Rapper Ranking Project: Rapper #1 - Jay-Z

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

You still don't see what you doing you asking for opinions while tryna say your opinion is the right one well wtf you asking for opinions for??? If I was on sum super fan ? like you said you'd just give him a 3 in every category I'd just give him a 5 in every category... notice how you spending the whole thread tryna push YOUR rating as opposed to just realizing your rating aren't facts and it isn't becuz anybody is a stan or overrating it's becuz music is subjective..... I think alot of your ratings are underrated and you think mine are overrated you don't think Jay has a great flow others do you don't think Jay is an elite collaborater (I really don't get that one) I do you don't think Jay is an exceptional story teller others might when you get to BIG you gonna have sum ? that give him a 5 on everything it is what it is your ratings aren't fact they your opinion

? , nobody is in here acting like these are facts. I said in the opening piece that this is all going to be based on opinion. I provided the based scores so of course I believe they are right, but again I can be objective, if you provide a good argument and people agree with you, fine we can change it. But your arguments aren't good and no one is agreeing with you. And yes, you are a Jay-Z stan. I don't know why ya'll have such a hard time embracing that.

And my scores aren't just based on my opinions without any real reasoning. I gave you the reasoning why Jay deserves a 3 and not a 4. And that reasoning is based on facts. He doesn't do as much story telling as some of the higher tiered story tellers. His stories aren't as varied in topics as others. His stories in general aren't as creative. He's not spitting something like Nas' Rewind or Ghostface's The Watch. So if you go down everything that makes a good storyteller and see that Jay is pretty good in every area but not bringing as much as some of the elite storytellers in any area, how do you justify putting him on an Exceptional level? The purpose of this topic is for discussion. If you don't agree provide a suitable argument. Don't just get on here and say some ? like "Well, that's your opinion and my opinion is my opinion and our opinions are different and opinions are opinions and not facts." That's not supporting your case at all. It's just fluff. We don't have to agree on the ratings. We just have to present our cases for the ratings, and whoever has the stronger case is the one whose score will stick.

? so far we got a
    And others asking you how you rating him so low on certain areas

How you gonna say nobody agreeing with me if anything YOU the one ppl not agreeing with but aight man it's your thread.... And I gave my reasoning just becuz you don't agree don't mean the reasoning isn't there I'm not finna keep going back and forth defending my reasons becuz either way if somebody rates something high that you don't agree and they give a reason you don't agree as normal in the IC the first things ? go to is "you just being a stan" no how about you just underrating evidence by nobody score even being close to as low as yours but let me guess the others are stans too right.... Knock it off

? you didn't give any reasoning. You just said you think Jay is a good storyteller and that that's your opinion. That's not an argument. And yes, people put higher scores than me, but none of you are giving reasons past your own opinion. It's fine for you to disagree with me, but if you want the main score adjusted provide an actual argument.

You think Jay's stories deserve to be a 4. Post some, explain why they are better than the stories from rappers that aren't 4s. Do anything but get on here and whine because I'm not agreeing with you. I outlined the format of this topic in the OP. If you just wanted to come in here and tell us you think Jay is the best, you could have saved that ? for the other Jay topics. There are actual rules and expectations in this thread and you want to ignore them and act like I'm in the wrong for not just accepting your ? .

Again, my scores are not final. If people have actual arguments, make them. A couple have made some arguments for his delivery. I made my counter. It seems like quite a few believe that I underrated his delivery, so I'm thinking about bumping it up to a 4. But you've made ? arguments for both storytelling and collaboration, nobody is jumping to take your side on those, so why are acting like I'm being so unfair?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is so great about Jay's delivery. He doesn't switch up his flow much and definitely not within songs. He's not the best at riding a beat. His delivery is decent. It gets the job done, but that's about it. He's nowhere near the best in that area.

Would take you serious on this if you didn't name Canibus as someone who has a better delivery than Jay.

Aight, I'll give you that. I think there are things Canibus does better than Jay, but it's a stretch to say his delivery as a whole is better.

