Australian woman visiting the US calls 911 for noise complaint, gets the bullets instead

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Do I feel sorry for the cop? Yes! I feel sorry for anyone put in a this position. That cop did not want to ? that women. I betcha he wished he never had to draw his weapon ever.

Does he deserve to go to jail? Hell yes! Like we say in the Navy. Pick your rate (job), Pick your fate! Being a cop aint easy but being a scared cop just shows you aint built for this ? . Half the cops aint built for that life. I have a church member that became a cop. I know he aint built for that ? . He should have became a transit cop or TSA. It is alot of mfer that scare people but do they deserve to die because you scared.

Cops are taught, "it is your life or theirs"? That is a statement from a actual training document. Either you are here to protect and serve or are you here to survive?

interesting....

I guess I see how cops ? so much now
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You couple that mentality with having cops watch vids like this in training and you see you why they all think "anyone and everyone is out to get me". This is video is used in cop training.
    https://youtu.be/k8-ycSkoYfc
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    You couple that mentality with having cops watch vids like this in training and you see you why they all think "anyone and everyone is out to get me". This is video is used in cop training.

dude shoulda "feared for his life" like 13 times

had that kind of stuff happened anywhere else but what im guessing is a small ass town, dude wouldve at least been subdued off top. can tell training varies from place to place. mfs prob have the same training tools and ? , but because they dont deal with the same issues they dont practice/know how to handle..
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

This happened near where I live...

But the whole "its your life or thiers" sounds like some NatGeo big cat week ?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Well....playing devils advocate......the public is continuously inundated with police shooting them and psychologically impacted by seeing them get away without penalty.....

Does this mean all citizens should fear for their lives during police encounters and do what they have to do to make it home (and not death or jail) or are the citizens held to a higher standard?
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    Lawd Can't Wait to hear the explanation on this.....

I think 'I was afraid for my life' is still batting .1000

c6lfhj1vrfwk.jpg

I was tryna ignore it, but the mathematician in me couldn't help it, I'm pretty sure you meant 1.000 (batting a thousand/100% success rate).

I feels ya doe! lol

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where's Blue Lives Matter? Hmmmmmmm!!!! They must be on vacation this week
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/07/20/fox-news-unusually-focused-nationality-officer-who-shot-justine-damond-hes-somali-american/217317
    Fox News is unusually focused on the nationality of the officer who shot Justine Damond (he's Somali-American)

The network’s coverage mainstreams xenophobic narratives about immigrant crime
  • Copper
    Options
    https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/07/20/fox-news-unusually-focused-nationality-officer-who-shot-justine-damond-hes-somali-american/217317
    Fox News is unusually focused on the nationality of the officer who shot Justine Damond (he's Somali-American)

The network’s coverage mainstreams xenophobic narratives about immigrant crime

I'll take things we already knew for 300 stew
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Where's Blue Lives Matter? Hmmmmmmm!!!! They must be on vacation this week

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.kare11.com/news/officer-in-damond-shooting-doesnt-have-to-talk-to-bca/458174048
    Officer in Damond shooting doesn't have to talk to BCA

MINNEAPOLIS - A Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot a woman who had called 911 to report a possible ? still hasn't spoken with investigators and doesn't have to, but he will be compelled to give a statement to his department as part of an internal investigation.

Officer Mohamed Noor hasn't provided his explanation for what happened Saturday when he fired a shot from the passenger seat of a squad car, past his partner in the driver's seat and killed Justine Damond, 40, who was standing outside the vehicle.

According to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Noor's partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, told investigators he was driving in the alley with all of the vehicle's lights off when he was startled by a loud noise, which authorities did not describe. Harrity said Damond appeared at the driver's side window "immediately afterward" and Noor fired, striking her in the abdomen. She died at the scene.

When it comes to talking to authorities, defense attorneys and legal experts said police officers have the same Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination as everyone else.

"Any lawyer that would recommend to him that he should give a statement to the BCA should be disbarred," said Joe Friedberg, a Minneapolis defense attorney who's not involved in the case. "Nobody should ever speak to law enforcement when they're the subject of a criminal investigation."

