Bill Maher Drops the N-Word on His Show Tonight.. Twitter Going Crazy

Options

Comments

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Bill Maher HBO trotted out the intellectual ? , the street-wise well known entertainer, and the obligatory black woman ? show ponies.....looks like all bases were covered....everyone talked.....nothing happened....the audience clapped...damage control accomplished.
    I guess u people have been re-programmed and are free to run along your way in bliss. Until next time.

@leftcoastkev for the sake of conversation... what exactly would you like the outcome to be? They should cancel his show? What are your thoughts on that?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you were waiting for a white owned establishment to reprimand or fire a white pundit for utilizing his white privelige, your priorities are out of place.

The important thing to pay attention to here is that Bill Maher had to apologize on his own platform and 3 very different Black people were able to voice their thoughts on why he was wrong, again I say, on his platform.

Dr. Dyson was right about one thing especially: Bill Maher, white privilege or not, isn't the guy we should be trying to destroy when his platform is doing more in the political atmosphere than most comedians by far, including Trevor Noah and the now canceled Larry Wilmore.

Bill got out of line and was put in place. The fact that he didn't double down on his disrespect, claim to be a victim of "reverse racism", or shrug it off as a benefit of "comedic license" should be acknowledged.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well Bill Maher HBO trotted out the intellectual ? , the street-wise well known entertainer, and the obligatory black woman ? show ponies.....looks like all bases were covered....everyone talked.....nothing happened....the audience clapped...damage control accomplished.
    I guess u people have been re-programmed and are free to run along your way in bliss. Until next time.

@leftcoastkev for the sake of conversation... what exactly would you like the outcome to be? They should cancel his show? What are your thoughts on that?

As a black person, I personally wouldn't have agreed to sit and discuss anything with them. They were there to be used for damage control. I wouldn't agree to be used for that purpose.

Could care less if his show got cancelled. He showed his colors years ago which led me to stop watching. I'd prefer that the blowback from his latest "mistake" play out without assistance. That assistance ultimately made the takeaway from the show as: "see the blacks were a little upset but ultimately we've all moved on now".
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you were waiting for a white owned establishment to reprimand or fire a white pundit for utilizing his white privelige, your priorities are out of place.

The important thing to pay attention to here is that Bill Maher had to apologize on his own platform and 3 very different Black people were able to voice their thoughts on why he was wrong, again I say, on his platform.

Dr. Dyson was right about one thing especially: Bill Maher, white privilege or not, isn't the guy we should be trying to destroy when his platform is doing more in the political atmosphere than most comedians by far, including Trevor Noah and the now canceled Larry Wilmore.

Bill got out of line and was put in place. The fact that he didn't double down on his disrespect, claim to be a victim of "reverse racism", or shrug it off as a benefit of "comedic license" should be acknowledged.
    Agree, i was actually half expecting that but he didnt

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Brian B. wrote: »
    The problem is Killer Mike deflected. I get his point. But if he wants to speak on black empowerment then that would be a different topic of discussion. And not a tool to deflect into a "but what are y'all ? doing though" talk.

Well yea it is

you come at a black entrepreneur who employs blacks

it's like ok, well what are you doin?

Well Trump has employed black people and has given money to black organizations does that mean he's above criticism?

Man don't play stupid

yall callin him ? actin like he was proud Bill said it, show me the receipts

he basically said black folks need to focus on more important issues

I mean, how many of yall ? watch Real Time to make an enough impact if we boycott & stop watchin?

? can walk and chew gum at the same time. Calling out a suspected racist and getting at a black man for deflecting doesn't mean black people don't also understand that there are bigger issues. This is the IC right? Just because we clown around in one thread doesn't mean we can't get serious when the topic warrants.

Callin a black man who gives back to his community a ? ? smh

? that & anyone who defends it, I ain't ridin w/ yall

I don't think Killer Mike is a ? but it's quite understandable WHY some people would call him one, especially when Mike tries to deflect off the comments ? Bill Maher made. Mike would've been better off simply shutting the ? up and letting Bill stew in the heat for his comments, but ? can't help themselves. Ditto for Michael Eric Dyson too his comments in defense of Maher was unnecessary too.

smh... post what Mike has said or done that makes it "understandable" why people would call him a ?

I'll wait...
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a black person, I personally wouldn't have agreed to sit and discuss anything with them. They were there to be used for damage control. I wouldn't agree to be used for that purpose.

Could care less if his show got cancelled. He showed his colors years ago which led me to stop watching. I'd prefer that the blowback from his latest "mistake" play out without assistance. That assistance ultimately made the takeaway from the show as: "see the blacks were a little upset but ultimately we've all moved on now".

Well Cube was already scheduled to appear and of course after the situation was expected to weigh in. Dyson is someone he has a personal relationship with. I don't see the problem with trying to control the damage (when the damage could be losing his show) if he knows someone that can vouch for him that there was probably no hostility and racial animus intended by the statement and he doesn't really have a record of saying things that would indicate he is harboring that. What he said was offensive and ignorant, and considerably arrogant that he would even feel comfortable enough to go there. But it aint on par with going on an extended out-of-control racist tirade against a black man who heckles your comedy show and it aint the same as calling some girls playing b-ball nappy head hoes.

What he said should be checked and we can evaluate his level of contrition. I don't care if his show is cancelled because he made his own bed, but I definitely dont think its necessary.

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah that was a good show. Cube said his part, accepted the apology and said enough about that and said now lets laugh. That joke where Bill put up that picture of dude and said something like this is a picture of what men look like to strippers was funny. Dude went on a roll and you could hear Cube and everybody laughing at it.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

I understand cause you don't watch the show but...

