What would you do if a white guy asks you to give him this haircut?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
14295293_G.jpg
A predominantly black barbershop in Oklahoma City fulfilled a customer’s request by cutting the Confederate flag in a white man’s hair -- sparking a heated debate on social media.

Demontre Heard, a barber at the Fade N Up shop, said at first he was confused by the request from the customer, who wishes to remain anonymous, KWTV reported.

“He called on the phone knowing that it was a diverse shop, but mostly black barbers here,” Heard told the news station. “So I felt like he really didn’t have a problem with coming here even though he seemed kind of scared when he first came in.”

The flag has come under increased scrutiny after the June 2015 massacre at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C. The gunman, Dylann Roof, killed nine parishioners. After Roof was arrested, a website that was registered under his name showed him posing with the flag.

The customer explained that he wanted the flag’s design as a way to pay homage to Yelawolf, his favorite rapper. The logo for the artist’s record label, Slumerica, is a row of stars with four lightning bolts at the corners, but the customer explained to Heard that the Confederate Flag would be a fine substitute to the logo’s more elaborate design.

“It was just going to be too much, so he asked if I could do the Confederate flag in his head, and in the back of my head I’m like, ‘what kind of stuff are you on?’”

Corey “Scissorhands” Sutter, the owner of the barbershop, said the cut was one of the most unusual requests the shop has received. Other customers have asked for “Black Power,” according to Sutter.

A predominantly black barbershop in Oklahoma City fulfilled a customer’s request by cutting the Confederate flag in a white man’s hair -- sparking a heated debate on social media.

Continue Reading Below

Demontre Heard, a barber at the Fade N Up shop, said at first he was confused by the request from the customer, who wishes to remain anonymous, KWTV reported.

“He called on the phone knowing that it was a diverse shop, but mostly black barbers here,” Heard told the news station. “So I felt like he really didn’t have a problem with coming here even though he seemed kind of scared when he first came in.”

OKLAHOMA ARMY VETERAN LEAVES $2.25 MILLION ESTATE TO HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, 24 HOMES TO BE BUILT

The flag has come under increased scrutiny after the June 2015 massacre at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C. The gunman, Dylann Roof, killed nine parishioners. After Roof was arrested, a website that was registered under his name showed him posing with the flag.

The customer explained that he wanted the flag’s design as a way to pay homage to Yelawolf, his favorite rapper. The logo for the artist’s record label, Slumerica, is a row of stars with four lightning bolts at the corners, but the customer explained to Heard that the Confederate Flag would be a fine substitute to the logo’s more elaborate design.

Continue Reading Below

“It was just going to be too much, so he asked if I could do the Confederate flag in his head, and in the back of my head I’m like, ‘what kind of stuff are you on?’”

Corey “Scissorhands” Sutter, the owner of the barbershop, said the cut was one of the most unusual requests the shop has received. Other customers have asked for “Black Power,” according to Sutter.

OKLAHOMA 18-YEAR-OLD ARRESTED, ACCUSED OF PROSTITUTING TWO JUVENILES

After the cut, he decided to take a picture of the hairdo and post it on his Facebook page. The hairstyle went viral and many social media users either condemned or supported the decision.

“The thing that's really bothering me is, no matter how it may look to someone and them getting upset about it, this is what we do for a living,” Sutter told KFOR. “We provide a service for this person, and that's what we're supposed to do. Yeah, we could have denied it. Yes, we could have acted a fool and talked bad to him, tried to fight him or anything like that. But, he came in, he came in respectful. He wanted it.”

Heard said at the end of the day, the customer paid and was pleased with his haircut. “You have the right to your opinion,” Heard said. “At the end of the day your opinion doesn’t pay my bills, and I have kids to take care of.”

Comments

• babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "IF", I were a barber and someone called me with this request I would say no with no further explanation.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    looks more like someone drew it on his head with chalk
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    Aren't those lightening bolts a neo ? symbol?

pretty damn close

ss-bolts-1.jpg?itok=P3sGQ82g
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    for the record, this appears to be what the slumerican logo looks like

slumerican_wallpaper_by_brandatello-d8opqb4.jpg
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd try to take his whole damn ear off with those clippers
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I woulda gave him the cut and charge him way more than usual

Then I would slap a bunch of that after cut alcohol on his head with a heavy hand
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a cuter ? it
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have to believe even this bigoted ? eventually regretted this decision. How do you go anywhere and not feel like the biggest ? in the room? Us white people gotta do better...
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know the whole point for the white guy was to have the audacity to have a black person do it.

