Bill Maher Drops the N-Word on His Show Tonight.. Twitter Going Crazy

Options

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    I'm most upset with white folk's reaction and comments to Cube and what he said. Yeah, we say it and he gets checks off saying it. But Europeans have accumulated all kinds of wealth, resources and privilege through oppression and saying it but as soon as we take what you used to keep us in check and own it, then say you can't have it anymore, then its a problem and he's a hypocrite? ? that, you can kiss my ass.

That scene in Malcolm X when Malcolm told the white girl that asked what could she do to help in the struggle is some of the realist ? that white people could ever do, and I'd respect them more as a people if they did what Malcolm told her at that moment--NOTHING. Respect our wishes and stay out of the way, because them voicing their thoughts on how we take and deal with ? in our own community is irritating to say the least.

Except that Malcolm said later that he regretted telling that white girl she could do nothing.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/9805906#Comment_9805906

Malcolm was right in both instances tho..

as u grow ur views change..
    where he was at the time was the appropriate view..

he was in his "infancy stage" as we are now..
    as he grew his views changed as should ours..

he used the word "regret" cause he didnt get to his next stage to even ubderstand why he said what he said when he said it..

if that makes any sense.

basically before anyone can help us we have to help our damn selves.. AND THEN.. they can help if they so choose.. but we have to build the infastructure.. the base.. cause for all we know we dont know who the ? they sendin.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    And by your definition he is right be cut he is more popular than me, ? is doomed, u can buy a ? cheaper than in slavery days now, do the inflation, that's why it's easy for someone like young thug to say here go 10k ? , you look like u from Africa, long as he got more money he right

Yes im African and nope we are not doomed.

Always angry at everything but date a white girl hotep ass ? like you are tho.

Lets me tell you something you already know , tell "black" world that you want aint never ever gonna happen and thats what always gonna ? you off, lmao.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it all boils down to white people thinking they are one of the "cool white people".

chances are, if you think you're one of the "cool white people", you most def are NOT one of the cool white people
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sideon1984 wrote: »
    And the fact that anybody would call Killer Mike a ? is soooooo sad.

Killer Mike is the most legitimate representation of black empowerment that you can get nowadays.
    He banks black, Went to a black college, Speaks loudly on black issues including op-eds, lectures to students and , interviews on NPR and PBS.

Not only that he Owns a barber shop (a few) that Im sure employs black people in the back community. Plus he's Married to a black woman ...

The word ? and killer Mike should in no way be associated with each other... But I understand if your a loser online with selective outrage syndrome .... I get it.

And yet couldn't bring himself to check his buddy when he got outta pocket. All that other stuff is good and all, but if you're giving white people a pass to call you ? then it makes you look foolish.

Except this didn't happen.

I mean, you could probably say he gave a white man a pass to call HIMSELF, ? /er. But even that's a stretch.

You labeling a black man, who has unequivocally has done more for other black people than you ever will, a ? , under false pretenses.

Tearing down a black man, who actually put in the work, based on a complete lie, makes you more of a "? " than Killer Mike could ever be.

@StoneColdMikey
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ? is a bit embarrassing to me how much energy being put we putting into this. ? was no reason to trip, but yall let these crackaz hype yall up not realizing they always expecting yall to take ? overboard. Cube hit him too hard! lol . the HARD hit is not needed. Meanwhile Louis Ck says ? all the time, but no one cares. Bill calls himself ? as a joke, and blacks start ego trippin. it just make the community come off as self-righteous and a bit hypocritical, i don't like it.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    ? is a bit embarrassing to me how much energy being put we putting into this. ? was no reason to trip, but yall let these crackaz hype yall up not realizing they always expecting yall to take ? overboard. Cube hit him too hard! lol . the HARD hit is not needed. Meanwhile Louis Ck says ? all the time, but no one cares. Bill calls himself ? as a joke, and blacks start ego trippin. it just make the community come off as self-righteous and a bit hypocritical, i don't like it.
    What is this garbage. this post went full millennial
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    One thing you all fail to realize, is all this was done on a controlled inviroment, his show, he only said he was sorry becuz it hurt people not becuz it was wrong, that's not much of an apology, also yeah once white people start to do anything it's far from being cool anymore. Bill also deflected a lot of questions

https://youtu.be/qmFMENAwROs
  • fortyacres
    Options
    shouldve known we were dealing with sotomayor , I'm done with this thread.
  • rebootx1
    Options
    Nope not Tommy at all, but you so blinded by the messenger you refuse the message which is the truth.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I think it all boils down to white people thinking they are one of the "cool white people".

