Hip-Hop/R&B Is The Dominant Genre In The U.S. For The First Time

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited July 2017 in The Reason
While it is no longer surprising to state that streaming, in general, is altering the music business, certain kinds of music now have power like never before because of this new model.

Nielsen Music recently released its annual mid-year report, which takes a look at how the music industry is doing halfway through the year and lists which songs and albums are performing the best. This time around, the report revealed some fairly unsurprising stats, including the fact that streaming is still exploding, Ed Sheeran’s “Shape Of You” is the most popular track and Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN. is the album that the American public simply can’t get enough of. All of those could have been predicted, but there is one standout piece of information embedded in the document that is somewhat shocking.

For the first time since Nielsen started measuring music consumption in the United States, rock is no longer the top genre in terms of overall consumption. Instead, the combined genre of R&B and hip-hop has taken the crown, and while the two styles are fairly close to one another when it comes to percentages, the latter has pulled ahead, and it seems like it will continue to distance itself from the competition in the coming months and years.

According to the report, R&B and hip-hop are now responsible for 25.1% of all music consumption in the U.S., while rock claims 23%. Looking at the rest of the numbers listed that dissect how people are consuming these styles of music, it’s clear that streaming is to thank for the swap in ranking. Rock is far and away the winner when it comes to album sales—the genre claims 40% of all album sales in the country—but the total number of records actually purchased dwindles every year, so while that percentage may remain steady or even climb, it’s not representative of how Americans are truly consuming music.

Hip-hop/R&B, on the other hand, is responsible for just over 29% of all on-demand streams across the country, and that is the only field that is growing noticeably. In fact, R&B/hip-hop is almost as popular on streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music than the next two genres (rock and pop) combined. At least seven of the top 10 most popular songs on streaming platforms in 2017 fit squarely into the hip-hop field, while another, Bruno Mars' "That's What I Like," blends pop and R&B.

As fans of the biggest names in hip-hop and R&B—names like Drake and The Weeknd—continue to hit play over and over again on hit singles and just-released albums (or playlist projects in Drake’s case), the number of total songs streamed in the U.S. will continue to rise, and those styles will pull ahead further and further.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/07/17/hip-hoprb-has-now-become-the-dominant-genre-in-the-u-s-for-the-first-time/#548d7c725383

Comments

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It been pretty obvious for the last ten years ,new Rock music on the radio has been dead ,most of the kids nowadays black,white,asian,hispanic etc on instagram and facebook listen to Rap. There really isn't any new Rock group making noise on the mainstream level that people care about.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop took it to millions, I knew it would!
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothin moves units like country music tho
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rock ran out of ideas in the 80s.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Post does #s
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Pop Country has taken over the entire country literally. What used to be rock shows touring summer outdoor venues are now being replaced by Country acts even up here in the northeast. The older rock acts still get crowds but the new rock acts really aren't doing as many arena tours as previous eras of rock.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mumble rap took it over the top.

The lit are mostly intrigued by the drum
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hip hop took it to millions, I knew it would!
    BDBIID wrote: »
    Mumble rap took it over the top.

Mumble rap took it to millions, I knew we would.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    dont know how i feel about this .
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    It been pretty obvious for the last ten years ,new Rock music on the radio has been dead ,most of the kids nowadays black,white,asian,hispanic etc on instagram and facebook listen to Rap. There really isn't any new Rock group making noise on the mainstream level that people care about.

Right that was apparent during the meek and drake beef.

Pages that nothing to do with hip hop were making meek memes.

Also all the new dances and rappers blow up through vine or ig memes.

I have yet seen an rock artist meme or rock artist blowing up through social media.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when the material is at its worst.....makes sense
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Right that was apparent during the meek and drake beef.

Pages that nothing to do with hip hop were making meek memes.

Also all the new dances and rappers blow up through vine or ig memes.

I have yet seen an rock artist meme or rock artist blowing up through social media.

lol I was asking the wife one night like how do ya'll know when your favorite artist is coming out with a album or working on a song with whoever?....like, i dont see this ? occur is there a specific channel for it all or what?.....how tf Taylor Swift sell (however many millions) and I never heard or seen a piece of it?

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Here is what is crazy in 2017. Here where i live in CT there has been a hip hop radio show (Hot Jam) and an Alternative Rock show (Radio 104 Fest).

15 or 20 years ago the 104 Fest would have rock bands in our main outdoor theater (Xfinity Theatre) with a 30,000 person capacity. The hot jam would have 18,000 or so at the Civic Center (now XL Center).

This weekend Hot Jam has pnb rock kyle a few other weed carriers and Chance headlining and is in that 30,000 seat Xfinity Theatre. The Radio 104 Fest had ? ass 311headlining and the show is in the small convention center with a few thousand seats.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here is what is crazy in 2017. Here where i live in CT there has been a hip hop radio show (Hot Jam) and an Alternative Rock show (Radio 104 Fest).

15 or 20 years ago the 104 Fest would have rock bands in our main outdoor theater (Xfinity Theatre) with a 30,000 person capacity. The hot jam would have 18,000 or so at the Civic Center (now XL Center).

This weekend Hot Jam has pnb rock kyle a few other weed carriers and Chance headlining and is in that 30,000 seat Xfinity Theatre. The Radio 104 Fest had ? ass 311headlining and the show is in the small convention center with a few thousand seats.

Chill, 311 old now but they were dope as ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought this been happened tho the way acts like Metallica n Linkin Park fell back n every metal band that breaks out gets backlash for being popular
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Chill, 311 old now but they were dope as ?

I never saw the hype with 311 and i am into all kinds of alternative rock

• MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AND AS USUAL, EVVVVVVVERYBODY MAKING MONEY OFF OF IT EXCEPT THOSE THAT ACTUALLY DO IT