White Supremacist rally in Charlottesville

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also...

Groups like BAMN, antifa activists don’t wield anything like the alt right’s power. The alt right who cohorts with white supremacist, nationalists. White supremacy havign been government policy for all our history. They have no support in Congress. They have no Steve Banon in the white house. They don't have a Fox News equivalent

*sigh* Once again, I agree.
    BAMN, antifa’s vision is not as noxious. From the research that I've done, antifa activists do not celebrate regimes that committed genocide and enforced slavery. They’re mostly anarchists, but it’s not an ideology that depicts the members of a particular race or religion as subhuman

Yes, the tactics of BAMN and antifa are at times problematic, counter productive and shouldn't been tolerated. But it's not like members who commit illegal acts aren't promptly arrested. And they have little to no powerful friends and supporters on the left who are trying to make the case their actions are always justified

*predictable ? contest about a matter in which the both of us already agree intensifies for some odd reason*
    Otherwise I see no issue with them or anyone wanting to disrupt these white nationalist gatherings without inciting violence. Interference with speech is an expression of free speech. Resistance doesn't have to be quiet

Surprise, again! I agree!
    And all things considered, its not hard to see why everyone is a bit more concerned/ preoccupied with the growth of the alt-right, white nationalism, neo nazis, etc

Our 605,054,343th agreement! What a milestone!
    Someone wants to really undermine antifa, comparing their numbers or their cause to actual white nationalist and supremacists is not the way. It's laughable and dangerous

I know, right?
    I'll go even a step further than i did earlier, after alil introspection, comparing to Trump to Hilter can be dangerous

??
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    I know people hate racism an the ? but are we saying they have no right to assemble...

Who said that? Those mufukas been assembling for generations ? .

Lol true..but antifa saying they gonna show up every where they at an fight.. .

Bruh dont cry for these ?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

Your questions are honest? ? lol

Haha, more claims without evidence. Pass.

For one, actual footage that's freely available on the internet.

"Comparable"? Not sure if you're using that accurately to describe my point. For the millionth time, I believe I merely said that the two have used unjustified violence, regardless.

You're making my small reasonable comparison into something bigger that I don't even subscribe to. I'm not concerned about a ? contest between neo-nazis and Antifa. Once again...? it, I'm tired of repeating myself.

Lol

Are you trolling me

I understand nuance and the complicity of the situation but come on now

At times your being purposely vague or dodging my inquiries all together

That said...

I asked what factions on the left are comparable to the neo nazis or white nationalists ????

These are your words
    One easy answer that I'm sure you're aware of (though the media rarely covers them) is Antifa. There are many other obvious examples that are generally comparable. But I think you mean comparable in terms of violence? Such examples are BAMN and Refuse Fascism. Have you heard of George Soros? If there's one main point I want to raise is the lack of fair media coverage and the ? that comes from both sides.

Evidence imho you aren't this man of reason you are trying so desperately to portray yourself to be

And please provide links to this footage that's freely available on the internet

Enlighten me bae

And I really have no idea what you meant when you said that "your questions are honest"
  • naledgestate
    naledgestate Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know people hate racism an the ? but are we saying they have no right to assemble...

Of course they can assemble, but those fascists and racsicts should know they wont get to operate in a safe space.

Ironically, let's be careful of not being politically correct with a bunch of racists that are espousing anti-democratic ideas.

They already have the White House and now they are about to hold rallies across the country. What else are we going to give up?

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cqu17mcygd45.png
    THESE JEWS ? MY CITY WITH DEY FANCY MONEY AN THANK DEY TAKING OLE GLORIA DOWN WE WILL JOO JOO JOO :) .....g ? im asking around nobody even knew this ? was there an u know how much i go to court
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wtf is there a confederate monument in AZ for?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy I didn't post that "I'm happy there's no confederate monument near me" post.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/346915-trump-is-right-the-alt-left-exists-and-theyre-no-better
    OPINION | Trump is right: The alt-left exists and the media ignores it

BY SHERIFF DAVID A. CLARKE,

Sheriff Shuck & Jive continues to tap dance for his ? …
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/metro-detroit-man-flying-confederate-flag-says-black-people-arent-welcome
    Macomb Co. man flying confederate flag says 'black people' aren't welcome

Syma Chowdhry
    ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Roseville resident put up a confederate flag on his home Tuesday night, which has offended some his neighbors.

