The Official 2016/17 Football/Soccer Thread

Options

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ronaldo is better than Messi imo, because Ronny has adapted and evolved with age, started as a winger and moved to a striker as he got older... For someone who started as a wide player to score 600 goals is crazy... Giggs for instance started wide then moved to a more CM and leader but didnt score a goal in his last season or very often and played the bench alot as he got older, I cant remember Ronny ever playing the bench...

But Ronny has played or can play pretty much anywhere apart from in goal haha RW/LW/LM/RM/CM/CAM/CF/ST you name it he can play there which is mental when you think of it... Ronaldo can score pretty much every goal imaginable too, whereas Messi is a more conventional CF (i know he can play as LF/RF too), Messi can score some worldies with the ball at his feet, Maradona like goals that leave you speechless, whereas Ronny can pretty much do it all, in the air or the ground...

Plus Ronaldo has had to work his ass off to get as good as he has got, mad hours in the gym and on the training field, like alot of wide players he had all the talent, I remember (in my mind) him and Nani were almost equals at one point, then he just sky rocketed to the moon whereas Nani was one of the those frustrating players that sometimes showed glimpses of greatness but not enough to go to the next level...

Then Fergie (i think) told Ronaldo he needed to become a better header of the ball, after summer dude came back with a jump like Vince Carter and scoring goals with his head for fun haha

Imo apart from Messi's growth problem, he has always been what he is, a goal scorer and potential GOAT, hence why Barca probably bought him all the way over from South America to Spain at such a young age and had all that money invested in him to make him grow, whereas Ronny was a big talent that had to work at every aspect of his from his crossing, set pieces, constancy (which nani lacked), heading, goal scoring etc to become a GOAT...

All you're saying is CR7 is a better goal scorer, which is true. I'm sorry but to be the best player in the world, you need to leave everyone speechless with how you play the beautiful game consistently. Messi does that but everyone expects him to win everything just because he's Messi. People forget this is a team game when it comes to the debate between these two.

Also that argument of Ronaldo has done it in three leagues doesn't fly by me. So you're telling me Messi can't do it on a cold rainy day in stoke!? Bruh, how can you doubt messi tearing up the pl. He'd make de bruyne, ozil, eriksen assist numbers look miniscule lol. Besides that, he's been tearing apart teams from other leagues for years.

Until he does it, the answer is NO.

• blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is better than Messi imo, because Ronny has adapted and evolved with age, started as a winger and moved to a striker as he got older... For someone who started as a wide player to score 600 goals is crazy... Giggs for instance started wide then moved to a more CM and leader but didnt score a goal in his last season or very often and played the bench alot as he got older, I cant remember Ronny ever playing the bench...

But Ronny has played or can play pretty much anywhere apart from in goal haha RW/LW/LM/RM/CM/CAM/CF/ST you name it he can play there which is mental when you think of it... Ronaldo can score pretty much every goal imaginable too, whereas Messi is a more conventional CF (i know he can play as LF/RF too), Messi can score some worldies with the ball at his feet, Maradona like goals that leave you speechless, whereas Ronny can pretty much do it all, in the air or the ground...

Plus Ronaldo has had to work his ass off to get as good as he has got, mad hours in the gym and on the training field, like alot of wide players he had all the talent, I remember (in my mind) him and Nani were almost equals at one point, then he just sky rocketed to the moon whereas Nani was one of the those frustrating players that sometimes showed glimpses of greatness but not enough to go to the next level...

Then Fergie (i think) told Ronaldo he needed to become a better header of the ball, after summer dude came back with a jump like Vince Carter and scoring goals with his head for fun haha

Imo apart from Messi's growth problem, he has always been what he is, a goal scorer and potential GOAT, hence why Barca probably bought him all the way over from South America to Spain at such a young age and had all that money invested in him to make him grow, whereas Ronny was a big talent that had to work at every aspect of his from his crossing, set pieces, constancy (which nani lacked), heading, goal scoring etc to become a GOAT...

