What is the most single significant song in Jay Z's career?

Options
13»

Comments

• BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    but ? jay z though. he was never the number 1 rapper. it was always someone else.

2 pac, biggie, mase, DMX, Ja rule, Nas, Eminem, 50 cent, kanye, Jeezy, TI, wayne, Drake....

he rode the coat tails of most of those artist to remain hot. and now he seems to be riding Beyonce's wave low key.

this is why Nebraska and Joe dont respect you
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    other
    grYmes wrote: »
    Honestly I didn't think you was serious. Hence why I clicked the troll button. To say Jay ain't ever been a number 1 rapper is just ridiculous. Both in terms of lyrics and popularity. ? swagger jacked but all the rappers you named guilty of that one form or another.

And Mase, really?

Where were you? Mase was selling more than Jay bruh take the ? out ya mouth

I ain't a Jigga dickrider so keep you ? thoughts to yaself. Mace sold and had a good album that year he ain't ever been no ? number 1 rapper.Jay always out ranked him, & DMX was even better. ? outta here.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    but ? jay z though. he was never the number 1 rapper. it was always someone else.

2 pac, biggie, mase, DMX, Ja rule, Nas, Eminem, 50 cent, kanye, Jeezy, TI, wayne, Drake....

he rode the coat tails of most of those artist to remain hot. and now he seems to be riding Beyonce's wave low key.

this is why Nebraska and Joe dont respect you

I'm calling that ? Nebraska from this point on
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other
    Honestly I didn't think you was serious. Hence why I clicked the troll button. To say Jay ain't ever been a number 1 rapper is just ridiculous. Both in terms of lyrics and popularity. ? swagger jacked but all the rappers you named guilty of that one form or another.

And Mase, really?

I ain't a Jigga dickrider so keep you ? thoughts to yaself. Mace sold and had a good album that year he ain't ever been no ? number 1 rapper.Jay always out ranked him, & DMX was even better. ? outta here.

he was def the number one rapper. he rodes big wave and that shiny suit ? was poppin back then. thats when DMX came through. 24 hours to live is GOAT btw. then ruff ryders was on top and started ? with cash money. jay is dope but he was never that guy.

he has the longevity because he rode all those waves.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And Mase, really?

And Mase, really?

Harlem world outsold vol 1 facts
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other
    How did Hard Knock Life not even make the poll, though? Lol
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And Mase, really?

Harlem World is the only album by Mase that sold more than Jay Z at that time"
    Mase other two albums only went gold.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    "Ether was the first song about Jay Z made by another rapper"

Ever heard of 2Pac my dude?

What song did 2Pac make that was about Jay Z?

Pac gave Hov half a bar in the middle of a song aimed at ? .
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Hard Knock Life.

I was young and still remember ber that being played in New Orleans. My mom took me Circuit City so I can buy that album. First time I spent my money on music

Circuit City in the east?

that used to be my place

• trendsetta1030
    Options

And Mase, really?

Double up got no promotion that's when he fled Harlem … don't act like it ain't have bangers besides mase influenced the 2 biggest pop artist/ Kanye , drake
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jk25MT5B6N4
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rVACFAyLKEU
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other

And Mase, really?

Double up got no promotion that's when he fled Harlem … don't act like it ain't have bangers besides mase influenced the 2 biggest pop artist/ Kanye , drake

Double Up was garbage

And both Kanye and Drake would name Jay a bigger influence than Mase

• trendsetta1030
    edited July 2017
    Options

And Mase, really?

Double Up was garbage

But they have flipped mase lines… oh my bad they can't flip jay lines because jay flips bigs…… sorry buddy mase was a bigger influence ? he even influnced big from his raspy grimey flow… to a more mo money no problems smooth laid back flow…
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other
    Yo its Hard knock Life by far and that ? isnt even an option....lol

Album sold like 4 mill in a few months....
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ether (Nas)
    Lol disrespectful option
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Lol disrespectful option

Lol but valid
  • Revolver Ocelot
    edited July 2017
    Options
    other

And Mase, really?

Double Up was garbage

But they have flipped mase lines… oh my bad they can't flip jay lines because jay flips bigs…… sorry buddy mase was a bigger influence ? he even influnced big from his raspy grimey flowto a more mo money no problems smooth laid back flow

So now Mase who so influential, that even Big changed up his flow cuz of him.

tenor.gif

You are genuinely stupid.

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • youngnick
    youngnick Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    other
    How you not include Hard Knock Life? smh this single helped him get his first multi-plat album.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    annie-premiere-4.jpg
    I mean, c'mon...
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other
    In my lifetime is Jay's first single

I thought it was "I Can't Get With That."
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Pimpin
    FlightKing wrote: »
    Hard Knock Life made him the top NY rapper but Big Pimpin took him to a level he hasn't left yet.

Vol.2 sold more than vol.3

@themadlionsfan This isn't about album sales. Vol. 2 was a better album with better singles, including a single off a popular movie soundtrack. Fact is, Big Pimpin ran popular music for about a year - MTV included. I can't take ? away from Hard Knock Life though, it made a major impact but Big Pimpin made him a nationwide, crossover superstar artist.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    other
    Hard Knock Life made him the top NY rapper but Big Pimpin took him to a level he hasn't left yet.

@themadlionsfan This isn't about album sales. Vol. 2 was a better album with better singles, including a single off a popular movie soundtrack. Fact is, Big Pimpin ran popular music for about a year - MTV included. I can't take ? away from Hard Knock Life though, it made a major impact but Big Pimpin made him a nationwide, crossover superstar artist.

Think y'all confusing Jay for UGK.

Big Pimpin was a huge record as were a lot Jay records AFETR Hard Knock Life.

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    other

No it didn't....nobody gave a ? about Big Pumping outside of the South

vol.3 was already double platinum from The the release of Do it again.

Big Pimpin is overrated by southern hip hop fans who try to ? on legacy by trying to attach jay' s relevance to UGK which is ? revisionist history....

Hard Knock Life sold 5 Mill and The tour was sold out all over the country including the South

I've never heard anybody outside internet southern hip hop fans talk about Big Pimpin

I wish you ? would cut this ? out...
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dead Presidents
    wow I'm really surprised that"Dead Presidents" didn't get more votes

that was his song that gave him his own lane.........he had everybody in the original video too.......if u go back in his catalog, it would have been easy for him to basically get ignored because there was so much great rap music out in that time

Dead Presidents is distinctly his own sound even tho he used a Nas line as a hook

Hard Knock Life was more so about the Annie beat being used vs relying on Jay's talent......the beat was a crutch even tho the song is a classic.......