Twista didn't change his flow on that song, he just changed the tone in his voice, he was still using that double time flow thru out.

Everybody who does the double time flow doesn't sound the same. Everyone puts their own stamp on it. Go back and listen. He spit about 38-40 syllables in each line in the first flow. In the second, he spit around 30-40 per line. That's because in the first he was sticking with a consistent cadence, rhythm, and word pattern throughout. In the second, he altering all of those things throughout the verse. It wasn't just a difference in tone. Though being able to modulate tone is another part of delivery and another area where you can clearly see that others do it much better than Jay.

So, no difference like I said.

He still spiting 30-40 syllables a line, he just changes his tone.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What is so great about Jay's delivery. He doesn't switch up his flow much and definitely not within songs. He's not the best at riding a beat. His delivery is decent. It gets the job done, but that's about it. He's nowhere near the best in that area.

Would take you serious on this if you didn't name Canibus as someone who has a better delivery than Jay.

Aight, I'll give you that. I think there are things Canibus does better than Jay, but it's a stretch to say his delivery as a whole is better.

Twista didn't change his flow on that song, he just changed the tone in his voice, he was still using that double time flow thru out.

Everybody who does the double time flow doesn't sound the same. Everyone puts their own stamp on it. Go back and listen. He spit about 38-40 syllables in each line in the first flow. In the second, he spit around 30-40 per line. That's because in the first he was sticking with a consistent cadence, rhythm, and word pattern throughout. In the second, he altering all of those things throughout the verse. It wasn't just a difference in tone. Though being able to modulate tone is another part of delivery and another area where you can clearly see that others do it much better than Jay.

So, no difference like I said.

He still spiting 30-40 syllables a line, he just changes his tone.

Did you not read clearly or something? 30-40 is not the same as 38-40. In the later case he was more consistently spitting that double time flow. In the second case he was bouncing back and forth between a few tempos. I don't see how you can even argue this. His last few lines weren't even double time. He just restored them straight.

Ultimately, he switched his delivery mid verse. Jay doesn't do things like that.

Enough people have protested. I'll bump his Delivery score up to 4. I'll also bump his Collaboration score up to 4.5. Upon reflection @GetoBoy is right. Jay has collabed with many of the best rappers across era and region. I won't give him a full point more because he doesn't dominate the comp more often than not, but he always has a good showing.

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

You still don't see what you doing you asking for opinions while tryna say your opinion is the right one well wtf you asking for opinions for??? If I was on sum super fan ? like you said you'd just give him a 3 in every category I'd just give him a 5 in every category... notice how you spending the whole thread tryna push YOUR rating as opposed to just realizing your rating aren't facts and it isn't becuz anybody is a stan or overrating it's becuz music is subjective..... I think alot of your ratings are underrated and you think mine are overrated you don't think Jay has a great flow others do you don't think Jay is an elite collaborater (I really don't get that one) I do you don't think Jay is an exceptional story teller others might when you get to BIG you gonna have sum ? that give him a 5 on everything it is what it is your ratings aren't fact they your opinion

? , nobody is in here acting like these are facts. I said in the opening piece that this is all going to be based on opinion. I provided the based scores so of course I believe they are right, but again I can be objective, if you provide a good argument and people agree with you, fine we can change it. But your arguments aren't good and no one is agreeing with you. And yes, you are a Jay-Z stan. I don't know why ya'll have such a hard time embracing that.

And my scores aren't just based on my opinions without any real reasoning. I gave you the reasoning why Jay deserves a 3 and not a 4. And that reasoning is based on facts. He doesn't do as much story telling as some of the higher tiered story tellers. His stories aren't as varied in topics as others. His stories in general aren't as creative. He's not spitting something like Nas' Rewind or Ghostface's The Watch. So if you go down everything that makes a good storyteller and see that Jay is pretty good in every area but not bringing as much as some of the elite storytellers in any area, how do you justify putting him on an Exceptional level? The purpose of this topic is for discussion. If you don't agree provide a suitable argument. Don't just get on here and say some ? like "Well, that's your opinion and my opinion is my opinion and our opinions are different and opinions are opinions and not facts." That's not supporting your case at all. It's just fluff. We don't have to agree on the ratings. We just have to present our cases for the ratings, and whoever has the stronger case is the one whose score will stick.

