Australian woman visiting the US calls 911 for noise complaint, gets the bullets instead

Options

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Major difference between white people and black people that no one is brave enough to point out on tv is that there are zero black people in the media justifying or making excuses for this cop
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Yo, that ? said the cop was an affirmative action hire by a hajib wearing mayor. She said doesn't care about being called a racist and it shows. The funny thing is I don't think any of those white people listening to her were buying that ? . Usually they are very vocal in their agreement if they are down with the racist rhetoric. Those people were dead silent.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Philandos mom is offering support to the Damond family. That's real.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A police chief in the US state of Minnesota has resigned after one of her officers fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman.
    Justine Damond was killed after she called the police to report a woman screaming outside her home in a quiet suburb of Minneapolis last week.
    Police chief Janee Harteau had earlier said it "should not have happened".
    The city's mayor accepted her resignation, saying she had lost confidence in Ms Harteau.
    Ms Damond's death provoked outrage in her homeland, where Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called it "inexplicable" and "a shocking killing".
    The 40-year-old yoga and meditation teacher, originally from Sydney, was shot when she approached a police car after reporting a suspected ? .
    A lawyer for Ms Damond's family has called it "ludicrous" to suggest the two officers inside had feared an ambush.
    Australia waits for answers in US shooting
    Speaking at a news conference in Minneapolis shortly before her resignation was announced, Ms Harteau said the killing was "the actions and judgement of one individual".
    Officer Mohamed Noor, who shot Ms Damond in the abdomen, has refused to be interviewed by investigators, as is his legal right.

Body cameras, which are worn by all Minneapolis police, had not been turned on at the time of the shooting and the squad car dashboard camera also failed to capture the incident.
    Chief Harteau said the cameras worn by Officers Noor and Matthew Harrity "should have been activated".

Mayor Betsy Hodges said, in a written statement, that it was unacceptable for body cameras "to fail us when we needed them most".

Source: BBC

She said the killing was the act of one individual....Welp!
  • Will Munny
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    Will Munny wrote: »

I bet the damond family didn't support philando. Black folk need to sit this one out

Philandos mom is just a better human being than you.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sounds like a tough game for Arsenal and Lacazette...
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I bet the damond family didn't support philando. Black folk need to sit this one out

And black people are more forgiving humans than white people. To a fault.

Well black peoples are just better than white people in general.

Not where it counts
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Olorun22 wrote: »

Not where it counts

Yeah, empathy and compassion gets you absolutely nowhere.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/us/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-days-after-officer-fatally-shot-a-woman.html
    Minneapolis Police Chief Forced Out After Fatal Shooting of Australian Woman

The Minneapolis police chief, Janee Harteau, resigned on Friday at the mayor’s request, less than a week after one of the city’s officers fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman who had called 911 for help.

Mayor Betsy Hodges said in a statement that “I’ve lost confidence in the chief’s ability to lead us further” and that “it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well.”

The fatal shooting of the Australian woman, Justine Damond, last weekend by Officer Mohamed Noor led to outpourings of grief in Minnesota and outrage in Ms. Damond’s home country, where the prime minister condemned the shooting and Ms. Damond’s family members have expressed frustration with how little they have been told about what happened.

Last Saturday, Ms. Damond, 40, called 911 twice to report a possible sexual assault near her home. Officer Noor and his partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, arrived at the scene in a dark alley several minutes later. Officer Harrity told state investigators that he had been startled by a loud noise just before Ms. Damond approached their cruiser. Officer Noor then shot her through the open window.

Officer Noor has declined to speak with investigators, and the authorities have provided no explanation for why he shot Ms. Damond. Neither Officer Noor nor his partner had turned on their body cameras.

Chief Harteau, a 30-year veteran of the Minneapolis police force, said in a statement that “the recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we’ve developed as a department.”

“I’ve decided I am willing to step aside to let a fresh set of leadership eyes see what more can be done for the M.P.D. to be the very best it can be,” Chief Harteau said. “The city of Minneapolis deserves the very best.”

Ms. Damond’s death was the latest high-profile episode to raise questions about police tactics under Chief Harteau. In 2015, weeks of protests followed the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark, an unarmed black man.

Nekima Levy-Pounds, a civil rights lawyer and activist running for mayor of Minneapolis, said Chief Harteau “needed to be fired.” Ms. Levy-Pounds said it had been “a slap in the face to people of color” that the chief spoke out about the death of Ms. Damond, who was white, after defending officers involved in past shootings of black people.

