Options
    ? 's Son
    bck145 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The way I remember it, The Nas vs Jay beef was still going strong. People were still debating Takeover vs Ether. For the first time, when you asked, "who is your favorite rapper of all time?" people were saying either Nas or Jay. Prior to the beef if you asked the same question you might get KRS, Rakim, Snoop, 2Pac or Big. But after the beef both MCs (Jay and Nas) got propelled to another tier. They were the best rappers alive. They had a classic battle and then continued to make records, unlike Pac and Big who died in the middle of a beef that never got settled.

Anybody who was into Hip Hop at the time was more interested in what Nas's next record was going to sound like than what Eminem, 50 Cent and Dre were doing. I'm talking about my generation, the people that copped Illmatic when it first came out. The people who heard Illmatic before It Was Written. I'm talking about the people that remembered THE HYPE LEADING UP TO ILLMATIC. We heard Stillmatic and Lost Tapes and we were anxious to hear what Nas was going to do next. 50 Cent was an afterthought.

? 's son came out 2 months before GRODT....and people were super excited to see what 50 could do on that album....you are not remembering that time very well...50 was running hip hop, he had the mixtapes and the album that everyone was anticipating....when that album leaked on the internet I remember ppl sitting in their crib downloading it as soon as they got word

Sure ppl wanted to hear what nas had to say after stillmatic but it was a blip on the radar compared to 50's album

Maybe your demographic/generation but I was about 29 years old when ? 's Son and GRODT came out. The difference is that I remembered Nas from Illmatic. I was around 20 when Illmatic dropped. I was 12 when Raising Hell came out. I remember going to Strawberries to cop it on the first day it came out. What I'm trying to say is that I've seen many albums that had hype equal to GRODT. People in their late 20s/early 30s didn't care about 50 Cent or his hype any more than people in their late 20s/early 30s care about Drake and his hype now. Older people were more curious what Nas had to say.
    Stew wrote: »
    Is ? 's son turning into the next it was written....where it didn't have an impact yet years later ppl are pretending it's a classic album?

When the last time and what album had impact in the the world or even hip hop community ?

GRODT

How did that album change hip-hop? Was it the album or 50Cent with his story about getting shot and his mixtape that change hip-hop?

Nobody said anything about "changing Hip Hop".

People are claiming on this thread a classic has to have impact. Impact is to have a effect. To effect something is to alter or change something.

No album "changed" Hip Hop other than maybe Straight Outta Compton. Theres always different sub-genres of the culture. It definitely impacted it cause once it came out all the rap duets(Ja Rule style) stopped happening and brought back "street" music that it was lacking since DMX, at least until he started doing it himself.

Nosign

I can name 10 albums that "changed" Hip Hop from the 80s but you wouldn't remember.

Your in the minority on that one....i know a ton of late 20's and early 30's ppl really anticipating grodt.....you couldn't go anywhere that winter or spring without hearing the album

? 's son is a good album...but that album and blueprint 2 both got swept under the rug in anticipation to 50's release

I agree that I'm in the minority. But amongst my circle of friends, we were really anticipating both albums.

The difference is people that heard Illmatic before It Was Written vs people that heard It Was Written first. I'm the former. I liked Nas's style better on Illmatic. It Was Written was a letdown imo.

Anyway, there's a demographic of people that heard Illmatic first. People who were into Gang Starr, Boot Camp Click, Wu Tang and DITC. The other demographic are people that were bumping 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Bone Thugs, Coolio, Warren G, etc. basically the more commercial sounding rap.

If your in the minority and know you are then why are you trying to tell me that gods son was more anticipated than 50 at that time.....your circle may have been but say that from the start

OK, well GRODT had more hype but ? 's Son is better imo.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    The way I remember it, The Nas vs Jay beef was still going strong. People were still debating Takeover vs Ether. For the first time, when you asked, "who is your favorite rapper of all time?" people were saying either Nas or Jay. Prior to the beef if you asked the same question you might get KRS, Rakim, Snoop, 2Pac or Big. But after the beef both MCs (Jay and Nas) got propelled to another tier. They were the best rappers alive. They had a classic battle and then continued to make records, unlike Pac and Big who died in the middle of a beef that never got settled.

