4:44 Album - *JAY-Z* (06/30/17).

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White folks claiming anti semitism

How did they get that out of what was said?

How is is antisemitism when it's a positive stereotype. Ain't these Jews the owners of the record labels who push stereotypical images of blacks. The ? irony.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    Dehaven is all on IG riding Hov nh...

Weird.

Link

IC won't link captions but u can see them for yourselves.

Bunch of other photos too

Plan A didn't work for him so he's on Plan B right now.
    I been a Jayz fan since reasonable doubt,I have been on his side through the beans, dame and currently Kanye beef, he provided opportunities for those guys to be rich forever.
    One thing I will never support him for is his treatment of Jaz o and dehaven.
    I don't care what they did to him, he doesn't have to hang with them, he can just set them up financially especially jaz o.
    It sad to see where he's at financially and where Jaz o is at. "I came in the game on Jaz back"
    This is not about who wronged who,it's about making sure Jaz o is good.he deserves it.

But Jaz-O didn't sign the contract

I get that but how long are we going to count that against him?
    I just wish That someday he will find it in his heart to help put the originator back on.

I don't think it's the contract ? with Jaz. It's the fact he ran to snitch to Nas and put Jay business out there. A snitch is an unforgettable label.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Imo some albums you just get that classic feel out the gate with.....I didn't need 5 years to know college dropout was gonna be a classic I didn't need 5 years to know blueprint was a classic ? calling TPAB a classic and that came out 2 years ago once I heard stillmatic I knew it was a classic some albums that just have that immediate impact on the culture and have the high quality of music to match don't need 5 years and this is one of those albums imo..... I'm sure some won't agree becuz no album is agreed by EVERYBODY but I've seen enough of the impact this album has had already and seen how this album quality wise is put up against other classics to make that claim a bit early
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another salty ? lol. add future to the list
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Imo some albums you just get that classic feel out the gate with.....I didn't need 5 years to know college dropout was gonna be a classic I didn't need 5 years to know blueprint was a classic ? calling TPAB a classic and that came out 2 years ago once I heard stillmatic I knew it was a classic some albums that just have that immediate impact on the culture and have the high quality of music to match don't need 5 years and this is one of those albums imo..... I'm sure some won't agree becuz no album is agreed by EVERYBODY but I've seen enough of the impact this album has had already and seen how this album quality wise is put up against other classics to make that claim a bit early

You sound unlettered
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    family feud best song on the album gahdamn its been on repeat all day

I listened to that ? 4 times straight
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The footnotes for The Story of OJ was as dope as I thought it would be. I don't remember who said it earlier but what Trevor Noah said was real. One slip in front of them bright lights for us & it could all be over. Fame be damned.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »

You sound unlettered

And your sound in your feelings either put your big boy pants on and talk about it or ?
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    My album review.......

It’s amazing how the world can still be taken by surprise, even in 2017. One month ago, while the hip-hop community was still basking in Kendrick Lamar’s ascension to the throne with DAMN, we had no idea what Sean Carter - aka Jay-Z - was up to in his somewhat-second-retirement phase. As least that’s what it looked like. Then, out of nowhere, we got messages popping up: 4:44 was coming. It took hip-hop about two weeks to even figure out that Jay-Z was dropping something that would once again be exclusive to Tidal, his music streaming service. Based off what we’ve heard from his last album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, most of expected Hov to give us something nice to nod to, bounce to, brag to, and pounce all over the new wave of trap rappers with. What we got was a beautiful flip of the script.

The 13th offering to hip-hop by one of its most acclaimed emcees and artists, 4:44, Jay-Z brings us a look into his life like never-before-seen or heard of. We’ve normally been used to Jay Hova as the ultimate businessman in hip-hop: from kingpin on the block, to rising to hip-hop‘s crown after the passing of his friend and mentor The Notorious B.I.G., to creating successful ventures such as Roc-A-Wear, Roc Nation, and the aforementioned Tidal, even his marriage to pop ultra star Beyonce and the creation of their new family, Jay-Z has been the poster child for “making it” in this life with what he was given early on. For the most part, he was never afraid to let us know, championing fashions, trends, and how we moved and applied cultures to our own lives. 4:44 takes all those success and balances them against everything we thought we knew (or had speculations about), and for the very first time, Sean the man take the stage and leaves Jay the rapper behind on the mic.....and the world has given it an astounding reception. As this is led by No I.D. producer's acumen, this album gives us a real “Soul on Wax” tour.

