The Official 2016-2017 NBA Thread (NBA Champs Warriors)

Options

Comments

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »
    AZTG wrote: »
    The Bulls had great man to man to defenders that could defend the warrior stars without having to switch. Throw MJ on Curry, Pippen on Durant, Rodman on Draymond to stop him from creating in transition.

The same goes on the other side, put klay on mj, pippen on Durant.

I think its closer than people think. I give the edge to the warriors but its a small edge.

Also, Kerr cant coach cause he gotta play on the Bulls.

Klay on MJ WTF??!!!?? Klay supposed to be some defensive juggernaut?

ALL these hypothetical is cool but in the 90s you wasnt jacking up threes like they are now. Is was a different era and mindset.

IMO Durant way better than Pippen but I would like to see that match up.

Better offensive player but no way is he way better than Pippen overall.

Pip is so underrated.
    IMO

I'm of the opinion that Pippen is overrated.

That stretch in OKC when Westbrook was out and it was the Durant show. Durant showed a whole lot to his game that people don't get to see because its not asked of him.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    Ros Gold Ownude is bad

They tryna take her away from us in the bay! She be sidelining part time for TNT and i know they want her permanently..
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Robert Horry takes unexpected shots at Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili

Robert Horry arguably is the NBA’s all-time greatest role player, given his contributions to seven championship teams spread over three franchises. If his role Monday was to provide scorching hot takes for ESPN, Horry proved pretty great at that too, taking unexpected shots at a pair of highly regarded former teammates, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

It’s one thing to posit that Hakeem Olajuwon was a better player than Duncan, but Horry took things several steps further on “The Jump,” not only declaring that the former Rockets center was massively superior, but also appearing to question the Spurs great’s “work ethic” and late-game trustworthiness. Later in the segment, he seemed to imply that it was incompetence on the part of Ginobili that cost San Antonio multiple titles.

Perhaps the “Jump” panel, including host Rachel Nichols and former players Paul Pierce and Stephen Jackson, should have seen the habañero-grade opinions coming, given that Horry was wearing a coat decorated with tacos. Nevertheless, the trio was taken aback when Horry, who won two titles with both the Rockets and Spurs, in addition to three with the Lakers (making him the only player not associated with the 1960s Celtics to earn seven rings), casually tossed this remark into an anecdote about his playing days: “Dream was 20 times better than Tim Duncan.”

Asked to explain that assertion, Horry replied “See, I’ve played with both. I know the work ethic of both, so I’ve seen it live.” That had Nichols exclaiming in disbelief, “Wait, did you just take a shot at Tim Duncan’s work ethic?”

Horry offered an initial denial, then praised the work ethic of former Lakers teammate Kobe Bryant as “the best ever,” before clarifying that he meant to compliment Olajuwon rather than demean Duncan. “I’ve seen these two guys in the gym. I know what Dream brought to practice. I know what Tim brought to practice,” he said.

“I know Tim, he brought work ethic to practice, but it’s an extra level,” Horry continued. “When you’re a superstar, you have to go the extra level. Not saying Tim’s not a superstar, but what Dream brought to the game is amazing.”

Horry went on to assert, “I don’t think people understand how good Olajuwon was,” a sentiment with which many basketball aficionados could agree. But he ventured back into questionable territory when he said, “I always tell people, you judge a player by what they cannot do. Who would you want on the line at the end of the game, Dream or Tim Duncan?”

“Tim Duncan,” Jackson, who won a ring with the 2003 Spurs, replied, to which Horry said, “You going to go with 85 percent, or you going to go with 70 percent from the free throw line?”

It’s unclear why Horry was citing those figures, given that Olajuwon was a .712 free throw shooter in the regular season, with a .719 mark in the playoffs, numbers not much better than Duncan’s (.696, .689). Horry also neglected to mention that Duncan was the centerpiece of five championship teams, while Olajuwon, with Horry’s help, won two rings.

Pierce, however, claimed that Olajuwon was fortunate to even have that pair of titles, noting that they came during the break in Michael Jordan’s Bulls career when the six-time champion was pursuing a goal of playing professional baseball. First, though, the recently retired Clipper, who won his own ring with the 2007-08 Celtics, said, “Dream was awesome, unbelievable. But he was not 20 times better than Tim Duncan. Not 20 times!”

Horry responded with, “I’m saying you would rather have Dream at the free throw line at the end of a game, and you’re down.”

“Dream is lucky Jordan retired,” Pierce replied. “You would only have five rings if Jordan didn’t retire.”

That’s when Horry delivered yet another unsolicited shot at a widely respected former teammate, telling Pierce, “Let me just say this: You got yours because, if Manu Ginobili would have did the things he was supposed to do, I would have had like 10 championships.”

Horry was apparently referencing the 2008 playoffs, in which the Lakers topped Ginobili, Horry and San Antonio en route to a Finals loss to Pierce’s Boston squad. He seemed to be blaming the Argentinean icon for stymieing two other championship runs for the Spurs.

Ginobili, a four-time titlist who is mulling retirement, and Duncan offered little, if anything, to criticize over their NBA careers, let alone accusations of being mistake-prone and relatively lax in preparation. But Horry seems to have arrived at the “Jump” set determined to give new meaning to his nickname, “Big Shot Bob.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/06/05/robert-horry-takes-unexpected-shots-at-tim-duncan-and-manu-ginobili/?utm_term=.b639e2a9f22f

Im a homer but I agree that people dont really understand how good of a player Dream was and he doesnt get enough props as one of the best of all time

I think any NBA fan knows how great Olajuwon was but Horry said the man was 20 times better and was way off on the free throw % numbers of both players.

