Is The NY Hip Hop scene stable again?

Options

Comments

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk but Joey Badass and Jay Z competing for AOTY right now along with Kendrick ( I ? with Damn but not AOTY for me tho)
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    So is...NY stable?

yea its better than it was 5 years ago

but it aint the best market for hip hop like the 90s

Ya say that erry year an still have no line up…
    Beta wrote: »
    Is things finally on the up and up and pretty much stable for the hip hop scene in New York where it's not on life support anymore?

With artists such as:

A Boogie
    Action Bronson
    A$AP Ferg, Rocky, and I guess Twelvyy, (Not Bari)
    Conway
    CardI B
    CJ Fly
    Dave East
    Desiigner

Don Q
    French Montana
    Joey Badass
    Remy Ma
    Papoose on MMG

Smoke Dza
    Troy Ave
    Vado
    Young M.A

Etc

Is NY in good hands? Or does it need one more star to be a contender?

Yes, certain rappers are bringing vibrancy back to the NY Hip Hop scene. They're a fine example of continuing the legacy of its predecessors. Without them, the NY scene would become obsolete.

By the way @Beta, this is a great thread! Keep up the good work!

<3

That ? made no sense that's why ny is not makin dollas … it's a wrap baby grl ny been finish since 2005…

@Beta I made a thread similar 2 this 1 kid I jus ain't name no line up… it was hard finding ny buzzin artist in 2017
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Joey Badass needs a REAL run. I think the ALL AMERIKKKAN BADA$$ album proved he could make a great LP. He just needs the backing to be national.

That ? sounded like mix up of doe or die & it was written been rap by a+…

@beta keepin faith in papoose… he's not meek prolly won't even drop a mixtape under mmg…
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont give a ? about papoose B
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Lmao yall think Papoose is gonna get hot. He be in the game for 16 years and only has one song people knows. Nobody trying to hear that ? . Let's put Maino on this list too

Don't 4 get is not his song the hottest part was him naming 5 boroughs of his finger tattoo …

Maino works part time security 4 t.i & dro… facts

Add uncle murda on that list he just went on tour wit g unit …
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    end of the day if you enjoy the music scene in new york then cool

like i said there's a ton of great rappers coming out in this new generation
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you got Papoose on your list of 10 hottest rappers in the city, it's not looking good b
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    If you got Papoose on your list of 10 hottest rappers in the city, it's not looking good b

For the sake of the argument why not?
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yes, certain rappers are bringing vibrancy back to the NY Hip Hop scene. They're a fine example of continuing the legacy of its predecessors. Without them, the NY scene would become obsolete.

By the way @Beta, this is a great thread! Keep up the good work!

<3

That ? made no sense that's why ny is not makin dollas… it's a wrap baby grl ny been finish since 2005…

:neutral:

Your lack of grammatical indications doesn't make any sense.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On it's way. I have been bumping a lot of NYC based music this last year...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Let's be real here, on the mainstream level Hip Hop isn't that stable nomatter the region y'all agree with that any other day but chose to single out today. But if you going on Hip Hop as a whole counting the indie. New York and everywhere else is fine. There's New York albums that came out recently I ? with. didn't the ic just vote tribe as having album of the year last year too? ? gotta be on the radio to be good now?

Alot of two faced talking be in this forum. One day some ? will be bragging about how they region is all over the radio on New York threads but in a complete other thread different day, agree that the radio ? is trash. Let's be real here, the whole ? fell off . Got ? mumbling the same topics over traps beats every song. That ain't on the level of kast or goodie mob either
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Troll thread

Keep this ? going I'm having fun
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

He doesn't make music that people want to listen to. Other cities you can name rappers that make good music and are more current
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2017
    Options

He doesn't make music that people want to listen to. Other cities you can name rappers that make good music and are more current

The bold is a generalized statement. He might not make music that fans of Yachty and Uzi etc likes. But there is an audience that will listen to his music.
  • buttuh_b
    Options

The bold is a generalized statement. He might not make music that fans of Yachty and Uzi etc likes. But there is an audience that will listen to his music.