The man lives on Ronald Street and it is clear what the Confederate flag means to him. He said, "That means not welcome."

7 Action News asked him who is not welcome? He said, "Arabic people. Black people."

He did not want to give us his name but did not mind giving us his opinion.

The man tells us he is an Army veteran who was injured in Iraq.

He says his injuries impaired his speech, but not his freedom of speech.

He has ? symbol tattoos and says he supports ? because he is of German descent.

We asked him what would he say to people who are offended by his flag?

His answer: "I've got nothing to say."

We got tipped off about the flag when a Facebook user saw it as she drove around Roseville Tuesday.

The man patiently answered our questions and respectfully referred to 7 Action News Reporter Syma Chowdhry as "ma'am."

But he says he doesn't regret putting up the Confederate flag.

That doesn't mean neighbors like it.

One man tells us this is not reflective of the Roseville community.

"I think it's offensive to a lot of people," a neighbor said.

We talked with several neighbors off camera and some of them said they do not mind the flag but we couldn't get them to state that on the record.

The mayor of Roseville had this statement:

"The City of Roseville does not promote the flying of a Confederate Flag by anyone but it is the right of our citizens to fly one if they feel it's necessary which is a right given to them by our US Constitution. I will personally have our code enforcement personnel check on this residence to make sure that no code enforcement violations are occurring. Roseville does not promote racism or any type of bigotry our city is a very diverse community which revolves around family and friends."

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the Over/Under on one of these racist CACs defacing the MLK monument when they try to have their little rally in DC?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/metro-detroit-man-flying-confederate-flag-says-black-people-arent-welcome
    Macomb Co. man flying confederate flag says 'black people' aren't welcome

Syma Chowdhry
    ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WXYZ) - A Roseville resident put up a confederate flag on his home Tuesday night, which has offended some his neighbors.

The man lives on Ronald Street and it is clear what the Confederate flag means to him. He said, "That means not welcome."

7 Action News asked him who is not welcome? He said, "Arabic people. Black people."

He did not want to give us his name but did not mind giving us his opinion.

The man tells us he is an Army veteran who was injured in Iraq.

He says his injuries impaired his speech, but not his freedom of speech.

He has ? symbol tattoos and says he supports ? because he is of German descent.

We asked him what would he say to people who are offended by his flag?

His answer: "I've got nothing to say."

We got tipped off about the flag when a Facebook user saw it as she drove around Roseville Tuesday.

The man patiently answered our questions and respectfully referred to 7 Action News Reporter Syma Chowdhry as "ma'am."

But he says he doesn't regret putting up the Confederate flag.

That doesn't mean neighbors like it.

One man tells us this is not reflective of the Roseville community.

"I think it's offensive to a lot of people," a neighbor said.

We talked with several neighbors off camera and some of them said they do not mind the flag but we couldn't get them to state that on the record.

The mayor of Roseville had this statement:

"The City of Roseville does not promote the flying of a Confederate Flag by anyone but it is the right of our citizens to fly one if they feel it's necessary which is a right given to them by our US Constitution. I will personally have our code enforcement personnel check on this residence to make sure that no code enforcement violations are occurring. Roseville does not promote racism or any type of bigotry our city is a very diverse community which revolves around family and friends."

