White Supremacist rally in Charlottesville

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/massachusetts-cop-charlottesville-crash
    Massachusetts Cop On Charlottesville Car Crash: ‘Hahahaha Love This’

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts police department is investigating a Facebook comment by an officer who wrote “Hahahaha love this” in response to a story about a car crashing into counter-protesters at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one person and injuring at least 19 others.

Springfield Police Commissioner John Barbieri says he received a complaint about the comment Sunday and opened an internal investigation.

Officer Conrad Lariviere wrote in response to the violence: “Hahahaha love this, maybe people shouldn’t block road ways.”

In a Facebook interview with Masslive.com, Lariviere says he’s a “good man who made a stupid comment.”

Democratic Mayor Domenic Sarno says: “There is no place for this in our society, let alone from a Springfield Police Officer.”

An Ohio man is charged with second-degree murder and other counts over the crash.

But.. but.. "Good" cops tho...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/14/hahahaha-love-this-police-officer-accused-of-mocking-charlottesville-violence/?utm_term=.768b749595fe
    Police officers in two states accused of mocking Charlottesville violence

After the weekend unrest in Virginia, police officers in two separate states are under investigation over social media posts that allegedly mocked the violence at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville.

Officers with the Shively Police Department in Kentucky and Springfield Police Department in Massachusetts allegedly made fun of a fatal car crash that occurred during a rally Saturday in which hundreds of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux ? members clashed with counterprotesters. Heather D. Heyer, 32, of Charlottesville was killed and many others were wounded in the attack.

In Massachusetts, Springfield Police Commissioner John Barbieri said he received a complaint Sunday about a Facebook comment reportedly made by a Springfield police officer. MassLive.com reported that Facebook user Conrad Lariviere commented on a post about the crash, writing: “Hahahaha love this, maybe people shouldn’t block roads.”

In the post, Lariviere also responded to another commenter who had apparently criticized him for his controversial remarks, according to MassLive.com.

“I’ve been hit by a s—bag with warrants but who cares right you ignorant brat live in a fantasy land with the rest of America while I deal with the real danger,” he wrote, according to news site.

Police confirmed to The Washington Post that Officer Lariviere has been reassigned during the investigation.

“If in fact this post did originate from an officer employed with the Springfield Police Department,” the police commissioner said, “this matter will be reviewed by the Community Police Hearings Board for further action.”

“Unbelievable!” Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno said Sunday in a statement. “There is no place for this in our society, let alone from a Springfield Police Officer.”

In Kentucky, Shively Police Lt. Col. Josh Myers told The Post that Officer Morris Rinehardt has been placed on administrative leave during an investigation into a meme posted on Facebook.

The Courier-Journal reported that Rinehardt posted a meme over the weekend depicting the damaged vehicle. It apparently read: “When you were born a Challenger but identify as a Ram.”

In another Facebook post jokingly advertising the sale of the vehicle, the Kentucky police officer reportedly commented, “Minor front end damage. Nothing serious,” according to the newspaper. However, authorities at either police department have not confirmed the details about the posts.

Phone numbers listed for both officers did not appear to be current.

But in a Facebook conversation with MassLive, Lariviere, with the Massachusetts police department, apologized for “a stupid comment about people blocking streets.”

“Never would I want someone to get murdered. I am not a racist and don’t believe in what any of those protesters are doing,” he told the news site. “I’m a good man who made a stupid comment and would just like to be left alone.”

Sarno, the Springfield mayor, said that the officer’s actions were not a “reflection of our men and women in blue, who serve with honor, courage and compassion.”

“If these individuals do not learn from, understand and represent the meaning of mutual respect, my strong suggestion would be a different career path,” the mayor said in a statement. “I stand by and commend Commissioner John Barbieri’s steps for a thorough internal investigation and review by our Community Police Hearing Board to pursue the appropriate discipline against said officer.”

