After 2005 do YouTube views determine a artist success?

Options
trendsetta1030
trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in The Reason

After 2005 do YouTube views determine a artist success? 23 votes

Yes
43%
Karl.za'kissTheBoyRoLogical Truths32DaysOfInfinitichgarcia3455 GrandMatike85Swish410Trill 10 votes
No
56%
 i ro ny5th LetterTrillaaaaaaspit_fiyatompetrez3BigBallsNoWorriesLOLCLMeekMonizzLLLLLLe14Rue_Flexingtononetoughmiracle808HiLife8085onblackhandsideRevolver Ocelot 13 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Good question.

I suppose there's such thing as a "Youtube Generation". Those are teenagers that don't remember what it was like before Youtube or streaming sites. They don't understand the concept of going to the store to buy an album.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    over obsessed with numbers .........
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »

Men lie women lie …
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you aint getting a penny tho
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    you aint getting a penny tho

I jus be proving ya wrong https://youtube.com/watch?v=zMG-886j3lw
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    Your cheesy af
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both you ? are corny
  • StreetRap
    Options
    Yo son lay off my dude StreetRap son ......lyafk68zofkoqw04c1xm.jpg
  • StreetRap
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yo werd is bond Ima mash this eagle in ya eye kid,
    I told you don't mess with my dude StreetRap ..........cover.jpg

• THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I FEEL YOU CAN GAUGE MASS APPEAL WITH YOUTUBE VIEWS...
    BUT THAT'S ONLY FOR 1 SONG OR FORM OF VIEWABLE CONTENT (GANGNAM STYLE OR STUPID VIRAL VIDS)...

I GUESS WHEN YOU HAVE MULTIPLE VIDEOS STREAMING 100M/1B...
    THEN THERE IS SOME SUCCESS YOU CAN'T OVERLOOK...
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yes... .... Nicki Minaj & Soulja boy prove it in 2007...the beginning of the New Testament of Hip Hop

rra19del5em5.jpg
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Matike85 wrote: »
    Yes... .... Nicki Minaj & Soulja boy prove it in 2007...the beginning of the New Testament of Hip Hop

rra19del5em5.jpg

No one heard of Nicki in 2007
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No

Which is funny cuz he ? ride wack ass rappers like Julez who don't sell ? .
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    No because many rappers with high youtube views are forced to be openers or perform in very very small clubs. To me the venue you are able to book and sell out as a headliner determines ultimate success. So do album sales the an extent.
  • StreetRap
    edited June 2017
    Options
    it's all part of the grind as long as folks aint trying to stop you and clown you when you trying to progress
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yeah there's levels to this ? , before 1 million was a lot, now you aint big time if not eclipsing 100m, that ? insane, ad buys mean the world.

The only difference is today ? don't really go viral like it did before 2010. There are too many algorithms and cookies that ensure everything you see is already popular.

If a music video has a lot of views, you can suspect the machine is at work.
  • Matike85
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes
    Matike85 wrote: »

rra19del5em5.jpg

No one heard of Nicki in 2007

I did.... She was rapping since 2005 bruh... she was on smack DVD and come up mixtapes being managed by Fendi... Ask yourself how you think the Remy Ma vs Nicki Minaj & Nicki Minaj vs Lil KIM beef started?

https://youtu.be/BZRdrUT3ufU

https://youtu.be/w56UQK7QpBw

7dv3s991ye6f.gif

cwfhv52cbmz8.gif

• Rue_Flexington
    Rue_Flexington Members Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    You got artist getting more than a million views and can't even sell 100,000 records.
  • Matike85
    Options
    Yes
    You got artist getting more than a million views and can't even sell 100,000 records.

Sells & notoriety are two different things... success is subjective in the music industry now since 2005 because of social media platforms like You tube
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    39) Cee Lo-$22 Million

38) Soulja Boy-$23 Million

37) Ludacris-$25 Million

36) The Game-$25 Million

35) Rick Ross-$28 Million

Soulja boy 23mil what's your fav artist worth?
    I'll repeat tha question… after 2010 do views determine your success?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    No
    39) Cee Lo-$22 Million

37) Ludacris-$25 Million

36) The Game-$25 Million

If that was the case Chief Keef, Rich Homie Quan, and Nikki Minaj should be worth 20 million plus. Soulja Boys net worth has nothing to do with the views he got from YouTube. His money is due to his ability to market and charter deals after the initial youtube bump. Fetty has viral videos and he can't even drop and album nor is is making deals outside of hip hop like soulja boy. All youtube views means is you had a hot viral video or 2 during your 15 minutes. What you do next to get ? to buy your album and get big venues to book you is completely different than youtube success.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I think we all remember O.T. Genasis' hit I'm In Love With The Coco. He has 199,477,382 Youtube views.

He had a buzz on Youtube but he came and went from what I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYnas6q3Sg
  • Logical Truths
    Logical Truths Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes
    YouTube is one of the main reasons why Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are able to make 100 million in one year. If your constantly getting views on youtube your going to get a nice check.

People dont watch irrelevant videos over and over.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    39) Cee Lo-$22 Million

37) Ludacris-$25 Million

36) The Game-$25 Million

If that was the case Chief Keef, Rich Homie Quan, and Nikki Minaj should be worth 20 million plus. Soulja Boys net worth has nothing to do with the views he got from YouTube. His money is due to his ability to market and charter deals after the initial youtube bump. Fetty has viral videos and he can't even drop and album nor is is making deals outside of hip hop like soulja boy. All youtube views means is you had a hot viral video or 2 during your 15 minutes. What you do next to get ? to buy your album and get big venues to book you is completely different than youtube success.

Rich homie ain't got a grind like Soulja boy he's self made chief keef stays away from the limelight and nikky ain't get the success Soulja boy gain and 2nd thing nikky had 2 come to the south ny was not I repeat ny was not rocking wit her… French Montana came to the south 2 gain clout fetty is a east coast ? tryn ride tha south wave Soulja boy has more money then wutang how that feel ctfu
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    No
    39) Cee Lo-$22 Million

37) Ludacris-$25 Million

36) The Game-$25 Million

Rich homie ain't got a grind like Soulja boy he's self made chief keef stays away from the limelight and nikky ain't get the success Soulja boy gain and 2nd thing nikky had 2 come to the south ny was not I repeat ny was not rocking wit her… French Montana came to the south 2 gain clout fetty is a east coast ? tryn ride tha south wave Soulja boy has more money then wutang how that feel ctfu

you just proved my point. Youtube views don't determine an artists success; grinding and making deals and working hard does.