? so far we got a

How you gonna say nobody agreeing with me if anything YOU the one ppl not agreeing with but aight man it's your thread.... And I gave my reasoning just becuz you don't agree don't mean the reasoning isn't there I'm not finna keep going back and forth defending my reasons becuz either way if somebody rates something high that you don't agree and they give a reason you don't agree as normal in the IC the first things ? go to is "you just being a stan" no how about you just underrating evidence by nobody score even being close to as low as yours but let me guess the others are stans too right.... Knock it off

? you didn't give any reasoning. You just said you think Jay is a good storyteller and that that's your opinion. That's not an argument. And yes, people put higher scores than me, but none of you are giving reasons past your own opinion. It's fine for you to disagree with me, but if you want the main score adjusted provide an actual argument.

You think Jay's stories deserve to be a 4. Post some, explain why they are better than the stories from rappers that aren't 4s. Do anything but get on here and whine because I'm not agreeing with you. I outlined the format of this topic in the OP. If you just wanted to come in here and tell us you think Jay is the best, you could have saved that ? for the other Jay topics. There are actual rules and expectations in this thread and you want to ignore them and act like I'm in the wrong for not just accepting your ? .

Again, my scores are not final. If people have actual arguments, make them. A couple have made some arguments for his delivery. I made my counter. It seems like quite a few believe that I underrated his delivery, so I'm thinking about bumping it up to a 4. But you've made ? arguments for both storytelling and collaboration, nobody is jumping to take your side on those, so why are acting like I'm being so unfair?

? YOU the only one whining throughout this whole thread with anybody that don't agree with lol..... And how you gonna say I gave ? examples for my collaborations score then adjust your score and reference me and my reasoning as to why??? That just shows I'm giving you good reasons you just not catching em on time you've underrated him more than I've overrated him so no this ain't no stan ? it's just facts get out your feelings bruh
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options

? so far we got a

? YOU the only one whining throughout this whole thread and m about anybody that don't agree with lol..... And how you gonna say I gave ? examples for my collaborations score then adjust your score and reference me and my reasoning as to why??? That just shows I'm giving you good reasons you just not catching em on time you've underrated him more than I've overrated him so no this ain't no stan ? it's just facts get out your feelings bruh

lol ? , I literally said I reflected on what you said and decided you were right about the Collaboration. I admitted wrong and gave you credit and you still in here whining. Ain't no feelings involved for me. You're the one proving your stanhood with every post. Just accept the ? and move on.
  • GetoBoy
    Options

? so far we got a

? YOU the only one whining throughout this whole thread and m about anybody that don't agree with lol..... And how you gonna say I gave ? examples for my collaborations score then adjust your score and reference me and my reasoning as to why??? That just shows I'm giving you good reasons you just not catching em on time you've underrated him more than I've overrated him so no this ain't no stan ? it's just facts get out your feelings bruh

lol ? , I literally said I reflected on what you said and decided you were right about the Collaboration. I admitted wrong and gave you credit and you still in here whining. Ain't no feelings involved for me. You're the one proving your stanhood with every post. Just accept the ? and move on.

Naw it's definitely feelings with you becuz instead of just excepting my reasoning as my reasoning and moving on you decided to try and clown my reasoning as sum stan ? only to reflect on it and realize I was right..... pull your skirt down and toughen up becuz if this how you gonna act for this whole series you tryna do you gonna have a lot more egg on face moments lol
  • SlimRemy
    SlimRemy Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Options
    all the stuff happening and the arguments can be significantly reduced if we created that Categorical Standards sticky, and then use the sticky to reference or build arguments. so it becomes more objective. otherwise its just everyone stating their favorite, without really having anything to compare and contrast.

each category needs at least five songs to be referenced to explain or use for judging against. like if "I've Got A Story to Tell" is one, then maybe number two could be Slick Rick "Children's Story," "I Used to Love H.E.R." could be another storytelling standard, "Lodi Dodi," by Snoop Dogg can be another one, "Da Art of Storytellin" by Outkast.

and judge accordingly. but for each category. but what is considered a classic or level 5 should be established prior in that stickied thread.