Anybody who was into Hip Hop at the time was more interested in what Nas's next record was going to sound like than what Eminem, 50 Cent and Dre were doing. I'm talking about my generation, the people that copped Illmatic when it first came out. The people who heard Illmatic before It Was Written. I'm talking about the people that remembered THE HYPE LEADING UP TO ILLMATIC. We heard Stillmatic and Lost Tapes and we were anxious to hear what Nas was going to do next. 50 Cent was an afterthought.

? 's son came out 2 months before GRODT....and people were super excited to see what 50 could do on that album....you are not remembering that time very well...50 was running hip hop, he had the mixtapes and the album that everyone was anticipating....when that album leaked on the internet I remember ppl sitting in their crib downloading it as soon as they got word

Sure ppl wanted to hear what nas had to say after stillmatic but it was a blip on the radar compared to 50's album

Maybe your demographic/generation but I was about 29 years old when ? 's Son and GRODT came out. The difference is that I remembered Nas from Illmatic. I was around 20 when Illmatic dropped. I was 12 when Raising Hell came out. I remember going to Strawberries to cop it on the first day it came out. What I'm trying to say is that I've seen many albums that had hype equal to GRODT. People in their late 20s/early 30s didn't care about 50 Cent or his hype any more than people in their late 20s/early 30s care about Drake and his hype now. Older people were more curious what Nas had to say.
    Is ? 's son turning into the next it was written....where it didn't have an impact yet years later ppl are pretending it's a classic album?

When the last time and what album had impact in the the world or even hip hop community ?

GRODT

How did that album change hip-hop? Was it the album or 50Cent with his story about getting shot and his mixtape that change hip-hop?

People are claiming on this thread a classic has to have impact. Impact is to have a effect. To effect something is to alter or change something.

No album "changed" Hip Hop other than maybe Straight Outta Compton. Theres always different sub-genres of the culture. It definitely impacted it cause once it came out all the rap duets(Ja Rule style) stopped happening and brought back "street" music that it was lacking since DMX, at least until he started doing it himself.

Nosign

I can name 10 albums that "changed" Hip Hop from the 80s but you wouldn't remember.

Your in the minority on that one....i know a ton of late 20's and early 30's ppl really anticipating grodt.....you couldn't go anywhere that winter or spring without hearing the album

? 's son is a good album...but that album and blueprint 2 both got swept under the rug in anticipation to 50's release

I agree that I'm in the minority. But amongst my circle of friends, we were really anticipating both albums.

The difference is people that heard Illmatic before It Was Written vs people that heard It Was Written first. I'm the former. I liked Nas's style better on Illmatic. It Was Written was a letdown imo.

Anyway, there's a demographic of people that heard Illmatic first. People who were into Gang Starr, Boot Camp Click, Wu Tang and DITC. The other demographic are people that were bumping 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Bone Thugs, Coolio, Warren G, etc. basically the more commercial sounding rap.

If your in the minority and know you are then why are you trying to tell me that gods son was more anticipated than 50 at that time.....your circle may have been but say that from the start

OK, well GRODT had more hype but ? 's Son is better imo.

Iww or gods son?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son

GRODT

And X came out in 98 and fell off about 02. (Really 03. Grand Camp went 4 Platinum) 50 dropped in 03. Between then we had Mobb deep, Lox, Ghostface, Big Pun, Fat Joe, Nas and Jay-z make big street records. Hip-hop was still street. 50 didn't bring back nothing. The only ? doing Rap and ? was JaRule.

So how did he sell so many records?

He was cosigned by Em and Dre.

Without Em and Dre GRODT would be 1X Plat

So this means everybody associated with Em and Dre goes almost diamond right? Try again.

Strawman argument.

But you can't tell me that Eminem's first album would have sold 283,000 copies in its opening week if it wasn't for Dr Dre. The SSLP album went 4X Plat. Without the Dre connection SSLP wouldn't have even gone gold. It would have sold the same as Infinite.

GRODT

And X came out in 98 and fell off about 02. (Really 03. Grand Camp went 4 Platinum) 50 dropped in 03. Between then we had Mobb deep, Lox, Ghostface, Big Pun, Fat Joe, Nas and Jay-z make big street records. Hip-hop was still street. 50 didn't bring back nothing. The only ? doing Rap and ? was JaRule.

So this means everybody associated with Em and Dre goes almost diamond right? Try again. Ask Stat Quo how that went

Did Stat Quo put out a album with Aftermath? Just about every artist who put out a project on Aftermath went Platinum.

