? 's Son vs Get Rich Or Die Trying

Options

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Always loved Gods Son

Skipped school, smoked a blunt and walked to the mall to cop from Sam Goody the day it dropped.

Hopped on the bus and just rode around town listening to it on my Walkman on repeat
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Is ? 's son turning into the next it was written....where it didn't have an impact yet years later ppl are pretending it's a classic album?

When the last time and what album had impact in the the world or even hip hop community ?

GRODT
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    This is revisionist history in its finest form ain't no way anywhere but the IC has ? 's Son be talked about as a classic album.... ? in here will really try and have you believing Nas got like 5-6 classic albums

Its about the better album not how many teeny bopers bought a cd
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Stillmatic the first Nas album I listened to. ? 's Son was a disappointment outside of "I Can" & "Made You Look".

How is that possible u aint listen to illmatic

I said it was the first Nas album I listened to. That doesn't mean I haven't heard other albums.
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    766tnhomnv6p.jpg

:# :# :# :# :#
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Stew wrote: »
    Is ? 's son turning into the next it was written....where it didn't have an impact yet years later ppl are pretending it's a classic album?

When the last time and what album had impact in the the world or even hip hop community ?

GRODT

How did that album change hip-hop? Was it the album or 50Cent with his story about getting shot and his mixtape that change hip-hop?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    Just Wangsta alone was a damn huge street song that crossed over. I personally like Made you Look and Get down better than anything on GRODT, but top to bottom GRODT got more heat than ? Son. Got street ? , radio ? like 21 questions and P.I.M.P, club banger like in the Club. What club joint Nas got on ? son? I love Nas album too but it's this one in particular just ain't beating Fifs, go get Still mat or illmat
  • blackgod813
    Options
    ? 's Son
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Stillmatic the first Nas album I listened to. ? 's Son was a disappointment outside of "I Can" & "Made You Look".

How is that possible u aint listen to illmatic

He was 13 in 2003

? I was 17 in 2003. You got ? by some grown men as a adult and you weren't in jail.

?

Thats tomuch sauce lol i ment when u was young if u under 35 that ? was when u was young for instance i can only listen to that big ? in small bits so i heard it enough to kno i dont wana
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    This thread serves as proof that ? 's Son should be in The Vault

rw64754kbxy2.gif

It's no classic just a good album
  • blackgod813
    Options
    ? 's Son
    I just re listend to grodt that ? was talkin real mother ? gangsta whole ? gang gang..
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying

Tpab......4:44 seemed to create a wave...lets see how long it lasts or if it just comes and goes
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying

GRODT

How did that album change hip-hop? Was it the album or 50Cent with his story about getting shot and his mixtape that change hip-hop?

What did ? son's change in hip hop??? That album came and went and anybody that say it didn't is probably too young to remember
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Looks like grodt won. Now the nastralites are probably like put up it with illmatic and let's see who'll win lol.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    Looks like grodt won. Now the nastralites are probably like put up it with illmatic and let's see who'll win lol.

Yeah because of aliases.

If the mods blocked aliases ? 's Son would have won by a landslide.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying

Yeah because of aliases.

You probably got a point with all these "fake" accounts
    But cmon man, don't act like GRoDT is some random ass ? album.
    It was/is considered a classic by many people/magazines/sites
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    As much as I respect Nas, GRODT made everything stop. And it changed NY rap. That album started an empire in G-Unit, gave 5-0 the crown, and made Interscope the most powerful label in hip-hop.

Sucks that it also started the chain of events that would push East Coast into the abyss. Once Curtis got some stroke in the game, he totally ? the game up with all his beefs.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Weazel wrote: »

Yeah because of aliases.

You probably got a point with all these "fake" accounts
    But cmon man, don't act like GRoDT is some random ass ? album.
    It was/is considered a classic by many people/magazines/sites

@ the bolded. I'm not saying that it was a bad album, I'm saying that Nas's frame of mind was closer to my frame of mind when both albums were released. Songs like Thug Mansionz, Dance, Heaven reached a level of emotion and/or mood that 50 didn't capture.

50 was talking about being a gangsta while Nas was talking about his mother's death.