Minus Michael Eric Dyson Those Guest where already scheduled prior to all this back lash...
    I believe they showed who was next weeks guest on the end of the episode.

But wasn't Maher the only one in the media who when those Cops got shot in Dallas ... He said ... "I don't condone killing cops... but I understand the motivation... Im surprised somebody didn't fire back sooner."

• chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao

Hahaha damn
  • sideon1984
    sideon1984 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options
    And the fact that anybody would call Killer Mike a ? is soooooo sad.

Killer Mike is the most legitimate representation of black empowerment that you can get nowadays.
    He banks black, Went to a black college, Speaks loudly on black issues including op-eds, lectures to students and , interviews on NPR and PBS.

Not only that he Owns a barber shop (a few) that Im sure employs black people in the back community. Plus he's Married to a black woman ...

The word ? and killer Mike should in no way be associated with each other... But I understand if your a loser online with selective outrage syndrome .... I get it.

And yet couldn't bring himself to check his buddy when he got outta pocket. All that other stuff is good and all, but if you're giving white people a pass to call you ? then it makes you look foolish.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    The problem is Killer Mike deflected. I get his point. But if he wants to speak on black empowerment then that would be a different topic of discussion. And not a tool to deflect into a "but what are y'all ? doing though" talk.

Well yea it is

you come at a black entrepreneur who employs blacks

it's like ok, well what are you doin?

Well Trump has employed black people and has given money to black organizations does that mean he's above criticism?

Man don't play stupid

yall callin him ? actin like he was proud Bill said it, show me the receipts

he basically said black folks need to focus on more important issues

I mean, how many of yall ? watch Real Time to make an enough impact if we boycott & stop watchin?

? can walk and chew gum at the same time. Calling out a suspected racist and getting at a black man for deflecting doesn't mean black people don't also understand that there are bigger issues. This is the IC right? Just because we clown around in one thread doesn't mean we can't get serious when the topic warrants.

Callin a black man who gives back to his community a ? ? smh

? that & anyone who defends it, I ain't ridin w/ yall

I don't think Killer Mike is a ? but it's quite understandable WHY some people would call him one, especially when Mike tries to deflect off the comments ? Bill Maher made. Mike would've been better off simply shutting the ? up and letting Bill stew in the heat for his comments, but ? can't help themselves. Ditto for Michael Eric Dyson too his comments in defense of Maher was unnecessary too.

smh... post what Mike has said or done that makes it "understandable" why people would call him a ?

I'll wait...

What thread are we in again?
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For real cube lost all respect from me, I would have respected him more if he would have canceled. This is Mr ? the police , and a ? is a ? , and he sensitive about this come on man, Mr ? a ? on site, you will disrespect your own women ? your own fellow brother, say ? the people who serve and protect you but won't defend yourself from white supremesy, I think I just defined a ?
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    For real cube lost all respect from me, I would have respected him more if he would have canceled. This is Mr ? the police , and a ? is a ? , and he sensitive about this come on man, Mr ? a ? on site, you will disrespect your own women ? your own fellow brother, say ? the people who serve and protect you but won't defend yourself from white supremesy, I think I just defined a ?

arent we all lucky that Ice Cube not as obtuse as you.
  • rebootx1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    And by your definition he is right be cut he is more popular than me, ? is doomed, u can buy a ? cheaper than in slavery days now, do the inflation, that's why it's easy for someone like young thug to say here go 10k ? , you look like u from Africa, long as he got more money he right
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    I'm most upset with white folk's reaction and comments to Cube and what he said. Yeah, we say it and he gets checks off saying it. But Europeans have accumulated all kinds of wealth, resources and privilege through oppression and saying it but as soon as we take what you used to keep us in check and own it, then say you can't have it anymore, then its a problem and he's a hypocrite? ? that, you can kiss my ass.

That scene in Malcolm X when Malcolm told the white girl that asked what could she do to help in the struggle is some of the realist ? that white people could ever do, and I'd respect them more as a people if they did what Malcolm told her at that moment--NOTHING. Respect our wishes and stay out of the way, because them voicing their thoughts on how we take and deal with ? in our own community is irritating to say the least.

Except that Malcolm said later that he regretted telling that white girl she could do nothing.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/9805906#Comment_9805906

• rebootx1
    Options
    Why Bill Maher Gets A Pass When Paula Deen, Donal…: http://youtu.be/qEUqVqR0exw
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    And by your definition he is right be cut he is more popular than me, ? is doomed, u can buy a ? cheaper than in slavery days now, do the inflation, that's why it's easy for someone like young thug to say here go 10k ? , you look like u from Africa, long as he got more money he right

Your strawberry mother musta been on a helluva ? binge when she had yo stupid ass. Everything you say is ? stupid. Your existence is ? stupid.
  • rebootx1
    Options
    Once again I'm bringing facts and logic and your calling me names. Your insulting my mother which you don't know who is deceased and calling me stupid and this supports your theory how???
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    I'm most upset with white folk's reaction and comments to Cube and what he said. Yeah, we say it and he gets checks off saying it. But Europeans have accumulated all kinds of wealth, resources and privilege through oppression and saying it but as soon as we take what you used to keep us in check and own it, then say you can't have it anymore, then its a problem and he's a hypocrite? ? that, you can kiss my ass.

That scene in Malcolm X when Malcolm told the white girl that asked what could she do to help in the struggle is some of the realist ? that white people could ever do, and I'd respect them more as a people if they did what Malcolm told her at that moment--NOTHING. Respect our wishes and stay out of the way, because them voicing their thoughts on how we take and deal with ? in our own community is irritating to say the least.

Except that Malcolm said later that he regretted telling that white girl she could do nothing.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/9805906#Comment_9805906
    Doesn't mean that them staying out of the way wouldn't still be highly effective for our society.