Just a few bad apples tho...
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    So they planning on doing a rally on 9/11 at texas am??? Wonder if all these "patriotic" ass cacs will be outraged at hate speech going on on 9/11? Cause we all kno if blm was gonna do one on that day...

http://www.thebatt.com/news/texas-a-m-cancels-white-lives-matter-protest-on/article_17aee672-813f-11e7-a216-8bad20687443.html

Texas A&M just canceled it...

Welp nevermind lol props to a&m for realizing that ? was a horrible ? idea
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/massachusetts-cop-charlottesville-crash
    Massachusetts Cop On Charlottesville Car Crash: ‘Hahahaha Love This’

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts police department is investigating a Facebook comment by an officer who wrote “Hahahaha love this” in response to a story about a car crashing into counter-protesters at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one person and injuring at least 19 others.

Springfield Police Commissioner John Barbieri says he received a complaint about the comment Sunday and opened an internal investigation.

Officer Conrad Lariviere wrote in response to the violence: “Hahahaha love this, maybe people shouldn’t block road ways.”

In a Facebook interview with Masslive.com, Lariviere says he’s a “good man who made a stupid comment.”

Democratic Mayor Domenic Sarno says: “There is no place for this in our society, let alone from a Springfield Police Officer.”

An Ohio man is charged with second-degree murder and other counts over the crash.

But.. but.. "Good" cops tho...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/14/hahahaha-love-this-police-officer-accused-of-mocking-charlottesville-violence/?utm_term=.768b749595fe
    Police officers in two states accused of mocking Charlottesville violence

After the weekend unrest in Virginia, police officers in two separate states are under investigation over social media posts that allegedly mocked the violence at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville.

Officers with the Shively Police Department in Kentucky and Springfield Police Department in Massachusetts allegedly made fun of a fatal car crash that occurred during a rally Saturday in which hundreds of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux ? members clashed with counterprotesters. Heather D. Heyer, 32, of Charlottesville was killed and many others were wounded in the attack.

In Massachusetts, Springfield Police Commissioner John Barbieri said he received a complaint Sunday about a Facebook comment reportedly made by a Springfield police officer. MassLive.com reported that Facebook user Conrad Lariviere commented on a post about the crash, writing: “Hahahaha love this, maybe people shouldn’t block roads.”

In the post, Lariviere also responded to another commenter who had apparently criticized him for his controversial remarks, according to MassLive.com.

“I’ve been hit by a s—bag with warrants but who cares right you ignorant brat live in a fantasy land with the rest of America while I deal with the real danger,” he wrote, according to news site.

Police confirmed to The Washington Post that Officer Lariviere has been reassigned during the investigation.

“If in fact this post did originate from an officer employed with the Springfield Police Department,” the police commissioner said, “this matter will be reviewed by the Community Police Hearings Board for further action.”

“Unbelievable!” Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno said Sunday in a statement. “There is no place for this in our society, let alone from a Springfield Police Officer.”

In Kentucky, Shively Police Lt. Col. Josh Myers told The Post that Officer Morris Rinehardt has been placed on administrative leave during an investigation into a meme posted on Facebook.

The Courier-Journal reported that Rinehardt posted a meme over the weekend depicting the damaged vehicle. It apparently read: “When you were born a Challenger but identify as a Ram.”

In another Facebook post jokingly advertising the sale of the vehicle, the Kentucky police officer reportedly commented, “Minor front end damage. Nothing serious,” according to the newspaper. However, authorities at either police department have not confirmed the details about the posts.

Phone numbers listed for both officers did not appear to be current.

But in a Facebook conversation with MassLive, Lariviere, with the Massachusetts police department, apologized for “a stupid comment about people blocking streets.”

“Never would I want someone to get murdered. I am not a racist and don’t believe in what any of those protesters are doing,” he told the news site. “I’m a good man who made a stupid comment and would just like to be left alone.”

Sarno, the Springfield mayor, said that the officer’s actions were not a “reflection of our men and women in blue, who serve with honor, courage and compassion.”

“If these individuals do not learn from, understand and represent the meaning of mutual respect, my strong suggestion would be a different career path,” the mayor said in a statement. “I stand by and commend Commissioner John Barbieri’s steps for a thorough internal investigation and review by our Community Police Hearing Board to pursue the appropriate discipline against said officer.”

