Why did Kanye West get a pass for discouraging people going to college?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/gGO6VuyGQ8I

True enough, college isn't for everyone and the cost for a college education in America is absolutely absurd. But the amount of people who are fortunate enough to become a superstar rapper or producer like Kanye West is like a 1 in a million chance. To even play a professional sport in America you pretty much have to go college for at least a year. (Obviously there's a way around it but chances are very slim)

Even Drake had a line in a song about college not being for him but he paid his homeboy to get through college and then employed him.

If a white rapper made music aimed at black people where the entire theme was "college... who needs it?" We'd call it out for what it was.

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FOH

I know the IC like to hate on Kanye but this is just dumb
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    I BEEN TELLIN YOU CATS ALL ALONG...
    HE'S BEEN AN ? SINCE DAY 1...
    AND EVERYONE (AT LEAST HIS FANS) HAVE EMBRACED IT FROM THE DOOR...
    ADD MONEY TO THE EQUATION...
    AND YOU HAVE THE BIGGER ? THAT HE IS TODAY...

"What more could you ask fo'/The international ? "
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz he wasn't saying ? we already didn't know.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anti college posts incoming..
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz he wasn't saying ? we already didn't know.

this, and it's gotten worse since the album came out. More debt and no job to pay it off smh america need to get it together
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always took it as his marketing scheme to get some sort of "rebel against the system" cool points. On some "look at me, I skip class like the cool kids" type ? (Kanye shrug).
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I agree with you that his criticisms have weaknesses. However, we also have to look at the album as a piece of art rather than a research paper. That album is a reflection of how he saw college at that time in his life. It expresses his feelings, and doesn't necessarily have to be completely truthful or balanced in its assessment. Art is biased, and clearly this album shows us Kanye's biases. In a way that's a weakness, but in another way that's also a strength.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    FOH

I know the IC like to hate on Kanye but this is just dumb

Every criticism isn't hate.

I actually have loved this album since it came out. I just recently put it back in rotation and certain things about it jumped out at me differently.

His mother was a college professor and there he was, ? on college.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    This some ol "Hip hop made me do it" ?
  • soul rattler
    Options
    You must be one of those "Rap doesn't influence anything" faux fans
  • TheGOAT
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You must be one of those "Rap doesn't influence anything" faux fans

Or i just dont blame peoples personal lives on rappers

You think there is a generation of people out here who skipped college because "Kanye West told them to"
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye actually inspired me to finish college. In fact, Graduation dropped the year I would've graduated if I hadn't goofed off so much. To go even deeper... had he dropped Good Ass Job instead of 808s (dropped around the time I did graduate), that would've symbolized the moment a student my age made his/her degree count for something. Ye's first 4 albums spoke to my entire college career. Even MBDTF, Yeezus and TLOP came out during pivotal points in my life and either made a reference to something I went thru at that time or foreshadowed events to come.

As @Sion said, his commentary on college was satirical and up to the listener to decide to take seriously. To me, it was a lesson on what happens when you take initiative in your own life and follow your heart instead of going thru the motions and making pointless moves to please other ppl.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye West wrote: »
    Stop all your blood clot cryin', I was flyin'
    Made it to school with barely enough time to sign in
    Yeah, I hear the alarm, yeah, I hear you, Mom
    Yeah, yeah, I don't wan' be broke when I'm thirty-one
    They said the best classes go to the fastest, sorry, Mr. West
    There's no good classes, and that's what yo' ass get ....
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he didnt i remember Chuck D being all over Ye about this when the album dropped
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing to see here. Mfs should use their own brains instead of allowing others to think for them.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well i believe he wasnt trying to say dont go to college. I think you got this one wrong.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one cared about these skits other than them being something funny on his first album.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It was called "College Dropout", not "Drop Out of College"...

Besides that, I look at it as branding... At that point Kanye was a relatively new artist only known around the industry for his production credits... Dropping an album on the Roc around the time Dipset and State Prop were poppin... He couldn't rap through the wire his entire career, so he took the underdog route (Something J. Cole would repeat with Sideline Story)... He failed once... No one believed in him, not even his mentor... You open the album booklet and it continues the theme with pictures of him sitting on the bench and captions reading "Didn't Play", etc... He was the loser you wanted to see win... Then, he ends the album with a play-by-play of his career up to that point showing the listener that it took hard work to get where he was at...

Furthermore, I don't think Kanye was worried about being a good role model with not-so-pious songs with "Jesus" in the title, a tribute to the neighborhood drug dealer, and a song about getting coeds high... and the skits were funny...
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? college, Jay-z, Nas, and 3000 didn't even finish highschool. (I'm only joking, but it's true.)
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/gGO6VuyGQ8I

True enough, college isn't for everyone and the cost for a college education in America is absolutely absurd. But the amount of people who are fortunate enough to become a superstar rapper or producer like Kanye West is like a 1 in a million chance. To even play a professional sport in America you pretty much have to go college for at least a year. (Obviously there's a way around it but chances are very slim)

Even Drake had a line in a song about college not being for him but he paid his homeboy to get through college and then employed him.

If a white rapper made music aimed at black people where the entire theme was "college... who needs it?" We'd call it out for what it was.

So athletes get a education and a degree with 1 yr of college?Hell most who go for 3-4 yrs take up some bs major anyway,so they can't make no serious money with the degree.
    You said it your self college is not for everybody and if you go make sure you pick a major where u can make great money,because they student loans going to hit you for years.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ? college, Jay-z, Nas, and 3000 didn't even finish highschool. (I'm only joking, but it's true.)

Anytime someone says "so and so didn't go to college," I reply, Mean median mode outliers - do your googles

College tuition at public schools should be cut in half
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    Nothing to see here. Mfs should use their own brains instead of allowing others to think for them.

Message!
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did ya but his ? an helped him gain success an wait all this time 2 complain about it… I never bought a kanye cd or downloaded anything frm this goofy but he had good beats that's about it
    Tha only song I like
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8kyWDhB_QeI
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anytime someone says "so and so didn't go to college," I reply, Mean median mode outliers - do your googles

College tuition at public schools should be cut in half

nice