MTV 2 Award
USA's Character Approved Award

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    giphy.gif

3 arguable classics (FnL, Cool, Tetsuo)
    3 okay-ehh albums (Lasers, FnL2, Drogas Lite)
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread series has........

Potential
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we really gonna do this again!?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never would know who he was outside of the reason

that's crazy being that he has sold alot of records

but plenty of people never heard of him
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    This thread series has........

Potential

aexkt96zcp4l.gif
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a big Lupe fan, I hafta say...

? no, that ? ain't live up to his potential. Lupe had the ability to be where Kendrick is, imo. But he's gotten in his own way majority of the time. Add that to his arrogance, his bitchiness, and his moments of faux-intellectual antics, and it's been a rollercoaster ride his entire career, as opposed to a smooth ride to the top, followed by a smooth ride into the sunset.

? might be one of the most talented wordsmiths I've ever listened to, if not thee most talented, yet he consistently finds ways to ? himself up. It's irritating as ? .

If a 1 isn't living up to expectations at all, and a 5 is meeting them, or even surpassing them, that ? gets a 3.

Not much I've heard has lived up to Theme Music To A Drive-By, Twilight Zone, or Failure, as far as lyrical dexterity and "wow factor" are concerned. Plus, the ? gave us rap's first epic poem, which spanned two albums and like 10 songs. That type of ? is unparalleled.

T&Y is damn good, but he still hasn't been able to hit the mark of F&L or The Cool.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    never would know who he was outside of the reason

that's crazy being that he has sold alot of records

but plenty of people never heard of him

Unfortunately, this is true. Don't know how to answer this. He had the world in his palm with the first 2 albums then......v^v^v maybe he didn't like/couldn't handle the spot light.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is wrong with Lupe's hair? Why did he think it was OK to leave his house looking like that? So many questions; but not enough answers!
    Please don't bother answering those questions.......I'm just going to pray for Lupe!
    ttpb4u62lnwl.jpg
  • *~queenbee~*
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    As a big Lupe fan, I hafta say...

? no, that ? ain't live up to his potential. Lupe had the ability to be where Kendrick is, imo. But he's gotten in his own way majority of the time. Add that to his arrogance, his bitchiness, and his moments of faux-intellectual antics, and it's been a rollercoaster ride his entire career, as opposed to a smooth ride to the top, followed by a smooth ride into the sunset.

? might be one of the most talented wordsmiths I've ever listened to, if not thee most talented, yet he consistently finds ways to ? himself up. It's irritating as ? .

If a 1 isn't living up to expectations at all, and a 5 is meeting them, or even surpassing them, that ? gets a 3.

Not much I've heard has lived up to Theme Music To A Drive-By, Twilight Zone, or Failure, as far as lyrical dexterity and "wow factor" are concerned. Plus, the ? gave us rap's first epic poem, which spanned two albums and like 10 songs. That type of ? is unparalleled.

T&Y is damn good, but he still hasn't been able to hit the mark of F&L or The Cool.

Go off, @Like Water ? ! Tell these people why you mad, daughter!
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hes done just fine for himself

Is mad overrated among his ? fans tho

They act like he walks on water
  • *~queenbee~*
    Options
    In all seriousness though, I believe that Lupe lived up to his potential. Despite his reputation on here, I can't deny that he's a lyrical beast! I think the issue with him on a professional level, has more to do with record label executives. I remember hearing about him complaining about them not allowing him to express himself creatively. That could be a reason why he only has two classic albums out of his whole catalogue.
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ppl forgot how big Lupe's buzz was when F&L came out he could've been where Kendrick and Cole are now in terms of having an audience and for whatever reason it all came apart around the time Lasers came out

dude was supposed to be the next Nas ......smh

and instead of being the GOAT he's just another great above average rapper who had his moment

(Talib, Monch, Phonte etc etc)
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope

But still top tier.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3 personal classics can put up a case they should be considered classics 3 meh albums, label drama really has a lot to blame
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe has no classics

But he does have 2 very good albums (F&L and The Cool)

...in before this post is buried from stan reactions
  • Like Water
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Lupe has no classics

But he does have 2 very good albums (F&L and The Cool)

...in before this post is buried from stan reactions

Looks like "Stans" are more reasonable than you thought. Most people have his 3 best albums as "personal" classics. They didn't shift the genre, or make a super impact, so to say they're classic, like a GRODT or a Death Certificate, is far-fetched.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know but he dropped 2 really great albums, 2 more really good albums and one of my favorite mixtape series ever. I'm satisfied.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img][/img]GettyImages-483734283_jknl30.jpg

ajhahahhhahah you aint hafta play homie like that with that pic. that was for a fashion show.

but to answer the question, definitely not.

he could have been the guy but frankly put, he never wanted to be the guy. he hated the business...which in turn interfered with his art.

as someone else said, his habit of getting in the way of himself prevented him from the accolades that should match his lyrical ability. he has 2 classics and his catalog is comprised of some of the most creative rhymes i've ever heard.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well you could tell from his image and ability he wasn't going to appeal to the masses due to content and being overly lyrical.

