Tampa mother looking for answers after son shot in prison

Options
BIGG WILL
BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
More than three days after her son was shot at the Columbia Correctional Institution in Lake City, a Tampa mother says she has yet to hear from him or from prison officials updating her on his condition.

Joanne Billups said her son, Deshandre, was one of two inmates shot on Saturday. Investigators said they were not shot by guards but they aren't saying who's responsible or how a gun got inside the prison.

The Columbia County Sheriff's Office said one inmate was airlifted to the hospital and the other was taken by ambulance.

Billups said she has been told her son is alive but she's been given no specifics about his condition.

"I don't know if my son was airlifted," she said. "I don't know where he was shot at. Right now, I don't know anything except he was shot and transferred. No one is giving me any answers."

Billups said the Warden told her he would have her son call her but she said that hasn't happened.

"Basically I want to hear his voice," Billups said. "I want him to tell me he's fine and that's it."

Billups' attorney, Grady Irvin, said the broader issue is how the whole thing happened in the first place.

"The contraband coming into the prisons is escalating," said Irvin. "We've gone from cigarettes to marijuana to cell phones and now we're into firearms. This is just ridiculous."

Irvin has written a letter to Governor Scott asking for an investigation.

Billups said she just wants to hear from her son.

"I haven't had any sleep," she said. "I haven't been sleeping for days because I haven't heard from my child."

The Florida Department of Corrections issued the following statement:

"Protecting the safety of Florida's families is the primary mission of the Florida Department of Corrections. The DOC continues to work closely with its law enforcement partners on this active, ongoing investigation. At this point, we cannot comment further on the details related to this incident."

Comments

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow.This is just like that ep on OZ
  • Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    Investigators said they were not shot by guards

So inmates got a right to bear arms now? They can't even lie right.....chunky lawsuit
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can u possibly smuggle a gun into prison, and it could be an inmate somehow swindled a gun from a guard but I doubt that too.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can u possibly smuggle a gun into prison, and it could be an inmate somehow swindled a gun from a guard but I doubt that too.

it happens often
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    CO's don't make a lot of money..

If you come at them right and get them to trust you,
    you can get them to smuggle anything,
    especially if the money is right..

Side note: in b4 Bugs Bunny Florida gif..
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lake city don't ? off
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    illedout wrote: »
    CO's don't make a lot of money..

If you come at them right and get them to trust you,
    you can get them to smuggle anything,
    especially if the money is right..

Side note: in b4 Bugs Bunny Florida gif..

idk about FL, but COs in other places make big money...
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? sound like a habitual line stepper

The ? you do that make another ? want to shoot you....

In prison
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of these prison guns are about as big as cell phones, and you see how many of them are in jails/prisons
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    "Deshandre"

.......? was Destined for Jail *SMH*
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    One of the inmates accused of shooting themselves in what authorities say was a scheme to sue the state in an effort to win an earlier release date from a northern Florida prison has a lengthy record in Hillsborough County.

His mother, who is from Tampa, was in jail on charges that she participated in the plot with at least four others, in addition to the inmates who allegedly shot themselves.
    Joanne Billups, 46, was arrested Tuesday and booked into the Hillsborough County jail on 10 counts of introducing contraband into a correctional facility. She is accused of sending her son, Deshandre Billups, 26, at least 10 text messages on a contraband cellphone in the days leading up to the March 22 shootings, including one just hours before they happened.

The younger Billups was charged in the scheme with inmate Kirk Cartwright, 33, both of whom shot themselves with .25-caliber Beretta semiautomatic handgun inside the Columbia Correctional Institution in Lake City, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The two told investigators they were shot inside a cell while praying. But the FDLE says they actually shot themselves with the intent of suing the Florida Department of Corrections.

Investigators say the two conspired to smuggle cellphones and drugs into the prison for personal use or sales, and managed to get the gun sent by mail to the prison without detection. A third inmate is accused with assisting the plot, along with two girlfriends and a sister of the inmates.

Billups' mother was being held in Hillsborough on an out-of-county warrant on $100,000 bail. Her son is serving a 20-year sentence on charges of robbery with a deadly weapon, a gun, and armed burglary, according to the Department of Corrections.

His sentence stems from a January 2009 home-invasion robbery in Hillsborough County for which he initially faced charges of armed robbery, auto theft and possession of a firearm by a felon. He has a lengthy arrest record in Hillsborough for charges including auto theft, illegal weapons possession and escape from police custody.
  • kingtob330
    kingtob330 Members Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard about it ...stay free my ?
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not understanding the rationale behind this brilliant plan of the mother. How does getting shot in prison reduce a prison term?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

COs don't carry guns in jail
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

A sympathetic (and crazy) CO gave it to Said iirc
  • blackgod813
    Options
    He was gettin tortured in jail shut your ? mouth u have no idea what this case about who you disrespecting...nor what florida prison jails are like...florida prisons are slave camps not like anything you have seen
  • blackgod813
    Options
    Yall stay talkin about florida but have no idea how hard it is this isnt Miami this TAMPA
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    He was gettin tortured in jail shut your ? mouth u have no idea what this case about who you disrespecting...nor what florida prison jails are like...florida prisons are slave camps not like anything you have seen

you know homie? personally?
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    loch121 wrote: »

A sympathetic (and crazy) CO gave it to Said iirc

Yup, Wood Harris cameo
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Say it ain't so! Another L for the state of Florida???
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options