Comments

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The threadstarter specifically said, "Is Jay OFFICIALLY The GROAT".

The answer is NO, Jay is not "officially" the GROAT.

Here's why, Bob Marley is OFFICIALLY The greatest Reggae singer of all time. If you asked 100 people who's the greatest Reggae singer 95% would say Bob Marley.

If you asked 100 people who's the greatest rapper of all time I doubt Jay would even get 50% of the votes.

If we're using the word "officially" then that means the vast majority of Rap fans would consider Jay the GROAT and I just don't think people feel that Jay has done for Rap what Bob Marley has done for Reggae.

If we doing that then nobody is the official GROAT becuz there is no rapper that most will consensus agree on as the greatest rapper everybody you name can be debated against

2pac my nigg

2pac ain't even close to the consensus GROAT and he's my second favorite all time but let's be real lol
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    so let me get this straight..

say yall ? have a son..
    he aspires to be a rapper..

u go give that ? a Nas tape.. or a Big tape and say "be like him.."

point to a Jay tape and shake ur head no in disgust..
    "whatever u do son.. never be like Jay!"

hahahaha..

Gunna hand him a Distant Relatives tape

Also, I'm seeing a lot of people saying how Jay had a HUGE impact and contribution to hiphop, but i dont think i saw anyone say what they were. If you're going to list stuff that happened in the last few years please, don't bother. I say that because there are so many news a blog outlets now that will report anything in the hopes of click bait.

I have a feeling some of you are using those word too lightly like its easily accomplished.

Jay had no impact his entire career was outsmarting not relivency he always grasp to whatever was hot at the moment and jump on to the next b4 the In got out I give em credit on at… but how's he the goat when all his biggest singles had futures? His highest selling cd was a future compilation cd he had 2 songs by himself non of which made the singles 5x plat…post a jay z hit wit no feature or sample…

You know how pac said against all odds is the realest ? he ever wrote?
    That ? you wrote there is the dumbest ? I've ever read

Just facts buddy…

Nah you didn't make sense at all, we respect Jay for his lyrics, flow and word play not for the hooks anybody else might be singing for him.
    Plus is there anything wrong with artists collaboration?
    Don't it feel good to hear biggie and jay on a song together whether it be brooklyns finest, I love the dough or young Gs
    You seriously saying Jay didn't make any impact in hip hop?

But ya complain about French Montana but it's ok when jay does it ctfu man the jay d!ck ridin is unbelievable…they weren't jus doing hooks ja rule wrote his biggest hit but ya complain about drake not written his ? I can careless wat song big was on I never mess wit dudes music till recently only in the east coast is big consider the goat… wat lyrics bigs? Lyrics you mean… what flow you mean the flow he took frm chris annpaid him off to stay quiet… no jay ain't make no impact only trend this ? set was button ups an that ain't last…
    I want all you jay z d!ck riders to post jay trends or his influence in music …
    So again wat impact did jay z bring yo hip hop??!

You should argue with facts...
    Jays biggest hit is not "can I get a" it's Empire State of mind.
    Also Ja didn't write nothing for Jay, it was a Ja song that Jay liked, ja gave it to him, Beat and hook Jay put his verse on it and put Amil on it, please explain to me how Ja wrote Jays biggest song?
    When Nore was at the breakfast club he explained to ctg why he did a new deal with revolt instead of cbs he said I gotta own my masters, I listened to 444. That's influence
    That's just this week and I don't really need to point out to you how Jay influenced or impacted the game if you can't see it by yourself
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    so let me get this straight..

say yall ? have a son..
    he aspires to be a rapper..

u go give that ? a Nas tape.. or a Big tape and say "be like him.."

point to a Jay tape and shake ur head no in disgust..
    "whatever u do son.. never be like Jay!"

hahahaha..

