The Anti-Defamation League Accuses JAY-Z Of Using Negative Stereotypes …

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in The Reason
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/jay-z-slammed-lyrics-perpetuating-anti-semitic-stereotypes-article-1.3308544
(New York Daily News) JAY-Z resorts to using an "odious and false" stereotype about the Jewish community in a song on his latest album, an anti-bigotry organization charged.

The Anti-Defamation League — a non-profit Jewish establishment — lampooned the hip hop mogul over a set of controversial lyrics that they believe perpetuates anti-Semitic generalizations in his new song "The Story of O.J."

In the song, which appears on his new "4:44" album, JAY-Z raps: "You wanna know what's more important than throwin' away money at a strip club? Credit / You ever wonder why Jewish people own all the property in America? This how they did it."

The ADL officially condemned JAY-Z's use of these lyrics on Thursday in a statement, contending that the rapper's generalized wording seems to play "into deep-seated anti-Semitic stereotypes about Jews and money.

"The idea that Jews 'own all the property' in this country and have used credit to financially get ahead are odious and false," a spokesperson for the ADL told the magazine. "Yet, such notions have lingered in society for decades, and we are concerned that this lyric could feed into preconceived notions about Jews and alleged Jewish 'control' of the banks and finance."

The spokesperson continued in the statement to say that the organization does not believe JAY-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, actually intended to promote Anti-Semitic views with the polarizing lyrics, but the league denounced that portion of the song nonetheless.

"We know that JAY-Z is someone who has used his celebrity in the past to speak out responsibly and forcefully against the evils of racism and anti-Semitism," the statement continued.

JAY-Z has not responded to the Anti-Defamation League's comments. A request for comment was not returned by his rep.

JAY-Z touches on a number of highly personal and social topics in his much-talked about new album, including in the song "Smile" where he reveals his mother, Gloria Carter, is a lesbian.

"Mama had four kids, but she's a lesbian / Had to pretend so long that she's a thespian," he raps.

His mother provides a spoken-word outro in the song, in which she says, "Love who you love, because life isn't guaranteed."

JAY-Z also made headlines for appearing to apologize to his wife, Beyoncé, for cheating on her in other parts of the album, as well as for addressing his fallout with longtime friend and collaborator Kanye West in the song "? Jay Z."

"4:44" went platinum less than a week after it premiered exclusively on Tidal.

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao at negative.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uh oh Jay got the jews against him now
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In b4 the obligatory apologies.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a dream that one date they will stereotype black people for owning all the property in the United States and my children's children's will be so used to that stereotype that they will be offended lmao.

its crazy that they would be offended by the comment, but they dont like the notion that people think that they run the world.

i think they believe that the thought process leads to people hating jews.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »
    I have a dream that one date they will stereotype black people for owning all the property in the United States and my children's children's will be so used to that stereotype that they will be offended lmao.

its crazy that they would be offended by the comment, but they dont like the notion that people think that they run the world.

The thing that can be confusing is a small percentage of Jewish people could be filing this but the majority of Jewish people may not be offended and ? with Jay heavy thinking he gave them props. I imagine a 2 or 3 middle age Jewish men filing this ? but every Jewish male under the age of 40 in the tristate is happy jay shouted out their business acumen.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

bingo. that mentality is how ? was able to turn Germany against the jews, basically: "they run it all and it's ? right now, so it's their fault!"

I can see how it can be a negative stereotype
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay spoke the truth, LOL this is well known ... unless the truth now can be labelled "defamation"... ?
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know you're doing something when the Jews are on you.

Hopefully Jay don't fold.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Jay spoke the truth, LOL this is well known ... unless the truth now can be labelled "defamation"... ?
    DarthRozay wrote: »

bingo. that mentality is how ? was able to turn Germany against the jews, basically: "they run it all and it's ? right now, so it's their fault!"

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jewish people do not want their financial business out in the opening.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Jay better tell Jim Jones to smack the yarmulke off these Jews head
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This some ol ? .

Theyre gonna try to milk some $$$ outta him.

N fulfill their own stereotype.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay in a zone now. He don't give a ? anymore. The video for the same song was Pro-Black AF...
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? all those ? .
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ion get how the stereotype that Jewish people own a lot of stuff in America, is a bad thing.

How bout the stereotype that a black man is prone to violence.

How bout the stereotype that black women are loud and obnoxious.

How bout the stereotype that black people are stupid.

How bout the stereotype that black men are absentee fathers.

How bout the stereotype that black people are government leaches.

How bout the stereotype that black people are prone to lying and stealing.

I mean if they wanna trade one of one, I'm all for it.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    Ion get how the stereotype that Jewish people own a lot of stuff in America, is a bad thing.

How bout the stereotype that a black man is prone to violence.

How bout the stereotype that black women are loud and obnoxious.

How bout the stereotype that black people are stupid.

How bout the stereotype that black men are absentee fathers.

How bout the stereotype that black people are government leaches.

How bout the stereotype that black people are prone to lying and stealing.

I mean if they wanna trade one of one, I'm all for it.

DarthRozay wrote: »

we just told you, breh.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody tell these fools all stereotypes aren't negative
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was a compliment...shrugs
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    somebody tell these fools all stereotypes aren't negative
    MD_PROPER wrote: »
    I thought it was a compliment...shrugs

when the ? can be flipped to making you seem like the worst group of people because of the fact that you own ? , its not a compliment.

yall ? reading the responses in this thread or...
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are plenty of stereotypes that seem positive from the outside looking in

but if you're black do you really like people thinking you're good at sports just because you're black?

or if you're asian do you really like people thinking you're good at math/technology just because you're asian?

there's nothing abhorrently disgusting or negative about those racial stereotypes, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who are sick of them