What is the backstory behind some of your favorite songs?

Options

Comments

• onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    DMX HAS BEEN DISSING JA RULE SINCE BEFORE HIS DEBUT...
    THAT LEFT TITY ? FROM THE 2ND ALBUM WAS MADE FOR JA...

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT IRV GOTTI PRODUCED THIS :sweat_smile:

https://youtu.be/zYVsJYGOBS0

Dope story
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C-Murder - Down 4 My ?

KLC made this beat and originally offered it to Silkk. Silkk laughed and said "call me back when you got a hit." Cee heard it, wrote his verse and called Magic to get on it.

From there, Snoop showed up to the studio with Tha Eastsidaz and when KL played the track they all started C-Walking and begging Snoop to get on it. Snoop's original version was going at Death Row (this song was recorded in March of '99 so The Chronic 2000 and Death Row's Snoop smear campaign were in full swing). Snoop's entourage said the verse was "too much" so he ended up writing the verse we hear to this day.

I was about to do this one, KL called Snoop he said and told him that he would have the hardest song on his album, Snoop was like nah nephew, Dre got some bangers, but KL was like nah, I got the hardest one and he stated that Snoop went all in on the song, like you stated, the original one had to be scratch. Snoop was proud that he finally had a song he could perform down south.

This was another good interview, these dudes asked all the right questions. KL really put it all out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqasZNvVlg&t=2977s
  • OGDirtyDee
    OGDirtyDee Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TI- Top Back

That was Juvenile's song but Juvie didn't like all the horns/bells that Fresh put into the chorus part. Juvie clowned the beat so TI was in the studio was like "shid I'd rap over it"

At the beginning of that song, you hear TI state "Fresh let me show these ? what to do with one of your beats man"

That's where that line stems from, him and Juvie getting into it about the track.

Also, just a note, Baby passed up on T.I. when T.I got outta that LaFace deal (I may have the record label wrong) but after the I'm Serious album, Fresh pushed hard for Baby to sign T.I. but Baby didn't see it.

This is a really good interview, These cats really asked the right questions that we all wanted to know the answers to

He even played a track from off The Carter 5 and a track from Lloyd I wanna say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8bp1gNXVU

did juvie ever say something about it?
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Craig Mack was stubborn as ? , and they damn near had to beg him to do Flava In Ya Ear...which was the last track he recorded for his first album and easily the biggest song of his career

Side note: Bobby Brown basically has the same backstory for the song My Perogitive...Teddy Riley basically begged him to record it after he initially stormed outta the studio when he heard the instrumental
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T.I. - What You Know
    DJ Toomp: “A few people had 'What You Know' before T.I. did. First Benzino and then Baby from Cash Money made a song to it. But after T.I. did it, I had to call everybody and be like, 'This track is not available anymore.' Some people took it kind of hard, but at the end of the day they had to basically commend me. They were like, 'We wouldn’t have been able to do what this song did. We’re glad that you let T.I. get this record.'

“I use to always go through the crates and just listen to a lot of ol’ skool records. Some of the end-parts of a lot of those records from the 70s be the most musical part with the most feeling. . A lot of joints that I’ve actually sampled is usually the end part. On Mariah Carey’s 'Stay With Me,' I used the DeBarge record, and that was the end part of the song. I did the same with Jay-Z’s 'Say Hello.'

“So around this time, I had always liked the end part of that song 'Gone Away' by Roberta Flack. But it really didn’t come out too cool when I tried to sample it for 'What You Know,' so me and my engineer at the time, this guy name Wonder, we played the melody and we put it together and he played some of the instruments on there to help me pull out some of the synthesizers. Once I put the beat on it and just really started arranging it and really hooking it up, making it thorough, I started moving it around.

“It came together nicely. When I played it for Tip I remember he came up with the hook in like ten minutes. People would walk into the room and just when they heard the hook, they knew it was out of here. I mean, no verse or nothing, just the hook alone, had them like, 'Oh my ? , it’s gone. It’s a smash.'

“Till this day, 'What You Know' and 'Good Life' are two of my biggest records. Kanye won a Grammy off 'Good Life,' and I won a Grammy off 'What You Know' also. I would say both records are neck and neck as far as success.

“I remember when 'What You Know' first came out, DJ Khaled called me from Miami and was like, 'Yo, you guys got a smash! I want you to listen to this crowd man when I drop this record and watch what they do.' He dropped that ? and everybody went crazy. He was like, 'Man you got one, I’m telling you, you got one.' He was excited, it was like he was almost about to say, 'Yo man, we the best!'

“It was also wild because I had the pressure put on me. Craig Kallman and Mike Caren were like, 'Hey, we doing this ATL movie too and we need a big record— something big and crazy!' and that’s what we came with. I delivered.”

Kanye - Big Brother
    DJ Toomp: “'Big Brother' wasn’t just the last song on the Graduation album: it was the last song me and Kanye recorded and the last song he mixed. While working in the studio, I remember Ye kept on telling me about a hook and a concept, and he kept saying, 'I got this thing called ‘Big Brother’ and it’s supposed to be a song where I’m talking to Jay. I need [a beat] with some real feel in it.'

“I’ve always been a fan of Prince. And that song, 'It’s Gonna be Lonely' is one of my favorite Prince songs. I use to always love the end part of it. So what I did was replay that part of the song, after Ye told me what he wanted. I took it to the lab and made 'Big Brother' in one day.

“When I played it, it was some A&Rs from Def Jam in the studio and everybody was just like, 'Wow, that’s incredible.' Ye looked at me and was like, 'Damn dude, you just did that?' And I said, 'Yea, I did that today. Strictly for you.' So he rapped over it.

