The Official 2016/17 Football/Soccer Thread

Options

Comments

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The playoff system makes no sense can't be giving out trophies and away days to Wembley for been worse than second

This game is awful as well. 'Strangled by the occasion', as the commentator put it
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    City already signed two players, United need to get spending...

And Rooney has already said the only other club he could play for is Everton, so I doubt he would go back on that and sign for Stoke of all clubs haha

The Everton board is divided on bringing Rooney back.

Rooney can still do a job, whether it's a Gareth Barry type role of a bit more upfield in the Barkley position.

For me, the key consideration for Everton would be a) can we afford/justify the amount it would cost to get Rooney and b) are there better alternatives worth pursuing instead

What I'm reading is that it more the wages than anything else. But part of is wondering if they just want to get younger.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The playoff system makes no sense can't be giving out trophies and away days to Wembley for been worse than second

I prefer how French league does it; automatic promotion for the top 2 in Ligue 2 and automatic relegation for the bottom 2 in Ligue 1.

The team 18th in Ligue 1 has a two-legged playoff with the team that finishes 3rd in Ligue 2. Winner takes a Ligue 1 position, loser takes Ligue 2.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Driest match at Wembley in a long time. Neither of these teams deserve promotion.
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Danny Ward and Huddersfield yes!!
  • bigev240
    Options
    Driest match at Wembley in a long time. Neither of these teams deserve promotion.

Huddersfield should have won it earlier. They missed two clear cut chances.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of change I was talking to my friend he said there shouldn't be a top 4 it should just be a top 3 fa cup winners get the final champions league spot I wouldn't be mad at that at all.
  • TheRicanKing
    Options
    Speaking of change I was talking to my friend he said there shouldn't be a top 4 it should just be a top 3 fa cup winners get the final champions league spot I wouldn't be mad at that at all.

Not a good idea to me, especially since next season a team might need 80 points minimum already to get 4th place next season lol.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options
    Barcelona have confirmed Ernesto Valverde as their new head coach.

Former Barca forward Valverde announced last week that he was leaving Athletic Bilbao after four years in charge.

He replaces Luis Enrique, who revealed in March that he would leave the club - who finished second in La Liga - at the end of his three-year contract.

Enrique led Barcelona to the treble in his first season, the domestic double last term and the Copa del Rey this year.

They beat Alaves 3-1 in Sunday's final - his last match in charge.

Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu praised 53-year-old Valverde's "ability, judgement, knowledge and experience", adding: "He promotes young players and he plays the Barca way."

Valverde, who was born in the Spanish region of Extremadura but raised in the Basque Country, started his playing career as a forward with local sides Alaves and Sestao, before spending two years with Espanyol.

He joined Barcelona in 1988, at the age of 24, and scored eight goals in 22 matches in two injury-hit seasons with the club.

From there he went to Athletic Bilbao, the club his career is most strongly linked with, scoring 44 goals in 170 matches over six years. He ended his playing career with one season at Mallorca. He was capped once for Spain, playing 19 minutes at the end of a Euro 92 qualifier against Iceland.

Immediately after his 1997 retirement, he moved back to Athletic as a youth-team coach, eventually becoming first-team boss in the 2003-04 season. After leading them to fifth and ninth place in two seasons in charge, he left the club.

A year later he took over Espanyol and led them to the Uefa Cup final in his first of two seasons as manager.

He then went to Olympiakos, leading them to a Greek league and cup double, before leaving for a year at Valencia.

Valverde went back to Olympiakos for another two seasons, winning the league twice and the cup once before leaving again.

After returning to Athletic in 2013, he said: "Sequels are never any good. Well, the Godfather II was quite good."

In his first season back at the club - who can only sign players with links to the Basque region - he led them to fourth place in La Liga and a Champions League spot.

There were top-seven finishes for the next three seasons, including seventh this term, and a run to the 2014-15 Copa del Rey final. They beat Barcelona 5-1 on aggregate in the 2015 Spanish Super Cup.

Can Valverde revive Barca youth policy?

Barcelona have not brought through many youngsters in recent years. Rafinha and Sergi Roberto are the only two youth products younger than 28 who are regulars in the squad.

But Valverde - who has favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation - has plenty of experience giving young players a chance. As Athletic cannot buy non-Basque players, he often had to look to his youth team for players.

Defender Aymeric Laporte and winger Inaki Williams, who have both been linked with big-money moves to English clubs, became first-team regulars under Valverde. Right-back Inigo Lekue has been named in the Spain squad since his 2015 debut.

Valverde will also try to bring some defensive solidity to the club - he has often balanced defence and attack well. In 2009, Olympiakos conceded only 14 league goals on their way to the Greek title. Athletic never conceded more than 45 goals in a La Liga season during his second spell in charge.

Earlier this week, after Valverde left Athletic, and it was widely expected he would join Barcelona, Barca defender Gerard Pique said: "Ernesto has done a great job at Athletic the past few years. He played here for Barcelona as a player and I think he could be a good option, as could others."

