Oldest human bones found!! Even older than the previous ones, Altering History of Our Species!!!!!!!

Options
PILL_COSBY
PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
How long has our species been around? New fossils from Morocco push the evidence back by about 100,000 years.

The bones, about 300,000 years old, were unearthed thousands of miles from the previous record-holder, found in fossil-rich eastern Africa. The new discovery reveals people from an early stage of our species' evolution, with a mix of modern and more primitive traits.

"They are not just like us," said Jean-Jacques Hublin, one of the scientists reporting the find. But they had "basically the face you could meet on the train in New York."

Coupled with other evidence, the Moroccan fossils suggest that ? sapiens may have reached its modern-day form in more than one place within Africa, said Hublin, of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, and the College of France in Paris.

Previously, the oldest known fossils clearly from ? sapiens were from Ethiopia, at about 195,000 years old.

It's not clear just when or where ? sapiens came on the scene in Africa. Hublin said he thinks an earlier stage of development preceded the one revealed by his team's discovery.

We evolved from predecessors who had differently shaped skulls and often heavier builds, but were otherwise much more like us than, say, the ape-men that came before them. Our species lived at the same time as some related ones, like Neanderthals, but only we survive.

Hublin and others described the new findings in two papers released Wednesday by the journal Nature . The discovery could help illuminate how our species evolved, Chris Stringer and Julia Galway-Witham of the Natural History Museum in London wrote in a Nature commentary.

The Moroccan specimens were found between 2007 and 2011 and include a skull, a jaw and teeth, along with stone tools. Combined with other bones that were found there decades ago but not correctly dated, the fossil collection represents at least five people, including young adults, an adolescent and a child of around 8 years old. Analysis shows their brain shape was more elongated than what people have today.

"In the last 300,000 years, the main story is the change of the brain," Hublin said.

When these ancient people lived, the site in Morocco was a cave that might have served as a hunting camp, where people butchered and ate gazelles and other prey. They used fire and their tools were made of flint from about 25 miles (40 kilometers) away.

So where did the fully modern human body develop? The researchers say evidence suggests primitive forms of ? sapiens had already widely spread throughout Africa by around 300,000 years ago. The different populations may have exchanged beneficial genetic mutations and behaviors, gradually nudging each other toward a more modern form of the species, Hublin said. In this way, he said in an interview, modern ? sapiens may have arisen in more than one place.

So if there's a Garden of Eden, he said, it's the continent as a whole.

Some experts who didn't participate in the research called that idea possible, although not yet demonstrated. But John Shea, an anthropologist at Stony Brook University in New York, said it's more useful to think of the different local populations as a single one, connected the same way a big city is connected by subway stops.

"These are parts of a network," through which ideas and genes flowed, he said.

Shea said it made sense to find such old traces of early ? sapiens in northwestern Africa. He agreed that it doesn't mean our species first appeared there.

"When it comes to evidence for human origins in northwest Africa versus eastern Africa versus southern Africa, it's a tie," he wrote in an email.

Richard Potts of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History said the Morocco fossils "appear to reflect the very early transition to ? sapiens, very possibly denoting the outset of the lineage to which all people belong."

The site is about 34 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of the coastal city of Safi, northwest of Marrakech. Its age was determined chiefly by analyzing bits of flint found there, and the authors concluded they were around 315,000 years old. Hublin said that since a different method suggested a younger age for the site, he considers the bones to be about 300,000 years old.

Richard Roberts of the University of Woollongong in Australia, an expert in determining ages of ancient sites, supported that conclusion.

"I'd say the authors have presented pretty convincing evidence for the presence of early modern humans at this site by 300,000 years ago and perhaps a little earlier," Roberts wrote in an email.

08FOSSIL2-superJumbo.jpg
giphy.gif

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this says alot to me but is this motivating anyone else tho?

or is it back to we was kings and queens and the first people but.....
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this says alot to me but is this motivating anyone else tho?

or is it back to we was kings and queens and the first people but.....