“She is attempting to paint this as an isolated case based on one officer’s poor judgment as opposed to a systemic pattern,” Ms. Levy-Pounds said.

Ms. Hodges, who is up for re-election in November and who has faced criticism for her handling of police issues, said she was appreciative of Chief Harteau’s service but had requested her resignation.

“In conversation with the chief today, she and I agreed that she would step aside to make way for new leadership,” Ms. Hodges said. “I asked Chief Harteau for her resignation, she tendered it and I have accepted it.”

Ms. Hodges said she would nominate Medaria Arradondo, currently the assistant chief in Minneapolis, to become chief of police.

At a news conference at City Hall on Friday night about the chief’s departure, protesters interrupted Ms. Hodges and called on her to resign. “Bye, bye, Betsy,” they chanted when she tried to speak. Demonstrators had also gathered outside City Hall, chanting, “No justice, no peace.”

After protesters left, Ms. Hodges returned to the lectern and said, “I will not be resigning.”

“I hope people appreciate that there is no magic wand for public safety,” Ms. Hodges said.

Chief Harteau was the first woman to serve as Minneapolis police chief and is also openly ? . She worked her way through the ranks of the department after joining in 1987, and she was seen by some nationally as a police reformer who outfitted officers with body cameras and advocated restorative justice. But locally, her department faced frequent protests and criticisms for its use of force and treatment of black people.

Chief Harteau was also believed to have a strained relationship with Ms. Hodges. The two leaders faced criticism from the Justice Department for their coordination during 2015 protests. And earlier this year, Ms. Hodges publicly overruled the chief on a promotion decision.

State investigators continue to probe Ms. Damond’s death. Both Ms. Hodges and Chief Harteau have said she should not have been shot. “Justine didn’t have to die,” Chief Harteau said on Thursday, citing information released by state officials investigating the case. “I believe the actions in question go against who we are as a department, how we train and the expectations we have for our officers.”
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-police-chief-janee-harteau-resigns/435864713/
    Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns; protesters shout down Mayor Betsy Hodges

Hodges 'lost confidence’ in Harteau and pushed for her ouster.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigned abruptly Friday amid growing criticism from the public and the City Council following the fatal police shooting of Justine Damond.

The chief’s departure came at the request of Mayor Betsy Hodges, who promptly nominated Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo, a 28-year veteran of the force, to replace Harteau. The move ended Harteau’s 4½-year run as the first woman and first openly ? person to head the department.

The death of Damond, a native Australian who had moved to Minneapolis to be with her fiancé, thrust Minneapolis into the international spotlight. It also has generated public skepticism about the department and its training, including from city officials who have questioned why the officers involved didn’t turn on their body cameras.

Hodges, who was frequently at odds with Harteau, issued a statement immediately after the resignation, saying she has “lost confidence in the Chief’s ability to lead us further.”

“And from the many conversations I’ve had with people around our city, especially this week, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well,” Hodges said. “For us to continue to transform policing — and community trust in policing — we need new leadership at MPD,” she continued. “...I asked Chief Harteau for her resignation, she tendered it, and I have accepted it.”

Hodges was forced to delay an 8 p.m. news conference at City Hall when protesters disrupted the event. The protesters came from the ranks of a larger crowd of about 200 people who had rallied at Loring Park at 6 p.m., then marched downtown, blocking streets and delaying traffic. After the protesters shouted the mayor down, demanding her resignation, they left and she was able to resume speaking to journalists. She said she has no intention of resigning.

Hodges praised Arradondo, who served as the department’s face over the past week while Harteau was out of the state taking time off. “The experience of working closely with him over the past week, which has been so hard on everyone in Minneapolis, has solidified my confidence,” the mayor said.

For her part, Harteau said in a statement that Damond’s death has caused her to “engage in deep reflection.”

“The recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we developed as a department,” she said. “Despite the MPD’s many accomplishments under my leadership over these years and my love for the City, I have to put the communities we serve first.”

Harteau joined the department in 1987, working patrol for the first nine years of her career, doing some undercover narcotics work and serving as a part-time negotiator. She made sergeant in 1998 and lieutenant in 2004, before being named a deputy chief. In 2012, then-Mayor R.T. Rybak picked her for the top job when Chief Tim Dolan retired, and she won the approval of the City Council. At the time, Rybak called her “a smart cop, a savvy administrator and a natural leader” and said she would make an exceptional chief.

But Harteau has publicly fought with city and state officials many times since then. In October 2013, she pushed back against a body camera proposal supported by Hodges and other council members, a month before Hodges was elected mayor.

