The Official 2016/17 Football/Soccer Thread

Options

Comments

• Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see Chelsea Old Boy Oscar starting SummerSlam brawls huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGjNgW0iIs

8 match ban and a £4,625 fine

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE OSCAR TO PAY BACK HIS FINE?
    Oscar earns £400,000 a week at Shanghai SIPG.
    The player was fined £4,625 for his role in the brawl.
    It will take him less than two hours to make that money back.

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Draxtler is a great player

Wenger had been wanting him for ages. No surprise he didn't get him in the end. Proper 'could have, would have, should have' manager.

? it, I'm staying in. This match is lit.

You're a Wenger In. smdh.

So? I can still call him out on his fuckery. I never said the guy hasn't got faults, I just know that turfing him out when everyone was crying that he should leave wasn't going to fix the immediate problems and sort out how ? poor the club is being run. Besides, I doubt Özil or Sanchez would even be at Arsenal if it wasn't for Wenger's reputation.
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wenger had been wanting him for ages. No surprise he didn't get him in the end. Proper 'could have, would have, should have' manager.

So? I can still call him out on his fuckery. I never said the guy hasn't got faults, I just know that turfing him out when everyone was crying that he should leave wasn't going to fix the immediate problems and sort out how ? poor the club is being run. Besides, I doubt Özil or Sanchez would even be at Arsenal if it wasn't for Wenger's reputation.

I agree, look at what Utd have went through. It would be 10x worse for arsenal if they didn't find a manager of quality to replace Wenger and I doubt there any right now who could.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options

I agree, look at what Utd have went through. It would be 10x worse for arsenal if they didn't find a manager of quality to replace Wenger and I doubt there any right now who could.

When I think of the Stewart Houston and Bruce Rioch era I just think that Arsenal fans should just shut the ? up and appreciate what we've got. It's a good thing the Man Ure board were willing to throw money until they got the team back on track, you really think the board at Arsenal would do that?
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah and with all of that said, Wenger the ? outta here. Wenger is a blessing for Kroenke.

He should have left three years ago.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options

Yeah and with all of that said, Wenger the ? outta here. Wenger is a blessing for Kroenke.

He should have left three years ago.

Well he didn't leave and he's won two FA Cups in that time which is more than most managers.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TalkSPORT question: Would Salah get in the starting 11 in any of the other top 6 sides?
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    TalkSPORT question: Would Salah get in the starting 11 in any of the other top 6 sides?

Arsenal, Liverpool and maybe Chelsea.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »

Wouldn't get into Chelsea maybe Arsenal. Chelsea just sold him a year ago...

• toheeb27
    edited June 2017
    Options

Its been 2 years since he played for Chelsea, and he has improved alot as a player. 25 now, entering his prime. He will flourish in a free flowing offense.

We keep ? up. We need to start putting Buy-Back clauses when we sell these guys.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If his goal scoring has improved, I would gladly take him.
  • toheeb27
    Options
    If his goal scoring has improved, I would gladly take him.

Up a bit, but his playmaking is up ALOT. Does not dribble as much anymore. Looks to create for his teammates more now.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options
    Sandinista wrote: »
    Some highlights from his statement:
    The FA have announced I am banned from all football for 18 months and fined £30,000 and costs for offences against The FA’s Betting Rules. I am very disappointed at the harshness of the sanction. The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement from playing football. To be clear from the outset here this is not match fixing and at no point in any of this is my integrity in question.

I accept that I broke the rules governing professional footballers, but I do feel the penalty is heavier than it might be for other less controversial players. I have fought addiction to gambling and provided the FA with a medical report about my problem. I’m disappointed it wasn’t taken into proper consideration. I think if the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet.

That all means this is not an easy environment in which to try to stop gambling, or even to encourage people within the sport that betting is wrong. It is like asking a recovering alcoholic to spend all his time in a pub or a brewery. If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company.

