Anyone of ya'll ever been to Costa Rica before?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thinking of going down there for vacation in a couple of weeks. I haven't made a concrete decision yet. Anyone have any good recommendation for a good vacation spot that's safe and cheap?

Comments

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never been, but I'm going in November. They have really good flight deals right now. You may wanna check if its hurricane season or not too.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    bossdon201 wrote: »
    Just got back from Costa Rica 2 weeks ago. Went for a friends bachelor event. Had a great time. Food was good, landscape was beautiful, and the WOMEN... that's a whole another story lol. Felt safe compared to other Central and South American countries Like El Salvador or Colombia. I'd recommend anyone to go especially if you're a single male. We stayed in Jaco which is like a hour and a half from San Jose. Penthouse was right on the beach, a lot of surfers.

Beautiful women. I'm in!
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I lived there for a while when I first joined the ic back in like 06 and go back about once a year.

If you have to spend any time in the San Jose area (try no to waste too much time there) you should stay near Parque Espana and you're close to everywhere you need but not in a ? area. I usually just stay at the Holiday Inn next to the park the first day and get the hell out of the city asap. Heredia is pretty nice though. It's a college town that's about 20 minutes away by taxi or bus.

Arenal area is expensive but it has the Tabacon hot springs which makes it worth it (don't fall for some ? low budget tour where they take you to the free hot springs. Also the white water rafting near there is fun as hell.

Jaco is a dump unless you like fast food, hookers, surfing and decent class a drugs.

Manuel Antonio is nice if you stay at a place called "Arenas del Mar" - the rooms are expensive but the private beach makes it worth it since M.A. is so overcrowded.

Montezuma & Santa Theresa are hard to get to but worth the trip. Once you get there definitely rent an ATV to get around.

@obnoxiouslyfresh change your ticket to September and we can have a tryst. Also you won't get rained on as much.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    i lived there for a while when i first joined the ic back in like 06. i go back about once a year.

@obnoxiouslyfresh change your ticket to september and we can have a tryst. also you won't get rained on as much.

lol Sept is my birthday. Going to Montreal.

You gonna burn up in Costa Rica in september. Yall can have that 90 degrees
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've been a few years back.

Stayed in San Jose

Women were amazing and beautiful.
    Volcano tours were amazing
    Water rafting
    Museums
    Zip-lining in the forest/jungle
    Night Life

It's a good trip to take, enjoyed myself, will be going back at the end of the year or top of the year
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always wanted to go, based on recommendations from friends. It's number one on my list, actually.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Always wanted to go, based on recommendations from friends. It's number one on my list, actually.

@Plutarch You get so much bang for your buck. That's why I'm going to Costa Rica and Phuket this year...so I can BALL OUT!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

@Plutarch You get so much bang for your buck. That's why I'm going to Costa Rica and Phuket this year...so I can BALL OUT!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

@obnoxiouslyfresh Alright, I'm sold. I'm about to save up some money and make future plans now. Montreal? Costa Rica? Phuket? Now, you're just bragging. See, I envy you worldly people.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Phuket is like a 30 hour plus flight. ? all that.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Flew over it once. Nice place.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options
    Damn Phuket is like a 30 hour plus flight. ? all that.

@metal face terrorist It is. It's like 20 hours minimum. :anguished:
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I sent my son with his friends after graduation last year

They loved it. Stayed in this villa thru Air bnb . A 2 story with open living areas 3 bedroom villa with AC .... with a salt water infinity pool. It was about 20-30 min from San Jose. It was under $1000 for 9 nights

They zip lined and went to some kind of water park in the jungle type place. They met a lot of surfers. Apparently where they stayed is a well known surfing beach. So they did a little surfing too

Now he was 18 so everything was great for him . Bars were fun. Said tons of pretty women. Food was good and cheap. He said everything is fresh and tastes great.

They rented a SUV. (get a portable Wifi From the car rental place. ) An SUV is a must if you want to explore ... the roads are dirt and no street lights. At one point a herd of "mountain cows" ..whatever that means lol ... blocked the road and they had to wait for like an hour. A lot of one way in and one way out areas

Bring bug spray. They said the mosquitoes weren't that bad but it depended on where they were. Also the scorpions were huge as there were some little bats that came into the area at night.