chances are, if you think you're one of the "cool white people", you most def are NOT one of the cool white people

Real "Cool white people" are comfortable in their skin and dont try to so hard to be cool.. just Be.. honesty, sincerity is cool and that across the board
  • fortyacres
    Options
    Nope not Tommy at all, but you so blinded by the messenger you refuse the message which is the truth.

its an opinion not truth.Dont care for both messenger and his message, i think i will be just fine without both.
  • rebootx1
    Options
    Just be cuz I don't like someone don't mean I won't hear them out, matter fact I wanna hear them out so I can prove them wrong feels that much better when u don't like them, just like if I don't like someone doesn't mean I won't do business with them, if they know how to take care of business. I don't let my feelings clog up my logical way of thinking
  • playmaker88
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As told by Toure

In the long history of Bill Maher on TV there has never been a more real time moment on Real Time than last Friday’s episode. I struggle to think of another major TV host who responded to a national firestorm by allowing people to come on his show and beat him up over his own transgressions. It’s like Maher went to the town square, locked himself in the pillory, and let people have at him for an hour. But strangely, the courage to have Dr. Michael Eric Dyson, Ice Cube and Symone Sanders take him to the woodshed did not lead to the best version of Maher. He was contrite—at least early on in the show—but he was also defensive, excuse-heavy, mentioned the omnipresence of the n-word in culture (as he’s done before), Kathy Griffin, a litany of America’s historical atrocities (groan), and the fact that we’re all evolving. What?

Maher’s conversation with Dyson was weird; at times, it seemed like they were speaking different languages. My friend Dr. Dyson missed the mark by over-intellectualizing in a moment of pain—Dyson surrounded some solid questions to Maher with so much verbal cogitation that the comedian was able to avoid really answering them. On the other hand, Ice Cube was direct, emotional, and powerfully plain-spoken. He forced the conversation to its true center as Maher grew grumpy. But Cube is right: the problem is that Maher thinks he has a pass.

By “a pass” I mean he feels that he can do things that other white people can’t—things that are culturally reserved for Blacks. The pass is both I’m unique among whites and I get special privilege from Blacks. Many of us have known someone who thinks they have a pass. That guy who dates only Black women, or has lots of Black friends, or really, really loves hip-hop, or mastered some Black cultural skill (dancing, hooping, rhyming, whatever) and thinks that means he’s an honorary Black person. Cube alluded to this right off the bat: “there’s a lot of guys out there who cross the line because they a little too familiar… Guys that, you know, might have a black girlfriend or two that made them Kool-Aid every now and then, and they think they can cross the line. And they can’t.”

Cube’s talking about bad ally behavior. Maher’s sin may be rooted in loving Blackness too much but it is still a cultural sin because there is no such thing as a pass. There’s nothing that a white person can accomplish that makes them become Black. The notion of a pass—of over-identifying with Blackness—is so problematic and so painful because it objectifies Blackness. It posits Blackness as akin to something one can learn their way into. Blackness cannot be earned like a Boy Scout badge. And people who think they have a pass use it only to access the fun and joyful side of Black culture. They want Fun Blackness: The parties, the style, the rhythm of mama Africa. They don’t want to grapple with the fact that Blackness also comes with a whole lot of pain.

Don’t tell me you’re Black without having felt the pain of having ancestors who were enslaved and cousins who are imprisoned and brothers and sisters who were named Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, and Philando Castile. Don’t tell me you’re Black without having had to navigate a system designed to crush you. Don’t tell me you’re Black without knowing what it is to think your country hates you, without knowing how it feels to have doors shut in your face, without knowing that any basic traffic stop could be the end of your life. Black people know what it is to fear what white privilege will do to you or your family. Black people know what the lash of white supremacy feels like. People who think they have a pass never use it to access that stuff.