All you're saying is CR7 is a better goal scorer, which is true. I'm sorry but to be the best player in the world, you need to leave everyone speechless with how you play the beautiful game consistently. Messi does that but everyone expects him to win everything just because he's Messi. People forget this is a team game when it comes to the debate between these two.

Also that argument of Ronaldo has done it in three leagues doesn't fly by me. So you're telling me Messi can't do it on a cold rainy day in stoke!? Bruh, how can you doubt messi tearing up the pl. He'd make de bruyne, ozil, eriksen assist numbers look miniscule lol. Besides that, he's been tearing apart teams from other leagues for years.

Messi has done it against every team but Chelsea. Let's not forget what Valencia did at a rainy day in Stoke
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

You Manchester United fans are bias like dag. I get it though

Messi is only 29. Ronaldo 33. Messi already accomplish a couple more trophies. Career wise, the trajectory is moreso in Messi favor.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Figo wrote: »

Messi is only 29. Ronaldo 33. Messi already accomplish a couple more trophies. Career wise, the trajectory is moreso aimed to Messi.

He's 32. Messi will be 30. It's a small two year difference.

All I know is that those two eras are soon ending. 2020.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

Messi is only 29. Ronaldo 33. Messi already accomplish a couple more trophies. Career wise, the trajectory is moreso aimed to Messi.

True.
    After that period, it's open season.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True.

Those two being very rare world class talent, they attract a lot of other world class and very good players.

I wouldn't say they have a stranglehold on the CL, unless we're talking about R.Madrid only. The tide will turn.

And let me also say this. English clubs need to stop getting sligted for their current form. Between 2005-2012 there was an English team in the Final seven times in those eight years, with one all English final. Third most successful country in that competition. Put some respect on that. What about the German, French, Italian clubs?

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Gave him his jersey like he Jordan lol

Capela: this bout to do numbers on the gram
    Ronaldo: yo who this
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    @chgarcia345 has chemo been fired yet? Your squad lost 4-2 to comerciantes unidos :#
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nintchdbpict000329060460.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=815

Can't lie this is clean
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    @chgarcia345 has chemo been fired yet? Your squad lost 4-2 to comerciantes unidos :#
    https://youtu.be/E1toNHPSASU
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Come on hazard you can't say you will listen to Madrid then fracture your ankle.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its not just about goals, he was is/a brilliant assist maker too, he does it all... As does Messi, but I think Ronaldo does/done it better... And like @DNB1 said, until Messi has done it in another league like Ronaldo or Suarez even, actually even Neymar done it in his own country, Messi has spent his whole life wrapped up comfortable in Barca's system... So who knows how Messi would react out of his comfort zone, chances are very well... The fact Ronaldo is imo willing to out of his comfort zone, test himself, not go hiding and puts up stats makes wherever he does makes him the GOAT... Plus he played for United haha Oh and Ronaldo has done it internationally too, winning The Euros...
  • water ur seeds
    Options

True.

Those two being very rare world class talent, they attract a lot of other world class and very good players.

I wouldn't say they have a stranglehold on the CL, unless we're talking about R.Madrid only. The tide will turn.

And let me also say this. English clubs need to stop getting sligted for their current form. Between 2005-2012 there was an English team in the Final seven times in those eight years, with one all English final. Third most successful country in that competition. Put some respect on that. What about the German, French, Italian clubs?

Co-sign...
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Its not just about goals, he was is/a brilliant assist maker too, he does it all... As does Messi, but I think Ronaldo does/done it better... And like @DNB1 said, until Messi has done it in another league like Ronaldo or Suarez even, actually even Neymar done it in his own country, Messi has spent his whole life wrapped up comfortable in Barca's system... So who knows how Messi would react out of his comfort zone, chances are very well... The fact Ronaldo is imo willing to out of his comfort zone, test himself, not go hiding and puts up stats makes wherever he does makes him the GOAT... Plus he played for United haha Oh and Ronaldo has done it internationally too, winning The Euros...