Food & Liquor is critically acclaimed but he rubbed folks the wrong way with American Terrorist.

Folks where cool, Lupe was still well liked and actually sold more records than he should have. Then he dissed Obama...and everybody hates Lupe.

If you were following his career you would have seen it coming.

Folks have been overly critical and jeering at him ever since.

All in all I think he did. Lyricism like his isn't appreciated by the masses and he doesn't club "bangers." He's been around longer than I thought he would be if I'm being honest.

• power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You people do know that most artist work doesn't get recognized as classic until they are dead. I always thought critically acclaimed equal classic. By your logic the first mumble rapper who put out the first mumble rap album made a classic because it shifted the genre and made an impact on how people make rap music. By that logic Drake and Kid Cudi first albums are classic, because rappers sing more than ever. Which is impact and genre shifting. Migos first album has to be a classic too. Wrong. Impact is made by the artist not his albums. 50 cent change the genre with his mixtapes not his album. Migos change the way people rap with their mixtapes not their albums. Kendrick GKMC was a classic. It didn't change how people make music. It was loved, but the music is going in the opposite direction of what he is doing. But to answer the question, no Lupe had not. He has 3 classics, but people expect more out of the great ones. Once you show your brilliance, that's what people going to expected all the time. Which is not fair but that's how it is.
  • Like Water
    Options
    You people do know that most artist work doesn't get recognized as classic until they are dead. I always thought critically acclaimed equal classic. By your logic the first mumble rapper who put out the first mumble rap album made a classic because it shifted the genre and made an impact on how people make rap music. By that logic Drake and Kid Cudi first albums are classic, because rappers sing more than ever. Which is impact and genre shifting. Migos first album has to be a classic too. Wrong. Impact is made by the artist not his albums. 50 cent change the genre with his mixtapes not his album. Migos change the way people rap with their mixtapes not their albums. Kendrick GKMC was a classic. It didn't change how people make music. It was loved, but the music is going in the opposite direction of what he is doing. But to answer the question, no Lupe had not. He has 3 classics, but people expect more out of the great ones. Once you show your brilliance, that's what people going to expected all the time. Which is not fair but that's how it is.

This post is a whole bunch of "wtf are you talking about?" ? that understand context know wtf I'm talking about. I don't have the desire or energy to make much more of a response.
  • *~queenbee~*
    Options
    I typed a bunch of incoherent mess that didn't make any sense!

@power_wisdom ? , you better teach these people a little something about the game!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    giphy.gif

3 arguable classics (FnL, Cool, Tetsuo)
    3 okay-ehh albums (Lasers, FnL2, Drogas Lite)

• THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HELL NAH...
    DUDE IS THE EPITOME OF AN UNDERACHIEVER...

HIS DEBUT IS UNLISTENABLE IMO...
    GREAT MUSIC, BUT HIS ? ASTHMA ? EVERYTHING UP...

TRUTH BE TOLD, IDGAF ABOUT THE COOL OUTSIDE OF DUMB IT DOWN...
    ? WAS BLOATED W/ FILLER...

LASERS WAS WACK...HE BLAMES THE LABEL...
    MAKES GREAT AMERICAN BASH WITH CREATIVE CONTROL...
    ANOTHER WACK ALBUM LITTERED W/ OLD MAN FREEDOM RAPS...

T&Y IS REALLY GOOD...

DROGAS LIGHT...
    DUDE MAKES HIS 1ST INDIE ALBUM...AND ITS WACK...
    AND YET HE STILL FINDS A WAY TO SPIRITUALLY BLAME ATLANTIC...

? THIS CLOWN...
    HE DESERVES MORE TOMATOES @ THE SHOW...

• Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    HELL NAH...
    DUDE IS THE EPITOME OF AN UNDERACHIEVER...

HIS DEBUT IS UNLISTENABLE IMO...
    GREAT MUSIC, BUT HIS ? ASTHMA ? EVERYTHING UP...

TRUTH BE TOLD, IDGAF ABOUT THE COOL OUTSIDE OF DUMB IT DOWN...
    ? WAS BLOATED W/ FILLER...

Stahp it.......

But on subject. Lupe was the natural progression of the 90s as Nas was the natural progression of the 80s. He's still the best lyricist my ears have ever heard. At the same time, there was still another stratosphere he could have reached.

At one point, I think 1 too many ? told dude he was smart. He's done a lot on the lyrics side, and has endless quatables and highlights, but he left some meat on the bone album wise. Fahrenheit is one of the better mixtape series out there.