Looks like Section 8 is about to come to an end.

Options

Comments

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ignoring those videos..Frontline recently did a story on this specifically in Dallas.

"Billions of dollars are spent on housing the poor, yet so few get the help they need."
    (link to full documentary)
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/poverty-politics-and-profit/
    Cliffs: Whites make sure no new development near their homes or school district take section 8 vouchers, if they do they have the project shut down. Vouchers will only work if you find a place in a couple months; like no where accepts them.
    They have another one about how the rich steal all the money supposed to be used for affordable housing built in florida. No one checks to see how the money is spent ect. Its crazy.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    Ignoring those videos..Frontline recently did a story on this specifically in Dallas.

"Billions of dollars are spent on housing the poor, yet so few get the help they need."
    Cliffs: Whites make sure no new development near their homes or school district take section 8 vouchers, if they do they have the project shut down. Vouchers will only work if you find a place in a couple months; like no where accepts them.
    They have another one about how the rich steal all the money supposed to be used for affordable housing built in florida. No one checks to see how the money is spent ect. Its crazy.

Dope.

I listened to an NPR broadcast on the subject. They had a sister on the show who was recently divorced, had gotten a new job and was attempting to use her section 8 voucher in the better parts of Dallas. No one would accept her voucher. She ended up losing the voucher because, she didn't want to live in a ? part of town and wound up moving back in with her ex.

They also spoke with some white folks in the "better" parts of town. One chick said, well section 8 people aren't like us. LMAO. They wouldn't understand our neighborhood. Then of coarse continued on saying "it's not about race". LMAO
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Dope.

I listened to an NPR broadcast on the subject. They had a sister on the show who was recently divorced, had gotten a new job and was attempting to use her section 8 voucher in the better parts of Dallas. No one would accept her voucher. She ended up losing the voucher because, she didn't want to live in a ? part of town and wound up moving back in with her ex.

They also spoke with some white folks in the "better" parts of town. One chick said, well section 8 people aren't like us. LMAO. They wouldn't understand our neighborhood. Then of coarse continued on saying "it's not about race". LMAO

@Kwan Dai
    Thats actually in this video. I'm guessing you heard them speaking on this to promote it when it just came out. I'll make another thread later with the video on how the game the affordable housing system.

And if i remember correctly it was some white house wife saying that ? to stop them from building these apartments. And not even all of the units would of been section 8, just a few. Thats not even the craziest part. The developer (which is a black woman) would have to deal with police harassment. They'd come and block her construction workers from coming to the job site to finish the project, ? was crazy.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dope.

only goat'd cuz you listen to npr
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I say false,

The Las Vegas section 8 waiting list just opened up for the first time in years. And it's about to remain open for 2 months.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    People take advantage of everything and cheat in all walks of life. This country should be taking pride in helping their own.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    I say false,

The Las Vegas section 8 waiting list just opened up for the first time in years. And it's about to remain open for 2 months.

False?

There will be openings. The issue is, whether a landlord wants to take a section 8 voucher in parts of town with better opportunity.
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    People take advantage of everything and cheat in all walks of life. This country should be taking pride in helping their own.

this is so underrated for some many reasons outside of just section 8
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    @Turfaholic
    whats wrong with listening to NPR
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    if theres money to help out Israel and all these other countries why isnt there money to help out here.

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I only have sympathy for the kids caught up in the ? of their parents(father & mother).

Fixed that to give a more accurate reflection to what's actually going on.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    Thumbnails tell me those videos are on some fuckery.

@brown321

Nah, they're definitely talking about some of the fuckery that goes on with Section 8.........but they're on point with what they're saying.

Especially the old man.
  • deadeye
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    Take that to both my baby mamas!!!!70v5inh10kfy.gif?

@Maywood

Since the government will no longer be covering the bulk of their housing costs, doesn't that mean you're gonna end up paying more in child support?
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Just finding out about this after browsing Youtube.

Some interesting perspectives.

Sounds like ? 's about to get hectic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvUABWuiFxY

? look like after 10pm he ? up any fuction with his ? ass

Someone gotta tell him cool out on the drank unc, and ? gone just start agreeing with him to get him quiet.
  • deadeye
    Options
    We
    Using YouTube videos as evidence lololololol

You'd be surprised at how much you can learn from youtube.

