Trial For The Murderous Pig Who Executed Philando Castile Begins Today…

Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The same sentiment was expressed by Damario Williams, 28, a youth basketball coach at Ascension Catholic School in Minneapolis.

“I feel hopeless,” Williams said. “The shooting was on tape and on camera and he still walked away.”

Gaertner acknowledged the massive attention the Yanez case received and questioned whether hopes about what it would produce were too lofty.

“It seems as the community at large was looking at this prosecution to effect major social change, eradicate racism, restore communities of colors’ trust in the criminal justice system — a lot of things a single verdict in either direction would not accomplish,” she said.

McCaleb said the acquittal was all that he and his friends were talking about Saturday.

“Why did he ? him?” they asked. “Why did he have to shoot him? Why didn’t he get convicted?”

I agree with this statement. While no doubt that murderer should have been sent to jail Black folks couldn't have won either way. A conviction would only have brought resentment from law enforcement which, I believe would give these race soldiers reason 1,678,123,523 to continue murdering us.

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/06/18/people-gather-on-fathers-day-to-remember-philando-castile-
    Protesters march through St. Anthony to remember Castile on Sunday

On Father's Day, demonstrators marched through parts of the city of St. Anthony to remember Philando Castile, and protest the acquittal of the officer who shot and killed him last July. It marked the third day of protests in the Twin Cities.

On Friday, a Ramsey County jury found St. Anthony officer Jeronimo Yanez not guilty on manslaughter and firearms charges for the shooting death of Castile during a traffic stop.

Marchers held signs that read, "Justice for Philando" and "We leave when we get justice."

As the crowd grew larger in front of the St Anthony Village City Hall, Corydon Nilsson picked up a bullhorn.

"I'm angry," he said. "I'm hurt for his entire family, I'm hurt for the state of Minnesota. I'm hurt for all of my black brothers and sisters, because Minnesota just rubber-stamped the killing of black bodies, and that's just wrong. It makes me sick."

Nilsson is part of an organization called New North, a St Paul group that aims to help victims and families of police violence, including Castile's girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds and her daughter Dae'Anna.

"Even though Philando wasn't Dae'Anna's father, he was the step-father figure in her life, and he should be here today, to celebrate with her, and he's not," said Nilsson. "And at minimum, Diamond should have gotten some sort of justice so she could have this day be peaceful instead of filled with anguish."

Nilsson said Castile was also a father-figure to the students at J.J. Hill Montessori School, where he worked as a cafeteria supervisor.

"I saw that a kid left a note on the school that said Philando has rainbows in his heart. I've talked to hundreds of kids there, who just, they loved that man. They loved Mr. Phil. And it's just, this is so tragic."

John Thompson was a close friend of Castile. He was at the courthouse Friday and two days later, he's grown more angry about the verdict.

"Shame on you jurors, each and every one of you failed African-American men and told the police departments around the world: 'It's OK to shoot black men.'"

After Thompson put the bullhorn down, protesters hugged him as he became overwhelmed with emotions.

"I'm so sad, I'm so mad," he said. "They keep failing us. They keep failing us. They keep telling us we mean nothing to the world."

Later, the protesters marched less than a mile to a nearby shopping center, disrupting traffic, and shutting down streets for several hours.

It was clear emotions were running high in the city where Yanez had worked as an officer. Some neighbors were seen crying in their front yards. Some motorists were annoyed by the protests. One driver confronted protesters and had to eventually turn his car around. Another person stopped to ask who Castile was, and why they were protesting.

Abdi Iman of Eden Prairie carried a protest sign that read "Justice for Philando." And he wore large white wings made of real feathers on his back, as if to symbolize an angel of peace.

"These types of moments make us come together like this, the way that we are right now, and brings awareness, and forever marks the incident in people's hearts and minds, and hopefully changes the police in how they are trained," said Iman.

Attorney-activist and Minneapolis mayoral candidate Nekima Levy-Pounds was also in the crowd. She had organized Saturday night's protest, too.

"If Philando Castile, with all the goodness that he brought to the children of the school that he worked at cannot get justice then no black man can get justice in the state of Minnesota."

