I Hate My Generation... A Lot

Options

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Rock is also a hip hop head and has been it since early 80's.

And only when Get low by ying yang twinz came out did he start questioning it. And that was in 2004.

Anybody born in the 70's or 80's are not talking down on 80's/90's and early 2000's rap.

That's 3 generations. It's not about being old.
    These migos ? are older than me and I still hate this generation. I grew up listening to 80's rap and then 90's and up.

All these 90's kids that claim to not know Bone thugs, OutKast and etc are just clowns that started listening to hip hop 5 years ago. They were prolly listening to pop music or rock before that. don't put us in that category

THIS....

I hate the idea of, "its a generational thing"

Thats the biggest cop out ever. Great music doesn't have an expiration date. Good music is good music no matter what year it is dropped. If you look at Hip Hop nowadays, it is not a coincidence that Kendrick Lamar is the most respected "new rapper". Its because he can spit and people care about what he has to say. You got guys nowadays screaming, "I'm not a rapper" but steady using the platform of Hip Hop to line they pockets. Alot of these dudes are culture vultures and they went unchecked for years because of the, "at least he getting money" or the "let the young ? cook" mentality. I find it funny that when Iggy was out, Hip Hop was so damn enthusiastic to get rid of her but if the same damn folks what have taken the same energy to correct the trash state of Hip Hop that began in 2004 and 2005, we wouldn't be here right now.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cycle continues
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Angela Lee says real Hip Hop real celebrities ... she talking bout these new wack rappers
    while taking shots at the underground O.G.'s ......
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    https://youtu.be/wpltFmXclH0
    Pharoah at 2:03

This was released in 92 I believe ......

That southern tongue flippin like a Tommy Gun may be the originator
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Migos Culture has been replayed a lot this year (I copped the album because they shot a video in my country Nigeria... for the album) and even though I'm in my 30s I preferred it (sadly) to one half of OutKast: Big Boi's Boomiverse :/

Yeah @aneed123 right. Rap is mostly a young man's sport. But I don't like old ? following newer trends though musically
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris Rock is also a hip hop head and has been it since early 80's.

And only when Get low by ying yang twinz came out did he start questioning it. And that was in 2004.

Anybody born in the 70's or 80's are not talking down on 80's/90's and early 2000's rap.

That's 3 generations. It's not about being old.
    These migos ? are older than me and I still hate this generation. I grew up listening to 80's rap and then 90's and up.

All these 90's kids that claim to not know Bone thugs, OutKast and etc are just clowns that started listening to hip hop 5 years ago. They were prolly listening to pop music or rock before that. don't put us in that category

Chris Rock also put up an IG post of Tyler's album this morning saying its dope from start to finish and dont sleep on it.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My brother is 15 and ? with 90s & early 2000s hip-hop tough. Me & my other brother saved him. He spit the lyrics to "Bow Down" last night almost word for word.
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    I try to listen to every new rap album that drops. Ive listened to a ton of albums this year from people i never heard of.

But i have no patience for migosflow or mumble rappers. Come with your own style and i will give u a fair shot

There is alot of good young talent out there. You just cant be lazy or you wont find it.

Like who ? Name your list of young rappers without saying Joey, Earl, or Dave East. I honestly can't think of any other good young rappers out

Vince staples
    Isiah Rashad
    G herbo
    Don q
    Smino
    Gold link
    Corey finesse
    Dizzy wright
    Flatbush zombies
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I try to listen to every new rap album that drops. Ive listened to a ton of albums this year from people i never heard of.

But i have no patience for migosflow or mumble rappers. Come with your own style and i will give u a fair shot

There is alot of good young talent out there. You just cant be lazy or you wont find it.

Like who ? Name your list of young rappers without saying Joey, Earl, or Dave East. I honestly can't think of any other good young rappers out

Vic Mensa
    illa J
    J.I.D.
    Your Old Droog
    Joyner Lucas

....all dropped solid projects this year

Jidenna might be a couple years older than them but he dropped a dope debut album as well

Logic got talent even tho his album this year was corny

Even Kodak Black kinda surprised me. I listened to his album and was surprised how musical he was even tho his raps are ignorant/immature as hell. He can have a future in this if he writes better lyrics bcuz he def has an ear for making songs.