“I then came up to New York to mix the record. But by the time I got there, Prince said me and Ye couldn’t use his music. Then later he decided to let us use it, but he said he wanted one hundred percent of it— he didn’t want us to have any publishing.

“I looked at Ye and was like, 'Man, honestly you can do shows…but I eat off of publishing. I’m not about to have that man taking all my publishing.'

“Crazy thing is, I didn’t bring the particular laptop I would’ve needed to New York, because I thought that the song would have been cleared. So I had to fly back to Atlanta to not only get my computer, but remake the entire record. I had to move some notes around and come up with my own melody.

“So I flew down to Atlanta for just a few hours, and right when I was done remaking the record, I left right out of my studio and went straight to the airport. I didn’t even have time to see anyone when I came home—I remade the beat and headed back to New York. I never panicked. That’s the last ? I would do. But there was some pressure.

“When I got back to New York, Ye synced the vocals back up with the track, and it was the same magic. Everybody was like, 'Man, you didn’t miss a beat. That ? is incredible, let’s go.'

“I was there when Jay-Z first heard 'Big Brother.' Ye wanted him to hear it before it was finished just to make sure he would approve it. Ye was speaking of Jay on that record but at the same time he was like, 'Let me let him hear this to make sure that it’s cool—so he won’t feel like I’m talking bad about him on the record.'

“Ye had been told Jay about the record, but when Jay finally heard it, it was like a little quiet moment in the studio. In the studio it was just me, Ye, Jay, and Jay Brown. It was an emotional moment. I mean, it wasn’t no tearjerker moment, but it was like, 'Damn bro, that’s how you feel?' It was love. It wasn’t too much said at all, it was just a quiet moment. I mean Jay is good at not showing emotion, he done mastered that ? . I don’t know who he learned that from but he’s good. But when he heard 'Big Brother' he was just like, 'Yea man, that ? ’s right.'”
  • lethal5
    Options
    LL didnt want Master P on 4321, i think he said it was the labels idea
  • lethal5
    edited August 2017
    Options
    LL originally didnt want Leshaun in the video or to perform the song "Doin It" with him live in concert. She had just had a baby, and apparently Uncle L thought she was too fat. She wasnt in the video, and i remember he had some other fine ass chick perform it with him at the mtv awards.

Kinda messed up when u consider it was originally her song
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »

He aint want no wack ass Ugghh moaning on his ?
  • chgarcia345
    chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NOTORIOUS THUGS

BONE thugs came through to where big was at and basically one taked it and killed the track. Got hella high and passed out.
    Big didnt want to get murdered on his own ? so he took the beat home and made the classic verse by himself
  • lethal5
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

He aint want no wack ass Ugghh moaning on his ?

In a nutshell, thats my opinion too, lol
  • lethal5
    Options

THAT VERSE WAS MAD ? & OUT OF PLACE. TRACK HAD NOTHING BUT SPITTERS.

THATS LIKE BIRDMAN JUMPING ON ? DONE STARTED SOMETHIN.

Yup, I thought master p was outta place on that song from the jump. You could tell that move had marketing strategy written all over it. Master p was the so called hot ? at the time. Whoevers decision that was, just wanted heads un the south to pay attention to the track.

*I'm sure theres also audio of cool j saying he didn't want P on the song. I think i remember him saying "that was them Track master ? idea"....even though they didnt produce that song, erick setmon did. I think the audio came from when LL & Canibus were beefing, and canibus recorded a convo of him with LL and LL asking him not too release 2nd round ko.

• lethal5
    Options
    Just Don't Bite It is a classic song by NWA, but according to Dj Yella, it originally had a totally different beat based on a Herbie Hancock sample.....Not only was the original beat not cleared, but Herbie called NWA himself and told them NOT to use the beat, lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Toomp a legend

I don't care that heavily for what u know but thank goodness benzino didn't get it :# :# :#
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you blame him...top 10 out of place feature in hip hop history
  • lethal5
    Options

Damn son, that could be a thread topic all by itself " hip hops most out of place features"...that should do numbers, u should run with that
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Craig Mack was stubborn as ? , and they damn near had to beg him to do Flava In Ya Ear...which was the last track he recorded for his first album and easily the biggest song of his career

Side note: Bobby Brown basically has the same backstory for the song My Perogitive...Teddy Riley basically begged him to record it after he initially stormed outta the studio when he heard the instrumental

Flava In Ya Ear was given to a different artist but that artist turned it down. I don't remember who.
  • lethal5
    Options
    Rza said ? didnt wanna do "All I Need" and he talked him into it because ? wanted to stay a "grung/grimey" type rapper, and he felt that song would be too commercial of a move
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Damn son, that could be a thread topic all by itself " hip hops most out of place features"...that should do numbers, u should run with that

I never started a thread..u can run w it if u want..pretty sure it will be a bunch of out of coast artist on other coast music
  • lethal5
    Options
    Killah Priest told a story that he had sampled Al Green, but Al denied him sample clearance, probably cause Al is an ordained church minister and he wasnt bout to give sample clearance to a guy named "? -a-Priest"
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not a song but an album cover. George Clinton said his brother was a junkie. Got high and went missing. When he was found weeks later authorities told him decomposition had occurred and " Maggots for Brains" thus the album titled: Maggot Brain. Said it on Snoops GGN episode.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kicked it with Lord's of The Underground @ Sensations in Newark many moons ago. Particularly Do it all. I was with Naughty as a guest and all was love. Told me they HATED Das Efx! Ripped off their whole style and that Sewer video was a shot at DAS.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Da Mystery of Chessboxin

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pJk0p-98Xzc

A bunch of emcees auditioned for the last spot on the song, Masta Killa spit his verse and Rza liked his verse the best so the rest is history.