Why did Kanye West get a pass for discouraging people going to college?

Options
2»

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    You must be one of those "Rap doesn't influence anything" faux fans

Or i just dont blame peoples personal lives on rappers

You think there is a generation of people out here who skipped college because "Kanye West told them to"

? I said Kanye discouraged college, not that he successfully stopped people from going.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ive not felt Ye's music since 'Graduation', and think he is wasteman these days...

But TBF I dont think he was saying DONT go to college, I took the message as like, look if you dont go to college its not the end of the world, like your life isnt over if you dont go and there have been people who have become successful who havnt attended college...

I feel like he was just posing the question and playing devils advocate, giving the pros and cons, and telling people his story of how he dropped out and chased a dream that people said wouldnt pan out...

Also some people are forced into college because its 'best for them', and in doing so are discouraged from chasing a dream that doesnt require college, I think Kanye was saying if dont chase that dream you will never know if you could of made it... Still when it comes to music I think you can do both...
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    Yo it would be funny Ye's kid 'North' tells him and Kim he or she (not sure if they got a boy or girl) they arnt going to college and Ye goes on a rant of why they need college haha
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Ive not felt Ye's music since 'Graduation', and think he is wasteman these days...

But TBF I dont think he was saying DONT go to college, I took the message as like, look if you dont go to college its not the end of the world, like your life isnt over if you dont go and there have been people who have become successful who havnt attended college...

I feel like he was just posing the question and playing devils advocate, giving the pros and cons, and telling people his story of how he dropped out and chased a dream that people said wouldnt pan out...

Also some people are forced into college because its 'best for them', and in doing so are discouraged from chasing a dream that doesnt require college, I think Kanye was saying if dont chase that dream you will never know if you could of made it... Still when it comes to music I think you can do both...

Good post but where did Kanye ever say anything good about college? I don't recall him even ever saying anything akin to "college ain't for me, but go if you want it"
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College: No good. Its better to educate yourself on careers that pay and wont leave.

Too late for me though. Military too. What if we got a jump on life at 18?

That's how we all think after 40 lol

But you cant tell an 18 year old NOTHING! (they're grown)
  • Dogowner14
    Dogowner14 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Options
    Kanye west is a great actor
  • water ur seeds
    edited July 2017
    Options

Good post but where did Kanye ever say anything good about college? I don't recall him even ever saying anything akin to "college ain't for me, but go if you want it"

Yeah theres not alot haha in the skits he graduated though didnt he??? Plus he talks about his ma dukes getting a doctrine didnt he??? He mentions college alot though (obviously haha) which itself I think promotes it and his next albums are Late Registration' and 'Graduation'...

But what I just I got from the album that, it just wasnt for him and he dropped out to chase a dream and that some arnt brave enough to do that because they feel more secure just going for the sake of it...

In 'All Falls Down' he talks about some chick college, I think he is basically saying that she is in college because she thinks its the right think to do, but has no idea what to do after... I think there are a few tracks he talks about someone or himself at college, his girl being a 'Delta' and the whole 'delta step, kappa step etc' and the tune with 'Talib' and 'Mos' that went something like 'In NYU but she hails from Kansas, right now she just lampin, chillin on campus'... But yeah there doesnt seem to be many positive go join college references off the top of my head haha but I think you have to almost read between the lines of this album, it is kinda book like and make your own assessment *no pun*...
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL who did Kanye discourage? I was in High School when this album came out and it didnt stop my black ass from going to college and deep sea diving into student loan debt
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the T/S. Although I'm older I didn't go to college directly out of high school. One of the reasons I didn't go is because there were a lot of "pro-black" rappers talking against the system and how everything is Eurocentric.

I made a big mistake and if I could do it all over again I would have got my GED after my freshmen year of high school and gone straight to college. I would have graduated by the time I was 18.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I agree with the T/S. Although I'm older I didn't go to college directly out of high school. One of the reasons I didn't go is because there were a lot of "pro-black" rappers talking against the system and how everything is Eurocentric.

I made a big mistake and if I could do it all over again I would have got my GED after my freshmen year of high school and gone straight to college. I would have graduated by the time I was 18.

mmmmm what?!
  • soul rattler
    Options

Yeah theres not alot haha in the skits he graduated though didnt he??? Plus he talks about his ma dukes getting a doctrine didnt he??? He mentions college alot though (obviously haha) which itself I think promotes it and his next albums are Late Registration' and 'Graduation'...

But what I just I got from the album that, it just wasnt for him and he dropped out to chase a dream and that some arnt brave enough to do that because they feel more secure just going for the sake of it...

In 'All Falls Down' he talks about some chick college, I think he is basically saying that she is in college because she thinks its the right think to do, but has no idea what to do after... I think there are a few tracks he talks about someone or himself at college, his girl being a 'Delta' and the whole 'delta step, kappa step etc' and the tune with 'Talib' and 'Mos' that went something like 'In NYU but she hails from Kansas, right now she just lampin, chillin on campus'... But yeah there doesnt seem to be many positive go join college references off the top of my head haha but I think you have to almost read between the lines of this album, it is kinda book like and make your own assessment *no pun*...

"The major that she majored in don't make no money
    But she won't drop out, her parents will look at her funny"

He pretty much not only said that college wasn't for him, but he also referenced other people not living a fulfilling life as a result of college.

Again, I'm not saying he stopped anyone from going. It was only his first album. What I am saying is that he essentially made an anti-college album.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This ? here....
    So instead of finishing highschool with a diploma and went to college

You wouldve got yo ged after 1 year of high school then went to college and graduted from said college by time you was 18.

Oh my damn
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »

This ? here....

You wouldve got yo ged after 1 year of high school then went to college and graduted from said college by time you was 18.

Oh my damn

In hindsight, there's no reason to do 4 years of high school. If you can pass the GED test at 14 years old (which I could have done because I went to private school in junior high) then you can get into any college. I feel like I wasted my teenage years in high school when I could have skipped it and had a college degree by the time I was 18.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »

This ? here....

Oh my damn

In hindsight, there's no reason to do 4 years of high school. If you can pass the GED test at 14 years old (which I could have done because I went to private school in junior high) then you can get into any college. I feel like I wasted my teenage years in high school when I could have skipped it and had a college degree by the time I was 18.

Careful. You know black folk aren't allowed to be intelligent around here. You'll be called a liar or a troll.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 grand thinks he's the taj mowry of the IC

enhanced-17047-1401747091-14.jpg