20 Years Ago Today... Nas - It Was Written

Options

Comments

• Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't sold on Illmatic at the time. It took this album for me to admit he was the best rapper. He deserves a ? Pulitzer for I Gave You Power.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't sold on Illmatic at the time. It took this album for me to admit he was the best rapper. He deserves a ? Pulitzer for I Gave You Power.
    That's one of my favorite songs off IWW!
  • YapatnaJB
    YapatnaJB Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When this first came out why was silent murder only on the cassette tape?
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    me and my friends growing up would have heated debates about whether or not Foxy's math added up on "Affirmative Action"
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I still wish(ed) he rapped on the intro!! I almost feel like the beat was waisted, b/c that track was tooooo smooth!
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    I always thought Take it in Blood, Silent Murderer, the firm song and live ? Rap was the hardest songs on there. Live ? Rap after I went back years later and listened sounds like all three of them was dissing Tupac. I didn't know at first but I had to absorb the lyrics later on.

Na he was subliminally dissin jay
    1 luv 1 life so ther can only be 1 king-nas
    0:46
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=T9Cg4C766Ec
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thought Take it in Blood, Silent Murderer, the firm song and live ? Rap was the hardest songs on there. Live ? Rap after I went back years later and listened sounds like all three of them was dissing Tupac. I didn't know at first but I had to absorb the lyrics later on.

That wasn't even a shot at Jay, "Lex with TV sets the minimum" was the only shot, and you got the wrong song
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas's best album this ? is undisputed
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Suspect" was my favorite song on the album.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was my introduction to nas, i remember being in gym and my guy was like the new nas lp about to come out, i was like who's nas he was like you'll find out lol. I heard that lp and been a fan since, i didn't like az cause i thought he wanted to be nas and jay wanted to be az lol. Grew outta that quick once i heard 22 2's been a fan since. It was written and muddy waters my favorite lp's ever
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Escobar season needs to return!
    B)

I always thought he said " EScobar Caesar" *kanye shrug*
  • Dogowner14
    Dogowner14 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas about It Was Written

Nas: I wanted to make a street album with Marley Marl. I looked up to him as an inventor of so many styles of hip-hop music. I loved what he did with LL Cool J on Mama Said Knock You Out. And being from the same hood, I thought the second album had to be with Marley.

They did try it out but something went wrong

I went in there and we went to work but Marley lives kind of far away. It always felt like a mission to get out there, even though we didn’t work every day, just weekends. I didn’t [always] get out there, either—I was getting in a little trouble here and there around my ways.

After a while, some of my songs appeared as promos on the radio with all kinds of ? rapping on them—meanwhile, I hadn’t even finished working on the song for my album. I had a song called “On the Real” that I didn’t finish, and before I could, I’m hearing it on the radio with people rapping on it. I couldn’t understand that. I was hurt and I knew I couldn’t work like that.

So, I had to rethink my whole album. I didn’t know what to do at that point because if I couldn’t do it with Marley, I didn’t have a plan B. I had to figure out something else, so me and Steve Stoute sat together and had a meeting.
  • Dogowner14
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nas about the message

Nas: There were lots of new rappers in the game and lots of us were making noise. You had Jay Z, Mobb Deep, Raekwon. 2Pac was going crazy. Everybody was gunning for position. That was my feeling on “The Message” like, “Yo, back up, everybody.”

We definitely was referring to New York as a whole with the “one king” line.
  • Dogowner14
    edited July 2017
    Options
    And Mobb never gave Live ? rap to Nas for free. They all loved it so much so it end up Nas had to buy it from Mobb Deep.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B)

YOU ARE NOT ALONE :sweat_smile:
  • Dogowner14
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nas also liked mo money mo homicide alot. I am not sure if he wanted to be on his album but he said that it's one of his personal favorite songs
  • Dogowner14
    Options
    This album used to be my favorite album. I'd put Stillmatic over this album tho.

I'd say Illmatic,Stillmatic,It Was Written.
  • Dogowner14
    Options
    It justifies, Nas Escobar’s leavin ? mesmerized
    Mega live, like the third world
    Decipher my deceiver make him a believer
    Spitting gem stars, words in my mic type receiver
    Bond is my life so I live by my word
    Never fraudulent Queensbridge don’t make no herbs
    Spread my name to deacons, politicians while they speakin
    Rebel to America civilization caught you sleepin
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Live ? rap wasn't going at Pac. Pac dissed Mobb a little before It was written came out. Like a mouth before It was written dropped. So most likely Live ? rap was already recorded. And Nas was talking about Biggie with that 1 luv 1 Life so there can only be one king line. Jay-z 1st album hadn't even dropped at that time. You confused that song for the one on I Am where he said "? talking about they the king of New York. It's not about that"
  • Dogowner14
    edited July 2017
    Options

Live ? rap wasn't going at Pac. Pac dissed Mobb a little before It was written came out. Like a mouth before It was written dropped. So most likely Live ? rap was already recorded. And Nas was talking about Biggie with that 1 luv 1 Life so there can only be one king line. Jay-z 1st album hadn't even dropped at that time. You confused that song for the one on I Am where he said "? talking about they the king of New York. It's not about that"

P verse that he had on there is actually the rhyme that he originally had on LA LA. So P went at Pac(Westcoast)

Nas I don't know

Prodigy verse on live ? rap is one of the illest ive heard yo. Nothing to take away from Nas because thats one of the illest verse ive heard aswell. Theese ? went off yo
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dogowner14 wrote: »

P verse that he had on there is actually the rhyme that he originally had on LA LA. So P went at Pac(Westcoast)

Nas I don't know

Prodigy verse on live ? rap is one of the illest ive heard yo. Nothing to take away from Nas because thats one of the illest verse ive heard aswell. Theese ? went off yo

Prodigy was going at Snoop and the Dogg Pound on LA LA not Pac.

https://youtu.be/31VXPmZlD9w
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B)

That's cause you don't clean your ears listenin 2 all that bs
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was a lil disappointed at first, because it wasnt Illmatic 2.0, but that quickly changed....This ? is still dope,,,
  • Dogowner14
    Options
    Dogowner14 wrote: »

Nas I don't know

Prodigy was going at Snoop and the Dogg Pound on LA LA not Pac.

https://youtu.be/31VXPmZlD9w

There was a time when Prodigy wanted to ? Tupac.