I wouldn't argue with any NBA fan who thinks Olajuwon is better than Timmy but 20 times better is a damn stretch.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know yall ? got jokes,

But I just talked to CP3s cousin, we both work in the same building, and hes always flying out to LA to chill with him. Anyway, he told me the Spurs talks are just talks, and CP3 told him he was never leaving the Clippers.

Weirder things have happened, but I trust homie more than sports reports when it comes to CP3 news.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

#LamesCouldntWaitToHate
    #WhatYoFavoriteTeamDoingRightNow?

Aye, Bruh. I've pressed up some "The King Is Dead" shirts & hoodies Let me know what size you need after this sweep
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    But Jimmy butler >>> pippen so...

Nah
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Ros Gold Ownude is bad

They tryna take her away from us in the bay! She be sidelining part time for TNT and i know they want her permanently..

Add her to our stable here in the ATL. WE gave the old alcoholic up to ESPN. So we need to replenish.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm bias AF when it comes to Arkansas players. Cant fix my face to say he's better than KD though. Pippen is underrated btw
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pippen is great, and I feel that he gets underrated too. But, KD is a generational talent and potential to one day enter the top 10 players of all time. Not saying he is there, not saying he will be there, just saying at 28 years old, as good as hes been and will be for another 5-7 years, the potential is there.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We never going to hear the end of this ?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

#LamesCouldntWaitToHate
    #WhatYoFavoriteTeamDoingRightNow?

The more ppl cling to "last year" as your ONLY argument the Stupider u sound... what else u got?

That's a quote from YOUR coach 1 day ago, ? ....

And another thing....bro don't nobody respect yo post...
    It's well known cheap seats ain't got no real Warriors fan's....so youz viewed as a ban wagon dickrider...

Ain't been in here all year but when playoffs start you posting on the daily...? outta here

Exactly.... This ? came out the woodwork dickridin
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Yao Ming is in the same hall that the dream is in

Yao Ming is in the same rafters that the dream is in

Disgusting

but didnt Yao get in based on him being chinese and not b/c of his talent?

i mean, i went to a rockets game YEARS ago when the pels were the hornets and they came to NOLA and that ? was PACKED with asians coming to see him play

He made current warriors fans start watching the NBA back then so that's how he got in

Was just telling my brother how Golden State Warriors might as well be called the Beijing Warriors

Asian people only like winners.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »
    The Bulls had great man to man to defenders that could defend the warrior stars without having to switch. Throw MJ on Curry, Pippen on Durant, Rodman on Draymond to stop him from creating in transition.

The same goes on the other side, put klay on mj, pippen on Durant.

I think its closer than people think. I give the edge to the warriors but its a small edge.

Also, Kerr cant coach cause he gotta play on the Bulls.

Klay on MJ WTF??!!!?? Klay supposed to be some defensive juggernaut?

ALL these hypothetical is cool but in the 90s you wasnt jacking up threes like they are now. Is was a different era and mindset.

IMO Durant way better than Pippen but I would like to see that match up.

Better offensive player but no way is he way better than Pippen overall.

Pip is so underrated.
    IMO

Pippen better than Durant? Smh. The finals need need to end already so this thread can die till next year

See, I did not say Pippen was better. I said KD is not "way better overall".

Maybe he will be one day but so far to this point in his career, he's not "way better" than Pippen.

IMO.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

This is funny...but it's also a good thing that LeBron isn't one of those athletes that only defines themselves by them being an athlete. That article The Undefeated did on JR Smith last week JR spoke about being nervous because he has no clue what he wants to do after he retires. All he knows is being a basketball player. You hear alot of former athletes talk about that...
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »
    Mister B. wrote: »
    I hope CP3 leaves.....I'd take him in Philly.

? , we have a fuckload of cap space to do it, too (around $46M projected). That would solve the Lonzo Ball/Ben Simmons problems. Lonzo and Var could get the ? on, and Ben could play the 3 like he's supposed to.

A starting five of: CP, Josh Jackson or Malik Monk, Ben, Dario, and Joel could do serious damage in the East.
    xbbk46nvp5cf.gif

He's trying to win a Ring. Why in the blue ? would CP3 sign with Philly?

Why not? Who in the east poses a threat to Cleveland?

Boston?
    DC?
    Milwaukee??

That's a super young core that he could ride his prime out with and remain a serious contender for at least the next 4-5 years.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Disgusting

i mean, i went to a rockets game YEARS ago when the pels were the hornets and they came to NOLA and that ? was PACKED with asians coming to see him play

He made current warriors fans start watching the NBA back then so that's how he got in

Was just telling my brother how Golden State Warriors might as well be called the Beijing Warriors

True I never seen an Asian at a magic game

Your team is the poster child for fair weather fans dog. Remember this?

20-heat-fans-leave-too-early-miami-heat-hate-gifs.gif

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Disgusting

Those weren't heat lifers so its all good

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Disgusting

Y'all only got like 10 of em
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Disgusting

Y'all only got like 10 of em

LeBron being here got y'all trippin. You'd swear there were no fans before him. Hmm I wonder what happens when he retires though....do they become Cavs fans?