Just a few bad apples tho...

I want the dirt on the 2 dead cops...
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Social Media sure makes people stupid
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/protesters-damage-confederate-statue-in-atlanta/
    Protesters damage Confederate statue in Atlanta

ATLANTA — Protesters spray-painted and broke a chunk off a statue depicting a Confederate soldier at an Atlanta park Sunday after they marched through the city to protest the weekend violence in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The statue, in the city's Piedmont Park, depicts a winged angel standing over a Confederate soldier.

Images from CBS affiliate WGCL show red spray paint covering much of the monument following the demonstration.

The Atlanta protest was among several around the nation over the weekend that were organized after a chaotic white supremacist rally in Virginia ended with deadly violence.

atlanta-statue.jpg

giphy.gif

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    so whats the tally?

3 dead crackers..
    1 in jail..

not one dead ? ? not one ? in jail??

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.. keep the party going!! lmmfao

1 ? got his ass whooped and I think a few were injured by the car, but other than that we came looking clean.
    Cain wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »
    so whats the tally?

3 dead crackers..
    1 in jail..

not one dead ? ? not one ? in jail??

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.. keep the party going!! lmmfao
    You ain't lying. This is the ? you just sit back in the cut and watch like a movie while you eat snacks lol.

and not to mention..
    two of them dead ? were POLICE!!?!?

and ? in here mad!!? smmfh

I don't wish death on nobody but the cops death have not really been talked about. I felt sorry for the white broad getting killed though. I agree with you though on the so back and watch this play out. If some do called woke CAC won't to get ran over and beat up for the cause cool and a bunch of Naxi and KKK ? dying as well. I'm not going to be outraged over it.

I will feel for their families tho

that house ? had no business bein there..
    his fault..

and i dont wish death on no one either but im numb to it..
    not due to the media either.. iv been numb to death for years now..

but this is the type of ? i said would happen America is bein destroyed from within..
    they have nothin left to feed on but themselves..

? aint about that life i dont care how tuff they talk on here orelse they wouldve been bucked.. the monster has to be fed tho.. and now its feedin on itself..

im good wit that..
    let this ? destroy itself and we build from that..
    its gonna get a whole lot worse.. but it has to in order for it to get better..

I can understand your reasoning for not thinking black people should be out there. But I'm not understanding the whole "house ? " ? . It's not like they were out there bootlicking. They were out there going to war with Nazis. Since when is battling racists house ? ? ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/confederate-statue-kentucky.html?mtrref=undefined&gwh=E9C6ACBAB1DC9EBCA3B6887B973F7C32&gwt=pay
    State Leaders Call for Confederate Monuments to Be Removed

Officials in several states are calling for the removal of public monuments that have become controversial symbols of the Confederacy, driven by the national outcry over the violence in Charlottesville, Va., that erupted on Saturday during a protest organized by white nationalists.

In Nashville on Monday, protesters at the state Capitol demanded the removal of a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest that sits between the Statehouse and Senate chambers, The Tennessean reported. Forrest, a Confederate general and KKK leader, was involved in an 1864 massacre of black soldiers.

Top Tennessee Democrats asked for its removal in 2015. But the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act, passed in 2016, has made the process more difficult.

Nashville is also home to another statue of Forrest that has been described as “terrifying,” with eyes that glow “like a flesh-eating zombie on bath salts,” as a Washington Post reporter once wrote. Despite efforts to remove it, the statue still stands.

Anna Lopez Brosche, president of the Jacksonville City Council in Florida, said in a statement on Monday that she is asking the city to take an inventory of all Confederate symbols on public property, and to “develop an appropriate plan of action” to relocate them to places like museums and education institutions.

“It is important to never forget the history of our great city; and, these monuments, memorials, and markers represent a time in our history that caused pain to so many,” she said Monday.

