Mostly True or Mostly False: "Rare is the Union of Beauty with Modesty" - Juvenal

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
For you illiterates out there, that's Juvenal the ancient Roman poet who's quoted, not Juvenile the rapper.

So how valid do you think the quotation is? Moreover, is there an inverse relationship between beauty and modesty?

Just hang with me for right now, because I don't have all my thoughts organized. I'm simply just curious to hear what others think. Ladies, your thoughts on women and/or men are certainly welcome too.

So for instance, how often in your life have you come across a woman who was "dime status" (physically wise) but at the same time actually humble (personality wise)?

Are most "dimes" (physical-wise) egotistical and/or superficial? If yes, what is the essential reason for this? And does that mean that most dimes (physical-wise) are largely not wifey status? which would imply the paradox that most of the very women whom men chase after and value (physically wise) the most are in fact undesirable as mates.

Mostly True or Mostly False: "Rare is the Union of Beauty with Modesty" - Juvenal 18 votes

Mostly True
61%
playmaker88bambujonoBiblicalAtheist KairoOlorun22TrillfateLUClENonetoughmiracleluke1733PureYang 11 votes
Mostly False
22%
spit_fiyaCashmoneyDuxd1al_t0neLefty_ 4 votes
Other (Please Explain)
16%
[Deleted User]LEMZIMUS_RAMSEYEmM HoLLa. 3 votes

Comments

• Plutarch
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Let's be real here, aside from the IC ducktales, most of us who get married do not end up marrying dimes but instead end up happily or unhappily marrying nines (if we're that fortunate) and below.

This is why it's said that sometimes people end up marrying those whom they would never have guessed in a million years or end up marrying those whom they initially found to be not so attractive.

But is marrying a dime even worth it, if her personality is ? and/or you're insecure about her attractiveness all the time?

Honestly, if I could marry an ideal dime (physical-wise) - so let's say that she'd look like Bria Myles, for example - I definitely would, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd also have to think real hard about the ? that might come along with marrying a dime like Bria Myles.

vvv Reference, for those unfamiliar with Bria Myles. And trust me, she has a pretty face too.
    1118full-bria-myles.jpg
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mostly True
    I think this is true of any ability / talent / gift that we have, though. We flaunt it when we got it, whether that's our money, our brains, our athleticism, or our moral character. We are very narcissistic that way
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its gotta be hard to be getting propositioned for sex soon as u hit puberty and still maintain a balanced ego.

the few woman ive met who seem to exhibit these characteristics were in relationships already
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mostly True
    Plutarch wrote: »
    For you illiterates out there, that's Juvenal the ancient Roman poet who's quoted, not Juvenile the rapper.

So how valid do you think the quotation is? Moreover, is there an inverse relationship between beauty and modesty?

Just hang with me for right now, because I don't have all my thoughts organized. I'm simply just curious to hear what others think. Ladies, your thoughts on women and/or men are certainly welcome too.

So for instance, how often in your life have you come across a woman who was "dime status" (physically wise) but at the same time actually humble (personality wise)?

Are most "dimes" (physical-wise) egotistical and/or superficial? If yes, what is the essential reason for this? And does that mean that most dimes (physical-wise) are largely not wifey status? which would imply the paradox that most of the very women whom men chase after and value (physically wise) the most are in fact undesirable as mates.
    Physical BEAUTy
    Lookism is really quite a peculiar powerful trait that does typically corrupt most (meaning like 95%) to feel that just because of their looks they also are better at almost everything else than normal looking people. It works just as bad for the people subject to their influence and their power as it does to those beautiful people like myself who hold it.

Main, thing that seems so self-righteous about it is how people grant it as being a very positive and honest virtue that is to be looked at as a better or more respectable trait revealing a person's character that is trustworthy and justified in all the positive attributes of life. The ironic and evil thing about it is that due to all this treatment, grooming and nurturing of these beautiful ones THEY end up eventually actually becoming pretty good at things that had they been treated like normal looking people they would have shown themselves to be quite insecure, unqualified, powerless and ignorant.
    Basically I mean: An unqualified beautiful person can get hired quicker (depending on the sex of the one doing the hiring), is more likely to be listened to, will develop friends quicker, generate more smiles from strangers, be seen as more secure and confident by others, be less likely to be convicted of a crime, and be invited to more functions without having actually had to do or say much. Having received all this, those who respond in such a way will often in conversation make beauty the last thing they admit to as to why they granted or treated that person with privilege (outside of sex).

On another point on the conflict of the sexes on beauty vs morals:
    If you say you date a woman because of her job people will say you're weird and shallow or ? /male gold digger. If a woman says she has a strict height limit (and many do) then most women will agree with her but will admit that there is some degree of vanity attached to it.
    On almost every other preference there is criticism but beauty seems to always be seen as innocent.
    Casey Anthony??? She's not beautiful to me but to white folk they love her ass. Tell me she would have got off if she was ugly?