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    T/s

Jay is a good to great story teller

Momma loves me

Meet the Parents

Friend or Foe

A week Ago

I Know

Fallen

Soon You’ll Understand

D'evils

Song Cry

Edit: 3 is fair... I'd maybe give him a 3.5

Think the aforementioned songs are also a good basis to boost his creativity score a notch

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can't knock his accomplishments but dang yall on his tip heavy ....
    that make ? worse
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yall as fans shouldn't have to over force his dominance

Yall act like how the IC goes the rap game goes like

dude's career depends on yall's over excessive stanning

it's like beating a dead horse

just let ? be and open your mind up to the idea of other music dude

voice that you aint gotta stan Jay-Z every 20 minutes it's disgusting

They don't do this on other rap websites the reason is notorious ....

You come in here the place is practically dead ... could it be the over stanning

like I said u can like dude but just keep it to yourself a lil more often

you can't make 1000 j-z posts a month that's over saturation .....
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options
    I really dont see a case for jay taking on whatever style of rap is popular at the time

He tends to stay in his own lane

Works with the same producers for the most part

Can u give examples
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Yall as fans shouldn't have to over force his dominance

Yall act like how the IC goes the rap game goes like

dude's career depends on yall's over excessive stanning

it's like beating a dead horse

just let ? be and open your mind up to the idea of other music dude

voice that you aint gotta stan Jay-Z every 20 minutes it's disgusting

They don't do this on other rap websites the reason is notorious ....

You come in here the place is practically dead ... could it be the over stanning

like I said u can like dude but just keep it to yourself a lil more often

you can't make 1000 j-z posts a month that's over saturation .....

? wtf is you talking about ain't you got sum KB Kidnappa thread to attend to somewhere or something
  • Nechesh358
    Nechesh358 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Options
    Jay got story telling...meet the parents is one of the goat stories in hiphop
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Naw it's definitely feelings with you becuz instead of just excepting my reasoning as my reasoning and moving on you decided to try and clown my reasoning as sum stan ? only to reflect on it and realize I was right..... pull your skirt down and toughen up becuz if this how you gonna act for this whole series you tryna do you gonna have a lot more egg on face moments lol

You got it all out now? Go get some Jay juice and run along now lil man.
    T/s

Momma loves me

Meet the Parents

Friend or Foe

A week Ago

I Know

Fallen

Soon You’ll Understand

D'evils

Song Cry

Think the aforementioned songs are also a good basis to boost his creativity score a notch

Aight, I'll listen to the songs now with an open mind. A 3.5 might be warranted.
    I really dont see a case for jay taking on whatever style of rap is popular at the time

Can u give examples

What is his lane though? It always seems to align with what's popular. When it was Mafioso rap, that's what he did. Granted, with the Life and Times albums, he did seem to carve out his own niche. However, he moved on. When the South started to rise, he made sure to jump on tracks with Southern artists to the point that people acted like he was the reason those artists were hot. When Hipster rap was catching on, that's what he was doing. Now when you got more conscious rapper trying to battle back against the mumble ? , he drops 4:44.

I'm not trying to call him a biter, but he does seem to ride trends a bit. I think that's part of the reason he's stayed relevant, because he can actually ride those trends believably.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought this thread series was gonna be lit. Just lock this ? up
  • GetoBoy
    Options

T/s

Momma loves me

Meet the Parents

Friend or Foe

A week Ago

I Know

Fallen

Soon You’ll Understand

D'evils

Song Cry

Aight, I'll listen to the songs now with an open mind. A 3.5 might be warranted.

