The Coonery Continues SMH

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
This ? Mike Tirico sportscaster on NBC identifies............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoHuP-oyjZY

Never trust a black person that doesn't identify as such. Here's the article:

zbn1tnxxg0wkiuwryzfu.jpg

Wait ... hol’ up. Normally when we wade into these blackness waters, it’s because some fair-skinned pop star is refusing to accept that the back of her hair—you know, the area above the neck; the area that old folks call the “kitchen”; the area that used to make my sisters cry when my mom really dug in with the hairbrush and Posner Light Touch hair grease ... that area—is a little thicker than the rest.

But this news here is mind-boggling. Longtime ESPN broadcaster-turned-NBC Sports announcer Mike Tirico doesn’t believe himself to be black. To hear him tell it, he’s just an Italian kid who grew up in Queens, N.Y., who people keep insisting is black.

In a recent interview with the New York Times titled, “Mike Tirico Would Like to Talk About Anything but Mike Tirico,” the sportscaster had this to say about race:

“Why do I have to check any box?” he said. “If we live in a world where we’re not supposed to judge, why should anyone care about identifying?”

Besides, he added, “The race question in America is one that probably never produces a satisfactory answer for those who are asking the questions.”
The conversation with the Times about race stemmed from a 1991 piece from the Post-Standard, via Bar Tool Sports, in which Tirico claimed that he’s not sure he’s black:

“When people go around and say, ‘You are black’—well, I don’t encourage it, but by the same token I don’t back off of it,” he says. “If you want to call me that, that’s fine. But, you know, in my whole family, there’s nobody I know who is black.” Raised in Queens Michael Todd Tirico grew up in a middle-class Italian family in Queens, about a five-minute drive from Shea Stadium. Tirico’s parents, Donald and Maria, were separated when he was about 4, and he says he has since lost contact with his father’s side of the family. Tirico is an only child. Because of his dark skin and ethnic features, Tirico says, most people assume he is black. But he’s seen pictures of his father, his father’s mother and his father’s sister—all of whom are white, Tirico says.

“The only contact I had growing up was with my mom’s side of the family. And they are all as white as the refrigerator I’m standing in front of right now,” Tirico says, standing in his kitchen in the Clay townhouse where he lives. Someday, he says, he plans to do genealogical research to find out if he has a black ancestor, but it’s not something he considers a pressing issue. Tirico concedes, though, that his uncertain ethnicity sometimes makes other uncomfortable. Even skeptical. “I know the story sounds like a lot of bull, but it’s the truth” he says. “Does it matter to me? Yeah, I’d like to find out the truth at some point, so I can answer questions for my kids. But me? I’m living, I’m working, I’m leading an upstanding life. I don’t worry about it.”

Let me start by saying that I am no genealogist. I couldn’t tell you what blood runs through Mike Tirico’s veins, but I can tell you what my grandfather, who also was not a genealogist, would say about Tirico’s claim of being Italian:

“That dark-ass black boy needs to go sit his ass down somewhere in a dark-ass corner until he finds himself.”

I know a black nose when I see one. I have one. It protrudes off my face like a calling card to the ancestors. It is the first noticeable thing that makes it clear at least one of my parents is black. Tirico is black. He is blacker than a Caprice Classic sitting on dubs parked outside a wig/barbecue/fish-fry/church/liquor store. He’s blacker than a Jack and Jill cotillion. He’s blacker than syrup sandwiches. He’s blacker than Slick Rick’s eye patch.

Everything about this is confusing. Everything.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I'm not watching no 8 min vid of some other ? 's opinion...time stamps where Mike tirico himself said the alleged ? ? ?
  • black caesar
    Options
    I'm not watching no 8 min vid of some other ? 's opinion...time stamps where Mike tirico himself said the alleged ? ? ?

That's why the article is there.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If his father is Italian, I don't see an issue....

Children take their father's identity....

He must be adopted....

• atribecalledgabi
    Options

Lol you added that in later
  • black caesar
    Options
    bambu wrote: »

Stop making excuses for him. He has self identity issues.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Everyone been knew Trico is a ? !

And this is no different than the Zoe Saldana thing a few years ago.
  • black caesar
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Everyone been knew Trico is a ? !

I didn't even know who this dude was until today.
  • black caesar
    Options

Lol you added that in later

LOL Yeah I was pasting as you responded.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

I personally don't like the guy....

(He's been a ? either way)

So I'm not making excuses for him.....

But, children typically take the race/ethnicity of their fathers...

So if he has an Italian father, I don't see an issue......

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Off the little part I skimmed I actually agree with him for the most part. Why be in some boxes perpetrating the system used by Europeans to attempt to subjugate you? Who can tell you who you are? Fck that. I guess Italian is a nationality instead of "color"? If people wanna live their lives confined to boxes thats their choice at this point. Cant worry about anybody else in that regard. Are you who/what "they" say you are? Only if you let yourself be.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His last names Italian though..

I noticed over the years that if the last letter of your last year ends with a vowel (A,E,I,O,U) its a good chance its Italian
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IDK man this one Is a lil tricky..Tirico was a good play by play guy during NFL games ,If indeed his old man Is Italian,then he can't deny that can he ? Maybe he's not his father...lol
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tirico been saying this and i dont care. Part of the reason i don't watch aas much MNF besides the bad matchups is tirico don't call the games anymore and he is GOAT
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be honest I don't understand anything about this. He claims he was raised by his mother's family, who are all white. He says, he's seen pics of his supposed father and family members, and they are white too. There some confusion going on in that family since he clearly has some nonwhite heritage. That said, dude said he grew up knowing know other black people in his family. It shouldn't really be a surprise that he doesn't self identify as black. He doesn't self identify as white either. He just prefers not to answer the question.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The man doesnt kno if he is black read the article his white dad left at four .
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But he’s seen pictures of his father, his father’s mother and his father’s sister—all of whom are white, Tirico says.

“The only contact I had growing up was with my mom’s side of the family. And they are all as white as the refrigerator I’m standing in front of right now,”

Of course he has identity issues.

Either his mama need to come clean bout that night w/ Tyrone way back when or it's one of those 1 in a billion gene abnormalities.

But if both of his biological parents are actually white but he looks black he ain't being a ? by not accepting something he's not.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he black he black, you can't take away his blackness
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would anyone care what he calls himself? What are you going to do about it? Force him to check the black box?
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Really, its just about disregarding what other people say you are. Once you get beyond that things change. How they gon tell you who you are the loudest ones doing that dont really know who they are.
    Thats a big one. Outkast had a song Liberation than went into that. Disregarding what "they" think. Takes practice but fck what they think.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who cares? You are going to have black folk who don't identify with black folk. ? em. Do better with the apologetically Black/African and watch those cats run to us and we shut the door on them.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Who even asked him about his race? He's a sports caster...even if I cared about what he said here, he's not someone I'd wana use my energy on
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If what he said is true then his momma lyin about who his fatha really is