FAIZON LOVE SAYS THAT DAVE CHAPPELLE IS THE WACKEST NGA OUT!

Options

Comments

• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chappelle can be funny, but GOAT like some of yall claim?....I dont see it.

Killing them softly and his other stand up from back then were pretty funny. But his Netflix special was trash. Even the audience looked bored.

He took Netflix for millions, cause it looked like he phoned in them performances
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eddie is the GOAT.

Coming to America is the greatest comedy of all forevers! ..
    F*ck it...I'll go as far as to say that its the greatest movie ever created.

but! Chappelle show was Epic and arguably one of the best sketch comedies shows ever in history.
    And you gotta think.. it was Chappelle and maybe 2-3 other dudes.. Ashy Larry and Charlie Murphy....
    so... it was largely driven by Chappelle's greatness.

not a whole family of people like the Wayans.
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chappelle's thing was never movies at best he was always the supporting character his thing was TV

the closest thing to a starring role was Block Party

Half Baked was an ensemble comedy

Screwed was a buddy comedy

he downright stole UnderCover Brother from Eddie Griffin

• Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now with that said...

Eddie Murphy has had a string of terrible movies also as of late.... Im talking TURRIBLE.
    Meet Dave? The Adventures of Pluto Nash? Imagine that?

Norbit was a terrible movie but it was so bad that it was funny
  • lethal5
    Options
    Maybe I'll give Half Baked another chance. I turned it off like a half hour in, it seemed corny & boring
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm late, but ya'll ? trippin with the In Living Color comparison. I remember that ? being funny as hell, but I caught reruns like a decade or so after it went off air and that ? was very hit or miss. Meanwhile a decade later and the Chappelle show is still funny as hell.
  • Moore7s
    Moore7s Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are different kinds of funny.. Chapelle has the ability to talk about social issues in a way that no other current comic can rival. Rock had the same ability but he's not active in stand up at the moment

I think Eddie has the kind of funny that Hart tries to emulate (story telling, impersonations, etc). The difference is Eddie also has written GREAT movies and pioneered the business model everyone else is using now.

They have different contributions but I still think Dave is great.

Faizon usually comes off as a reasonable guy but he's tripping on this one
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lets get a few things clear:

• 1. Chapelle has always been funny as sh*t... " even when he was kicking in doors as a dominos pizza delivery boy"
    on death comedy jam

2. I can agree that Black people on average weren't checking for Chapelle until after the Chapelle show became hugely successful.

*Before then Chris Rock was all the rage and he had black peoples attention.

So While a lot of black comedians were on their " white people do this... and black people do that!.. hahahaha" or something church related like Arnez J or Ricky Smiley, comic view was the black comedians only source of public exposure for the most part.

Chapelle's natural delivery and creative story telling set him apart from other black comedians... it was just a matter of time.

Don't speak that truth, Dave's Dandelions gonna have a fit up in here.

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/RB7A7Yb-QNw

EnVogue on yo show >>>

1) i forgot about the endless crossdressing in ILC. Another strike

2) Questlove/John Mayer on Chapelle >>>>>>> En Vogue on ILC

Dave could take average performers and make them more entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2KOWYS56Y

This ? said John Mayer over 4 fine ass black women

Jim-Halpert-Looks-at-Computer-Shakes-Head.gif

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Eddie mastered standup and moved the ? on.. Mastered movies too..

@TheGOAT the thpe of ? who stands in the project halls all day talkin bout how he be in the projects all day..

when u mention greatest standup show is Chapelle even in the top 10?? top 5 of ALL TIME?? not jus talkin black comics either..

Idk about the movie ? ...I mean the ? went and made Bowfinger...that's just trash lol
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/RB7A7Yb-QNw

EnVogue on yo show >>>

1) i forgot about the endless crossdressing in ILC. Another strike

2) Questlove/John Mayer on Chapelle >>>>>>> En Vogue on ILC

Dave could take average performers and make them more entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2KOWYS56Y

This ? said John Mayer over 4 fine ass black women

Jim-Halpert-Looks-at-Computer-Shakes-Head.gif

Aye, I said the sketch where they had Jamie Foxx in drag singing with them wasn't as funny as Mayer doing the music skit, don't get ? twisted on some BCotton tip.

ebb5774a08d7b84b338e735113e8bb03.320x240x40.gif
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Eddie mastered standup and moved the ? on.. Mastered movies too..