Gunna hand him a Distant Relatives tape

Also, I'm seeing a lot of people saying how Jay had a HUGE impact and contribution to hiphop, but i dont think i saw anyone say what they were. If you're going to list stuff that happened in the last few years please, don't bother. I say that because there are so many news a blog outlets now that will report anything in the hopes of click bait.

I have a feeling some of you are using those word too lightly like its easily accomplished.

Jay had no impact his entire career was outsmarting not relivency he always grasp to whatever was hot at the moment and jump on to the next b4 the In got out I give em credit on at… but how's he the goat when all his biggest singles had futures? His highest selling cd was a future compilation cd he had 2 songs by himself non of which made the singles 5x plat…post a jay z hit wit no feature or sample…

You know how pac said against all odds is the realest ? he ever wrote?
    That ? you wrote there is the dumbest ? I've ever read

Just facts buddy…

Nah you didn't make sense at all, we respect Jay for his lyrics, flow and word play not for the hooks anybody else might be singing for him.
    Plus is there anything wrong with artists collaboration?
    Don't it feel good to hear biggie and jay on a song together whether it be brooklyns finest, I love the dough or young Gs
    You seriously saying Jay didn't make any impact in hip hop?

But ya complain about French Montana but it's ok when jay does it ctfu man the jay d!ck ridin is unbelievable…they weren't jus doing hooks ja rule wrote his biggest hit but ya complain about drake not written his ? I can careless wat song big was on I never mess wit dudes music till recently only in the east coast is big consider the goat… wat lyrics bigs? Lyrics you mean… what flow you mean the flow he took frm chris annpaid him off to stay quiet… no jay ain't make no impact only trend this ? set was button ups an that ain't last…
    I want all you jay z d!ck riders to post jay trends or his influence in music …
    So again wat impact did jay z bring yo hip hop??!

You should argue with facts...
    Jays biggest hit is not "can I get a" it's Empire State of mind.
    Also Ja didn't write nothing for Jay, it was a Ja song that Jay liked, ja gave it to him, Beat and hook Jay put his verse on it and put Amil on it, please explain to me how Ja wrote Jays biggest song?
    When Nore was at the breakfast club he explained to ctg why he did a new deal with revolt instead of cbs he said I gotta own my masters, I listened to 444. That's influence
    That's just this week and I don't really need to point out to you how Jay influenced or impacted the game if you can't see it by yourself

If Empire State of mind his biggest hit that's bad that was way past his prime bp3… so wat would a jay verse done wit out a hook or beat jus a freestyle quick 16…nore hot influence by 444 bra I'm talmbout new artist or influence he set durin vol 3 dynasty bp ba ? Every album he followed sum 1 blue print…up until bp he did his own
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    When i judge a rapper i just technical abilities, catalog, and impact. I think he check the box more than any other rapper imo. To me Jay and Dre got the strongest lineage in rap as far as who they put on or influenced.

The only person Jay really most definitely put on was Bleek, Source Money and Cole. And only one of them had a good career. Everybody else it was Dame. Jay didn't discover Jeezy, or Ross. Nas put Cormega, Nature, Natshawn, AZ , Wiz and Jungle,Quan and the first to work with Ameri. And lets not forget Dave East.

Ross himself said Jay and LA Reid put him on.

Ross had a deal with Slip n Slid first. I believe Bleek brought him to their attention. Jay didn't get on a Ross record and make it hot as a first single. And he didn't feature Ross on his record to introduce him to the public. Ross made himself a star with hard work.

When i judge a rapper i just technical abilities, catalog, and impact. I think he check the box more than any other rapper imo. To me Jay and Dre got the strongest lineage in rap as far as who they put on or influenced.

Who did jay put on?

Beans
    Ye
    Just Blaze
    Lupe
    Cole
    Ross
    Etc

Just Blaze is a producer. That ? don't count. Plus he did records with other rapper before Jay. Kanye brought Lupe out to the world on Touch the sky. But Lupe had a deal already to be honest. Jay didn't put him on either. Dame put Ye on not Jay. Jay had nothing to do with that album. But he did put on Ja Rule.