During the season, Williams said: "He would be a good coach [for Barca], but we want him to remain at Athletic. He's brilliant, a great coach.

"He's done a great job. He's made history at the club - he's the coach with the most games. He has the final word and whatever happens I will be pleased for him." (BBC)
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options
    Boca Juniors fan faces charges for calling 911 to report 'two stolen points' after his side conceded a 96th-minute penalty equaliser against Huracan

It's never easy to take when your team concedes a late equaliser but one supporter might have gone a little overboard with his reaction on Saturday evening.

The Boca Juniors fan was so infuriated by a decision given against his side that he called the Argentine emergency services to report the robbery of two points.

He had just seen Boca concede a 96th-minute equaliser to Huracan from the penalty spot during a crucial Primera Division match which they drew 1-1.

And the supporter clearly felt the two points Boca dropped to the division's 24th-placed side constituted a serious crime.

The supporter told the operator he had been robbed by 50,000 people in Huracan's Parque Patricios stadium before hilariously spelling out the ground's address to confirm the location of the crime.
    When asked what they stole from him he replied 'two points' and clarified it by saying 'they gave a penalty against me just now.'

Dario Benedetto scored 15 minutes from time to put Boca in front before Alejandro Romero Gamarra netted Huracan's equaliser from the penalty spot deep into injury time.
    The result leaves Boca four points clear at the top of the Argentine Primera Division but second-placed River Plate, Boca's fierce rivals, have a game in hand.

Here is the full transcript of the phone call, translated from Spanish via Goal:
    Fan: I've just been robbed in Parque Patricios, 2400 Amancio Alcorta (Huracan's stadium address)
    Emergency Services: How many of them were there?
    Fan: 50,000
    ES: What did they steal from you?
    F: Two points
    ES: Two Points? I don't understand... they robbed two points of what from you?
    F: They gave a penalty against me just now
    ES: Sir, this is an emergency line
    F: Ok, ok, I was just annoyed. Fine, goodbye (ends call)

(DailyMail)
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll wait until it's confirmed on Arsenal.com

If so, Arsenal will be back in the top 4 and challenging for the league next year. Laugh now, I'll laugh in May.
  • bigev240
    Options

It would be a good and bad idea. Good because it will make teams play at full strength but bad because of the possibility that a Championship team or a team in the bottom half would either win or finish runner up and the team that wins have all ready qualified. I could see one of the top 6 ? about it.
  • TheRicanKing
    Options
    Looks like we naming Ernesto Valverde, the Bilbao manager, to be our manager.

@valentinez and any other Barca fan.

Don't you guys think you're becoming like Real Madrid and Real Madrid is becoming like You? I mean it as it relates to relying on Individuals vs Team.

The treble Pep won>>>>>>> Luis Enrique won not only because it prioritized teamwork over individuals but they dominated for a number of years where as Enrique could do nothing close after his treble. I'd imagine that being the reason as well Cruyff wasn't too keen on the direction the club was going. Seems like Cules on Reddit would have preferred Oscar Garcia who manages RB Sazlburg for this very reason.
  • TheRicanKing
    edited May 2017
    Options
    0bbbe0tv7e1b.jpg

All of these trophies will belong to Liverpool next season. (Replace Europa League with our 6th CL)

Except the put the pressure on trophy, all yours Spurs lol.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Looks like we naming Ernesto Valverde, the Bilbao manager, to be our manager.

@valentinez and any other Barca fan.

Don't you guys think you're becoming like Real Madrid and Real Madrid is becoming like You? I mean it as it relates to relying on Individuals vs Team.

The treble Pep won>>>>>>> Luis Enrique won not only because it prioritized teamwork over individuals but they dominated for a number of years where as Enrique could do nothing close after his treble. I'd imagine that being the reason as well Cruyff wasn't too keen on the direction the club was going. Seems like Cules on Reddit would have preferred Oscar Garcia who manages RB Sazlburg for this very reason.

Yes, Enrique had a more direct style. And we barely use our youth (which is supposedly one reason we hired Valverde).We rarely give them a chance and put them out on loan everywhere lol. Some wack signings that didn't work out as well. Tough position we're in cause we have to take advantage of the next few years of Messi's prime. I've read we're interested in Coutinho btw lol.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fckn lost money on that playoff game smh Ive actually grown to like the playoff system though, clearly 1st and 2nd deserve to go up automatically, but it adds excitement to your team when your in it, it can feel unfair if you end up 3rd and 6th go up... I think, is the Italian or Spanish league??? That have if you are 3rd and clear by like 18points over 4th you automatically go up aswell, but if not then the playoffs kick in???
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This the League One table from 2010/11... Four out of the 7 teams are now in the Premier League!!!

1. Brighton (promoted)
    2. Southampton (promoted)
    3. Huddersfield

4. Peterborough (promoted)
    5. MK Dons
    6. Bournemouth
    7. Leyton Orient
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A three year deal.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad Thomas Tuchel is leaving. Was never a fan of his. Was hoping he would have taken his ? to Arsenal.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options