Maher offered the notion of comic privilege as one of his many excuses but I don’t think that’s what this is about. Yes, comics often craft jokes that are meant to offend and it’s valuable for society to allow comedians to explore taboo subjects. But this wasn’t that. This was a knee-? reaction that showed that Maher, given just a second to think, would reveal that he sees himself as analogous to a house slave. This rich and famous white man may be over-identifying with Blackness a bit much. I am not in the camp that believes Maher should be fired but I do think he should spend some considerable time engaging in introspection and find the space to support racial justice, love Black culture and be a true ally without seeing all that as a path to becoming Black.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/on-bill-maher-the-n-word-and-the-myth-of-the-pass
  • The Hue
    The Hue Members Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I hate the whole idea of a "pass". I gotta school ? all the time at work bout that ? . A few times I've had to tell some white folks that that "pass" ? don't fly with me.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sometimes it's not what you do, but how it's done... that's my main point
  • playmaker88
    Options

Sometimes it's not what you do, but how it's done... that's my main point

that not your main point your main point was some sort of an apology for ? taking offense. If you wanted that to be your main point that not how you do it..
  • rebootx1
    Options
    Dam ice cube might fit the description of a ? , he sold black people a image that destroyed a lot of young black brothers disrespected black women in songs and now smiling on TV with a jew about the word ? , ? always gotta show they teeth now I'm a be breif, dam ice be true to the game

Ice Cube - True To The Game: http://youtu.be/r_zSt-qQfn4
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fact that he didn't shrug it off as a benefit of "comedic license" should be acknowledged.

But..........

s6ztv1j400ne.gif
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

I kind of felt like it was awkward and hard to watch. I say that because I saw the original show. It was kind of shocking when he said it. It was a joke and how it was done honestly I soon forgot about it. I could see the apology but some of the response has seemed...it was way more than I thought of it due to factors like he made a joke and most importantly he called himself that. He didnt call anyone but himself the word. Some seem to think "Cant no white muhfuh ever say that word!" But thats not necessarily the truth is they do. Context matters. I get people thinking it wasnt tactful or appropriate. It was just a thing where how hard do you need to drive it to Bill Maher and at what level? How much does he really not get? Im not commenting on what Cube said or anything but yeah honestly there were points certain things crossed my mind. I get discussing it with him but how much does he not get? What were/are his intentions/ how do you go about it? to what extent? etc.
  • rebootx1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    See this what I mean yall being passive about this when in reality you dying for traffic stops, white boy ? 4 people and he get probation due to influenza, Mexicans here illegal, oh black people don't cooperate help hide them, break the law to save them, then when u get pulled over and get caught with a blunt duck, they making u do 10 years yall ? fools!!!! Nobody gets a pass till I get a pass or at least treated the same.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    The fact that he didn't shrug it off as a benefit of "comedic license" should be acknowledged.

But..........

s6ztv1j400ne.gif

Speak bro. But What?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See this what I mean yall being passive about this when in reality you dying for traffic stops, white boy ? 4 people and he get probation due to influenza, Mexicans here illegal, oh black people don't cooperate help hide them, break the law to save them, then when u get pulled over and get caught with a blunt duck, they making u do 10 years yall ? fools!!!! Nobody gets a pass till I get a pass or at least treated the same.

3h2hs824bntd.gif

a7rv4p7xcbyw.jpg
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The thing with this is its accusatory. "yall are doing" "yall need to do" man do you. Its on the next man to live his life none of us are the "other person police". So speak for yourself and do you. You cant speak for everybody cause everybody aint exactly the same with what they do or fit in those boxes. Try not to get frustrated just cause everybody isnt in lock step and think and do exactly like you. It dont work that way.
  • rebootx1
    edited June 2017
    Options

The thing with this is its accusatory. "yall are doing" "yall need to do" man do you. Its on the next man to live his life none of us are the "other person police". So speak for yourself and do you. You cant speak for everybody cause everybody aint exactly the same with what they do or fit in those boxes. Try not to get frustrated just cause everybody isnt in lock step and think and do exactly like you. It dont work that way.

If u can't reognize u are getting treated unequally becuz of your skin color then I hope darwarism catches up to u sooner than later. that's how I know more than half this board is either "white" stupid " or "young" I simpathize with the young people