The double cross would have been if during the cut, the barber texted one of his homeboys to mask up and bust old boy head open when he walked out the barber shop.....

Barber should have ? his whole ? up. I suppose somebody wanting to brand themself like this is enough on its own, but atleast put "SULM" or ? up the confederate flag, something.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Barber said he did it because he wanted attention and thought it was savvy business move. smh
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless of either side's motives for this haircut I just wanna point out the fact that the barber did a ? poor job on this wack ass haircut.

The designs are randomly placed and poorly executed. Everybody involved receives an L.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless of either side's motives for this haircut I just wanna point out the fact that the barber did a ? poor job on this wack ass haircut.

The designs are randomly placed and poorly executed. Everybody involved receives an L.

He didn't put effort all into it. Possibly
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in all fairness... he did a really bad job at least.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Westie wrote: »
    Aren't those lightening bolts a neo ? symbol?

Only when there are two of them together, but I wouldn't count against one of those cats being too stupid to understand their own symbology.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you going to wish to remain anonymous with that Cool Doctor Money ? in your head? Does he plan on not leaving the house?
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know the whole point for the white guy was to have the audacity to have a black person do it.

The double cross would have been if during the cut, the barber texted one of his homeboys to mask up and bust old boy head open when he walked out the barber shop.....

Came here to post exactly this if I ever cross your path in my travels a round of whatever you drankin is on me *salutes*
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://kfor.com/2017/07/03/oklahoma-city-barber-shop-responds-after-photo-of-confederate-flag-haircut-goes-viral/
    Oklahoma City barber shop responds after photo of Confederate flag haircut goes viral

OKLAHOMA CITY – A haircut by a popular Oklahoma City barber shop has ignited a firestorm on social media.

Employees at Fade N Up said a white customer requested a Confederate flag be shaved into his head by a black barber, and the barbershop posted the photo on social media.

The photo created the firestorm on Facebook with many condemning the customer and the shop.

However, the shop's owner said the picture doesn't tell the whole story.

“I was thinking it was some racist-type stuff but, as he sat down and I was doing it and he was talking to me the whole time, and he explained to me why he was doing it, like, he was a really cool guy and I didn't feel like he was racist at all,” said Demontre Heard, a barber at Fade N Up.

Heard said the man wanted the flag for a reason.

“When he came in, he explained to me that it was because of his favorite rapper,” he said.

Heard said it’s a haircut other barbers in his shoes may not have handled so well but said this shop is different.

“If you're white, Asian, Mexican, Black, Puerto Rican, whatever, you sit in my chair and I cut your hair, I hope I leave you with the best haircut you get and I hope that you come back,” Heard said.

The owner of the shop, Corey Sutter, or 'Scissorhands,' said his place is an open door and he doesn’t get caught up in politics.

“When they came in, we kind of thought it was odd,” said Sutter, who posted the photo online. “You know, like really? But like, with me and my barber crew, we're so far past racism. We know it exists, but we don't pay it no attention because, once you start paying attention to the problem, it's like they won.”

On social media, reactions were endless. Many people condemned his shop for allowing the haircut.

“The thing that's really bothering me is, no matter how it may look to someone and them getting upset about it, this is what we do for a living,” Sutter said. “We provide a service for this person, and that's what we're supposed to do. Yeah, we could have denied it. Yes, we could have acted a fool and talked bad to him, tried to fight him or anything like that. But, he came in, he came in respectful. He wanted it.”

Barber Bo Fields, who is white, stands behind his coworker’s decision.

“I'm proud because, I mean, it's a business, and he knew where to come to get what he wanted, and that's what we do here and we all have families, we all have bills and I support him,” Fields said.

Even customers showed their support.

“We have to be positive about the situation,” said Keith Neals. “We can't throw fuel into the fire, and that's just going to add what's going on to the world today. So, it's a beautiful thing that these guys are doing what they're doing.”

cugi5jjzsffq.gif
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    full-metal-jacket-soap-beating.gif

That Peckerwood Getting The Soap Bar Treatment nh