Cops lives matter....some of'em

Options
Copper
Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
A black off-duty St. Louis officer trying to assist after a police car chase ended in a shootout near his home was shot by a white cop from his department.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the 38-year-old African-American cop was home Wednesday night when he heard commotion nearby.

According to the outlet, officers had been pursuing a white sedan with three male suspects inside when the car crashed near the intersection of Park Lane and Astra Ave.

The three men in the car opened fire on pursuing police and fled the scene.

The off-duty officer, who has not been identified, grabbed his department-issued gun and went out to offer assistance.

The outlet reports that he was initially stopped by two St. Louis officers and ordered to the ground.

A department summary of the incident released Thursday stated that when the cops recognized him as a member of their force, they told him to get up and walk toward them.

That's when another officer arrived to the scene, and fired at the off-duty cop, striking him in the arm.

During a news conference at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Interim Police Chief Lawrence O'Toole said the officer had been injured by "friendly fire" when cops and the suspects were involved in a shootout.

The department later confirmed the off-duty officer had been shot by another cop in a separate incident.

According to Fox 2 Now, the officer who fired at his colleague told investigators he feared for his safety and didn't recognize the man as one of their own. The on-duty officer's identity has also not been released, but he's said to be 36 years old and a member of the department for eight years.

An attorney for the injured cop said in a statement that the incident was a "real problem."

"In the police report, you have so far, there is no description of threat he received. So we have a real problem with that," Rufus Tate Jr. said. "But this has been a national discussion for the past two years. There is this perception that a black man is automatically feared."

The off-duty cop, an 11-year veteran of the force, was released from hospital Thursday. It's not clear if the cop who shot him is on administrative leave.

The two suspects involved in the police shootout, 17-year-old Cortney Smith and 17-year-old Deandre Chaney, are in police custody. The third suspect is still on the loose.

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What a great opportunity for the Black Officer to expose law enforcement for the racists, bigots and supporters of white supremacy that they are. But I am sure they are trying to pay the homie off and do damage control.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to wait and see how this black cop goes about this.

I say that cause ain't too many weak possible ? ass ? going to hire a lawyer named RUFUS.

I'm just saying!
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet that ? thought he was different from other black people before this happened. Lets see if he exposes those racist or just starts tap dancing. But in the meantime

yyq4wzweyhgc.gif
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Needs to happen more often. Divide and conquer those MFs.

As long as you have Black pigs sitting comfortably alongside the other race soldiers not doing anything about us being profiled and killed, ? 'EM.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They keep committing the same crime we keep having the same conversation..
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They both should do a 3-5
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Retired Correction Officer Beating By Police Says…: http://youtu.be/CxwIJdYfDcQ
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, this "I feared for my safety" defense as to go. That's one of the things that BLM and other activists need to add to the list of policy changes. Hell, that might need to be number 1. The reason we see it all the time is because it's a real defense for cops. All they have to say is that they feared for their safety and juries can acquit them. That's why it's so hard for them to be convicted of anything.

That was part of the problem with the Castile case. The officer said he was afraid for his safety, and from the video, he does appear to be afraid. However, being afraid shouldn't be a defense for killing someone.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, this "I feared for my safety" defense as to go. That's one of the things that BLM and other activists need to add to the list of policy changes. Hell, that might need to be number 1. The reason we see it all the time is because it's a real defense for cops. All they have to say is that they feared for their safety and juries can acquit them. That's why it's so hard for them to be convicted of anything.

That was part of the problem with the Castile case. The officer said he was afraid for his safety, and from the video, he does appear to be afraid. However, being afraid shouldn't be a defense for killing someone.

Yup, and as ? up as it may sound, id like to see a person shoot a cop, and use that as an excuse, just to see what would happen(we kno what would happen)
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I hope he sues for all he can get.

Cac literally rolled up and just shot the first black person he saw, no questions. Imagine if my man had died and couldn't tell the story himself. They wudda told all sorts a lies

Nah. That's what he gets for thinking he's 1 of them. He got his wake up call, that's enough compensation
  • rebootx1
    Options
    You are black before u are born therefor everything else comes thereafter
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »

Yup, and as ? up as it may sound, id like to see a person shoot a cop, and use that as an excuse, just to see what would happen(we kno what would happen)

That is literally what this thread is about bruh
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    farris2k1 wrote: »

That is literally what this thread is about bruh

Nah because this will probley go down as an "accidental shooting" and nothing will come of it
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »

I don't like to laugh at ppls pain but this one always makes me laugh....

"Treated me like I'm just another black dude"
    .........surrounded by civil rights activists....LOL

He thought he transcended race because of his badge.
  • rebootx1
    Options
    Lol if u can easily be put down on the ground becuz your skin color how can u hold your head high as a enforcement officer, doesn't make sense in my head, yo blackas could easily be looked at as a criminal cuz the color of your skin
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's ? was counting zeroes with every tear he dropped is, what he was doing.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He's a ? ass CO. In a lot of instances they're worse than regular police. ? that ? ass ? and I laugh every time that video is brought up.
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This incompetent cop just rolled up blasting. Just like how they killed Tamir Rice. After they shot a black man they'll say they were in fear of their life and they get off or get a mild sentence. It's like black men are dangerous predators like bears or wolves the way they're always scared and shooting them. Even then you can't ? those animals indiscriminately without a permit or w/e. This is sick.