? both of yall told me he sold that much cause of Em and Dre. Who else affiliated with Shady/Aftermath did those kinda numbers? D12? Game? Obie? They all had albums full of Em and Dre appearances and had the "Machine" behind them just like 50 did.

Game sold a ? load of records on Aftermath . D12 went Platinum too. 50 had a lot a hype from How to rob a rapper. But his first two albums, Power of a dollar and Guess whos back didn't go diamond.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options

GRODT

So this means everybody associated with Em and Dre goes almost diamond right? Try again.

Strawman argument.

But you can't tell me that Eminem's first album would have sold 283,000 copies in its opening week if it wasn't for Dr Dre. The SSLP album went 4X Plat. Without the Dre connection SSLP wouldn't have even gone gold. It would have sold the same as Infinite.

GRODT

So this means everybody associated with Em and Dre goes almost diamond right? Try again. Ask Stat Quo how that went

Did Stat Quo put out a album with Aftermath? Just about every artist who put out a project on Aftermath went Platinum.

? both of yall told me he sold that much cause of Em and Dre. Who else affiliated with Shady/Aftermath did those kinda numbers? D12? Game? Obie? They all had albums full of Em and Dre appearances and had the "Machine" behind them just like 50 did.

Lets be honest. Do you think GRODT would have sold as much without Dre and Eminem?

No, that's not the question here. Them other ? Em and Dre put out didn't sniff 8 mill. Even Ems own group with him in it, didn't do that much. Why?
  • bck145
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    Let's not pretend like 50 didn't have a huge buzz before he signed to shady....shady might have made it bigger but he was on his way already
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    I don't got a problem with ppl liking ? 's Son but I'll be damn if ? really think it's a classic y'all not finna make me buy Nas got like 6 classics
    Illmatic
    It was written
    Stillmatic
    Lost tapes
    Life is Good
    And now ? 's Son
    What's next y'all finna start tryna push untitled to classic??? It's a good album but now nor ever has that album been considered a classic
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    ? 's Son
    The truth hurts don't it ? .
  • GetoBoy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    The truth hurts don't it ? .

Ain't nothing about that truth outside of the IC lol
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    When GRODT came out it shut everything down and 50 was runnin ? , made g unit blow up n everything. As far as hype, casting a wider audience, 50 won that by a landslide. I loved that album and bought it twice bc i broke the first on accident.

That was then tho.

Today, Last Real N Alive is one of my fav hip hop songs of all time...nothin on GRODT ? that list, nor do i listen to any of it anymore.

GRODT didnt age well for me personally, like a lot of Em's music, while some of the ? on gods son is timeless.

So PERSONALLY GS>GRODT
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Y'all are underestimating the impact made you look made when it first dropped, Nas shut ? down for a moment in time as well, I'm not going to compare the impact both albums made but Gods son wasn't just a blip on the radar, that was Nas' first album after taking the game back and he made a statement with that album, in the end all that really matters is what album is better musically and stood the test of time and that's gods son, you shouldn't be voting for GRODT just because he was able to get all of white america to buy his ? , if it wasn't for Nas 50 wouldn't have been in that position in the first place
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Y'all are underestimating the impact made you look made when it first dropped, Nas shut ? down for a moment in time as well, I'm not going to compare the impact both albums made but Gods son wasn't just a blip on the radar, that was Nas' first album after taking the game back and he made a statement with that album, in the end all that really matters is what album is better musically and stood the test of time and that's gods son, you shouldn't be voting for GRODT just because he was able to get all of white america to buy his ? , if it wasn't for Nas 50 wouldn't have been in that position in the first place

"If it wasn't for Rakim, Nas wouldn't be in that position anyway" wackest argument of all time.
  • GetoBoy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    Now we giving Nas the credit for 50??? Y'all a trip lololololol
  • bck145
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying

So don't rate an album on impact.....but discredit 50 because nas had an impact on him?

People really need to start thinking before they hit post
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    ? 's Son
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Now we giving Nas the credit for 50??? Y'all a trip lololololol

I think he is talking about Nas being the only one to help 50 when he got blackballed. "50 cent the future" was a line from Nas. 50 was almost Braveheart at one time.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Always loved Gods Son

Skipped school, smoked a blunt and walked to the mall to cop from Sam Goody the day it dropped.

