What is the backstory behind some of your favorite songs?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
For Life's a ? , Nas wanted to use a different sample. Also this was the first time Nas and AZ met, AZ's hook was apart of a freestyle he kicked to Nas.

Can I Live from Reasonable Doubt, was supposed to have Nas on the second verse, but he failed to show up to record his part so after a few weeks of waiting Jay came up with a second verse.

Comments

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    2Pac's "All About U" used to be a Dogg Pound track
    He came outta jail, and took it B)

Same thing with "California Love", he took that one too.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »

California Love was a Dre record.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Read nas was supposed to be on biggies gimme da loot but heard the lyrics, tried to write, told ? he'll be back and in typical nasir Jones fashion never showed back up. So biggie ended up writing and recording the other part himself. I also remember that biggie then wanted to put him on machine gun funk, idk
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    UGK One Day & Murder

Was originally a Mr 3-2 ft ? C track but he didnt think it was good enough for his album (lol)

? took his throwaway for Riding ? . Bun didnt want to do it because he didnt want to rap about vunerable/sensitive subjects but ? convinced him. Lil Keke was lined up to lay a verse if Bun wasnt down.

In return for Bun agreeing he wanted ? to make an uptempo track he could rap his ass off to to showoff his skills. So ? made "Murder" and Bun recorded his verse in one take.

Goat ?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Q-Tip remade the beat for "Jazz (We've Got)" after hearing it at Pete Rock's crib...
    "Pete Rock: Q-Tip came over one day and heard the beat playing and liked it. And I had the records sitting around because I had just made it, so the records were there and he saw what I used. I guess he liked it and went back and tried to re-create it and make it sound just like the way I did it. I had a few more elements in it. I had the same drums and the sample, and he actually did the beat the same way I did it. And he shouted me out [at the end of the song]."

Q- Tip:Yeah and this is what happened. We were at his crib in Mount Vernon and we were all supposed to rhyme over this beat… me, him and Large Professor. He was rockin’ it and I was just like ‘Are we gonna do it?!’ and he was like ‘I don’t know… I don’t know’. So I asked him again ‘Yo what’s up with that beat that ? is hot… yo what’s those records I wanna hook that beat up!’ And he was like ‘Aight ? it’. I was like ‘I’m gonna do that ? and then we can exchange, I’ll give you some ? ’. And he was like ‘Alright, cool’. That was the story… that’s why on it (“We Got The Jazz”) I said ‘Pete Rock for the beat ya don’t stop’. You know… because it was some exchange ? "

Large Pro put Pete on to the horns for "T.R.O.Y"...
    "Q-Tip:I mean it’s the same way Large Professor gave him permission… you know they swapped the records for “T.R.O.Y.”. That was Large Professor.

Large Pro:I remember seeing that Tom Scott [record] and taking a chance on it, and getting it home. I was stuck on that horn loop, though. I would loop that up and be stuck, just listen to that alone and try to filter it. There’s evidence. In the Slick Rick remix, which came out before. There is a little clip of the horn. That horn is from the Tom Scott [record]. It was just that “Troy” blew up so much! Pete just went in on Tom Scott, and I didn’t have any problem with it or anything like that. People knew that I was looping that up, so that’s where it probably came from – a peripheral kind of thing. People were like, “He bit this and that and that.” Pete did everything, he did all the programing, everything."

Love that song
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any truth to bun recording murder in 1 take cuz he was mad they woke him out his sleep? lol
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read nas was supposed to be on biggies gimme da loot but heard the lyrics, tried to write, told ? he'll be back and in typical nasir Jones fashion never showed back up. So biggie ended up writing and recording the other part himself. I also remember that biggie then wanted to put him on machine gun funk, idk

Rap game reminds me of the ? game-nas

Wit your hat ? back talmbout the gats an ? in yo raps-big

Post tha link 2 your statement could sworn Big dissed nas on machinegun
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any truth to bun recording murder in 1 take cuz he was mad they woke him out his sleep? lol

Yea Bun said he was asleep on the floor under some dj boards in the studio or some ? . Spit his verse and went right back to sleep.

There used to be an interview with sway where he tells the story but i just tried to find it and it looks like the Sway youtube page deleted a lot of old interviews :/
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brenda's Got a Baby is based on a real story from a newspaper.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who got the Silkk statement on JD when recording "Moving On"
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GHOSTFACE KILLAH'S IRONMAN ALBUM....
    VOICE SOUNDED WEIRD THROUGHOUT THE ALBUM...
    BC HIS MIC WAS DAMAGED IN RZA'S FLOOD...
  • THE_R_
    Options
    It's Mine By Mobb Deep

Prodigy: I’m sitting in the crib watching the Scarface movie again and I hear that part in the beginning where the boats are coming in from Cuba to Florida and I’m like, ‘? ! Why nobody ever took this part right here? These ? is stupid out here.’

”I ran to the studio again and said, ‘Hurry up son.’ [Havoc] sampled it and ? was like, ‘Oh my ? , these ? did it again" and I was like, ‘Yo man, Nas gotta get on this ? because the ? is too ill. This is one for Nas.’ We called him up and the ? said, ‘Hell yeah.’ ? heard the beat and went crazy. He was like, ‘Yo, this ? is ill right here.’

THIS IS TRUE...
    SCARFACE INSPIRED ALOT OF MOBB BANGERS...
    G.O.D. PT. 3 & WHEN U HEAR THE...
  • THE_R_
    Options
    DMX HAS BEEN DISSING JA RULE SINCE BEFORE HIS DEBUT...
    THAT LEFT TITY ? FROM THE 2ND ALBUM WAS MADE FOR JA...
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goat thread ill contribute later
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    DMX HAS BEEN DISSING JA RULE SINCE BEFORE HIS DEBUT...
    THAT LEFT TITY ? FROM THE 2ND ALBUM WAS MADE FOR JA...

Ja used to be in Jadakiss left ? ?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »

All of All eyes on me was other death row rappers songs, thats how it came out so quick