So, what on this album that’s so special?: Honestly, what isn’t? We’ve been waiting for this version of S. Carter since he came out of “retirement” to give us personal growth and reflection, not just financial and cultural dominance. Jay begins this immediately on “? Jay Z”, as he talks about finally shedding the darkness he’s seen, and coming out publicly with his own demons; with his friends (with a few bars at his “lil’ brother” Kanye for good measure) and his own infidelity (LOL @ shots at Eric Benet, ”? , NEVER go Eric Benet”). “The Story of O.J.” gives us a further driving point from Jay’s eyes that no matter how successful you are, if you are black, you’re “still ? ” around America, and takes a aim at wondering why the black community is so far behind, economic empowerment wise, and why the Jewish community has attained true power and independence in this country.

(Side note: if you live in New York City, you should already know this. We see it everyday. Why the media decided to get their panties in a bunch over Jay saying this only further explains his point.)

On “Smile”, Jay takes the hate he knows that is covered up by smiles, and exclaims that despite it all, why he’s way on Mt. Rapmore when it comes to this game, and why people see what they only wish to see. This track is also noted for Jay allowing his mother, Gloria Carter, to showcase her own coming out as a lesbian, which is beautiful in its own right. As the soul tour continues with “Caught In Their Eyes”, Frank Ocean makes a gracious appearance. The album’s deepest track, “4:44”, goes much deeper into Jay’s previous mentioned cheating on Beyonce, and how as a nearly 50-year-old man, he’s realized just how much he’s hurt her, as well as how the lives they’ve created, summing it up with, “You did what with WHO?/what good is a ménage à trois when you have a soul mate/You risked that for Blue?”

By the time we get to “Family Feud”, he’s able to understand that when they all combine talents and resources in the Carter-Knowles household, it really is no ceiling to what that family can achieve, also re-affirming that he’s with his family, telling the home wreckers out there, “leave me alone, Becky.” Using the “Bam Bam” sample from Sister Nancy, Damian Marley drops by on “Bam” for a nice reggae/hip-hop crossover track guaranteed to get a club amped up this summer, while still letting Jay be the young Jay that we got to know and revere. (“I be skippin leg day, I still run the world/I press the head of ya team with one finger curl”) The album wraps up with three tracks, “Moonlight”, “Marcy Me” which is a wonderful pass through memory lane, and “Legacy” on how the spoils of his work will be seen throughout the generations with this game almost assured to reincarnate itself in his kids. There’s way too much to cover in the 10 tracks listed, but Jay has really laid it out there for the listener to get a better understanding of what has driven him in ways most of us never thought.

Could there have been more done here?: The problem with a concept album is sometimes that it can get so personal, that it encapsulates the whole project, and there’s no room for a time out. I honestly felt that 10 tracks was a bit light, and that something could’ve been done for the clubs, a la one of the many chart-topping hits we’ve grooved to from Marcy’s own. (Maybe someone along the lines of “Grown Man B-I” or something.) This is the first Jay-Z album where there’s not a real dance track here, and it just feels so…..incomplete. Other than that, there’s no real downsides, here.

My scores:
    Lyricism: 9.25/10
    Production: 9/10
    Album Cohesiveness: 9.5/10
    Replay Value: 9/10
    Overall: 9.25/10

Final Thoughts: 4:44 is a great coming-full-circle vision on how one S. Carter has turned his gifts to what he’s said for years; as a gift and a curse. Yes, it’s brought him status, power, fame, and fortune, but it’s also brought him trials, tribulations, and pain. By broadcasting all of this in 30 minutes or so, he’s able to hopefully give the next generation a road map to success and how to avoid the pitfalls of his own setbacks....all for $9.99.