Hopped on the bus and just rode around town listening to it on my Walkman on repeat

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get Rich Or Die Trying
    The problem with yall nation of naslam stans is you are discrediting the impact and reach of GRODT. Part of what makes a better album is for the music to relate to a larger demographic and impact a larger part of the country to buy the album and rock with it.

GRODT had a better plot than Gods Son. It had club bangers and it had street anthems. However the versatility and reach of the album is a large reason of why the album was better. Gods Son was a good album. But GRODT was easily a better album than Gods Son.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    But GRODT was easily a better album than Gods Son.

Your opinion ? ...

I banged GRODT heavy when it dropped. Today? Nah. The music on there didn't age well for me.

Like I stated previously this thread made me dig out ? 's Son out again.. the album deep. .
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son
    Who cares about hype and impact?

The question is which album sounds better? Which album would you rather listen to?

Which album has better songs?
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    But GRODT was easily a better album than Gods Son.

Your opinion ? ...

I banged GRODT heavy when it dropped. Today? Nah. The music on there didn't age well for me.

Like I stated previously this thread made me dig out ? 's Son out again.. the album deep. .
    This how I looked at the thread, which album could get play right now aka which age stood the test of time.

I'd personally listen to DOCumentary over GRODT because Game ? sounds better today than 50's. At the time tho, GRODT was miles ahead of DOCumentary.

Doesn't take away from the fact when GRODT dropped it was a game changer. Just sounds meh to me now
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    ? 's Son
    The problem with yall nation of naslam stans is you are discrediting the impact and reach of GRODT. Part of what makes a better album is for the music to relate to a larger demographic and impact a larger part of the country to buy the album and rock with it.

GRODT had a better plot than Gods Son. It had club bangers and it had street anthems. However the versatility and reach of the album is a large reason of why the album was better. Gods Son was a good album. But GRODT was easily a better album than Gods Son.

So by your logic an underground album can't be better because it won't have the reach to the different demographics? So GRODT was better than Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt and Ready to Die because it reach more people, sold more so it had a bigger impact? ? out of here with that ? . So Hammer first album was better than dead prez first album because it had more of an impact and had club hits? ....................okayyyyyyy.

And GS was more versatile thad GRODT. What are you talking about. He had street bangers, club bangers, songs for the ladies, a song for the children, conscious songs, introspective personal songs.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ? 's Son
    CULTURAL IMPACT & BLOCKBUSTER SALES...
    THAT FLY ? IS COOL & ALL...
    BUT IF WE WERE USING THAT CRITERIA AS A SCALE, THIS WOULD BE A LANDSLIDE...

THE DECISION MADE SHOULD BE BASED ON THE MUSIC OR PREFERENCE...
    GRODT IS INCREDIBLE, BUT I LISTEN TO ? 'S SON MORE IN 2017...
    GET DOWN, MADE U LOOK, LAST REAL... ARE ALL CLASSICS IN THEIR OWN RIGHT...

PLUS...WHEN ? SAY NAS HAS A ? BEAT SELECTION...
    I POINT THEM TO THIS ALBUM TO PROVE THEM WRONG...
  • 5 Grand
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ? 's Son
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    CULTURAL IMPACT & BLOCKBUSTER SALES...
    THAT FLY ? IS COOL & ALL...
    BUT IF WE WERE USING THAT CRITERIA AS A SCALE, THIS WOULD BE A LANDSLIDE...

THE DECISION MADE SHOULD BE BASED ON THE MUSIC OR PREFERENCE...
    GRODT IS INCREDIBLE, BUT I LISTEN TO ? 'S SON MORE IN 2017...
    GET DOWN, MADE U LOOK, LAST REAL... ARE ALL CLASSICS IN THEIR OWN RIGHT...

PLUS...WHEN ? SAY NAS HAS A ? BEAT SELECTION...
    I POINT THEM TO THIS ALBUM TO PROVE THEM WRONG...

Cosign @ the bolded.

When I was in high school Eric B and Rakim released an album the same year as MC Hammer.

Eric B and Rakim's album was called Let The rhythm Hit Em, MC Hammer's album was Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em. Both albums were released in 1990.

If we're judging albums by cultural impact and sales then MC Hammer's album was better than Eric B and Rakim's.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 's Son

"If it wasn't for Rakim, Nas wouldn't be in that position anyway" wackest argument of all time.

About as wack as judging an album off of buzz and album sales