Lord Jamar: Biggie's Hits were West Coast

Options
Trillaaaaaa
Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    N.O.R.E said something similar (Drink Champs/Puff interview)
    According to Puff that was because he (Puff) was heavily influenced by Dr Dr's The Chronic
    And it had nothing to do with Biggie..
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    N.O.R.E said something similar (Drink Champs/Puff interview)
    According to Puff that was because he (Puff) was heavily influenced by Dr Dr's The Chronic
    And it had nothing to do with Biggie..

This makes sense when you listen to "Machine Gun Funk."

• a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Puff did say that he was influenced by the Chronic and ? ....I thought that Big Poppa had a Westcoast feel, but for the most part those singles were more R&B
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we tryna act like these records didnt use the formula of west coasts artists at the time?

Westcoast cats looped the samples instead of chopping them up, so if thats the formula you're talking about...yea Puff used it...
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He´s actually telling the truth.The beats were straight up west coast.Go listen to the other Mc´s at his time you will see the difference.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I thought this was common knowledge Puff has gone on record basically admitting much
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Yeah there were some records that had the west coast sound. But the majority were east coast sounding. Warning had no g funk influence at all, The What, Everyday Struggle, Party and ? , Me and My ? to name a few.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thought this was common knowledge, that's why Pac said them ? was copying his style, Nas, Jay, and Big are lyricist but they bit Pac's flow

I use to always think that's why Pac was assassinated by the industry, so they could use his flow for monetary gains, think about all the money from products being to the masses through music doing the era after Pac's death
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but when i say this ? im wrong!!?
    when Pac went off about it.. he was hatin!?

? been bitin the WestCoast for decades..
    but we get told we TOO WESTCOAST!

gtfoh..
    im not hatin on Big.. i loved his music.. but it walways tripped me out how after Pac died the westcoast pretty much got blackballed but everything i heard from other regions pretty much sounded like our ? .
    Ol Jay's wrote: »
    thought this was common knowledge, that's why Pac said them ? was copying his style, Nas, Jay, and Big are lyricist but they bit Pac's flow

I use to always think that's why Pac was assassinated by the industry, so they could use his flow for monetary gains, think about all the money from products being to the masses through music doing the era after Pac's death

Yea why don't y'all settle down with this ?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? don't sound west coast bruh

juicy don't sound west coast .......
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    West Coast always thinking someone taking they style and we go over this over and over

the funk came from the South
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont hear it when i think westcoast i think dj quik an i hate that..an pac gang banging an i love that. East coast is like method man...an that poe people music Joey bad ass montone i threw my life away at ten years old ? ..
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I dont hear it when i think westcoast i think dj quik an i hate that..an pac gang banging an i love that. East coast is like method man...an that poe people music Joey bad ass montone i threw my life away at ten years old ? ..

Back in the days west coast beats were more mellow with more R&B type of vibe.East coast is more grimmy.Biggie mashed those two styles in an album.Espeacilly the last one Life after Death.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    post a track that sounds similar to juicy?

What about Mary J Blige and Method Man ....

in the history of hip-hop im sure there are tons of east coast r&B influenced songs
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is talk is senseless because NY invented rap
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    post a track that sounds similar to juicy?

What about Mary J Blige and Method Man ....
    in the history of hip-hop im sure there are tons of east coast r&B influenced songs

We can just use another B.I.G. song, "One More Chance (Remix)" with the DeBarge sample...

"Juicy Fruit" is pop/funk. The keyboardist is the same one from Parliment/Funkadelic...

"Big Poppa" uses "Between The Sheets" by The Isley Brothers with a funky worm added to give it that west coast sound...