Smino
    Goldlink
    Nick Grant
    Nef the Pharaoh
    The Underachievers

...all dropped albums i didnt really care for but had a couple tracks on it i ? with

Edit: listening to jonwayne right now and ? is dope

Respect. Been seeing you in all the threads of the lesser known rappers. You should check out Saba's album Bucket List Project. You won't regret it.

@mosincredible dope drop. I just listened to Bucket List Project and the whole thing is fire.

Just became a Saba fan
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Vic Mensa
    illa J
    J.I.D.
    Your Old Droog
    Joyner Lucas

Jidenna might be a couple years older than them but he dropped a dope debut album as well

Even Kodak Black kinda surprised me. I listened to his album and was surprised how musical he was even tho his raps are ignorant/immature as hell. He can have a future in this if he writes better lyrics bcuz he def has an ear for making songs.

Smino
    Goldlink
    Nick Grant
    Nef the Pharaoh
    The Underachievers

...all dropped albums i didnt really care for but had a couple tracks on it i ? with

Respect. Been seeing you in all the threads of the lesser known rappers. You should check out Saba's album Bucket List Project. You won't regret it.

@mosincredible dope drop. I just listened to Bucket List Project and the whole thing is fire.

Just became a Saba fan

Got my lil brothers on Saba. Dude needs more looks, he has alot of potential.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I'm not even one of those 90s is the best ? y'all new ? types. By definition I can't be. Biggie died when I was 5 but to not know who Outkast is, is crazy.

that ? was not that long ago.

I think we have as much talent as it's ever been but too much ? gets through under the guise of "new"

? not even saying anything anymore and it's ok cuz it "bang". Everything that bang ain't good

I tell ? all the time

That's not rap. That's techno music.

My young co workers tell me you gotta give that new ? a listen.

My response is I could if they were talking about something, no subject matter, ? mumbling, I can't do it. I shall survive off my collection of tapes and cd's from 1985-2005 at least 1000 or more.

• mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Vic Mensa
    illa J
    J.I.D.
    Your Old Droog
    Joyner Lucas

Smino
    Goldlink
    Nick Grant
    Nef the Pharaoh
    The Underachievers

Just became a Saba fan

@TheGOAT Glad you listened. I made a thread for him and it faded into oblivion. Caught very few posters. @silverfoxx @lazypakman and @Qiv_Owan were there though.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I'm not even one of those 90s is the best ? y'all new ? types. By definition I can't be. Biggie died when I was 5 but to not know who Outkast is, is crazy.

that ? was not that long ago.

I think we have as much talent as it's ever been but too much ? gets through under the guise of "new"

? not even saying anything anymore and it's ok cuz it "bang". Everything that bang ain't good

I tell ? all the time

That's not rap. That's techno music.

My young co workers tell me you gotta give that new ? a listen.

My response is I could if they were talking about something, no subject matter, ? mumbling, I can't do it. I shall survive off my collection of tapes and cd's from 1985-2005 at least 1000 or more.

Hoe could you know if they were or weren't talkin about anything if you never listen… same can be said 4 the younger generation they aren't going to listen if tha ? says 50words in 1 minute
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    We quicker at breaking down messages
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Vic Mensa
    illa J
    J.I.D.
    Your Old Droog
    Joyner Lucas

Smino
    Goldlink
    Nick Grant
    Nef the Pharaoh
    The Underachievers

Just became a Saba fan

Got my lil brothers on Saba. Dude needs more looks, he has alot of potential.

? it. Here's 2 songs from his 2014 album.

Marbles
    https://youtu.be/ODuyMacybbg

Comfort Food
    https://youtu.be/799-otBfqWY
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    The generation previous to us thought we was stupid too. The cycle continues.

? this. The amount of old heads saying Rakim, KRS, Too Short were the GOATs. Weren't as nice to me as Redman, Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas and Pac.