Sometimes the most beautiful thing is watching someone who was BEAUTIFUL lose their LOOKS in the prime of their life.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CYIjW3EacU
  • PureYang
    PureYang Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mostly True
    Im friends with plenty of attractive women... Some of those closest to me are very pretty...

And I can honestly say that they are merely humbled by circumstance, rather than genuine humility.

If they were to some how come up, I have no doubt they'd be as bougie as the next
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my wife is beautiful...
    most complete woman i ever met.

she is very humble with her looks an status.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    I think this is true of any ability / talent / gift that we have, though. We flaunt it when we got it, whether that's our money, our brains, our athleticism, or our moral character. We are very narcissistic that way

Yeah, I was thinking this might be the case too.

And in a way, it might not necessarily be a bad thing. There's a difference between confidence that might be justified and cockiness that might be unjustified.

Sometimes, we have no choice but to be egoistic, but I think being narcissistic is taking it too far.
    huey wrote: »
    its gotta be hard to be getting propositioned for sex soon as u hit puberty and still maintain a balanced ego.

the few woman ive met who seem to exhibit these characteristics were in relationships already

Agreed. I've always imagined what kind of woman a girl can become if she's been constantly told how pretty she was since birth. And then all the propositions, ugh. Can't not be a bighead.

Not saying that men aren't immune either. It all starts during youth/puberty.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »

Physical BEAUTy
    Lookism is really quite a peculiar powerful trait that does typically corrupt most (meaning like 95%) to feel that just because of their looks they also are better at almost everything else than normal looking people. It works just as bad for the people subject to their influence and their power as it does to those beautiful people like myself who hold it.

Main, thing that seems so self-righteous about it is how people grant it as being a very positive and honest virtue that is to be looked at as a better or more respectable trait revealing a person's character that is trustworthy and justified in all the positive attributes of life. The ironic and evil thing about it is that due to all this treatment, grooming and nurturing of these beautiful ones THEY end up eventually actually becoming pretty good at things that had they been treated like normal looking people they would have shown themselves to be quite insecure, unqualified, powerless and ignorant.
    Basically I mean: An unqualified beautiful person can get hired quicker (depending on the sex of the one doing the hiring), is more likely to be listened to, will develop friends quicker, generate more smiles from strangers, be seen as more secure and confident by others, be less likely to be convicted of a crime, and be invited to more functions without having actually had to do or say much. Having received all this, those who respond in such a way will often in conversation make beauty the last thing they admit to as to why they granted or treated that person with privilege (outside of sex).

On another point on the conflict of the sexes on beauty vs morals:
    If you say you date a woman because of her job people will say you're weird and shallow or ? /male gold digger. If a woman says she has a strict height limit (and many do) then most women will agree with her but will admit that there is some degree of vanity attached to it.
    On almost every other preference there is criticism but beauty seems to always be seen as innocent.
    Casey Anthony??? She's not beautiful to me but to white folk they love her ass. Tell me she would have got off if she was ugly?

Sometimes the most beautiful thing is watching someone who was BEAUTIFUL lose their LOOKS in the prime of their life.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CYIjW3EacU

Very interesting and well said.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    PureYang wrote: »
    Im friends with plenty of attractive women... Some of those closest to me are very pretty...

And I can honestly say that they are merely humbled by circumstance, rather than genuine humility.

If they were to some how come up, I have no doubt they'd be as bougie as the next

Yeah, that's interesting.

I've heard that before she became "Marilyn Monroe II," Anna Nicole Smith was just some country girl living in a small town or something. I don't doubt that maybe she was humbled by her circumstance before she got famous, but I wondered how much she changed, if any, afterwards.

Funny how fame and attention changes us.
    my wife is beautiful...

Respect. You seem to have a good life.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    It's not totally the woman's fault all the time though. Its reinforced behavior. A pretty chick or a chick with a nice body that gets constant compliments will begin to feed into it eventually.

When people are willing to pay you to sit and eat with them, pay for sex, pay to watch you online, or pay to just take a picture of you, I would think your ego would grow a bit.

Yeah, it's a combination of things. I'm not the one to put all the blame on women/men. It certainly is reinforced behavior. And I've been guilty of contributing to the problem.
    jono wrote: »
    Also in our society, its pretty much how we socialize girls. The less clothes you wear the more attention you get. We make multimillionaires out of people who do nothing, they just pretty for a living. So it's mostly true and its mostly our fault too.