One of the first people who had arrived at Sunday's protest was Laurie Bushbaum, a Unitarian universalist minister from Minneapolis. She stood crying, quietly holding a small sign of a Minnesota license plate that read "Shame."

"I'm holding this sign and all I feel is profound sadness, profound shame, that I live in a state where a black man can be murdered for no other reason that he is black, and that we cannot find that officer guilty."
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/acquittal-verdict-in-castile-case-leads-to-march-arrests/2017/06/17/8c06a432-5396-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?utm_term=.2f18a7ad52df
    Fatuma Ali, 24, is an organizer with the Black Liberation Project, a network of black youth activists that has been a mainstay at protests. She said that although she wasn’t surprised by the acquittal, it still came as a blow.

“You don’t realize you’re holding on to hope until it’s not there anymore,” she said.

Like Levy-Pounds, Ali sees the case as a possible catalyst, but one that might further radicalize people already engaged in the movement.

“Philando was the perfect case for a lot of people. And I think it is kind of a tipping point. This was as perfect a victim as you could get,” she said in a phone interview. “It’s always something, you know with Mike Brown he was charging the officer, he wasn’t paying attention, he wasn’t following orders. They even managed to justify Tamir Rice’s murder — he pointed his gun, he shouldn’t have had it, they brought up his father’s criminal record — but you couldn’t justify Philando Castile’s murder because he did everything he was supposed to do. He was a model citizen.”

Ali said she thinks activism needs to move beyond “galvanizing around every murder” to address deeper issues and policy. Her organization plans to focus on a campaign to remove police officers from public schools.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/case-file-in-philando-castile-shooting-to-be-made-public-juror-said-dashcam-video-didn-t-show-enough-to-convict-yanez/429482323/
    The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension also is expected to release the interview its investigators conducted with Yanez after the shooting, which became a point of contention during the trial. Prosecutors did not introduce that interview as evidence until cross-examining Yanez on the stand. Judge William H. Leary III denied that request but allowed it to be referenced during Yanez’s cross-examination.

During deliberations, jurors asked to see the interview transcript. Leary said no.

Juror Bonita Schultz said Monday that she “kind of jumped out of my seat” when she first saw the dashcam video — a key piece of prosecution evidence played several times during trial. But she said the jury could not determine if Castile was reaching for a gun or not. Yanez claimed he shot Castile because he thought Castile was reaching for his gun. In his dying words, Castile said he was not reaching for it.

“That’s what we don’t know; that’s where our reasonable doubt was,” Schultz said. “Nobody knows except Yanez and Castile for sure. That’s the problem.”
    Rep. Nick Zerwas, R-Elk River, who was recently named Legislator of the Year by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, called Castile’s killing a “tragedy,” but noted that the acquittal was made by jurors with an“unbelievably high bar” set to convict an officer of a crime.

“And societally and historically, we give law enforcement huge discretion for the decisions they need to make in a split second,” Zerwas said. “Twelve members of a jury deliberated for five days what officer Yanez had a quarter of a second to decide.”
    ‘State couldn’t prove that’

Schultz had more to say about what jurors believed could and could not be gleaned from the dashcam video. Reynolds’ view of Castile’s hand, she said, was blocked by the car’s center console.

“The state couldn’t prove that, no, [Yanez] did not see a gun,” she said. “They could not prove that.”

She declined to comment on Reynolds’ testimony.

She said the most believable expert was Emanuel Kapelsohn, on the defense’s side, who on the stand showed how Castile’s gun would protrude out of his shorts as he was sitting down.

Schultz said she believed that testimony had an impact on the entire jury.

When jurors started deliberating, she said, at first the group was split, then by the end of the first day were at 8-4 for acquittal. The jury foreperson told the judge about the deadlock, and the judge told them to continue deliberations.

By the last day, the jury split was 10-2.

“We had no arguments, had no fights,” she said. “... Everybody was good about explaining their ideas.”

Ultimately, she said the case came down to who they believed.

