Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    What definitely needs to happen in the NFL and NBA is more black ownership and a black commissioner in each league.

How's that working out in Charlotte? Jordan is the greatest player of all time with the biggest shoe deal of all time to this day, and even now he sides with the rest of the franchise owners over players.

Not saying a less-white owned and operated league wouldn't be nice to see, but all they'd do is find a bunch of weak spine having uncle Toms who will play their role in perpetuating the racist status quo.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Where does anybody get the impression that Kaep doesn't want to play anymore? If he didn't wouldn't he just have announced his retirement after last season?

The Seahawks GM confirmed Kaep is ready and focused on playing football

• dnyce215
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Back in the blacks sacrificed for the better good of the race... today we spoiled. Cats put money over everything and won't risk losing that check to stand up for what's right. It's a tough situation cuz u want ur money... but sooner or later u have to stand for something... same ? losing they millions cuz they can't stop smoking weed but won't speak out with their platform on racial injustices cuz they scared to lose that same check. That's some backwards was ? .

I feel what you saying, but like someone else asked "Does Kap even want to play ball anymore?" I think it's a bit much to expect ? to give up the money they feed their families with over poor treatment that he might not even give a ? about anymore. I don't know. The players been showing their support for Kap. Isn't that enough?

Bruh that shows that they are together as one if they stand up even white players included, remember they are a in the same union. They are divided now and the owners know this when CBA is up on 2020. Sherman said they have a chance to change somethings
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    Back in the blacks sacrificed for the better good of the race... today we spoiled. Cats put money over everything and won't risk losing that check to stand up for what's right. It's a tough situation cuz u want ur money... but sooner or later u have to stand for something... same ? losing they millions cuz they can't stop smoking weed but won't speak out with their platform on racial injustices cuz they scared to lose that same check. That's some backwards was ? .

I feel what you saying, but like someone else asked "Does Kap even want to play ball anymore?" I think it's a bit much to expect ? to give up the money they feed their families with over poor treatment that he might not even give a ? about anymore. I don't know. The players been showing their support for Kap. Isn't that enough?

Bruh that shows that they are together as one if they stand up even white players included, remember they are a in the same union. They are divided now and the owners know this when CBA is up on 2020. Sherman said they have a chance to change somethings

Again, I get what you're saying, but it's not as easy a sacrifice as people seem to think. How many of us could just give up our job and go without income for a year? It might be the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and in some cases impossible thing to do. I just feel like in matters like these, people on the outside are way too judgmental and cavalier about other people's livelihood.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Again, I get what you're saying, but it's not as easy a sacrifice as people seem to think. How many of us could just give up our job and go without income for a year? It might be the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and in some cases impossible thing to do. I just feel like in matters like these, people on the outside are way too judgmental and cavalier about other people's livelihood.

? forgot real quick during that lockout a couple years back a good number of players had to take out loans or be fronted money just to get through a couple months. They litetally can't afford to sit out a whole season. You're right. People are way too cavalier with other folks income and telling them what they should do or be willing to go without
  • dnyce215
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

? forgot real quick during that lockout a couple years back a good number of players had to take out loans or be fronted money just to get through a couple months. They litetally can't afford to sit out a whole season. You're right. People are way too cavalier with other folks income and telling them what they should do or be willing to go without

Well it is what is then
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People always making excuses why something can't be done. That's why things don't change. I'm sure there were many who thought slavery would never end too.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

Dudes taking out loans to pay for high life-styles. ? and Bills.

Why would a 1-4 year player need to take out a loan? You accumulated that many bills on a rookie contract? Some don't even get to their 3rd year, so why rookies or those players in this gap are even trying to have a high life-style for them to take out loans?

And ? that are in the league for 5-8 years, are on their second contract, you haven't save up any emergency funds?

If you're in the league that long, you have accumulated enough paper to be str8, if not shame on you, with all this real-estate and investments in this world.

? can afford to sit out a season FOH. ? have to many excuses to do what's right.

That's another issue with these (black) athletes. They make bad spending decisions and are not educated on business opportunities. Most only get through college because they have athletic talent. It speaks to a deeper problem.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think Kap would want players to sit out on his behalf.. he never asked for a cosign throughout his protest
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Smh

Why would a 1-4 year player need to take out a loan? You accumulated that many bills on a rookie contract? Some don't even get to their 3rd year, so why rookies or those players in this gap are even trying to have a high life-style for them to take out loans?

And ? that are in the league for 5-8 years, are on their second contract, you haven't save up any emergency funds?

If you're in the league that long, you have accumulated enough paper to be str8, if not shame on you, with all this real-estate and investments in this world.

? can afford to sit out a season FOH. ? have to many excuses to do what's right.