Yeah, I hate that. I can't imagine the difficulty I would have if I ever had a daughter, no diss. Apparently, after your kids hit the pre-teen range, your influence gives way to their friends and the world.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other (Please Explain)
    The way I see it is simple.. If a chick doesn't have a healthy respect for you.. It will show. No matter how she looks.. If you carry yourself in a respectful manner.. A dime is going to fall in line.. They know who they can act that way with and who they can't act that way with..

You think a "dime" is acting all crazy with someone she truly respects.. Whether it be a rapper/athlete/Hustler/Lawyer/Doctor/etc? Hell no..
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    PureYang wrote: »

Yeah, that's interesting.

I've heard that before she became "Marilyn Monroe II," Anna Nicole Smith was just some country girl living in a small town or something. I don't doubt that maybe she was humbled by her circumstance before she got famous, but I wondered how much she changed, if any, afterwards.

Funny how fame and attention changes us.
    my wife is beautiful...

Respect. You seem to have a good life.

thank you...but it didn't come without work.

my wife always said....she saw very pretty girls better looking than her....still get dogged out and treated like ? .

and in the hood. it's alot of beautiful women all over the place....around every corner...

how you maintain that beauty, is another story.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    The way I see it is simple.. If a chick doesn't have a healthy respect for you.. It will show. No matter how she looks.. If you carry yourself in a respectful manner.. A dime is going to fall in line.. They know who they can act that way with and who they can't act that way with..

You think a "dime" is acting all crazy with someone she truly respects.. Whether it be a rapper/athlete/Hustler/Lawyer/Doctor/etc? Hell no..

? , I agree, but I wonder how high her standards would be for her to genuinely respect you, especially if you weren't famous or rich, and she has millionaires and such hollering at her. And if you do gain her respect, how far does that respect take you? Marriage?

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options

good point....

very good point.

goes to wake wife up to see if she'll make me a sandwich just cuz I asked.

*fingers crossed at boss ? test*
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

? , I agree, but I wonder how high her standards would be for her to genuinely respect you, especially if you weren't famous or rich, and she has millionaires and such hollering at her. And if you do gain her respect, how far does that respect take you? Marriage?

another good point.

I think that makes the percentage of a small fukk up being a mountain grow.

I think all women want stability but more so...to know their beauty is wanted by powerful men.

with those powerful dudes comes a certain level of maintenance for the woman....now they must compete with young thots who are cool to not take him but just have access because of their looks. enter going under the knife and botox....countered by instagram
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is like life has its own character creator. Certain things get extra points while other ? doesnt. I can recall women ive met that are one or the other. Some that are balanced. A few that excel at both or everything.

The same can be said of folks in all aspects of life. That quote is bigger than what it shows.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    Other (Please Explain)

Bunch of factors.. But if you solid.. She will treat you as such.. Especially if you doing right by her.. Wont matter what another ? is talking about.. She good..

My best advice to any dude out there.. Get yourself together.. To the point that when you put yourself in the presence of a "dime" it's up to you whether you want her or not.. Not the other way around.. Hopefully that makes sense...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Bunch of factors.. But if you solid.. She will treat you as such.. Especially if you doing right by her.. Wont matter what another ? is talking about.. She good..

My best advice to any dude out there.. Get yourself together.. To the point that when you put yourself in the presence of a "dime" it's up to you whether you want her or not.. Not the other way around.. Hopefully that makes sense...

makes alot of sense.....
    don't chase the woman... make the woman chase you....

we gave women too much power. men aren't taught how to be men or should I say
    ...not enough men around to teach the youth.

but I have known alot of women to have a high sense of entitlement after being treated like ? for a majority of their lives
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In other words "Put yourself in a position to get chose so u ain't gotta do the choosin'." aka....

"Boss Ya Life Up!"

And I concur sir! lol
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mostly True
    There are PATTERNS of BEHAVIOR for super attractive people. Not everyone follows the pattern.
    Excuse the book/titangraph but it's a topic I can feel and wanna speak on.
    this isn't to be applied to those it doesn't apply to BUT to those who it does, and y'all know the ones that follow the pattern bc some of them are us/here.
    We can't turn a blind eye to something being very wrong with people willing to cut their bodies open to put plastic inside of them to make them prettier. Facelifts, bleached skin,nose reductions, Chinese eyelid surgeries, breast implants, botox, fake eyelashes, acid on hair, high heels, make-up, fake hair, stomachs stapled, fake nails, shaved ribs, rib removals, liposuction, tummy tucks, butt implants. Men definitely are not removed from criticism (steroids and promoting/endorsing our desire for a certain look). There's a reason people are doing this AND IT'S NOT MODESTY!!!!