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

They loved it. Stayed in this villa thru Air bnb . A 2 story with open living areas 3 bedroom villa with AC .... with a salt water infinity pool. It was about 20-30 min from San Jose. It was under $1000 for 9 nights

They zip lined and went to some kind of water park in the jungle type place. They met a lot of surfers. Apparently where they stayed is a well known surfing beach. So they did a little surfing too

Now he was 18 so everything was great for him . Bars were fun. Said tons of pretty women. Food was good and cheap. He said everything is fresh and tastes great.

They rented a SUV. (get a portable Wifi From the car rental place. ) An SUV is a must if you want to explore ... the roads are dirt and no street lights. At one point a herd of "mountain cows" ..whatever that means lol ... blocked the road and they had to wait for like an hour. A lot of one way in and one way out areas

Bring bug spray. They said the mosquitoes weren't that bad but it depended on where they were. Also the scorpions were huge as there were some little bats that came into the area at night.

@MsSouthern They drive on the same side as us right?
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

Gotta envy us folks with no kids. I literally book a flight sometimes at 10 pm for the next morning. Just try to go where you can stretch you money. I went to London and Amsterdam in May and I came back broke.

PEOPLE WITH KIDS CAN STILL BOOK FLIGHTS !!!!!!! , TRAVEL , AND ENJOY THEIR LIFE LIKE ANY OTHER NORMAL FUNCTIONING NON KID HAVING ADULT !!!!!!

• Plutarch
    Options
    Gotta envy us folks with no kids. I literally book a flight sometimes at 10 pm for the next morning. Just try to go where you can stretch you money. I went to London and Amsterdam in May and I came back broke.

I don't even got kids! I got grad school and work. I'm a make it happen though.
    This is Phuket. Look at this ? . Just look at it. 29 American dollars per night. And this is considered one of their crummier hotels. Where can you get a deal like this?

d2vp8i27f4ba.png

ygcc8pcqaeai.jpg

q6woow19ml1o.jpg

a6qd9g7w8fgi.jpg

23a.gif
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

@MsSouthern They drive on the same side as us right?

I think so

You just need the SUV to drive up the mountains etc. they don't have many paved roads.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I graduate next May and I'm looking for a trip to take before I dive into bar prep. Costa Rica sounds pretty chill. I was also thinking about D.R. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Pattaya, Thailand >Phuket if you're a single guy. Walking Street
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Went a few years back
    Stayed in guanacaste on cocoa beach
    Did horse back riding
    Took Surfing lessons in Tamarindo
    Took a day trip to Granada, Nicaragua
    Took another day trip to the Arenal volcano, did a zipline and those cloud bridges
    Cosign on the SUV
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Costa Rica is cool but if make sure you check for the Adam's apple...Costa Rica has a ton of beautiful women but also a bunch of trannies. Don't be foooled my G.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    i lived there for a while when i first joined the ic back in like 06. i go back about once a year.

@obnoxiouslyfresh change your ticket to september and we can have a tryst. also you won't get rained on as much.

lol Sept is my birthday. Going to Montreal.

You gonna burn up in Costa Rica in september. Yall can have that 90 degrees

September birthday? Same here.

*books ticket to Montreal*
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Thinking of going down there for vacation in a couple of weeks. I haven't made a concrete decision yet. Anyone have any good recommendation for a good vacation spot that's safe and cheap?

Yup. The most naturally beautiful country my eyes ever saw.
    Jaco. Go to Jaco.

Do the ziplining, and then take the tour to go up to the volcanoes. Then ride the horses through the jungle and beachside.
    Avoid the women on the street. Try to hollar at women working in Subway or selling jewelry or maybe inside the club or a hotel.

The People for the most part were cool. WAtch your speed bc the cops will pull you over. They do kmph instead of mph and that ? will confuse you, and the cops will pull you over for going above the speed limit. I had to give them two bottles of rum to get out of a ticket. Before I gave them that they threatened me with jail.

Some taxis have a scheme where when you're coming out of a parking spot at night at a club they will immediately pull behind you and make you hit them. They're in with the cops and will threaten if you don't pay them $200 they'll report it and call the cops, which the cops will be right across the street. If the cops smell any alcohol or give you the breathalyzer you're ? . I had to pay a dude $50 for that ? . Wasn't giving up $200 but it was some BS.

Other than that, it's cool