In contrast, Officer Jeronimo Yanez in the nearby suburb of St. Anthony sat down with state agents last summer the day after he shot Philando Castile. Prosecutors used his statement as evidence against him during his manslaughter trial, but the defense used it, too. Jurors apparently accepted Yanez's claims that he saw Castile's gun and believed his life was in danger. Yanez was acquitted.

The police department's internal affairs unit can compel Noor to give a statement as part of its own investigation, and fire him if he refuses, but that statement cannot be used against him in any criminal investigation, Friedberg said.

Assistant Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said that an internal use-of-force investigation has been opened, which is standard any time an officer discharges a weapon. The police chief has asked that the review be expedited, but much of the information needed is in the hands of state investigators.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-police-union-silent-after-damond-shooting/435510903/
    Minneapolis police union silent after Justine Damond shooting

Lt. Bob Kroll, breaking from past practice, said he will wait for investigation.

The fatal shooting of Justine Damond by a Minneapolis police officer has elicited strong reactions, from Mayor Betsy Hodges to Australia’s prime minister, who this week demanded answers in what he called a “shocking killing.”

But one voice was conspicuously missing: that of the union that represents the city’s 860-plus police officers.

In the days since the shooting on the city’s southwest side, Minneapolis Police Federation President Lt. Bob Kroll has repeatedly declined requests for comment on the shooting of the 40-year-old woman by officer Mohamed Noor.

The normally outspoken Kroll said he would wait until the completion of the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s investigation into the incident.

When pressed on the union’s silence, Kroll said this week that he was vilified after he publicly defended the two officers involved in the November 2015 shooting of Jamar Clark.

Kroll said that Hodges and Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau “condemned me for my swift response” after he came to the defense of the two officers involved, Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze. Both were later cleared in separate federal, state and internal probes.

“The chief came out one complete year later and regurgitated what I said,” Kroll said in a series of text messages Tuesday. “But I was the hated [one] for it all.”

Kroll said he came out in defense of the officers in the Clark case only after speaking with their attorney. “In this case, I don’t know the facts of it,” Kroll said. “His attorney is handling and the Federation is remaining silent. This is how our board and attorney decided to handle this one.”

Noor’s attorney, Thomas Plunkett, did not respond to requests for comment.

Police officials declined to comment on Kroll’s statements, and a spokesman for Hodges didn’t immediately respond to a message on Wednesday.

One City Council member was quick to point out that the union, usually a staunch supporter of cops accused of misconduct, hadn’t weighed in on the controversy.

“I don’t know how they do things; I think there’s a misperception that City Council is very close to them, or does their bidding, or has any control over them, and that’s just simply not true,” said Council Member Blong Yang, who chairs the Public Safety Committee. “I’d expect that they’re going to say something at some point — that’s their job.”

Not only has the union rushed to the defense of other officers involved in on-duty shootings, but it issued a lengthy, supportive statement after a Minneapolis police officer shot and wounded two dogs in a north Minneapolis backyard earlier this month. The incident was captured on home security video.

But the silence from the union in the Noor case is deafening, said Michael Padden, an attorney representing the dogs’ owner and a veteran litigator in lawsuits involving law enforcement. “It’s kind of surprising that they’re not saying anything, not even a quasi-supportive statement of ‘Wait until the investigation is done,’ ” Padden said.

Earlier this year, the union publicly backed officer Christopher Reiter, who was charged with assault after a security video caught him kicking a suspect in the face. The statement cautioned against rushing to judgment before all the facts are in, saying Reiter “deserves the same presumption of innocence every citizen is afforded in our justice system.”

The lack of response in the most recent shooting hasn’t been lost on some black officers. According to department sources, some officers have vented their frustration with Kroll over what they interpreted as a lack of support for Noor, who is Somali-American. Damond is white.

But Al Berryman, a past union president, said Kroll was doing right by staying quiet until he knows more.

“Cops want you to support them, but when they do something that’s questionable ... and you don’t have any evidence, you’ve gotta shut up,” said Berryman, who has been following the case via news reports from his home in Montana.

hm.gif
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the cop who shot the two dogs is black
  • Copper
    Options
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trillfate