Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I love my region
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    i listen to ? from Andre Nickatina to Jedi Mind Tricks dope hip hop is dope hip hop

all era's of hip hop
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    StreetRap wrote: »
    I grew up in the era when your rap had to be real

this era your rap has to be corky and out of pocket

bruh said corky lmao
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    Stew wrote: »
    Yes.
    If ? is not from America i tend not to like it, although i do like a couple uk acts.

I'm talkin about domestically bro :joy:

in his defense you did put one of the options as "nah my ears global"
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I prefer listening to artists from the South and West Coast. It's more relatable to me. I am a tad bit biased *shrugs*
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    It's more of a sound bias than anything. Some only like songs that go hard in the whip, while others only like to listen to the lyrics with headphones, some only like strip club music, some party music, some gangsta rap etc... Sometimes those type of songs are primarily found in one region.

I can listen to lupe then go to future then to kendrick and next to currensy depends on the mood.

Have to agree with this post. I think there should be a poll. "Are you bias to a type of sound ". I can tell you now, I don't mess with any rapper that mess with autotune, with the exception of tpain. But he sings though. Now, if it is hit, I won't deny. Not a future fan at all, but I would be lying if I said I don't have a few of his tracks on my play list. But I would never buy a whole album from him or see him live. I'm from the dmv area. Raised on 90's music. Lot of my collection is from artist up north. I started venturing out around 2000. Became a fan of 36mafia around that time. Did some more digging for southern music and started to listen to scarface, luda, wayne, and some others. As I get older, I find myself listening to edm, rnb, and some pop now a days. Rap/hip-hop will always be first though.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I like music from all over but prefer Bay Area because I relate to it more.

E.g.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRbNvj8CNOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7_aZ7uuw8
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    Cain wrote: »
    I'm from the South and I prefer lyrics and not dumbdowned

Are you saying us down south prefer dumb downed music? I don't quite understand how you being from the south has anything to do with what you like.
  • chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I'm not biased to my own region but I'm partial to NY and Virgina's sound
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I think we all are just a lil bit

Socrates asked whose bias do y'all seek
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    I'm from the South and I prefer lyrics and not dumbdowned

Are you saying us down south prefer dumb downed music? I don't quite understand how you being from the south has anything to do with what you like.

You don't understand how being from the south reflects what you like.....but you picked that your bias....doesnt make much sense
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    I like everything from the super lyrical bar rap, to the ignorant ? trap ? . I bump it all
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trash is trash and i dont feel bad for calling ? trash. Anyway the last decade or so the sounds and styles of hip hop have blended so much you cant tell whos from where unless they where they're from. Old heads and ? that ? compromised their regional sound by mimicking other regions have distinction.

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    Im biased. I like lyricism more than anything so I tend to stick to east coast hip hop. Now I listen to music from anywhere, but even when its a Southern artist, its ones that rap like they from the east, like Scarface, Little Brother, or if they from the West, its cats like Ras Kass etc.

Now, I actually been everywhere, and been living outside the east coast for a minute now, but still tend to ? with mostly east coast style hip hop.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure, maybe?
    See I can listen to anything but ? with overt cali beats and most boom bap ? . And also Ratchet beats. ? seems simple like they are trying to be nostalgic.

Example of overt cali beat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4PCV-bb7GY

Ratchet ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9cETC9EnA

I love the artist but those beats makes me skip that ? immediately!
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DJ Premier, Havoc, Rza beats will always be my favorite sound. A classic Premo beat is hip hop to me.

That said I ? with all regions heavy, Outkast albums rank right behind Nas to me and Big Krit and Jay Elect may be my favorite of the new school.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think y'all kinda taking the question the wrong way

It's not whether you mess with other regions outside your own but are you more biased towards your region than others.

So alot of y'all not even answering the question right

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Im not biased ive come to this conclusion based on thorough research

Southern hip hop & west coast hip hop >>>>>>>> east coast hip hop

(In general)
    P. Town wrote: »
    TonyDubbz wrote: »
    Nah I actually ain't I do ? with more Southern artist than any other artist tho of course

These are three wrong poll options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    I literally love everything, from all regions and genres. But i also think New Yorkers/East Coasters and old ? tend to discredit other rappers from other regions when it comes to rappers from their own region because of what hip hop Traditionally is.

You hit the nail on the head.

I'm 43 and the only states I've ever lived in are Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey. I have family in California and I've visited Cali several times and so I know what the West Coast is like. I've driven around the Bay Area with my cousins listening to Too $hort so I know how his music sounds while driving around Oakland.

@JonnyRoccIT made a good point. He said that NYC/East Coasters, "tend to discredit rappers from other regions...because of what Hip Hop traditionally is"

And he's 100% right. I remember talking to Grandmaster Caz a while back. Somehow the conversation switched to NWA. I told Caz NWA was hot in Massachusetts when I was in high school. He said, "We didn't like them". Basically it took Caz a long time before he could accept rap coming from other regions because he felt that his peers from his generation created Hip Hop and people from other regions were taking a bite out of Hip Hop, changing it around and making something that sounded foreign to the pioneers. And to make it worse, the rappers from other regions were making more money than the original old school rappers from The Bronx because the rappers from other regions all shared a common experience with Hip Hop.

All that is to say, if you grew up listening to a certain sound, then a style/sound from a different region takes a while to get used to.

Most of my collection is East Coast Hip Hop but I have some stuff from Ruthless, Death Row, No Limit, Cash Money. I have some stuff by Ludacris, Missy Elliot and Young Jeezy. I even have a few 2 Live Crew records. Basically my record collection is 90% East Coast Hip Hop with some regional stuff mixed in.

The main reason I prefer East Coast Hip Hop is because of the way New York rappers rap. They don't speak with a Southern drawl which is common amongst Southerners and people from Cali. I like the way New York rappers pronounce their words. And when 50 Cent (and Kanye) started to rap with Southern accents is around the time New York rap fell off.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

I'm not at all
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah my ears is global
    Being from the Midwest we get everything so I don't care if you're from the south New York or cali. If you're dope don't matter the region. I can listen to wu tang then turn around and listen to devin the dude then listen to yg dope ? is dope ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeaaaa I cant help it
    Stew wrote: »

I'm not at all

@Stew

where are you from? Where did you grow up?