Do I feel that this album will get him hip-hop’s crown back from K. Dot? No. And it shouldn’t. Because it simply no longer matters. That’s the point here: he’s worn that crown, and many rappers have kissed that ring. He’s lane to glory is always paved. 4:44 is about what happens after your prime is past and your present hold a new chapter. As this album is very similar to Nas’s Life Is Good, both are able to bask on past triumphs, reflect on present relationship troubles, and give their own view on parenting challenges. Jay’s comes with much more glamour and style, because, well…..he’s Jay. But him even peeling the onion of his this far back puts 4:44 at least in the Album of the Year conversation. If this is Jay’s final offering to the world of hip-hop, I’m just glad he’s saved the autobiography for last, because this is his most truest work since one could say all the way back to the beginning, when Reasonable Doubt gave us a young emcee from Marcy projects and the promise of greatness he showed back then.

Favorite Tracks: The Story of O.J., 4:44, Marcy Me

Got DAMN Mister B, cultivating review...salute!
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What if Jay Z is just riding another wave now that conscious rap is going platinum with J Cole and Kendrick? If trap was doing them numbers would this album sound like it does?

You thinking too hard....he's 50 with newborn twins my guy. Shawn Carter don't have time to play wit y'all boys in the studio anymore. He's probably thinking he's done everything he wanted to musically. It's like on the show Moesha when at the end of each episode it'll close with her final thoughts on what she learned. 4:44 is Jay's final thoughts, Cole, Dot, and etc can take Hip Hop to the next level.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    ? ? will learn when they ain't hot no more a la Nelly, etc. Flashing that temporary money until they can't afford to pay the IRS they money. Lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    White folks claiming anti semitism

How did they get that out of what was said?

How is is antisemitism when it's a positive stereotype. Ain't these Jews the owners of the record labels who push stereotypical images of blacks. The ? irony.

I don't think they know how much ? Jews actually own and how many powerful positions they are in.

Hollywood execs, Jews
    Famous actors , Jews
    Bankers, Jews
    Politicians, Jews
    Record label execs, Jews

They mad cuz a ? telling the truth? They DO own a lot of ? . They hate when the mirror is turned on them. I wish our biggest problem as black people was that we owned a bunch of ? . Must be nice
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    az98ujdvgevb.png

Dope No ID Rolling Stone interview about creating this album. I'm not gonna copy paste the whole thing but it's a must read if you're ? with this album heavy like I am
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/444-producer-no-id-talks-pushing-jay-z-creating-500-ideas-w490602
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    az98ujdvgevb.png

Dope No ID Rolling Stone interview about creating this album. I'm not gonna copy paste the whole thing but it's a must read if you're ? with this album heavy like I am
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/444-producer-no-id-talks-pushing-jay-z-creating-500-ideas-w490602

That was a pretty good read. The process behind making this feels more significant than anything he's done in a while. No ID has a point, most of the best classics are albums one artist/one producer.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another ? missing the point of the lyrics. This ? should focus on being a father to lil russel jr.

Lol ? talked about his kid
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    "But it helped us in the sense that it gave us more time to make some really important records. A lot of the thought process was, I held up classic albums and said, "What were the good parts and what were the mistakes?" Sometimes these classics, the continuity is what makes them classic, and then you have these examples of reaching for the single or the radio record. Albums I was pointing to were like Marvin Gaye'sWhat's Going On, Confessions by Usher, [Jay-Z's] The Blueprint, [Nas'] Illmatic, [Kanye West's] My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I analyzed the mistakes and tried not to make those mistakes. We wanted 10 really good songs where at no point are you like, "I know what you're trying to do, you could've kept that one." Sometimes you look back 10 years later and you go, "I see why you did it then, but 'No, thanks' today." By March, we were into that [process]."

Talk to em NoId to make a classic this late in your career gotta see the mistake made B4..... Classic
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Vol. 1
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Black Album
    The Blueprint
    4:44

This is pretty much my list

Really? Vol. 1 is straight trash to me. I listened to that album and wondered how Hov even recovered from it. It's one of the most boring albums I've ever heard from a great rapper.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Vol. 1
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Black Album
    The Blueprint
    4:44

This is pretty much my list

Really? Vol. 1 is straight trash to me. I listened to that album and wondered how Hov even recovered from it. It's one of the most boring albums I've ever heard from a great rapper.

*insert wtf button here*

Likewise man. Hell, after I listened to Vol 1 that time, I even came on here and made that comment, and people came out and was like "Yeah, Jay did really hit his stride til Vol 3." They might not have felt quite as strongly about Vol 1, but it ain't like I'm the only that feels that was a weak album.