@TheGOAT the thpe of ? who stands in the project halls all day talkin bout how he be in the projects all day..

when u mention greatest standup show is Chapelle even in the top 10?? top 5 of ALL TIME?? not jus talkin black comics either..

Idk about the movie ? ...I mean the ? went and made Bowfinger...that's just trash lol

Hold up! I watched bowfinger on vhs about 8x that's my ?

Kincade!!!!
  • lethal5
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think Chappelle Show got some of y'all gassed into believing Dave is a better stand-up than he really is. He gots alot of stand-up to make you ? a smile...but not alot of ? to make u ? up.

Eddie & Chris Rock have way more ? -up material
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comedy is one of those things thats hard to argue. A persons perference of comedy isnt gonna represent how everyone feels, lots of folks dont laugh at the same ? . You could be in the minority or the majority, but another person cant convince you that something you dont find funny actually is. You laugh or you dont.

Only thing to put on the table is who's more successful and not stealing jokes. And whatever evidence there is.

• Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same cats that say Ain't funny but will turn around and say Kat Williams is funny...

edtc8d3zwhgk.gif
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    I think Chappelle Show got some of y'all gassed into believing Dave is a better stand-up than he really is. He gots alot of stand-up to make you ? a smile...but not alot of ? to make u ? up.

So what are we arguing here, because Dave made his name off the Chapelle show. Faizon was trash-talking the TV show. Eddie and Rock my be the best two stand ups ever, but Dave had arguably the GOAT comedy sketch show.

Everyone has strength/weaknesses. Eddie is the most consistent because he had success in all areas. Dave is a great standup, and had the GOAT comedy show. Rock is arguably the best standup, but his acting career has been garbage to be honest. On SNL he wasn't funny at all, and his movies have always been weak. Then you got a Seinfeld who made a GOAT level sitcom, but wasn't all that funny at standup and never had a movie career.

We can go through the list of comedians through time, and I would say Dave is right up near the top. Not #1, but not overrated either.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No comedian had a run like Eddie in the 80s and early 90s. He got wayyyy to many classic moments in the rafters.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Eddie is dope, Chris Rock probably my favorite stand up comic ever...but you can't sit here and say Dave's "How old is 15 really" bit from For What It's Worth ain't funny as ?
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? all that hate on his Netflix specials

The Age of Spin is the best special from him IMO
  • lethal5
    Options

So what are we arguing here, because Dave made his name off the Chapelle show. Faizon was trash-talking the TV show. Eddie and Rock my be the best two stand ups ever, but Dave had arguably the GOAT comedy sketch show.

Everyone has strength/weaknesses. Eddie is the most consistent because he had success in all areas. Dave is a great standup, and had the GOAT comedy show. Rock is arguably the best standup, but his acting career has been garbage to be honest. On SNL he wasn't funny at all, and his movies have always been weak. Then you got a Seinfeld who made a GOAT level sitcom, but wasn't all that funny at standup and never had a movie career.

We can go through the list of comedians through time, and I would say Dave is right up near the top. Not #1, but not overrated either.

I laid it out pretty simple, im not sure what went over your head.
  • lethal5
    Options

Eddie is dope, Chris Rock probably my favorite stand up comic ever...but you can't sit here and say Dave's "How old is 15 really" bit from For What It's Worth ain't funny as ?

It was a good observation, but i dont know about funny af, (its bit about them girls that got kidnapped right?)
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    <--- jus wanted the 200th post..
  • Beta
    Options

It was a good observation, but i dont know about funny af, (its bit about them girls that got kidnapped right?)

Lol ? no
  • Beta
    Options
    ? y'all ? know about that chubby rain?!.

Chubby-Rain-poster.jpg
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love Dave's show when it was on and some of his stand up's are good but I do think most black people weren't ? with him like that until his show. I never heard him mentioned with the greats or barely at all until his show.

Not to mention I feel Chris Rock is the better comedian to me. But it is kind of not fair to put Dave against guys like Eddie and Chris because they are legends and he is still paving his way.