My neighbor right across from when we was kids had the biggest confederate flag flying my fam from new york came down a wanted to fight :o. Them flags is so common place in the south its crazy that people are just now sayin ? ..
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lol

Are you trolling me

No, I'm not. But if you're convinced that I am, which seems to be the case (which is hilarious, because I've been an open book that has not only agreed with you a lot and have respectfully disagreed with you but also because I have nothing to hide), then shouldn't you stop feeding the troll? It's no biggie to me. You won't hurt my feelings if you choose to not speak with me.
    I understand nuance and the complicity of the situation but come on now

At times your being purposely vague or dodging my inquiries all together

Again, I disagree. Again, for the millionth time, I ask for evidence. Again, you really should consider the easy possibility that there's simply been a misunderstanding and that in order to resolve such a plausible misunderstanding, we should focus on further questions for clarification.

I'd rather not get into talking in circles. I believe I've made my points quite clear. If you disagree, please quote me.
    That said...

I asked what factions on the left are comparable to the neo nazis or white nationalists ????

These are your words:

"One easy answer that I'm sure you're aware of (though the media rarely covers them) is Antifa. There are many other obvious examples that are generally comparable. But I think you mean comparable in terms of violence? Such examples are BAMN and Refuse Fascism. Have you heard of George Soros? If there's one main point I want to raise is the lack of fair media coverage and the ? that comes from both sides."

Thank you!! Finally, you reveal a relevant quote that we can look at together as a point of reference. Now, I think I see the misunderstanding. My answer was in less general reference - to the very subject of this thread as well as other recent events. Not in more general reference - to American history.

As I've said, it seems we are/were talking about slightly different subjects. As I've said, your points in reference to American history are already painfully obvious, and I agree with them. I was speaking rather more specifically about, once again, violence from both sides of recent events. And again, I wasn't saying one was worse than the other. I was simply condemning unjustified violence from both Antifa and, say, the KKK at recent events.

Really? Did you think that I was making the argument that the violence from the KKK, which has a 200-year existence in America, is dwarfed by the violence from Antifa, which apparently has a relatively very recent presence in America?

I could very well link Antifa to the historic and modern "evils" of C/communism but I won't, simply because that's irrelevant to my point (not to mention the aforementioned link bears less relevance to America but more relevance to the world at large).

Please, let me know if there are any other major misunderstandings or if you even think there were no misunderstandings to begin with.
    Evidence imho you aren't this man of reason you are trying so desperately to portray yourself to be

"Desperately"? Hahahaha, I wasn't even aware I was trying. I respect your opinion, but once again, you've already said this before, and I've already responded to this.
    And I really have no idea what you meant when you said that "your questions are honest"

Haha, I thought that could be a possibility, but if that's indeed the case, then I wonder why you responded (and might I add, strongly responded) as if you did?

When I say "honest questions," I mean that most, if not all, my questions are not rhetorical, not snarky, not loaded, not leading, etc. My questions are simply honest, for the purpose of resolving my ignorance with knowledge. I don't know; therefore, I ask in order to know.

I make this seemingly trivial clarification so that my intentions are clear and present. Tone is something that is not carried over well via text on the internet, so I don't want my questions to be misinterpreted. As I've said, I have nothing to hide, and I'm not interested in e-beefs. I just want a civil and productive discussion.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    And please provide links to this footage that's freely available on the internet

OK, here's two links from the left, since I'm not sure that rightist sources will be accepted, but let me add two links from the right since I do believe the left hasn't been very fair in their coverage of Antifa, and these two sources point that out well.

Modern-day members of Antifa have become more active in making themselves known at public rallies and within the progressive movement, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino.

"What they're trying to do now is not only become prominent through violence at these high-profile rallies, but also to reach out through small meetings and through social networking to cultivate disenfranchised progressives who heretofore were peaceful," Levin said.

While it can be difficult to distinguish Antifa activists from other protesters, some dress head to toe in black. Members call this the "Black Bloc."

They also wear masks to hide their identities from the police and whomever they are protesting.

The group is known for causing damage to property during protests. In Berkeley, black-clad protesters wearing masks threw Molotov cocktails and smashed windows at the student union center where the Yiannopoulos event was to be held.

Levin said Antifa activists feel the need to partake in violence because "they believe that elites are controlling the government and the media. So they need to make a statement head-on against the people who they regard as racist."

