Cliff notes before people go off and don't understand what he's saying
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They kinda misunderstood him there.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not wrong. There have been artist who's images have been manufactured not just to be gangsters, but sex symbols, and\or clean cut etc. It's a business. We all know this takes place not just in Hip Hop but every other genre of music. But instead of making random ? statements name names. His statement implies that all 90's artists aren't genuine. When in fact many of the most famous from that era have credibility and do in fact come from some of the most notorious neighborhoods in America.
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This should be good.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yea

...in before someone says they never heard a chance the rapper song
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its true and it was a gimmick in the 90s. People like "Boss" "Vanilla Ice" were exposed for lying about their past, and even to a lesser extent "Ice Cube" "Dr Dre" were called fake. On the flipside it created the "when keeping it real goes wrong mentality" to where you had underground rappers getting indicted and incriminating themselves for rapping about active investigations
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "? kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood ? . But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

The same can be said of today's rappers prancing around like chi chi men, having a token white in their camp, and be this diverse, vegetarian, skate boarding I listen the Beatles, linkin park muffacah..

There will always be artists who are TOLD to appeal to a certain demographic. But again making random statements and then crediting artists for ? they were 1000th in line to do is fucc ? .
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Its true and it was a gimmick in the 90s. People like "Boss" "Vanilla Ice" were exposed for lying about their past, and even to a lesser extent "Ice Cube" "Dr Dre" were called fake. On the flipside it created the "when keeping it real goes wrong mentality" to where you had underground rappers getting indicted and incriminating themselves for rapping about active investigations

That's two artist neither of which were taken seriously. And in Vanilla ice's case he was being clowned well before mainstream media decided to expose him.

In both Cube and Dre's case did they embellish? Perhaps.

What we do know is, they grew up in neighborhoods where everything they spoke about in their music was truth. More importantly it was just as true to Blacks across America who grew up under similar circumstances. Also, being a fan I never thought Cube or Dre were REAL gangters. They were very, very good artists who were able to capture the essence and truth of there communities and they personified these things in their music.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could say that about every era in hip hop. But maybe it was more common in the 90s because NWA brought "gangster rap" to the mainstream and that was the popular sub genre of rap at the time.

Crunk era had their fair share of fake gangsters.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    You could say that about every era in hip hop. But maybe it was more common in the 90s because NWA brought "gangster rap" to the mainstream and that was the popular sub genre of rap at the time.

Crunk era had their fair share of fake gangsters.

There's some truth here. But the question becomes how many of these artists were artists who weren't active in gang banging, participated in gang banging or came from neighborhoods that were usually more of a challenge to grow up in?
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? that
    And ? him

lol
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    all rappers are fabricated of course they put their best foot forward

you see them with all the women,cars and manchines and they barely got their first 360 deal..

They are the biggest pimps they don't show when they get rejected by that ugly girl

when their friends turn on them, when they got punked by a midget, beat up by some feminine dude ..

when they got jacked for some weed and money by their freinds .. getting chumped by them gangsta black kids that look up to the rappers he criticize .....

No basically they make him look perfect like he wouldn't hurt a fly cuz that's what's popular now

He doesn't make mistakes he is mr. perfect ... they girls cheer his name out ... he is considered super kool ...

that's more fabricated cuz you don't really here dirt on him

atleast other rappers you see they got humble by being beat up on video clip .. you see them get clowed and banned from cities .... you see them get punked ..... shot .... black balled ... for being themselves ... get chocked and thrown around ... I don't like to see that but atleast it shows that life is real and rappers are vulnerable

in other words you don't always see rappers looking perfect you see them messed up getting shunned taking L's in beefs and bouncing back like Meek ... ? like that makes the rap game more realistic.

The 90's rappers don't talk about them cuz most people don't have the courage to carry themselves like the 90's rappers. Yeah they talked ? they could never do but the point was they was ? that's not fabricated

Don't not 1 rapper live everything he says or his raps would be boring, your job is to entertain but them 90's rappers were bout that life ... stop thinking they are fabricated just cuz they didn't act out every rhyme

yes they were gangsta but no one can out gangsta the streets if they did they would be dead in a year they have rap careers to live for they have to take care of themselves .... Rap helped them so they wouldn't end up dead the love to rhyme you can't rap if your dead or in prison ...
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HE SHOULD HELP HIS BROTHER EAT ?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't say a lot of them weren't from the hood but you did see a lot of fake bloods and crips claiming because it was cool.
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    Crip and Bloods got so big who's to say who is real or fake tho?

Not everybody could be parts of the original sets ... sometimes you considered a member cuz your from a hood that is blood or crip ....

How many innocent people got shot being around the wrong people

Now that you say that name some names not just general statements?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "? kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood ? . But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

i can get with that and lets lose the 90's mentality. the 90's are the new70's
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    SELASI_i wrote: »

That's two artist neither of which were taken seriously. And in Vanilla ice's case he was being clowned well before mainstream media decided to expose him.

In both Cube and Dre's case did they embellish? Perhaps.

What we do know is, they grew up in neighborhoods where everything they spoke about in their music was truth. More importantly it was just as true to Blacks across America who grew up under similar circumstances. Also, being a fan I never thought Cube or Dre were REAL gangters. They were very, very good artists who were able to capture the essence and truth of there communities and they personified these things in their music.

Those were just general examples but what is a real gangster? That definition is relative. Boss the female rapper was taken serious up until she was exposed too.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Base off Vlad interviews, it's seems like them 90s ? really got busy. Imo the fabrication really started with the Bling Bling era.