“Did the state prove that [Yanez] shot when he shouldn’t have? It was supposed to be doubt. It had to be without a doubt that we convicted him,” she said. “And when it came right down to it, we felt the state did not prove its case.”

The dashcam video also shows police performing first aid on Castile about five minutes after he was shot. It shows Yanez telling another officer after the shooting that Castile “had his hand on it,” but also that “I didn’t know where the gun was.”

Juror Dennis Ploussard echoed Schultz’s sentiments about the prosecution’s shortcomings. He said Friday that Yanez’s interview with the BCA was a key stumbling block for the two holdouts, who were not the two blacks on the jury. The way Yanez worded his statement by never using the word “gun” made the holdouts believe Yanez never saw one, Ploussard said.

ngec2xbqri82.gif
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/us/police-shootings-philando-castile.html?mtrref=undefined
    Grim Echoes for Families: An Officer Shoots and a Jury Acquits

ST. PAUL — When the verdict came down on Friday — another police officer found not guilty in the killing of another black man — a father 700 miles away, in Oklahoma, felt as if he were watching a sickening replay of his own son’s fate. Other families of those killed in previous police shootings, who happened to be gathered in Detroit for a conference this past week, felt reverberations of their own pain.

And on a street corner here outside the courthouse where a jury acquitted a Minnesota officer in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile last summer, Mr. Castile’s mother, Valerie, vented a bitter frustration shared by many activists. “A murderer gets away,” said Ms. Castile, visibly anguished. “The system in this country continues to fail black people.”

After all of the public scrutiny, nationwide protests and grisly videos of police shootings over the past several years, few officers are criminally charged, and when the rare case is prosecuted, hopes rise that justice will be served. More often than not, officers are not convicted, raising a question: Do divisions widen more between the police and their communities if people view the justice system as having failed than if there had been no prosecution, no deeper look, at all?

About 900 to 1,000 people are fatally shot by police officers in the United States every year, said Philip M. Stinson, an associate professor of criminal justice at Bowling Green State University who tracks police shootings. Since 2005, when Mr. Stinson began his tally, just 29 nonfederal law enforcement officers have been convicted in on-duty shootings. Fourteen pleaded guilty, and 15 were convicted by juries. In that time, more officers — 33 — have been arrested or charged with murder or manslaughter but not convicted.

In many of these cases, questions of guilt do not hinge on who fired the fatal shot, but on what officers were thinking when they pulled the trigger.

“As soon as the officer gets on the stand and subjectively says, ‘I was fearing for my life,’ many juries are not going to convict at that point,” Mr. Stinson said. “We’ve seen it over and over again.”

Such was the case in Cincinnati, where prosecutors are retrying a former university police officer on murder charges after a jury failed to reach a verdict on whether to hold him responsible in the shooting death of Samuel DuBose, an unarmed black driver. In Baltimore, the prosecution of six officers in the death of Freddie Gray, who suffered a fatal spinal cord injury in police custody, ended last year without a single conviction after three officers were acquitted and the state’s attorney dropped all remaining charges against the other three.

And last month in Oklahoma, a jury that included at least four black jurors deliberated for nine hours before acquitting a white police officer, Betty Jo Shelby, in the shooting of Terence Crutcher. He was standing in the street outside his sport utility vehicle, was unarmed and had his hands in the air for much of the fatal confrontation.

When Mr. Crutcher’s father, the Rev. Joey Crutcher, 69, heard about Friday’s verdict, he said, his thoughts turned to his son and parallels between the case in Minnesota and his son’s. “We’ve gone through this time and time again in different cities,” he said. “I’m beginning to think that police have free rein and they can just do whatever they want and they are going to get off.”

Mr. Crutcher said the legal process could take a toll on family members who attend court hoping for justice but must watch videos of their loved one dying again and again. “I relived that night during the course of hearings and during the trial,” he said. “They played over and over again that video where my son was walking with his hands up, and I knew what my son was doing. He was remembering what I told him to do. If you’re stopped by the police, raise your hands and put them on the car.”