Truthfully, I'm sick of gangsta rap so I never really got into the G-Unit hype. Don't get me wrong 50 has some songs I like and I liked Beg For Mercey, but I think if 50 wasn't shot 9X and cosigned by Eminem and Dre, GRODT would have just been another album that went platinum.

And just for the record, I've been saying that "Nas dropped three 5 mic classics in the span of 12 months" ever since he did it. Stillmatic, Lost Tapes and ? 's Son were all released within a 12 month span.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    Went with GRODT.....

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Well this thread brought it up on the playlist again...

The GOAT MC...

• power_wisdom
    Options
    ? 's Son
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Just Wangsta alone was a damn huge street song that crossed over. I personally like Made you Look and Get down better than anything on GRODT, but top to bottom GRODT got more heat than ? Son. Got street ? , radio ? like 21 questions and P.I.M.P, club banger like in the Club. What club joint Nas got on ? son? I love Nas album too but it's this one in particular just ain't beating Fifs, go get Still mat or illmat
    GetoBoy wrote: »

GRODT

What did ? son's change in hip hop??? That album came and went and anybody that say it didn't is probably too young to remember

That's the point. In this day of age hip-hop albums rarely make a true impact on the genre. Because we get to know the artist well before the album. And the stuff that's making a impact isn't good for hip-hop. Like mumble rap, and singing all in your rap. So how can impact be what determines what a classic is.

This is the definition of a classic: A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style; something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality; of the first or highest quality, class, or rank[1] – something that exemplifies its class. The word can be an adjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature, design, technology, or other cultural artifacts. In commerce, products are named 'classic' to denote a long-standing popular version or model, to distinguish it from a newer variety. Classic is used to describe many major, long-standing sporting events. Colloquially, an everyday occurrence (e.g. a joke or mishap) may be described in some dialects of English as 'an absolute classic'.
  • power_wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Things like the first skits and intro and outro on a album
    That impacted hip-hop. Or the first conscience rhyme. Or the first story told. That was impact. Or Common I used to love her. That impacted the culture, because other artist tried to duplicated it.

impact
    [noun im-pakt; verb im-pakt]
    noun
    the striking of one thing against another; forceful contact; collision:
    The impact of the colliding cars broke the windshield.
    an impinging:
    the impact of light on the eye.
    SEE CONTINUED DEFINITION

Definition of impact (continued)
    influence; effect:
    the impact of Einstein on modern physics.
    an impacting; forcible impinging:
    the tremendous impact of the shot.
    the force exerted by a new idea, concept, technology, or ideology:

No where does it say that impact means or having anything to do with being a classic. By your logic Drake and Kid Cudi made classics on their first album. Or the Migos first album was a classic. Or the first Mumble rapper to put out a album made a classic. Because these were new ideas that made an impact on how music sound today.

Impact doesn't necessarily equal classic.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

GRODT

Nobody said anything about "changing Hip Hop".
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    I was hyped off the Nas saying it was classic the 1st day then after a week....I realized it was just a good album...Nas is my fav artist....but 50 GRODT was so raw to be a mainstream album....Top 10 album no doubt
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    ? 's Son
    The way I remember it, The Nas vs Jay beef was still going strong. People were still debating Takeover vs Ether. For the first time, when you asked, "who is your favorite rapper of all time?" people were saying either Nas or Jay. Prior to the beef if you asked the same question you might get KRS, Rakim, Snoop, 2Pac or Big. But after the beef both MCs (Jay and Nas) got propelled to another tier. They were the best rappers alive. They had a classic battle and then continued to make records, unlike Pac and Big who died in the middle of a beef that never got settled.

Anybody who was into Hip Hop at the time was more interested in what Nas's next record was going to sound like than what Eminem, 50 Cent and Dre were doing. I'm talking about my generation, the people that copped Illmatic when it first came out. The people who heard Illmatic before It Was Written. I'm talking about the people that remembered THE HYPE LEADING UP TO ILLMATIC. We heard Stillmatic and Lost Tapes and we were anxious to hear what Nas was going to do next. 50 Cent was an afterthought.