20 Years Ago Today... Nas - It Was Written

Options
1235»

Comments

• za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I notice Silent Murder isn't on the Tidal version. I think it was only on the cassette in the US.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    I always thought Take it in Blood, Silent Murderer, the firm song and live ? Rap was the hardest songs on there. Live ? Rap after I went back years later and listened sounds like all three of them was dissing Tupac. I didn't know at first but I had to absorb the lyrics later on.

Na he was subliminally dissin jay
    1 luv 1 life so ther can only be 1 king-nas
    0:46
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=T9Cg4C766Ec

That wasn't even a shot at Jay, "Lex with TV sets the minimum" was the only shot, and you got the wrong song

I was talking about the damn king line
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gifted wrote: »
    Jay was not his comp at the time. Jay was a Nas Stan. He was sub dissing his true comp - Big on the East, Pac on the West. Letting them know on the first song. It was written will always be my favourite Nas album. Creative storytelling at its finest. Those first two albums pretty much put him as GOAT status for me.
    Dogowner14 wrote: »
    He went at Pac jay and biggie.

Nothing news brah.

Whats the line he went at Jay or Pac on IWW? Line and song
    za'kiss wrote: »
    Nas did throw a shot at Jay on IWW. Not shots, but a shot. The line about "Lex with TV sets the minimum" was for Jay. He's confirmed this in an interview. Jay also mentioned it in on the radio with Hot '97 after Supa Ugly dropped (at least I think it was during this session). He said the beef with Nas essentially started there, in that they were trading healthy competitive shots back and forth initially, but then it got serious.
    This is from the Complex interview referenced on Genius:

“I saw Jay-Z driving a Lexus with the TVs in them. I got rid of my Lexus at that point and I was looking for the next best thing. It wasn’t a shot at Jay but it was just saying that’s the minimum you gotta have. It’s not a shot at him but he inspired that line. It wasn’t necessarily a shot at him but because the song was a shot at everybody, he fell into that. But he definitely inspired that line."

So it wasn't a shot. More like props. He made him step his game up.
    Nas did throw a shot at Jay on IWW. Not shots, but a shot. The line about "Lex with TV sets the minimum" was for Jay. He's confirmed this in an interview. Jay also mentioned it in on the radio with Hot '97 after Supa Ugly dropped (at least I think it was during this session). He said the beef with Nas essentially started there, in that they were trading healthy competitive shots back and forth initially, but then it got serious.

You going have to pull up a link. Don't sound like a shot to me. Both of them had Lexus. The beef start because Nas didn't jump on the song with Jay and Biggie on RD. Later on he ? Nas baby mom and start calling himself the new King of NY.

Your time line is off, Jay wasn't on the radar yet

Actually bleek set the beef off full mode…
    Jay was in nas radar chase used to be around foxy an jay… jay used to smash foxy when she was 16 an he was 23 used to scoop her frm skoo …jay was even in pac radar… but jay Can't do no wrong in tha eyes of an east coast ? … an I keep seen this jay wasn't on nas level such such when nas was 18 jay was 23 so ya admitting to d!ck ride jay only because ya had nobody els at tha time ? Till dipset came out an got jay jealous … to tha point he ain't evn wan sp an dip doin futures
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jim1000 wrote: »
    Seriously name a rapper that had a better 1st two albums than illmatic and IWW?? Other than maybe Biggie, I can't think of any other rapper. Its gonna be hard for any rapper to top Nas's first 2 albums from here on out. Only Biggie imo that comes close. ? a lot ? best albums aint ? with IWW.

Not counting groups probably only biggie

Not saying better but ghostface 1st 2 are tough
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    It's actually 21 years not 20.

Classic Album and my favorite Nas album.

I gave you power is underrated
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwJ8WcZ6RY

If by underrated you mean held as one of the best story telling songs ever by many...you're right
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

You going have to pull up a link. Don't sound like a shot to me. Both of them had Lexus. The beef start because Nas didn't jump on the song with Jay and Biggie on RD. Later on he ? Nas baby mom and start calling himself the new King of NY.

Your time line is off, Jay wasn't on the radar yet

Nas disagrees with you.

You ? are stubborn as hell. Nas says, plainly, that it was a shot directed at everyone, and that it was inspired by Jay. So he clearly had Jay in mind when he thought of that line. What else do you want? Of course he wasn't savaging him at this point. But the point is that Jay was definitely on the radar. And like I said Jay traced the beef back to this initial line, which started as healthy competition.

Your arms must hurt, cause you reaching.

Nas has said in a few interview that Jay inspired that line about Lexus cars with the tv sets. That's old as ?
  • Dogowner14
    Dogowner14 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas been the king of NY since Illmatic dropped
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dogowner14 wrote: »
    Nas been the king of NY since Illmatic dropped

Wit your hat ? back talmbout yo gats an ? I don't believe that…
    Na but nas is that dude
  • wolfman91
    wolfman91 Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    One of thr best rap albums of all time
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disappointing ? album. This ? was almost as bad as Street's Disciple. Nas and Snoop proved that the sophomore jinx is real.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Disappointing ? album. This ? was almost as bad as Street's Disciple. Nas and Snoop proved that the sophomore jinx is real.

Lol