Now, if your'e looking for intricate policy discussion.......then you might have to go elsewhere.

But most of the people in the videos see this ? upfront, so they're gonna give you a perspective that you won't get on any major news outlets.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Maywood

Since the government will no longer be covering the bulk of their housing costs, doesn't that mean you're gonna end up paying more in child support?

Them broads should be working and taking care of the kid anyway or let the father take care of them
  • deadeye
    edited June 2017
    Options

@Maywood

Them broads should be working and taking care of the kid anyway or let the father take care of them

True, but you know how the courts are.

Just letting dude know he shouldn't be too quick to celebrate something that's might hit his pockets more.

Now, if he's already got custody of his kids.......he's good.

If not, then this is either an opportunity for him to try and get full custody.......or he's gonna end up paying more in child support.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^But you chose them..
    Sir That's Not true In both cases..I was chosen
    yiosxbx3xsgr.gif
    I catch you outside I'm beating you the ? up
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    ^^But you chose them..

Nope. They were perfect angels and they didn't show their true colors until this upstanding gentleman impregnated them.

how upstanding can you be when knocking up a chick outside of marriage? At least if she gets knocked up and wants to keep the baby an upstanding gentleman would make an honest woman out of her.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dope.

@Kwan Dai
    Thats actually in this video. I'm guessing you heard them speaking on this to promote it when it just came out. I'll make another thread later with the video on how the game the affordable housing system.

And if i remember correctly it was some white house wife saying that ? to stop them from building these apartments. And not even all of the units would of been section 8, just a few. Thats not even the craziest part. The developer (which is a black woman) would have to deal with police harassment. They'd come and block her construction workers from coming to the job site to finish the project, ? was crazy.

look into the HBO series "Show Me A Hero" if you haven't already have. the show runner also created "The Wire"

it was about the controversy over a federal affordable housing policy being enacted in Yonkers, New York, in the late 1980s

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I wonder if this will slow pregnancy
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

David Simon and Cory Booker on ‘Show Me a Hero’ and the Future of Cities

By MICHAEL KIMMELMANAUG. 12, 2015

Senator Cory Booker, left, and David Simon, the creator of HBO’s "The Wire" and “Show Me a Hero,” discuss the Yonkers desegregation case, poverty, race and housing. Credit Zach Gibson/The New York Times

When the elevator door at the housing project opens onto two men seemingly dealing drugs, a young mother, loaded down with groceries, wordlessly opts to lead her small children lugging backpacks up the decrepit stairs. Across town, an all-white mob fumes before an all-white city council, which eggs it on. Later, a man spits on the mayor, who defies the angry crowd.

A new HBO mini-series, which kicks off on Sunday, looks back on a notorious episode of racial discord that unfolded just north of New York City: Some three decades ago, Federal Judge Leonard B. Sand ordered the city of Yonkers to desegregate. Back then, Yonkers (population 188,000) was 85 percent white, with nearly all its black and Hispanic residents clustered in housing projects to the west. The court mandated 200 units of low-rise subsidized housing to blend into white neighborhoods to the east. Local officials, caving in to white constituents, nearly bankrupted the city by resisting the judge’s ruling. A 28-year-old former policeman, Nick Wasicsko, became mayor on a pledge to oppose integration.
    Photo

Then Mr. Wasicsko took office. Mounting federal penalties cut local services and threatened more and more layoffs. The young mayor changed course and saw to it that the city obeyed the law. He was soon booted out, but, grudgingly, Yonkers began to integrate. “Show Me a Hero,” a six-episode series about the controversy, created by David Simon (“The Wire,” “Treme”) and based on a 1999 book by Lisa Belkin, a former reporter for The New York Times, stars Oscar Isaac as the ill-fated Wasicsko. Like so much of Mr. Simon’s work, the show puts a human face on all sides of the conflict.

For the occasion, we asked Mr. Simon to join Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, in Mr. Booker’s Washington office (and in follow-up emails), to talk about the show, cities, race and space. As a boy, Mr. Booker experienced something of the Yonkers tale. His was the only black household in a middle-class white New Jersey neighborhood. He became a young mayor, too, in Newark, a city with its own history of racial tension and housing troubles.

