The Word "Thug"

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
Back in the 90's thru the early 10's, some rappers referred to themselves as thugs the word was used as a term of endearment because it described their actions and personalities. But today the word has a racial connotation against blacks. How do y'all feel about this or it doesn't matter?

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem is that rappers literally glorify violence.

When Pac got that Thug Life tattoo across his belly he probably had no idea that the Black youth would follow suit and try to live the Thug Life; dropping out of school, selling drugs and eventually ending up in prison. And the sad thing is that once you're in prison, if you're not the thug you claimed to be you'll end up being somebody's ? .

I have a solution but nobody wants to hear it; The Black youth should stay in high school and don't drop out. Once you finish school you should do one of three things: Join the military, join a union, or go to college. Hangin out on the block all day selling nickels and dimes is a waste of time.

Here in Trenton, you can go downtown and buy loud weed from anybody who's just standing around. I suppose those so-called drug dealers are living the Thug Life, but from my calculations they're not making any money. They'd make more money from student loans and federal grants, but they won't listen.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    should do one of three things: Join the military, join a union, or go to college.

World war 3 is about to start b.

I'd rather go to jail for my own actions than getting my legs blown off for greedy politicians.

Well, some people have no other choice. They come from broken homes and have no real family. They were raised by an aunt or a grandparent on welfare. If they join the military they can make something of themselves. Look at Colin Powell, he joined the military out of high school and moved up the ranks all the way from private to general, to chairmen of the joint chiefs of staff to secretary of state. And he enlisted while Vietnam and the civil rights movement were in full swing. I'm sure there were Black power nationalists saying that Colin Powell was a sellout, but when its all said and done, Colin Powell has more honor and prestige than any of these Black power nationalists from the 60s.

The military worked for Colin Powell.

But like I said, the other two choices are just as promising. If you don't think you're college material you can join a union and you'll always have work.

And lastly, there's college. Thats probably the best choice but some people aren't college material. They're better at working with their hands.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Five grand should be older
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    should do one of three things: Join the military, join a union, or go to college.

I'd rather go to jail for my own actions than getting my legs blown off for greedy politicians.

Well, some people have no other choice. They come from broken homes and have no real family. They were raised by an aunt or a grandparent on welfare. If they join the military they can make something of themselves. Look at Colin Powell, he joined the military out of high school and moved up the ranks all the way from private to general, to chairmen of the joint chiefs of staff to secretary of state. And he enlisted while Vietnam and the civil rights movement were in full swing. I'm sure there were Black power nationalists saying that Colin Powell was a sellout, but when its all said and done, Colin Powell has more honor and prestige than any of these Black power nationalists from the 60s.

But like I said, the other two choices are just as promising. If you don't think you're college material you can join a union and you'll always have work.

And lastly, there's college. Thats probably the best choice but some people aren't college material. They're better at working with their hands.

That ? was a spokesperson for an impending (imperialistic) invasion of another country. He was feeding the public lies instructed him by W.

The racial connotations alone...

Kwame Toure >>> Colin Powell
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

That ? was a spokesperson for an impending (imperialistic) invasion of another country. He was feeding the public lies instructed him by W.

With all due respect, Kwame Toure didn't really do anything. He gave inspirational speeches, but Colin Powell broke the color barrier in Washington. He was the first Black secretary of state.

Anyway, back to the O/P, we've got to stop glorifying "thug life". When I go to downtown Trenton I see people hanging out on the block all day. There's a community college across the street from where the people hang out, but you can't get them to enroll in college. That's the problem in a nutshell, the youth think its cooler to hang out than to go to college.
  • Lady Entrepreneur
    Lady Entrepreneur Members Posts: 32
    Options
    Always loved that song .. Thuggish ruggish bone
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    were not against rap were not against rappers but we are against those thugs ....(music starts playing)

"Back in the day, how many ? was really claimin to be thugs? ? was gangstaz, so what the ? has changed us, huhhhhhhh?

Krayzie Bone - We aint said no names
    https://youtu.be/4PjaR2DCyRc?t=1m18s
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With all due respect, Kwame Toure didn't really do anything. He gave inspirational speeches, but Colin Powell broke the color barrier in Washington. He was the first Black secretary of state.

He coined the phrase 'Black Power' and was of course a scourge in racist White supremacy... whilst alive

Powell even with those distinguished honours was a bootlicker... he's currently practically a pariah now

Funnily enough they are both sons of Caribbean immigrants
  • 5 Grand
    Options

He coined the phrase 'Black Power' and was of course a scourge in racist White supremacy... whilst alive

Powell even with those distinguished honours was a bootlicker... he's currently practically a pariah now

If we're talking about the civil rights movement, the only two people that made tangible results are Elijah Muhammad and Martin Luther King. Coining the phrase "Black Power" is cool but it didn't really accomplish anything.