Put on mean to break the artist to the world or the first to sign them right?

Just Blaze first hit and full credit came from Jay. He ghost produced, but it was Jay who gave him his break. Food and Liquor was executive produced by Jay. Kanyes first major verse I've heard was on the Blueprint 2 album. Jay used Kanye and Just when they were nobodies in the time period of the Neptune's and Timbalands reign.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No

The only person Jay really most definitely put on was Bleek, Source Money and Cole. And only one of them had a good career. Everybody else it was Dame. Jay didn't discover Jeezy, or Ross. Nas put Cormega, Nature, Natshawn, AZ , Wiz and Jungle,Quan and the first to work with Ameri. And lets not forget Dave East.

Ross had a deal with Slip n Slid first. I believe Bleek brought him to their attention. Jay didn't get on a Ross record and make it hot as a first single. And he didn't feature Ross on his record to introduce him to the public. Ross made himself a star with hard work.

Who did jay put on?

Beans
    Ye
    Just Blaze
    Lupe
    Cole
    Ross
    Etc

Just Blaze is a producer. That ? don't count. Plus he did records with other rapper before Jay. Kanye brought Lupe out to the world on Touch the sky. But Lupe had a deal already to be honest. Jay didn't put him on either. Dame put Ye on not Jay. Jay had nothing to do with that album. But he did put on Ja Rule.

Just Blaze first hit and full credit came from Jay. He ghost produced, but it was Jay who gave him his break. Food and Liquor was executive produced by Jay. Kanyes first major verse I've heard was on the Blueprint 2 album. Jay used Kanye and Just when they were nobodies in the time period of the Neptune's and Timbalands reign.

Wrong, Just Blaze was credited on Killah Priest second album and Buckshot BDI album. As I said Lupe got his first national shine on Kayne album. Before his album came out. We talking about putting someone on or executive producers? Kanye did songs with Foxy Brown, Harlem World, and Goodie Mob before he did the Blueprint.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Yes
    Lol at ppl giving 100 ppl credit for putting on Jay but when it come to Jay putting somebody on he gotta be the only one putting that person on outside of they momma smh
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    No
    Lol at ppl giving 100 ppl credit for putting on Jay but when it come to Jay putting somebody on he gotta be the only one putting that person on outside of they momma smh

Do you know what putting on means? You put that person in the game by putting the spot light on them for the first time. Or discovering and signing the artist. Ja had videos out as a group member, but Jay put him on as a solo artist. Same as Bleek Source Money and Beenie. The other people that was named he didn't put on.
  • GetoBoy
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes

Do you know what putting on means? You put that person in the game by putting the spot light on them for the first time. Or discovering and signing the artist. Ja had videos out as a group member, but Jay put him on as a solo artist. Same as Bleek Source Money and Beenie. The other people that was named he didn't put on.

So who put Jay on??? Let's see how this answer works becuz ppl make it out like 10 ppl are responsible for Jay career but ? wanna act like even when rappers say Jay helped put em on or get them their deal that actually put them in the spot light they lying or something
  • Mr 202
    Options
    Yes
    Blueprint gave him the shine if you ask Kanye he will tell you.
    Nobody was checking on Kanye and just blaze till they did the blueprint.
    Jay was executive producer on lupes first Album
  • Mr 202
    Options
    Yes

Who did jay put on?

Beans
    Ye
    Just Blaze
    Lupe
    Cole
    Ross
    Etc

Wrong, Just Blaze was credited on Killah Priest second album and Buckshot BDI album. As I said Lupe got his first national shine on Kayne album. Before his album came out. We talking about putting someone on or executive producers? Kanye did songs with Foxy Brown, Harlem World, and Goodie Mob before he did the Blueprint.

