Options

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn kanye the first name he could come up with?
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's generalizing. While they may not have been killing ? they were really from that sect of life.

These days we dont even know what these ? talking about cept that its violent and drugs. Groups like the Migos come from Gwinnett where yeah there are tough people out there, but thats because they want to be not because they were raised like that. Like kids in Stone Mountain with two parents and a nice house selling drugs and carrying guns, they fabricate their life and their music career. Not to mention the sheer ignorance that rappers exude today vs. the clarity and story telling of back then.

Rappers were a lot more hungry in the 90's, and its impossible to know all the dirt they did because they werent going live on Facebook.

Everything about rappers today is fraudulent, incoherent and truncated versions of what they think they are supposed to be. Chance and Tyler the Creator and other ? like them may be unique but they are the minority.

We had Tribe, Kast, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Brand Nubian, not to mention all the commercial rappers who were just on some good time ? ...

Is it possible that people in general were just a lot tougher in the 90s and that being yourself was embracing the street element? Just like in basketball, Michael Jordan would still dominate in today's league because he had a warrior mindset, a go hard or go home mentality that is missing in most of the young, and that ? was from the burbs of Carolina from a good family...

? these days just more soft and concerned about their image, its not that people back then were afraid to be themselves, they just had different priorities.

"Those were the days. And you knew who you were then. Girls were girls and men were men"
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Cliff notes before people go off and don't understand what he's saying

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "? kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood ? . But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

He right... u got drake wale ColeKendrick all different types of emotional ? who don't fit the 90s gangsta ingnant ? . U had exceptions back then but if u were perceived as soft it was an issue
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    90's was really dangerous.the ? ? of the ? were more gangster than than gangsters now.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He just soft an a lgb fan bisexual men at least had the decency of keepin in the closet..chance was at a club back room sucking ? at the in the back room while we was on molly
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im listening to his rap they really don't have much of a point

he just spits whatever
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In b4 this become a "back in my day" thread
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In b4 this become a "back in my day" thread

Too Late
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Base off Vlad interviews, it's seems like them 90s ? really got busy. Imo the fabrication really started with the Bling Bling era.

Nah there was alot of ? in the 90's who rapped about street ? that had never been in the streets a day in their life, but because it was selling that's what they went with. Yeah there were some ? who really were dope boys or gangsta ? turned rappers, but there was plenty who were just making up what they rapped about or talking about ? they grew up around and not actually their own lives.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see where he was going with this
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The #1 issue with my generation is their lack of knowledge of the past. Chance is showing this issue with his point of view. You had the whole ? Zulu Nation movement back in the 90s. Sure many rappers were under a phony image. However you had conscious afrocentric rap back then.

? Kanye would have never been Kanye without Q-Tip who infamously stars Low End Theory about how ? goes in cycles. While i have liked chances music he has really started to get on my nerves with his modern persona. First he bullied mtv to remove an unfavorable concert review. Then he tries to make himself out to be "indy" when apple is giving him the bag (see @GetoBoy i do call out apple music). Now this ? is making blanket statements about the 90s and Kanye post 90s not knowing afrocentric rap from that era inspired Kanye.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The #1 issue with my generation is their lack of knowledge of the past. Chance is showing this issue with his point of view. You had the whole ? Zulu Nation movement back in the 90s. Sure many rappers were under a phony image. However you had conscious afrocentric rap back then.

? Kanye would have never been Kanye without Q-Tip who infamously stars Low End Theory about how ? goes in cycles. While i have liked chances music he has really started to get on my nerves with his modern persona. First he bullied mtv to remove an unfavorable concert review. Then he tries to make himself out to be "indy" when apple is giving him the bag (see @GetoBoy i do call out apple music). Now this ? is making blanket statements about the 90s and Kanye post 90s not knowing afrocentric rap from that era inspired Kanye.

Exactly... Chance The Rapper act like he innovative a new wheel cycle in Hip Hop ... But the more he talks and his actions confirms that he is an industry plant... Justice League & Spike Lee Exposes him already and there will be more at his neck now...

Lacrae created Chance The Rapper Lane that Chance The Rapper used he needs to pay Homage to him not Kanye West
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got no problem with what he said. People acing like rappers in the 90s weren't saying the same thing about other rappers in the 90s. I'd question what he's basing his perspective on given he wasn't around in the 90s, but that doesn't make what he said wrong.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who's the 1st 90's rapper that came to mind ??
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cliff notes before people go off and don't understand what he's saying

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "? kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood ? . But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

i can get with that and lets lose the 90's mentality. the 90's are the new70's

Naw the 90's are to Hip Hop and the Urban Community what the 60's were to the Rock and Roll White bread community. Musically bth era represented a baseline for everything after to be measured against...
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's generalizing.
    This right here. I don't really listen to 90's babies anyway because some like to talk about things when they were less than 5 years old at the time.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Born in 93 lost respect for this ? as a human being
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yea

...in before someone says they never heard a chance the rapper song

I've never heard one.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got no problem with what he said. People acing like rappers in the 90s weren't saying the same thing about other rappers in the 90s. I'd question what he's basing his perspective on given he wasn't around in the 90s, but that doesn't make what he said wrong.

I was born in 1990. But i ? researched and listened to ? from the 90s. I don't know every artist from the era but grew up understanding what the afrocentric themes from the 90s were like. If you become a lawyer you learn about case studies and history of law. If you become a doctor you learn the history of science. If chance can't even understand the powerful diversity of popular rap in the 90s he doesn't get a pass for understanding the basic afrocentric theme of 90s rap.

The ? chance is supposed to be well educated and comes from a political family from Chicago. He can't have this label of coming from such greatness and smarts and not know the simple fact that tribe and de la soul are the reason kanye is who he is. How the flying ? does he not know common since existed in the same town he grew up in? A dumb mumble rapper gets a pass. Chance can't play dumb.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always said Kanye was the father that made it cool to come in the game on some non gangsta stuff.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    who's the 1st 90's rapper that came to mind ??

For me Biggie...