56ca623771b45_Hes_right_you_know.thumb.jpg.c6a5829c76fb70f19c9d074011fbee79.jpg
    Gambling in football: FA ends deals with gambling firms including Ladbrokes

The Football Association has ended all of its sponsorships with betting companies, including mutually terminating a long-term Ladbrokes deal.

The decision follows a three-month review into the governing body's relationship with gambling firms.

The FA says it will continue to share important information with companies to identify suspect betting patterns.

Chief executive Martin Glenn thanked Ladbrokes for its "professionalism and understanding" on the change of policy.

The betting company's chief executive, Jim Mullen, added: "We understand the FA's decision regarding their commercial partnerships on gambling."

Mullen said Ladbrokes would continue to work with the FA "to ensure the integrity and trust of the sport is maintained".

The Gambling Commission's executive director Tim Miller said: "This news will not impact on the ability for us, the FA and gambling companies to share information about suspected sports betting integrity issues."

Football's relationship with gambling has come under recent scrutiny, with midfielder Joey Barton criticising the FA's "dependence on betting companies".

Barton, who said he is addicted to gambling, was banned from football for 18 months after admitting an FA charge in relation to betting.

Reacting to Barton's ban in April, former Stoke winger Matthew Etherington, who lost £1.5m at the height of his gambling addiction, told BBC Radio 5 live the industry should be better "regulated".

"It's very hard and complex, but everyone needs to take a little bit more responsibility - the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association], the players, the FA and the gambling organisations themselves," the 35-year-old said.

Analysis

BBC sports editor Dan Roan

The decision to end this commercial relationship with Ladbrokes will cost the FA an estimated £4m a year in sponsorship revenue.

But it does at least finally address mounting concerns the governing body was being hypocritical and its role as a regulator of gambling was hopelessly compromised by a clear conflict of interest.

However, there will still be concerns the football and gambling industries are too closely linked. It will be interesting to see if the clubs follow the FA's lead.

The Premier League itself may not have an official gambling partner (like the FA), but last season 11 Premier League teams were sporting betting company logos on their shirts, and Sky Bet are title sponsors of the Football League.

There could now be increased pressure to end this, and to limit the promotion of gambling around football via broadcast programming too.

Source: BBC
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    England U21's through to the semi finals...
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options

can they do like the U20s?
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options

Its been 2 years since he played for Chelsea, and he has improved alot as a player. 25 now, entering his prime. He will flourish in a free flowing offense.

We keep ? up. We need to start putting Buy-Back clauses when we sell these guys.

41A79A5900000578-0-image-m-4_1498179552919.jpg
  • toheeb27
    Options

Nah, i have not been impressed with them in the 3 games they have played so far. Their midfield is a weird fit. No Speed in it. Plus the create almost no chances for Tammy Abraham.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

41A79A5900000578-0-image-m-4_1498179552919.jpg

If sturidge never got injured I would of kept him the rest meh
  • water ur seeds
    Options

Would be dope, show the mens team up though U20's x2 and U21's winning tournaments haha pleased for Aidy Boothroyd though...
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    Pickfords pass on ones of the goals (i cant remember) was amazing, dude hit it was Scholes like accuracy half way down the pitch...

@toheeb I think theres enough pace and passers in the squad to feed Tammy in squad, Demarai Gray is a rocket, Nathan Redman is fast, Holgate likes push forward, I think Chalobah, Baker, Will Hughes and Ward Prowse are great passers... Swift I know nothing about haha But the team looks awesome to me... The defence with Holding and Chambers looks solid too... I think they have a chance...
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Options
    I really like Demarai Gray.....said it last season.

If Leicester ain't giving him playing time then he needs to bounce. Go to a Soton or something.

Speaking of Leicester, so no one is gonna put in a bid for 2016's PFA player of the year? LMAO
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options
    Apparently we are selling The Ox to Lolverpool. Stupid decision if that is true.