Advocates for law enforcement officers said the acquittals were signs of weak cases filed by prosecutors in response to public outcries. Earl Gray, a lawyer for Jeronimo Yanez, the officer who shot Mr. Castile, said the trial against his client had gone forward largely because of political pressure and a flood of attention over a video that Mr. Castile’s girlfriend had streamed live on Facebook in the moments after the shooting. “A lot of publicity was generated” from the video, Mr. Gray said, “which of course caused Ramsey County to charge Officer Yanez.”

But for activists and the 2,000 protesters who gathered in St. Paul on Friday night, the not-guilty verdict was a painful injustice.

Some here took solace that the case had been brought in the first place, especially given earlier cases, like the fatal police shooting of Jamar Clark in Minneapolis in 2015, in which prosecutors decided not to press charges. Others called the trial a show, nothing more. “What else could we have expected?” asked Anthony Newby, a community activist in Minneapolis who said he had cried behind his closed office door after hearing the verdict. “There’s that familiar rage that boils up all the time.”

Mr. Castile’s mother said after the verdict that she had believed her son’s death would be the case to upend the pattern of “not guilties” and deadlocked juries.

The Facebook live video of Mr. Castile’s last, ? moments after being shot had set off two weeks of protests here over the police’s use of force, and touched off a chorus of demands to prosecute Officer Yanez. When he was charged with manslaughter, legal observers said it appeared to be the first time a Minnesota police officer had been indicted in an on-duty shooting death of a civilian. “This time we didn’t have a man fleeing from the scene,” said Glenda Hatchett, a lawyer for the Castile family. “We didn’t have a man fighting the police. We had a man who was fully compliant, as his mother taught him.”

“I don’t know what more could have been done,” she added.

But the jury’s verdict on the fifth day of deliberations after a three-week trial showed how different the same shooting could appear to protesters gathered outside the State Capitol than to 12 people inside a jury room. Prosecutors and Mr. Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, said Mr. Castile had been shot as he reached for his identification. But defense lawyers said Officer Yanez believed that Mr. Castile was reaching for his gun. In a dashboard camera recording before the shooting, Mr. Castile — who was licensed to carry a gun — can be heard calmly informing Officer Yanez about the weapon.

Jeff Roorda, business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers Association, said many officers were paying attention to jury decisions in police trials like Officer Yanez’s. “This isn’t cause for celebration,” he said. “A man’s dead. An officer’s career is over. And a split-second decision turned into tragedy. But again, I think what’s missed in the conversation is that sometimes cops do get it wrong. But there’s a difference between getting it wrong and acting criminally.”

John J. Choi, the elected prosecutor of Ramsey County, defended his decision to bring charges and said he recognized that the verdict would disappoint many who, though skeptical, had decided to give the justice system a chance this time. “There was ample evidence. If the jury wanted to, if they chose to choose those facts, they would have got a conviction,” Mr. Choi said. “I’m sorry that it didn’t work out as the Castile family would have liked. But the process, we can’t control it.”
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.wvtm13.com/article/birmingham-police-investigating-officers-comments-about-protest-on-social-media/10044313
    Birmingham police officers publish controversial comments about protest on social media

One officer posted an article on his Facebook page surrounding the protests of the Minnesota police officer who was acquitted in the death of Philando Castile. The officer, who is not being identified at this time, published the following comment:

“When ever this (explicit) happens I wish I had a big 4X4 with mud tires and wicked huge brush guard. You lost ok was it right or wrong I don’t know but don’t block roads frightening people who are bound to start shooting at some point.”

Another officer posted a controversial comment on the post.

Leaders within the Birmingham Police Department confirmed the two officers are employed with the city. A police spokesperson, who declined our request for an on-camera interview, says the posts will be addressed internally.

It’s unclear how long have the officers have been on the force.

What "good" cops these guys are...
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know I'm late but I still want to add my 2 cents. This verdict really upset me. Same with Betty Shelby or Michael Slager though. What's the common denominator in all these cases?