Again, what is excused, tolerated and admired in beautiful women from men is seen as unfair by ugly women. I don’t have much tolerance for arrogance and being siddity. I don’t care what treatment someone gives to you; that is not an excuse I will give to someone being able to receive privileges that are unfair to others. I also do not like anyone thinking that due to how they look (outside of physical/mental health) I should be thankful to them or for them or for them. I don't like the expectation from society that I should treat them any way differently.
    Do physically attractive people ((dimes. Let’s be clear. I know most women who are 6's 7s and 8s think they are 10s, but let's be real. Many people are confusing fine with unusual beauty. I’m strictly speaking about very attractive people.)) force an agenda on the rest of the world? Do they instigate or perpetrate harm to others more than non attractive people? Of course not. BUT in America (I’ve traveled to 7 other countries and have not seen this the same way in those countries) we have something different going on here when it comes to how Hollywood and our society reveres physically beautiful people. This is something that our society for the most part socially ignores in self-righteousness yet values on a spiritual level of absurdity. Ugly people in America are treated horribly. And more than the privileges granted to the attractive, the discrimination on the UGLY people should be addressed. BUT IT NEVER WILL. Who will admit they're physically ugly and stand up????? And for all the jokes that can be created from that, it really does need to be addressed due to how out of hand our fascination with a pretty face has been distorted. Often people quickly excuse the woman’s privileges on beauty and blame others, BUT when it comes to Beautiful men (no ? ) they quickly can see the privileges as unfair.
    I work for a high end corporation in a building of over 3,000 people all working to produce one thing. It is by no accident that over 80% of the people in the building are very attractive and most men are a certain height and body size and women of a certain body type that is far from the representation of the average for the Average American.
    Last note I have to say is a word on FALSE MODESTY: I can reveal stories about myself but I won’t unless asked. I’ll just go a different direction and say a TON of people who you think are humble and acting MODEST are doing just that…..ACTING. They are acting that way because they are conscious of how they would look and be treated if they acted how they truly feel. In other words some beautiful people are kind, talkative and reserved because they truly feel the world already caters to them AND they are aware enough to know if they acted how they want to act then the responses they would get for being an ? or arrogant or possibly get their ? kicked are not worth it when it comes to the alternative choice of acting like a person everyone loves and wants to see & therefore by acting MODEST they elevate their status and lose nothing. Those who act this way are inviting, pleasant and all the other adjectives you would use to identify as modest. BUT if you took away their looks you would see them cry, enter depression, not want to be around others anymore, not tell their jokes. Why did they change? I thought they were modest. No. They changed because they knew they were only afforded their way of being due to the privileges inherited, and as long as those privileges weren’t revoked they could never fail. They knew how they TRULY felt about ugly people and once they saw themselves as ugly then the truth of their arrogance becomes a ghost to haunt their former confidence into low-self esteem due to what they based their self-esteem on.

With all that said. Not all beautiful people are like that, and the percentages are very confusing/too confusing to really judge who to blame (the victim or the perpetrator). Much of what I’ve said does not apply to many beautiful people, but it does apply to enough for me to witness and experience directly too much to sit here and act like that ? ’s not something to be discussed.

Sidenote:One of these commenters on here with AHH responding is a woman posing like a man. I can read her responses and I know that voice. I'm a writer and I can identify gender through words hahaha. Keep posing, but I see ya'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbG05ePWRQE
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    Other (Please Explain)
    MallyG wrote: »

In other words "Put yourself in a position to get chose so u ain't gotta do the choosin'." aka....

"Boss Ya Life Up!"

And I concur sir! lol

Chuuch!
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mostly False
    Nah, I've met plenty of beautiful women that were humble...granted, some didn't realize just how beautiful they were though so there's that.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mostly True
    Mostly true.

When you are fed accolades/adulation/praise/compliments/material gains all these things that fuel the simple minded those things dont exactly nurture your core.

In rare cases you get people who just be.. and dont feel any pressure to be.. Who have a strong sense of self regardless if anyone is admiring their them whos lives/existence do not revolve around validation..

as far as that dime ? .. thats in the eye of the beholder i wont even full flesh out how people give credit for one being a dime based on all the ? they put on to create that illusion..... thats all subjective anyhow
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mostly True
    Sion wrote: »
    Perception and perspectives get in flux here because most people consider intelligence to be or having some scholastic accomplishment when scholastic education has nothing to do with it.

A lot of it too is derived from preconceived notions stemming from insecurities men have when they see these women because immediately they themselves think about what material item is needed to get her attention (SMMFH). A woman such as Amber Rose is could be no less intelligent than a Michelle Obama type. It all depends on where you're from and where your interests are....

There are the girls who are "airheads" or stupid af on both sides of the coin. We have to stop making assumptions and remember never to judge a book by its cover.

We have to consider that there are kinds of intelligence. An ex-stripper can not be compared to a woman who graduated from Harvard law school. This is evidenced by the kinds of men they chose.