So I just found out Thurgood Marshall was an FBI Informant

Options
2»

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For all the things Thurgood did. I feel really nothing about this.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly forgot about this. Nothing really came from it other than he had convos with the FBI
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its still going on today
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    For all the things Thurgood did. I feel really nothing about this.

Too bad his son a ?

Board of directors CCA?

Sometimes the myth is better than the facts. Marshall did a lot of good so whatever - no one is pure, no one
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    Its still going on today

Definitely. Always been like this outside of a few people here and there. And when you don't tow the line, you end up like MLK. Never forget that Charlie Rangel and the Congressional Black Caucus worked with Nixon to amp up the drug war in 1971. The same drugs the CIA brought in to our communities, and likely were behind both JFK and MLk's demise. The Deep State is real.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you actually bothered reading the article, you'd realize there's nothing insidious about this.

Welp
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt read

But a Supreme Court judge working with the FBI sounds like part of the job description
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Believe it or not, lots of black people fiercely opposed Communism........either because they didn't want to replace one kind of tyranny with another, or because they saw what a horrible chess move it would be for black people to become cannon fodder for Communists.
    S2J wrote: »
    Maybe he gave non essential info just to keep them at arms length. At least i hope so.

Information on any "Communists" attempting to infiltrate the Civil Rights Movement would qualify as that.

The Hoover Era FBI was half-? anyway, these cacs denied the mafia existed for like 50 years lol
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good drop. Haven't read yet, but it's sad to hear this.

Not surprising though, because I've heard Marshall and Hoover were "friends" (ugh), and then like others have said, one must remember the climate back then.

Regardless, he's still one of the greatest, if not the greatest, civil rights activists of our time.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard this before. Like others have said we are only getting one side of the story but informing is informing especially to the FBI.

To say they was shady is a severe understatement, everything from killing Fred Hampton and MLK and the surveillance of Malcolm and everything else under cointelpro, and that's just what we know. No telling what else the bureau was doing.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He probably had a good reason.. From the article it seemed like it was strategic, to get them to think what he wanted them to think, and if they were gonna be on his ass anyway why not get to know your enemy?

Great leaders know that you will never get anywhere unless you influence people with power.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So hes a fuckn rat
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can't beat em, join em.

There's two ways to approach the civil rights movement. The first way is to destroy the American government and overthrow the leaders.

The second way is to work within the system, assimilate and try to make change through the available channels (i.e. taking people to court).

History has told us that the American Government has too much power, too many weapons and infinite tactics of deception. Working within the system is more practical and can produce better results than trying to overthrow the government.

The Black Panthers tried to use violence as a tactic and they were infiltrated and disassembled. They didn't produce any tangible results.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

There's two ways to approach the civil rights movement. The first way is to destroy the American government and overthrow the leaders.

The second way is to work within the system, assimilate and try to make change through the available channels (i.e. taking people to court).

History has told us that the American Government has too much power, too many weapons and infinite tactics of deception. Working within the system is more practical and can produce better results than trying to overthrow the government.

The Black Panthers tried to use violence as a tactic
    and they were infiltrated and disassembled. They didn't produce any tangible results.

tenor.gif

Name three acts of violence that the Black Panthers initiated. I'll wait....
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you'll be surprised how many people are Informants...some can live right next door to you
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    He was a ? judge, why wouldn't he talk to the Feds?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

The Black Panthers tried to use violence as a tactic
    and they were infiltrated and disassembled. They didn't produce any tangible results.

tenor.gif

Name three acts of violence that the Black Panthers initiated. I'll wait....

I'll post 1

But I'll need you to transcribe what they were chanting @ 0:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2ZtO2Gt8I
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know who I heard also worked for the government?

Barack Obama. Ol snitch ass ?

Best post in the thread