This ? escalated that situation for no apparent reason. Philando complied and told that imcompetent coward he had a (licensed) gun. He followed every instruction that scary ? gave him and that coward still managed to blow his brains out in front of his woman and child. Does anyone think he'd get off if he killed a non-black person in the same fashion? How TF did this greasy ? get off? Then again, how did Betty Shelby or Michael Slager get off or not do significant jailtime? If a soldier shoots an 'insurgent' in a similar fashion in a occupied place like Afghanistan or Iraq he'd get court marshalled with the quickness. Even non-citizens and potential terrorists get more rights than certain Americans.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are we really surprised though? Just 40 years ago these same people lynched black people and made postcards and souvenirs out of it. You saw these people smiling on those pictures. You saw sheriffs and politicians, senior citizens and kids, women and men on cheezing next to these black corpses hanging from a tree. You think these people just disappeared in thin air? They're still around and some get called up for jury duty. Some work for law enforcement etc.
    They've been treating blacks as vermin. They don't even treat predators like wolves, mountainlions and bears like that in 2017. They're endangered species now. You can't just go around and ? 'em without the right permits and such. These cops ? black men like it's nothing and get away with it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll say this tho.. it really wasn't necessary to volunteer that info to the cop.. according to the cop it was a routine pull over for a brake light, he wouldve gotten a ticket and been on his way.

Never volunteer info
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok so he said he was reaching for the gun yet i never seen them pull the gun from his waist. Did anyone else see it?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From top to bottom, law enforcement positions are filled with folks who believe it's an immutable fact of nature that blacks are predisposed to be dangerous, violent criminals.

The aproaches used and responses reflect this.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok so he said he was reaching for the gun yet i never seen them pull the gun from his waist. Did anyone else see it?

Nah. All lies, he reached for his ID... and video shows him handing the coward his registration first, so why the ? would he reach for a gun after handing over his info??
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    I'll say this tho.. it really wasn't necessary to volunteer that info to the cop.. according to the cop it was a routine pull over for a brake light, he wouldve gotten a ticket and been on his way.

Never volunteer info

Real talk, i carry and never once told a cop i had one, ? all that, cause thats just gonna make the situation way worse if u got a ? ass/and or racist cop...imo only tell them if they bout to search your ?
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't tell them even if they a b out to search u, allow them to find it then when they search u get your foid card, if it's for a traffic violation, then that's all it should be about
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    Don't tell them even if they a b out to search u, allow them to find it then when they search u get your foid card, if it's for a traffic violation, then that's all it should be about

Nah cause then theyd try and pin some other ? on you for not saying you had it or sit and try and scold you for not mentoning it, again ? all that, trying to have my ? as brief as possible, do what you gotta do so i can leave
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

This was murder. Murder by a ? coward

and to fire that many times inside a car with a child visibly present....

makes no sense
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

makes no sense

But he was thinking of the child, according to himself:

i7yzyx_G.jpg
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A cop can shoot a ? and claim he was tryna save his life with the bullets and be acquitted
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://deadspin.com/golfer-has-takes-on-police-shootings-1796280247
    Golfer Has Takes On Police Shootings

Professional golfer Grayson Murray, last seen flirting towards a high schooler on Twitter then deleting his tweets and apologizing, is once again following through on his promise to be more active online. Tonight’s subject: the dashcam footage that shows a police officer murdering Philando Castile, a man who did not break the law. Murray’s take: You won’t get shot if you don’t break the law.
    sumwsv4zr6l7yt9bkavv.jpg

He agreed that the officer should be “held accountable,” although he’s not quite convinced that race has anything to do with it and he has noted ? Ben Shapiro’s website to prove it.

dd7qlmxtp0vlb5ufa6t8.jpg

bxunk17avxusylk3sdpg.jpg

fjbapgsact3eabepb5d9.jpg

Murray, maybe not the world’s foremost expert in this area, is definitely “done with this topic,” as he has deleted most of his tweets and locked his account.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://lawofficer.com/special-topics/when-did-compliance-become-optional/

A pig propaganda site says just comply and everything will be okay...
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »

makes no sense

But he was thinking of the child, according to himself:

i7yzyx_G.jpg

If this isnt the most ridiculous ? I've ever read

So a person smoking in front of their child means they are capable of cold blooded murder

And he never questioned anyone about smelling weed in the car