That's another issue with these (black) athletes. They make bad spending decisions and are not educated on business opportunities. Most only get through college because they have athletic talent. It speaks to a deeper problem.

No doubt, most of it stems from their parents who at most was bad with their spending decisions or just didn't have a lot to spend to begin with.

That cycle has to stop, more financial literacy classes needs to be given to our black youth and stop relying on these schools to teach that information cuz they don't. Classes should be given to our parents also so that they can change their views and ways also.

Assets and Liabilities

But yea, you're right breh. I'd never let anybody else manage (my) money when I could do it myself, that just me.
  • Knock_Twice
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    I dont think Kap would want players to sit out on his behalf.. he never asked for a cosign throughout his protest

True

He didn't ask, but some things shouldn't be asked if we see the same thing happening to ppl that look like us

If you go into Store A, and it's cac owned and their workers, disrespects you and your views/actions/intelligence.

If I look like you, same skin tone/features, why should I continue to support that store? you shouldn't have to ask me to stop going to that store, I've seen how they did you or read about it, I should be on (code) to know that these ppl don't ? wit the ppl that look like me.

I'm just saying.
  • blackrain
    Options
    Smh

Well if its somebody on their rookie contract then you answered your own question. They dont have anything saved. Seriously a rookie ain't made no money yet so who going to support them during a lockout? You? Even for a 2nd or 3rd year player...living still cost money. You still have to train. Who paying for that?
    Vets in the league yeah they should have money saved but like the vast majority of people they don't. 95% of people would be ? if they lost their jobs today because of lack of savings. Having more money don't prevent that. Literally every study backs up and confirms a good portion of pro athletes go broke within a handful of years after retirement. Add in the fact that the average NFL career aint but 3-4 years to begin with and you see why you're hard pressed to find people willing to give up an entire year of income.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

We know a lot of these dudes are stupid with their money. Yes, most of them have made the kind of money that should allow them to sit out for the rest of their lives if need be. But they didn't budget themselves for that and their lifestyles wouldn't support that. And now they are in the position they are in. You know how many of these dudes are damn near broke after they leave sports for a few years.

Again, call it excuse if you want, but when is the last time you gave up your livelihood for a year or more for a cause?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them being broke is an excuse because they shouldn't be.

Just being truthful most these dudes broke while still playing its just that they getting that game check every week so they don't realize it yet.

Most of these dudes couldn't even survive a month of a lockout because they ? their money up that bad. Too many of these dudes is basically living like millionaire welfare recipients.
  • Knock_Twice
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Smh

Well if its somebody on their rookie contract then you answered your own question. They dont have anything saved. Seriously a rookie ain't made no money yet so who going to support them during a lockout? You? Even for a 2nd or 3rd year player...living still cost money. You still have to train. Who paying for that?
    Vets in the league yeah they should have money saved but like the vast majority of people they don't. 95% of people would be ? if they lost their jobs today because of lack of savings. Having more money don't prevent that. Literally every study backs up and confirms a good portion of pro athletes go broke within a handful of years after retirement. Add in the fact that the average NFL career aint but 3-4 years to begin with and you see why you're hard pressed to find people willing to give up an entire year of income.

1. A rookie, is just like a college student, Do they not have parents? Can they not get a job with their degree?, wait, what about the cac institution that they graduated from, they didn't get connects there to help them get a job, I mean they did cheer for buddy, gave hi-five to them kids while they were playing football at the institution, made money off their backs and you mean to tell me, now, for what all they did for that cac institution they can't get them kids a job? Let me ask you this, if the white players, all said that they were not playing in the league, they did their own boycott, how do you think they will manage in life?

2. You making too many excuses breh. Training? really, you need to have a NFL contract to train now? What about the players who are not in the NFL, how do they pay for trainers, better yet, what about the millions of ppl that are not involved in sports, how do they pay for trainers? U see the holes you're leaving in your post breh? Let me ask you this, Do you think the white players that's out of the league, how do they pay for trainers? U think if they boy-cotted for Kap, do you think they would have a hard time finding funds for their training?

3. U making excuses for vets and their spending habits, I couldn't care less, manage your money better is my only take on that. How do you know 95% of ppl would be ? 'd? Where did you get that from, that's just not true breh,
    Are cacs group'd in that 95%?

4. Again with your study data, black players need to better manage their money as I stated, I can't help that most trick off their money and accumulate bills. Do cac players go broke within a handful of years? I mean something is disconnected that cacs don't go broke but we do after playing 11-15 years in the league, So what is it? We at times even make more than the cacs

5, The 3-4 year time frame, I covered that on the rookie contract, why would you lean on a career like that and accumulate bills that you can't afford and have to take out a loan, When ppl that are not playing sports, get jobs that are contractual/not classified/term positions/seasonal, what you think those ppl do and how they manage their money and future?