After desegregation, Yonkers suffered white flight and its schools took a hit. The population in 2010 was 56 percent white. The city changed but it also moved past the deep racial divide that defined the struggle in the 1980s. In the edited conversation that follows, Mr. Booker and Mr. Simon traded ideas about cities as America’s future, where not just the economy and creative capital but also equality and justice need to be worked out.

Q. David, you’ve wanted to tell this Yonkers story for a while.

DAVID SIMON Well, Gail Mutrux, who was a producer on [NBC’s] “Homicide” years ago, a show that I was on, sent me the book a couple years after it came out. HBO optioned [it], and then a lot of things intervened that have nothing to do with that project. “The Wire” came up. Then “Generation ? .” And “Treme.” So it kept getting bumped, but we kept working on the scripts because guess what? Race isn’t going away as an American political dynamic. It transforms itself.
    Photo

[Yonkers] was such an obvious allegory for a world that a lot of people want to pretend is post-racial, but is actually an even greater tangle now that the country’s being asked to actually contemplate not just sharing space, which is problematic enough, but sharing power.

I was a white kid in Yonkers while all this was happening. The history is unambiguous. Yonkers intentionally segregated it's housing,...

Mr. Booker's story rings a personal bell. In 1970 my parents sold our house to the first black family in a nice, northern New Jersey suburb...

SENATOR CORY BOOKER What I saw in that first episode [of the series] was so charged for me as somebody who has dealt with these issues for my entire professional career, and it touched on so many chords for me. I grew up in a small town, Harrington Park, N.J., that my parents were initially denied entrance to. They had to get a white couple to pose as them through the Fair Housing Council in order to be the first black family to move into the town. Literally, a fight broke out at the closing, with the real estate agent realizing he was caught in a ruse.

This was 1969, and so I was a senior in high school in ’87 when this [series starts]. What most Americans don’t realize is a lot of the challenges we’re struggling with today are the result of conscious housing policies. In fact, so many families in America made their wealth or secured their status as middle class through housing, and you have the government systematically devaluing neighborhoods — taking away that wealth, in effect — then concentrating poverty very consciously. Newark is called Brick City, because it had these canyons of high rise [projects]. So, when you showed that woman trying to get into the elevator, I have those memories of guys playing dice against the wall, of seeing mothers taking stairways filled with all kinds of depressing or painful realities. Many people ascribe those things to African-Americans, but that is their government creating this outrageous policy to create dense poverty in the very areas where jobs and resources were leaving.

And then very often failing to provide assistance and money to sustain those projects, so leaving the people in them with no resources. David, your mission is clearly to humanize abstract issues like housing, poverty and race for television.
    Photo

SIMON In the case of the Yonkers project, what we hope drives the piece forward is having a very good actor maneuvering through a character arc that is something of a Shakespearean tragedy. And Oscar Isaac portraying Nick Wasicsko’s rise and fall is very much that. If we can get you to care about Nick, we might just have a chance to tell a story about hyper-segregation, public housing and politics.

Nowadays, there’s an increasingly entrenched libertarian notion in our political culture: Well, why is the government even providing housing to anybody? What is this public housing you speak of, and why are we dealing with it? It’s sort of an astonishing moment of political amnesia, because the concept of public housing has its origins in the New Deal. These structures were built for white people in the Depression to allow families to regroup and retrench in hard times and to move on from there, and then it had a second generation in terms of the returning veterans when there was a housing shortage after World War II.
    Photo

These projects were white, and nobody had the slightest doubt that this was effective government policy at the time. But of course you can’t take it forward two generations to a time where deindustrialization has happened. The same economic levers for getting out of the projects are no longer there, and now the clientele for public housing is people of color. It creates a completely different dynamic.

BOOKER We now see incredible data coming out about children growing up. Poor children who grew up in more diverse neighborhoods, diverse economically, do so much better than poor kids who are growing up in concentrated neighborhoods of poverty. It’s yet another highlighting of how wrong our policy’s been all these years by creating these concentrated, dense pockets of poverty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/arts/television/david-simon-and-cory-booker-on-show-me-a-hero-and-the-future-of-cities.html?_r=0