• 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got damn..just tried my best to get through that ugly ? ..couldnt do it. Beat wise it was straight but he just kept coming with buuuuuhllshit. I feel like its for mfs that dropped out in the second grade../nohate lol
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nah the generation before was not as vocal as we are to the new generation .....

How can you be vocal about Biggie?

How can you be vocal about Tupac?

How can you be vocal about NWA?

90's was an extension of the 80's .....

Many pioneers kept it moving like LL Cool J etc .....

How can you be vocal about Nas?

As good as the 70's was the 90's was the pinnacle of Hip-Hop

which was an extention from the late 80's ....

Krs-1 wasn't an instant legend he kept going .......

The craft was still pretty knew and many who started off close to the beginning was still working

to solidify themselves in the early to mid 90's so it was more connected ....

I could definitely relate to early 80's Hip-Hop and 90's Hip-Hop everything after that was more of a remake ......

...real talk ...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Greatest rapper in 2017: Kendrick Lamar

Nothing wrong with this generation of hip hop or its fans, but there is a problem with the powerful members of society who still make it possible for Drake to be getting airplay following his battle against Common Sense. Everyone said his career would be over following the 'Canada Dry' lyric, but it didn't change a thing: this is the difference between today's generation and the last.

Towards the end of 'my generation', Ja Rule disappeared off the map. He still released a decent album in Blood In My Eye, but it didn't matter: he lost the battle with Shady/Aftermath and that was that. I respected my era of hip hop for that matter: it kept things interesting and the possibility of a multi-plat artist disappearing was a very real possibility. Today, there's no competition: correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't claim to know much about the current state of hip hop affairs, but Drake still having a career is bad for hip hop and emceeing, which was birthed out of competition. Some weight for this argument lies with the consumerism of hip hop culture and the fact that there are enough pop fans who think Drake is something he's not: just like you're able to tell your friend that Biggie was nicer on the mic and better at crafting songs.

In our day, it was clear that Nas defeated Jay-Z when he dropped Ether. Jay was still able to have a career because he fought that battle well enough to gain the respect of the people. In contrast, Drake just embarrassed himself.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Nothing wrong with this generation of hip hop or its fans, but there is a problem with the powerful members of society who still make it possible for Drake to be getting airplay following his battle against Common Sense. Everyone said his career would be over following the 'Canada Dry' lyric, but it didn't change a thing: this is the difference between today's generation and the last.

Towards the end of 'my generation', Ja Rule disappeared off the map. He still released a decent album in Blood In My Eye, but it didn't matter: he lost the battle with Shady/Aftermath and that was that. I respected my era of hip hop for that matter: it kept things interesting and the possibility of a multi-plat artist disappearing was a very real possibility. Today, there's no competition: correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't claim to know much about the current state of hip hop affairs, but Drake still having a career is bad for hip hop and emceeing, which was birthed out of competition. Some weight for this argument lies with the consumerism of hip hop culture and the fact that there are enough pop fans who think Drake is something he's not: just like you're able to tell your friend that Biggie was nicer on the mic and better at crafting songs.

In our day, it was clear that Nas defeated Jay-Z when he dropped Ether. Jay was still able to have a career because he fought that battle well enough to gain the respect of the people. In contrast, Drake just embarrassed himself.

Aw ? Ruffdraft
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Ja Rule versus the mainstream? ..... yeah he lost .....it is what it is ..........
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I first heard Young Jeezy I thought it was some ? . Now he a dope veteran lyricist. That's how bad it's gotten.
  • TheGOAT
    edited August 2017
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    When I first heard Young Jeezy I thought it was some ? . Now he a dope veteran lyricist. That's how bad it's gotten.

Same way i feel about Gucci

When i first heard him i was like wtf is this

But he a lyrical ? compared to the rest of the bs coming out atlanta since
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with TM 101 heavy when it dropped.
    It's one of the few albums I know every song damn near word for word.
    He got a solid discography. Only album I don't really rock with is Church in these Streets

I hated Gucci til I heard The Movie which was probably in 09 for me
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Nobody is willing to fight(lyrically) Drake or at least not anybody with the skill set to embarrass him. Everybody is friends and the competition doesn't exist anymore *sigh* that's why we are where we're at.