What I wrote previous was in reply to you
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes kanye put Lupe on his song BUT Jay is the one who got Lupe his deal with Atlantic, executive produced his first album and also mentored him.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    No

So who put Jay on??? Let's see how this answer works becuz ppl make it out like 10 ppl are responsible for Jay career but ? wanna act like even when rappers say Jay helped put em on or get them their deal that actually put them in the spot light they lying or something

Jaz o,Mary j,big,dame,Biggs,kalvin,amarie,
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    No

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7wD8kchHYDw
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

Jaz O - yeah

MJB and Big were on HIS album

Dame and Biggs were his business partners

Who the ? Kalvin and Amarie
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

I think it's a little weird to say Jay put a producer on though. After all, Blueprint is only classic material because of the production, so it was less "Jay putting Ye on" and more "Jay picking the best production for his album which happened to come from Ye." Kanye even spoke on it a while ago, how he would make beats that weren't even intended for Jay, but Jay would hear them and insist they be on his album. I guess my point is that good producers will blow up regardless. They don't need particular rappers to put them on.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    No

Jaz O - yeah

Mjb had a name
    Put a famous ? on a hook now you sold millions-nas

Big had a name
    1st album no famous guest appearance- nas

Dame n biggs were not his partners they were his bosses

Kelvin & amarie were his partners who funded the so call interview were Dame said jay started comin arnd wit money givin em his image
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    No

I think it's a little weird to say Jay put a producer on though. After all, Blueprint is only classic material because of the production, so it was less "Jay putting Ye on" and more "Jay picking the best production for his album which happened to come from Ye." Kanye even spoke on it a while ago, how he would make beats that weren't even intended for Jay, but Jay would hear them and insist they be on his album. I guess my point is that good producers will blow up regardless. They don't need particular rappers to put them on.

Wit out ye bp woulda jus been black album fill wit just blaze an timbo productions b4 tha black album
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I guess some people need Jay Z to die, so these pick-N-choose ? can give him the G.O.A.T. status"
    Naw, he's good where he at, alive and making history.
  • power_wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No

Jaz O. Lupe had a deal before Alantic too. Remember that. He had a label partner and they was already doing things. Jay didn't get Lupe off the streets and get him a deal. That's why he didn't sign to the Roc. Would Jay had put Joey Bad Ass on if he sign to him, even though you heard of him already?

A producer going work regardless. They both was up and coming. And both had worked with major artists. So no Jay didn't put on Ye and Just. What's next Jay put on 9th wonder? Artist can't make a producer hot. It's the other way around.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

Jaz O - yeah

Mjb had a name

Big had a name

Kelvin & amarie were his partners who funded the so call interview were Dame said jay started comin arnd wit money givin em his image

Dame and biggs was his partners you ? . They all owned rocafella. Which is why Jay was able to sell his portion back to def jam and get the others to do as well. Could Kendrick make dre sell aftermath? Stop acting like you know everything in here. You don't know, ask
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    No

Jaz O - yeah

Mjb had a name

Big had a name

Dame and biggs was his partners you ? . They all owned rocafella. Which is why Jay was able to sell his portion back to def jam and get the others to do as well. Could Kendrick make dre sell aftermath? Stop acting like you know everything in here. You don't know, ask

Dame n Biggs were originally his boss it wasn't up till vol1 jay became a partner when they got the deffjam deal… an Kendrick did not start wit dre or dre wit Kendrick goofy bao… I'm here stating facts!
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The votes are 71-44 No

Jay isn't the "official" GROAT

To be the "official" GROAT he'd need to win the poll by a large margin.

Mods need to lock this. The votes have been counted.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

Jaz O - yeah

Mjb had a name

Big had a name

Dame n Biggs were originally his boss it wasn't up till vol1 jay became a partner when they got the deffjam deal… an Kendrick did not start wit dre or dre wit Kendrick goofy bao… I'm here stating facts!

Kys white suburban boy
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

Jaz O - yeah

Mjb had a name

Big had a name

Kys white suburban boy