People call Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas and even Obama "sellouts" but they are inspirational to the youth. They achieved tangible results and broke the color barrier.
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If we're talking about the civil rights movement, the only two people that made tangible results are Elijah Muhammad and Martin Luther King. Coining the phrase "Black Power" is cool but it didn't really accomplish anything.

People call Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas and even Obama "sellouts" but they are inspirational to the youth. They achieved tangible results and broke the color barrier.

that same ? you claiming is an inspiration to the kids would be the same that would throw a young black youth in jail hard time with no ? given. being the first of your kind loses its inspiration when you conspire to build roadblocks to keep anyone else who looks like you from enjoying the same success

1.gif

? ?

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options

that same ? you claiming is an inspiration to the kids would be the same that would throw a young black youth in jail hard time with no ? given. being the first of your kind loses its inspiration when you conspire to build roadblocks to keep anyone else who looks like you from enjoying the same success

1.gif

? ?

Are you saying that Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas (Condelezza Rice, etc.) and Barak Obama aren't an inspiration to the youth?

Somewhere there's a 12 year old kid in the projects studying hard to get good grades so he can be a supreme court justice, secretary of state or POTUS.

Back in the 60s that level of success was unimaginable for a poor kid in the ghetto.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After pac died the word Thug went viral..

Every rapper used it in some form.. every Trick daddy album title had the word Thug in it
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idgaf what white people think about me
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1.gif

? ?

Are you saying that Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas (Condelezza Rice, etc.) and Barak Obama aren't an inspiration to the youth?

Somewhere there's a 12 year old kid in the projects studying hard to get good grades so he can be a supreme court justice, secretary of state or POTUS.

Back in the 60s that level of success was unimaginable for a poor kid in the ghetto.

everyone else yes but not no damn Clarence Thomas replace his ass with Thurgood Marshall
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    After pac died the word Thug went viral..

Every rapper used it in some form.. every Trick daddy album title had the word Thug in it

That´s hillarious b.You must be an 80´s baby the rest were born in the 90´s.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

When Pac got that Thug Life tattoo across his belly he probably had no idea that the Black youth would follow suit and try to live the Thug Life; dropping out of school, selling drugs and eventually ending up in prison. And the sad thing is that once you're in prison, if you're not the thug you claimed to be you'll end up being somebody's ? .

I have a solution but nobody wants to hear it; The Black youth should stay in high school and don't drop out. Once you finish school you should do one of three things: Join the military, join a union, or go to college. Hangin out on the block all day selling nickels and dimes is a waste of time.

Here in Trenton, you can go downtown and buy loud weed from anybody who's just standing around. I suppose those so-called drug dealers are living the Thug Life, but from my calculations they're not making any money. They'd make more money from student loans and federal grants, but they won't listen.

To paraphrase a historical truth Pac did not Introduce nor did he Create Thuglife that was the condition many of us born in the Hood were given from birth. Pac Diagnosed and Described it in a way that the general public finally accepted as reality and in the present they have turned it into a caricature. I have finished school I have went to college but I also ran a corner to survive as Food and money do not just come when you go to school. You present a middle class mentality that hurts the community as you do not realize that the Military & Unions are Gang membership, extortion and is just another Trap while College ultimately is just a piece of paper. Truth be told Youngsters do need to embrace Knowledge keep accumulating and using it till they attain Wisdom and from that they will begin to truly start Understanding the world around them and whether they want their place in to be one for making it better or worse...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you want to be a thug in 2017 you lost.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

To paraphrase a historical truth Pac did not Introduce nor did he Create Thuglife that was the condition many of us born in the Hood were given from birth. Pac Diagnosed and Described it in a way that the general public finally accepted as reality and in the present they have turned it into a caricature. I have finished school I have went to college but I also ran a corner to survive as Food and money do not just come when you go to school. You present a middle class mentality that hurts the community as you do not realize that the Military & Unions are Gang membership, extortion and is just another Trap while College ultimately is just a piece of paper. Truth be told Youngsters do need to embrace Knowledge keep accumulating and using it till they attain Wisdom and from that they will begin to truly start Understanding the world around them and whether they want their place in to be one for making it better or worse...

Nonsense,

Military, Unions and College are career choices. If you're not doing one of the three then you have no career and are going nowhere fast. The only good paying jobs that are available to people that don't have college degrees are unions. Unions do blue collar work. They're the guys you see outside with the orange vests digging up the road and repaving it. When you've been in a union for a long period of time and have all of your certifications you can make $40 per hour just for telling other people what to do.

The alternative to military, unions or college are working at a supermarket or a fast food restaurant making $10 per hour, which isn't a livable wage.

And white collar jobs require a bachelor's degree.

I'm 43 years old and I didn't go to college directly from high school. I wasted a lot of time working menial jobs that didn't pay. When I finally went to school and got my degree I realized why I couldn't get anywhere, I wasn't educated.

Out of curiosity, if you don't think military, unions or college are good choices, what would you suggest for an 18 year old that just graduated in June 2017?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

@gee757 aint got ? on this Thug