This ? shouldn't matter to anyone outside of Anthropological interests. Humanity coming from Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago doesn't mean much in relation to modern society.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    WOW look at that healthy set of teeth.
    4120D58B00000578-4574046-image-a-126_1496678838639.jpg

Wow, they finding complex huge structures that seem impossible even by today's standards. Built waaaay past the time mainstream scientist and waaaaay past mainstream religions estimations. They claim humans were not capable of this. Now we finding bones even older than the previous ones in east africa. I remember they found a cave painting with human standing next to dinosaurs. They showed a T-rex with feathers. Not too long ago they found big ass well preserved feathers near T-rex bones.......

Doyouwanttogotoheaven? aint gone like this. Can't wait till they find alien bones.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard that only non blacks have cave man dna kromag
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2017
    Options

That depends on what you call "black." I don't think people in the heart of Africa have nonhomosapien DNA, but most in the diaspora outside of Africa probably do.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That depends on what you call "black." I don't think people in the heart of Africa have nonhomosapien DNA, but most in the diaspora outside of Africa probably do.

U mean im polluted with cave man not pure :s im no better than a capetown colored
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    But the earth is only 6,000 yrs old!!!!!!!1111!!!!

6,000 Jupiter years. Get it right gabi. Geez.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One report on this I saw said that it was the Caucasian women who mated with the Neanderthal males. Kinda like that old movie clan of the cave bear.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imo we are millions of years old. I'm not an archeologist so I guess I wouldn't know a thing about ancient human antiquity and these people could be lying but I believe we've been doing this ? over and over and over trying to ? of type 0 civilization successfully.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

another way to look at it is if humans evolved from chimpanzees, how come human fossils predate consistently the earliest chimpanzee fossils?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    INB4 wypipo deny this and believe they came from the mountain tops of Valhalla.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't no ? sapien
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    gibor wrote: »
    luke1733 wrote: »

another way to look at it is if humans evolved from chimpanzees, how come human fossils predate consistently the earliest chimpanzee fossils?

We didn't man. We have a common ANCESTOR. Huge ? difference.

There was a divergence somewhere along the line that caused our bloodline to prioritize intellect so that became the adaptation that was most advantageous in the environment, hence they mated the most. multiply the most intelligent of the species mating more than the rest a few million times and here we are.

The chimp bloodline probably prioritized strength, seeing as though they are many times stronger despite being smaller

Oh yeah, arguments keep changing or adding every now and then. It was absolutely once stated we were descended from chimpanzees. It's changed now. There was a time when many people were arguing against humans being descended from chimpanzees and those anthropologists were calling people stupid and crazy and creationists/intelligent design believers for even challenging the theory. Now, it is accepted that we aren't descended from chimps, but are in the same family. Even the internet erases the history that was popular 15 years ago.
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_07
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ain't come from no monkey and scientist have no clue how old the earth is or how long we have be here.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gibor wrote: »

We didn't man. We have a common ANCESTOR. Huge ? difference.

There was a divergence somewhere along the line that caused our bloodline to prioritize intellect so that became the adaptation that was most advantageous in the environment, hence they mated the most. multiply the most intelligent of the species mating more than the rest a few million times and here we are.

The chimp bloodline probably prioritized strength, seeing as though they are many times stronger despite being smaller

Oh yeah, arguments keep changing or adding every now and then. It was absolutely once stated we were descended from chimpanzees. It's changed now. There was a time when many people were arguing against humans being descended from chimpanzees and those anthropologists were calling people stupid and crazy and creationists/intelligent design believers for even challenging the theory. Now, it is accepted that we aren't descended from chimps, but are in the same family. Even the internet erases the history that was popular 15 years ago.
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_07

It was never that tho. It's always been "common ancestor".

People with poor reading comprehension and listening skills keep getting it ? up
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    One report on this I saw said that it was the Caucasian women who mated with the Neanderthal males. Kinda like that old movie clan of the cave bear.

Racial differences in human beings is actually really recent. The gene mutation that creates blue eyes and blonde hair only appeared between 20,000 and 10,000 years ago.

We were ? Neanderthals and Denisovans 70,000 to 50,000 years ago.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "300, 000 year-old bones." On an assumed scale of 1 to X,000,000's.

giphy.gif
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @DoUwant2go2Heaven