In Maryland, a statue of the former Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney, which sits in front of the Statehouse, has drawn ire. Michael E. Busch the House speaker, told The Baltimore Sun on Monday that “it’s the appropriate time to remove it.” Taney is best known for ruling against Dred Scott in 1857, decreeing that blacks couldn’t claim United States citizenship, and therefore couldn’t sue in federal court.

Mayor Jim Gray of Lexington, Ky., said in a statement on Saturday that plans to move two statues of Confederate figures from the grounds of the former courthouse there were in place before the violence in Charlottesville, in which a 32-year-old woman was killed and at least 34 others were injured. He said what happened there “accelerated the announcement I intended to make next week.”

“We have thoroughly examined this issue, and heard from many of our citizens,” he said.

The statues in question are of John Hunt Morgan, a Confederate general, and John C. Breckinridge, the 14th vice president of the United States who also served as the Confederate secretary of war.

The former courthouse, which has not been used for several years, is scheduled to reopen as a visitors center next year. The proposal under consideration would move the statues to a city park, Veterans Park, according to The Lexington Herald-Leader.

Mr. Gray said the next step was to ask the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council to support a petition to the Kentucky Military Heritage Commission, which he said was a required step in the process. “Details to come,” he said.

Efforts to remove Confederate symbols, most notably statues and the flag, from public parks and buildings intensified in 2015 after a white supremacist, Dylann Roof, killed nine black worshipers at a church in Charleston, S.C.

But as officials and residents in states such as Louisiana, South Carolina and Virginia have found in recent years, removing symbols of the Confederacy can be easier said than done.

Opponents of Confederate symbols see them as celebrations of racism and slavery, but their defenders say they are historically important and accuse critics of erasing the past or attacking white or Southern heritage.

The debates have become heated. The violence that erupted in Charlottesville on Saturday began as a protest by white nationalists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux ? members over the proposed removal of a statue of the Confederate general Robert E. Lee in Emancipation Park, formerly Lee Park.

It was one of the largest public rallies of white nationalist groups in years and one of the bloodiest confrontations yet over the future of a Confederate monument. But the removal of Confederate symbols has raised the specter of violence before.

When workers began to take down four monuments to the Confederacy in New Orleans in April, they wore flak jackets and helmets to protect against possible attacks and wrapped scarves around their faces to conceal their identities. The removal of the monuments, which included a 15,000-pound obelisk, happened under police guard.

It was an act of mass murder that sparked the removal of the Confederate battle flag from its place of honor in front of the South Carolina Statehouse. A yearslong campaign to bring the flag down reached its goal only after the massacre at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church spurred Gov. Nikki R. Haley and a critical mass of legislators to support its removal.

During the 2016 campaign, the flags came to mean something else for some people: a symbol of support for the candidacy of President Trump and a rebuke of sorts to the liberal forces, like political correctness, that he railed against while campaigning.

Confederate battle flags and other symbols of the Old South appeared at Trump rallies held in former Confederate states like Florida and Virginia but also in places far above the Mason-Dixon line, including Colorado, Michigan and Oregon.

padauv0o45k9.gif
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any black person that supports the same person or ideals as the kkk or nazis need ti have thier blackness called out.

Paris and faulkner and all these other professional show monkeys havent whispered a negative word towards the ? ....just other black people and those who clashed with the ?

And all the cops who're making fun of the violence dont seem to be bothered at all by the dead pigs this time for whatever reason.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On a sidenote

Paris dennard has a girlfriend?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    1st white dude spit on it and gave it the middle finger lol

GOAT the homie rockin the Wu-Tang ? .

Other white girl goin ham w the kicks tho lol

And of course there was a ? playin the guitar lol

Why white ppl love Wu Tang so much
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    marc123 wrote: »
    1st white dude spit on it and gave it the middle finger lol

GOAT the homie rockin the Wu-Tang ? .