Look I listen to and enjoy everything. I can acknowledge it's a time and place for Papoose. I like American Dream album but most people would really have to be in a certain mood to play that. That's music you can really only listen to when you're by yourself. Most people in New York and Jersey don't even like that ? . My point is you're not in a good place when a rapper who people already didn't dig like that when he was at his peak 12 years ago is considered one of the 10 hottest in your city. That means your city is colder than the iceberg that sunk the titantic.

The thing is the NYC scene is bad because most of the music isn't good, no creativity, very stagnant and outside of a couple singles there's nothing that could bring people together that they will enjoy. Like I said there's a few artists like ASAP Rocky, French Montana and Cardi B who are exceptions but even their music isn't on the same level as artists from other cities. Then you got Joey Badass who had a great album and Dave East who can rap and makes good music, nice beats and concepts.

But overall NYC used to dominate and had everything checked off. It's 20 million people in the metro area so population wise they should be doing better than just now having 3 or 4 hot rappers after 10 years of virtually nothing.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Look I listen to and enjoy everything. I can acknowledge it's a time and place for Papoose. I like American Dream album but most people would really have to be in a certain mood to play that. That's music you can really only listen to when you're by yourself. Most people in New York and Jersey don't even like that ? . My point is you're not in a good place when a rapper who people already didn't dig like that when he was at his peak 12 years ago is considered one of the 10 hottest in your city. That means your city is colder than the iceberg that sunk the titantic.

The thing is the NYC scene is bad because most of the music isn't good, no creativity, very stagnant and outside of a couple singles there's nothing that could bring people together that they will enjoy. Like I said there's a few artists like ASAP Rocky, French Montana and Cardi B who are exceptions but even their music isn't on the same level as artists from other cities. Then you got Joey Badass who had a great album and Dave East who can rap and makes good music, nice beats and concepts.

But overall NYC used to dominate and had everything checked off. It's 20 million people in the metro area so population wise they should be doing better than just now having 3 or 4 hot rappers after 10 years of virtually nothing.

But what if he evolves. Veterans have had second and sometimes 3rd waves in their careers. Not saying Papoose will blow up but you never know.

The problem with the NY scene isn't really about rappers "not making good music". It's about politics, it's about the artists not getting the push. The bs from other regions a decade ago got pushed regardless of whether people liked it or not.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New York rap mainstream wise? Copycats... the artform originated from that city and they've lost their identity. Ironical

On the indie or underground tip though, that gutter boom bap sound still kicking (I hope Dave East and Bada$$ can thrive in the industry cos they're both brothas who still have a love for rap bars...)

Are they stable? Looks like the city is still in a tighter grip (as regards authenticity) by the OG'S: ? who came up in the 90s and to a shorter extent the 80s too.

West Coast currently putting out the best music in HipHop and they do NOT imitate. It's still G-Funk on a lot of their records
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    West Coast currently putting out the best music in HipHop and they do NOT imitate. It's still G-Funk on a lot of their records

Best music period. Not just hip hop.
  • buttuh_b
    edited August 2017
    Options

But what if he evolves. Veterans have had second and sometimes 3rd waves in their careers. Not saying Papoose will blow up but you never know.

The problem with the NY scene isn't really about rappers "not making good music". It's about politics, it's about the artists not getting the push. The bs from other regions a decade ago got pushed regardless of whether people liked it or not.

Dog, you don't get it... the music ain't hot like that for the most part. I know good music when I hear it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The album in my AVI is still my album of 2017 until further notice...
  • buttuh_b
    Options

The album in my AVI is still my album of 2017 until further notice...

Hell yea Thundercat elevated and I didn't even think he could. Saw him perform at Roots Picnic in June and he killed it.. going to see him again at Afropunk in Brooklyn next week.

Any NYC posters that got an issue with me can run the fade while Raphael Saadiq (another Cali legend) performs.. :)
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since ya'll muhfuckas wanna act like ya'll aint familiar with highbridge the label..
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    Listening to Law Library 8... this ? hard..

I'm still about to turn this into a Cali appreciation thread in a minute tho