Man foh with the Euros. Ronaldo did not single handedy win that, its a damn team sport ffs lol. Portugal won that through sheer luck and ? football too. And I think CR7 was pretty anonymous that tournamen. He did not do what Suarez did at liverpool with Portugal and even I know he's not on Messi's level.

And Messi is two years younger than CR7, already at a disadvantage there. And I'm fully aware he's played for a incredible United side and manager. If Messi were to go to the prem right now, he'd be going to Man City . It's stupid to think he wouldn't smash the prem in that squad. Anyway I'm done here. This arguement been dead since 2011 like i said. Ronaldo doesn't leave anyone speechless with his football.
  • TheRicanKing
    Options
    Salah deal should bd confirmed this week.. him and mane blitzing teams with their pace. I can't wait!
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2017
    Options

Man foh with the Euros. Ronaldo did not single handedy win that, its a damn team sport ffs lol. Portugal won that through sheer luck and ? football too. And I think CR7 was pretty anonymous that tournamen. He did not do what Suarez did at liverpool with Portugal and even I know he's not on Messi's level.

And Messi is two years younger than CR7, already at a disadvantage there. And I'm fully aware he's played for a incredible United side and manager. If Messi were to go to the prem right now, he'd be going to Man City . It's stupid to think he wouldn't smash the prem in that squad. Anyway I'm done here. This arguement been dead since 2011 like i said. Ronaldo doesn't leave anyone speechless with his football.

Who said he 'single handily won it'??? Re read it, he played his part whilst injured and the fact is HIS TEAM WON THE EUROS, who cares how??? And the FACT is Messi has stayed at Barca with a stacked team his whole career... He to my knowledge has been pampered at Barca since he was like 7 or something, given HGH to make him grow and everything... Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc have had to graft extra hard...

United were a great team with Ronlado, but the imo they WOULDNT of won what they did without a prime/nearly prime Ronaldo, whereas Barca would still be GOAT without Messi...

End of the day, who knows how Messi would do in the Prem, people said Pep would come here and smash it... He scraped Top4...

• TheRicanKing
    Options

Who said he 'single handily won it'??? Re read it, he played his part whilst injured and the fact is HIS TEAM WON THE EUROS, who cares how??? And the FACT is Messi has stayed at Barca with a stacked team his whole career... He to my knowledge has been pampered at Barca since he was like 7 or something, given HGH to make him grow and everything... Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc have had to graft extra hard...

United were a great team with Ronlado, but the imo they WOULDNT of won what they did without a prime/nearly prime Ronaldo, whereas Barca would still be GOAT without Messi...

End of the day, who knows how Messi would do in the Prem, people said Pep would come here and smash it... He scraped Top4...

So what you're saying is... Messi's talent isn't his own but some growth hormone creation Barcelona created in their labs..... okay. Look at what you're typing, so much bias lol.

I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/zyIgPqOpMWY

*drops mic*
  • water ur seeds
    Options

So what you're saying is... Messi's talent isn't his own but some growth hormone creation Barcelona created in their labs..... okay. Look at what you're typing, so much bias lol.

I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/zyIgPqOpMWY

*drops mic*

blog-2.gif
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Come on hazard you can't say you will listen to Madrid then fracture your ankle.

Hope he gets well soon. Even though I criticize him ALOT, he is still our best player. Hopefully he does not come back looking like Higuain.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Options
    Champions league final, all goals 1993-2016
    https://youtu.be/3VzllKn67Go
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nintchdbpict000329060460.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=815

Can't lie this is clean

giphy.gif
  • TheRicanKing
    Options
    Reports are coming in that VVD has agreed to join us over City and Chelsea. If true then including Salah, we just need a left back and a defensive mid. That would make this a fantastic transfer window.