"There's this 'It's going down' mentality and this 'Hit them with your boots' mentality that goes back many decades to confrontations that took place, not only here in the American South, but also in places like Europe," he added.

White nationalists and other members of the so-called alt-right have denounced members of Antifa, sometimes calling them the "alt-left." Many white nationalists from the Charlottesville rallies claimed it was the Antifa groups that led the protests to turn violent.

"These are people who preach tolerance and love while at the same time threatening people with a different political ideology. We go to our rallies and they harass us and attack us but they held theirs and we ignore them. You don't see right-wing protests get like this," Cvjetanovic told CNN affiliate KRNV.

But Crow said the philosophy of Antifa is based on the idea of direct action. "The idea in Antifa is that we go where they (right-wingers) go. That hate speech is not free speech. That if you are endangering people with what you say and the actions that are behind them, then you do not have the right to do that.

"And so we go to cause conflict, to shut them down where they are, because we don't believe that Nazis or fascists of any stripe should have a mouthpiece."

What Is Antifa?by Jessica Suerth (CNN)

cloudfront.crimethinc.comwe-beat-em-before-color-2f38561a0aa6e2706d15b4e106564f5017b45647.jpg

From anti-fascist website It's Going Down (the namesake previously alluded to in the above article): We'll Beat 'Em Again!: Take the Fight against Fascism to the Walls of Your Neighborhood - It's Going Down. Though I actually like the poster.

Valid(?) Criticism of Antifa, regarding Charlottesville
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUXJh65aSoU

Valid(?) Criticism of Antifa, regarding Berkeley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSIX9Cijeo
    Enlighten me bae

Just in case, I want to make it clear that I never meant any offense.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/346915-trump-is-right-the-alt-left-exists-and-theyre-no-better
    OPINION | Trump is right: The alt-left exists and the media ignores it

BY SHERIFF DAVID A. CLARKE,

Sheriff Shuck & Jive continues to tap dance for his ? …

I despise that ? and his wack ass coontache.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    8df2p732dtcz.png

Reversed game on em..

wait..
    so a bunch of muthafuckas tore down a statue and the cops only chose to arrest and prosecute the one black person in the crowd??!

lmmfao

and ? wonder why i say we need to sit this one out!!? smmfh
  • naledgestate
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    8df2p732dtcz.png

Reversed game on em..

wait..
    so a bunch of muthafuckas tore down a statue and the cops only chose to arrest and prosecute the one black person in the crowd??!

lmmfao

But for how long are we gonna sit it out?

I hoping Chartlottesville was just an aberration, but this ? could matestasize.

? don't forget why the KKK was formed. It wasn't to scare Jews or Catholics post civil war.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8df2p732dtcz.png

Reversed game on em..

wait..

lmmfao

? don't forget why the KKK was formed. It wasn't to scare Jews or Catholics post civil war.

these cacs is out there protesting they momuments gettin takin down..

why are u suggesting ? partake in these counter protests?!

if they was out here burnin crosses in black neighborhoods ud have a point..
    but they not so u dont..

go sit down somewhere and enjoy the show..
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8df2p732dtcz.png

Reversed game on em..

wait..

lmmfao

but they not so u dont..

I feel like we do pick the wrong stuff to fight wayyyy too many times and the fights we should pick we don't do it often enough. I'm not down with that.
  • naledgestate
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8df2p732dtcz.png

Reversed game on em..

wait..

lmmfao

but they not so u dont..

So black people as principle victims of white supremacy and racism are not supposed to offer resistance to a white supremacy uprising when we see it? The white counter-protesters get to choose when sit ? out..... they are white. Unfortunately we cant sit nothing out because the ? is in your face every ? day because of the color of our skin.

Those racists cacs are not history buffs who happen to like sculptures of the past. Those sculptures are rallying points and symbols of how the white man kept his foot on our neck. They want their groups to grow and take more ? over. You heard the chants.

Those white people in the counter-protest are gonna be alright. Meanwhile we gonna stay black. I really dont understand ? sometimes.