6. What if all 32 NFL owners came out and said "? all Black players, their ancestors and the ones that are living in this world" Do you think black players should still wanna play, do you think they should be leaning on all these excuses that you are giving them to keep playing, still not boycott? Time to get on code breh.

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What definitely needs to happen in the NFL and NBA is more black ownership and a black commissioner in each league.

How's that working out in Charlotte? Jordan is the greatest player of all time with the biggest shoe deal of all time to this day, and even now he sides with the rest of the franchise owners over players.

Not saying a less-white owned and operated league wouldn't be nice to see, but all they'd do is find a bunch of weak spine having uncle Toms who will play their role in perpetuating the racist status quo.

But people only want to boycott the NFL.
  • Knock_Twice
    Options

All it takes is one

Trust me, the NBA is paying closely attention to this. Best believe they are watching and if the ? hits the fan and does what it should do, the NBA will quickly adjust their outlook.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All it takes is one

Trust me, the NBA is paying closely attention to this. Best believe they are watching and if the ? hits the fan and does what it should do, the NBA will quickly adjust their outlook.

True. If it's a boycott it has to be on all fronts. People want to pick and choose what to boycott so it's at their convenience and comfort.
  • Knock_Twice
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Smh

We know a lot of these dudes are stupid with their money. Yes, most of them have made the kind of money that should allow them to sit out for the rest of their lives if need be. But they didn't budget themselves for that and their lifestyles wouldn't support that. And now they are in the position they are in. You know how many of these dudes are damn near broke after they leave sports for a few years.

Again, call it excuse if you want, but when is the last time you gave up your livelihood for a year or more for a cause?

Them being broke and messing up their food has nothing to do with how I eat. Why get a life-style like that and you know you're not good with money. The blue-print is out there for you to eat forever with the type of money you're making as a veteran. Excuses breh.

A person should put up everyday breh, You or I can walk in a job that we are currently on and they can tell you or I "That we are no longer needed". Then what? I done tricked off my money and not being prepared for that day is their fault? Nah breh.

That's why you prepare for that day as such, invest, save, and stop wasting money and time on silly stuff.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

1. A rookie, is just like a college student, Do they not have parents? Can they not get a job with their degree?, wait, what about the cac institution that they graduated from, they didn't get connects there to help them get a job, I mean they did cheer for buddy, gave hi-five to them kids while they were playing football at the institution, made money off their backs and you mean to tell me, now, for what all they did for that cac institution they can't get them kids a job? Let me ask you this, if the white players, all said that they were not playing in the league, they did their own boycott, how do you think they will manage in life?

2. You making too many excuses breh. Training? really, you need to have a NFL contract to train now? What about the players who are not in the NFL, how do they pay for trainers, better yet, what about the millions of ppl that are not involved in sports, how do they pay for trainers? U see the holes you're leaving in your post breh? Let me ask you this, Do you think the white players that's out of the league, how do they pay for trainers? U think if they boy-cotted for Kap, do you think they would have a hard time finding funds for their training?

3. U making excuses for vets and their spending habits, I couldn't care less, manage your money better is my only take on that. How do you know 95% of ppl would be ? 'd? Where did you get that from, that's just not true breh,
    Are cacs group'd in that 95%?

4. Again with your study data, black players need to better manage their money as I stated, I can't help that most trick off their money and accumulate bills. Do cac players go broke within a handful of years? I mean something is disconnected that cacs don't go broke but we do after playing 11-15 years in the league, So what is it? We at times even make more than the cacs

5, The 3-4 year time frame, I covered that on the rookie contract, why would you lean on a career like that and accumulate bills that you can't afford and have to take out a loan, When ppl that are not playing sports, get jobs that are contractual/not classified/term positions/seasonal, what you think those ppl do and how they manage their money and future?

6. What if all 32 NFL owners came out and said "? all Black players, their ancestors and the ones that are living in this world" Do you think black players should still wanna play, do you think they should be leaning on all these excuses that you are giving them to keep playing, still not boycott? Time to get on code breh.

Actually yes white players are included in that most players are broke within 2-3 after retiring from the NFL.

By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

https://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke
  • blackrain
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Them being broke is an excuse because they shouldn't be.

Just being truthful most these dudes broke while still playing its just that they getting that game check every week so they don't realize it yet.

Most of these dudes couldn't even survive a month of a lockout because they ? their money up that bad. Too many of these dudes is basically living like millionaire welfare recipients.

I said that. Alot of players are living check to check and are broke during the offseason. The same as your average everyday person they don't have enough saved that if something drastic happens they could foot the bill and still be alright. Knowing this I don't get why people are shocked theyre not willingly going without income that isn't even guaranteed. At least in the NBA contracts are guaranteed. NFL contracts can be ended at any time.