Other white girl goin ham w the kicks tho lol

And of course there was a ? playin the guitar lol

Why white ppl love Wu Tang so much

Huh? You mean in general? Cuz that dude looked black
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @CapitalB how don't blacks not have a dog in this fight when it's literally the kkk out there marching tell "death to ? "?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    when ppl evoke ? germany i do tend to cringe...but then again i don't see anything wrong with drawing parallels when appropriate

Of course there's nothing wrong with drawing parallels when appropriate, but imo, the ? germany parallels are not appropriate. They're ridiculous and unconducive.
    but when you say sensationalize i think facts being manipulated or outright mischaracterized by the media for viewers, hits...basically the lost of any objectivity

Yes. That's at least some of what I said, no?
    i was looking for a specific example

Didn't I give you some? The ? Germany and genocide examples, for instance. There are several examples in this very thread. Just the fact that many people either disregarded or excused the violence from the "other side" as well. Are you telling me there aren't people on social media sensationalizing this? Not sure why you're asking for what appears to be easily accessible, but OK, if you still want a "documented" example, here's one from this very thread:

though you could very well argue that most journalism today has lost all objectivity and is more personality driven

Yes, that is also a belief I hold. It's just a more general version of my point. I don't understand though. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2017
    Options
    that said, my main point of contention is this idea that these ppl are just some fringe element AND not a big threat

Well, OK, I guess we might disagree, here. Though if depends on what you mean by "ppl" and "big." At this moment, at the very least, I still believe that the alternative right white supremacists are a fringe element and are a threat but not a significant threat, especially not a significantly proactively violent threat; if they were, there would have been a lot more than just one murder victim.[/quote]
    while the men and women who marched may exist in the crevices, like others have pointed out they’re also our neighbors. potential jurors. teachers. loan officers. and there are reports that white supremacist groups have infiltrated law enforcement. so they pose a threat to any person of color they interact with

Yes, I can agree, and that speaks to a more general problem that has existed since the birth of this nation. But I was mainly referring to the alternative right. In reference to your more general point, again, yes, I agree, though with one caveat: I'm in support of neither thought-policing nor witch/ghost hunts.

1. A belief in white supremacy is not and should not be a crime. Rather, an egregious act in the name of white supremacy should be illegal and prosecuted to the fullest extent.

2. It also follows that calling someone a white supremacist doesn't actually mean the accused is a white supremacist. If one accuses his or her neighbors, jurors, teachers, etc., of being white supremacists, then one must have evidence and must prove his or her accusation.
    and there was enough of them to elect trump, enough of them to applaud and support the ascension of steve bannon and the appointment of jeff sessions

Here, we might disagree as well. Are you saying that Trump's election was primarily due to the alternative right and/or white supremacists? If so, I disagree for various reasons, one of them being that Clinton ran the worst campaign in ages; her loss had as much to do with Trump's win, imo.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    maybe they all aren't david duke but they pose no less danger to me a woman of color if they truly believe that ppl who look like me are the enemy and/or their whiteness is under attack

"They" as in the white supremacists? Yes and no? Yes, they can be threatening, but there can be a clear difference in level of threat between a white supremacist politician and a white supremacist deadbeat-loser. And if and when they do legitimately threaten, the simple solution is to reasonably defend oneself to the best of one's abilities. Yes, the danger's there, but I see no reason to cower in fear and swing at ghosts (not saying that's what you're doing).
    not to mention those marchers in charlottesville choose to march with and cohort with white supremacist, neo nazis without little to no hesitancy which makes them just as bad imho

I agree, but humans are greedy and opportunistic and often with no scruples. It's expected. In these times, I've seen much stranger bedfellows on all sides. People are willing to sacrifice their principles and join with small rivals in order to reach similar goals and compete with bigger rivals.
    also lets please retire this idea that the liberal media or identity politics is largely responsible for their continued existence. it is ridiculous. same as this notion that the left willfully harbors just as many problematic, dangerous factions as the right

No, let's not retire that idea. If you want to do so, then simply disprove it. I still maintain that all or most media (including the liberal media) and identity politics has a hand in the antagonistic climate that exists today. And the left also has problematic, dangerous factions, just like the right. Imo, that's common sense and clearly apparent. If we can't see this, then we're part of the problem.