Gov. Mark Dayton criticized Harteau in 2013 for publicly announcing, before notifying his office, plans to use the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct investigations of police officers who seriously hurt or ? people while on duty. More recently, in April, Hodges vetoed Harteau’s choice for the department’s new Fourth Precinct inspector, and their argumentative text exchange about it ended up becoming public.

Harteau was also chief during several contentious events, including the police shooting of Jamar Clark, an unarmed black man, in north Minneapolis in 2015.

In a news conference 24 hours before resigning, Harteau tried to distance the department from the Damond shooting, calling it “one individual’s actions” and not representative of the force. She said the officers should have been recording with body cameras and that Damond “didn’t have to die.” But she was criticized for being out of the state and not returning until four days after the shooting. Harteau said Thursday she was backpacking out West and getting regular updates on the case.

At midday Friday, Hodges told a City Council member that she had the votes on the executive committee to fire Harteau, and planned to do so if Harteau didn’t resign, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation.

At a council meeting earlier in the day, Council Member Linea Palmisano, who represents the ward where Damond lived, called for a change in leadership to address a systemic problem with police. Several council members said during the meeting and in subsequent interviews that they would like to oust Harteau or amend the city charter to give the council oversight of the department.

Reached after the resignation, Palmisano thanked Harteau for her years of service but said she looks forward to new leadership. “I called for a leadership change,” she said. “And I thank Mayor Hodges for responding. I thank my colleagues for their support in doing that.”

Palmisano isn’t alone in seeing Harteau’s resignation as a victory.

Lt. Bob Kroll, head of the Minneapolis Police Federation, described Harteau as vengeful and not understanding of the needs of the department.

“We had high hopes for her when she took over the position and she failed us,” said Kroll, adding that he believes Hodges only pushed out Harteau for her own political gain in a difficult election year.

Council Member Jacob Frey, who is running against Hodges for mayor, said he respects Harteau, but that stepping down was the right move.

“Trust in our entire public safety branch of government has dwindled to zero, with police shootings and increasing violent crime,” Frey said.

Nekima Levy-Pounds, a civil rights attorney who is also running for mayor, said Harteau needed to step down in the aftermath of several unnecessary police shootings during her tenure. She also called Harteau a hypocrite for seeming to treat Noor differently from white officers who have killed unarmed citizens in the past.

“Beyond that, the fact that the officers did not have their body cameras turned on at the time of their deadly encounter with Justine Damond signals a lack of oversight, accountability and enforcement on the part of Chief Harteau, which amounts to negligence,” said Levy-Pounds.

But activist Ron Edwards questioned the announcement’s timing, saying that it seemed short-sighted and politically motived. “I think she was a good chief, she was a good human being and she did bring a lot to bring about reform in this department, as well as she did a lot to bring about greater diversity,” he said.

News of Harteau’s resignation elicited cheers from a rally Friday evening to protest Damond’s death. Mindy Barry, one of Damond’s neighbors who helped organize the demonstration, said the community was shocked by the news, coming less than 24 hours after activist groups had demanded her firing.

“We can’t believe it,” said Barry. “But there’s a bit of frustration that it’s coming now, because so many people have been calling for these changes for so long.”

• Will Munny
    Options
    Olorun22 wrote: »

Not where it counts

Yeah, empathy and compassion gets you absolutely nowhere.

Word. ? Free World.
  • Will Munny
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Actually here in MN whites make up the bulk of the BLM protesters. I'm sure they're mostly just trying to start ? and don't really care about the real issues.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually here in MN whites make up the bulk of the BLM protesters. I'm sure they're mostly just trying to start ? and don't really care about the real issues.

That's an unfair statement. At least they're showing up and supporting, which is far more than the average white person.

On another note, this story has been such a crazy case of race reversal in all aspects. The way the media has reported it proves something very sad about our society.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just peeped that they're gonna blame this on BLM, and say they thought it was a BLM related ambush.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

Why are there black folks protesting this?!?!? Half of the white protesters more than likely didn't give one sh-t about the Castille murder!

I swear we need to get rid of the Christian mentality and cut it with that turn the other check and forgive thy neighbor bullsh-t!

Because we arent hypocrites.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

That's an unfair statement. At least they're showing up and supporting, which is far more than the average white person.

On another note, this story has been such a crazy case of race reversal in all aspects. The way the media has reported it proves something very sad about our society.

I was being sarcastic you ? bead

Jk no dis
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Using this amount of critical thinking usually doesn't make a person any friends, but Tarique Nasheed is a ? ? if he thinks all police shootings are comparable, especially this one.