Can u give examples

What is his lane though? It always seems to align with what's popular. When it was Mafioso rap, that's what he did. Granted, with the Life and Times albums, he did seem to carve out his own niche. However, he moved on. When the South started to rise, he made sure to jump on tracks with Southern artists to the point that people acted like he was the reason those artists were hot. When Hipster rap was catching on, that's what he was doing. Now when you got more conscious rapper trying to battle back against the mumble ? , he drops 4:44.

I'm not trying to call him a biter, but he does seem to ride trends a bit. I think that's part of the reason he's stayed relevant, because he can actually ride those trends believably.

Jay juice??? That's the corny stuff you came up with??? Lol aight man you must be on your period or something so I'ma let you cook
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    Thought this thread series was gonna be lit. Just lock this ? up

We've had a lot of Jay topics. I think people may be tapped out on discussing him. I'll probably just do the Biggie one sooner than expected. I'm listening to the songs @Madame_CJSkywalker suggested right now to see if I need to push that storytelling score up.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

T/s

Momma loves me

Meet the Parents

Friend or Foe

A week Ago

I Know

Fallen

Soon You’ll Understand

D'evils

Song Cry

Can u give examples

Lol

Examples

And what eaxctly is hipster rap?

4:44 was introspective but to say it was conscious rap is a stretch

Jay did some work with UGK, Jeezy and a few other southern but to say he was taking on their style of rap or riding a trend is a reach

His lane? Mafioso, coke raps

He's never really deviated too far

Otherwise we know he was influenced by big, nas, etc
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2017
    Options

T/s

Momma loves me

Meet the Parents

Friend or Foe

A week Ago

I Know

Fallen

Soon You’ll Understand

D'evils

Song Cry

Can u give examples

Lol

Examples

And what eaxctly is hipster rap?

4:44 was introspective but to say it was conscious rap is a stretch

Jay did some work with UGK, Jeezy and a few other southern but to say he was taking on their style of rap or riding a trend is a reach

His lane? Mafioso, coke raps

He's never really deviated too far

Otherwise we know he was influenced by big, nas, etc

Whatever you want to call that phase that Kanye and other artists went through where they were making supposedly artistic albums but it was really just ? . People usually associate that Magna Carter album with that. Call it what you want too.

I didn't say he was taking southern rap styles, but he made sure to associate himself more with Southern artists when they caught a buzz. He wasn't really one of the few NYC artists working with them prior to that.

He's always had songs about drug dealing, but he didn't really go RD deep with it again until AG. Outside of that, it was just general hustler/shotcaller/balla type music whether it be about drugs, the music business, or whatever endeavor he wanted to address.

Anyways. I'm still torn on the storytelling. I forgot how good Meet the Parents was. He's definitely a dope storyteller, but still that's a pretty small portion of his overall catalog. I'll bump the Storytelling score up to 3.5. I'll also bump his Creativity score up to 2.5 since a couple of those stories are more clever than I gave him credit for. And if nobody has any other major issues, I'll move on to Big.
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm curious to see BIG score
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Jay Final Score: 36.5

A little higher than my initial score, but I believe its fair. On to BIG.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    waiting for Like Water to come in here like a lil whiney b and say lock this ? up
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Yo I searched Young Buck on the reason and didn't see the topic covered where he goes off on j-z

If your gonna cover the positive you should have fair coverage when it's not so positive

You can't be lil girls and close every thread cuz it doesn't reflect how you like on j-z

You gotta take the good with the bad and be a man about it not act like a lil kid talk ? then lock up a thread

cuz your lil pissy feelings got hurt be a man about this ? ... it aint the end of the word
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Stop crying cuz ? wasn't published that day spoiled lil brats ... really just trying to find something to b at

ofcourse I would of saw the young buck thread if someone would of made it

but yall aint posting the ? cuz it don't reflect the way you like

so i find it later on when i run across it ... big freaking deal the main problem is you act like girls when it comes to j-z wanna lock ? up and everything .... that's the only reason your ? and whining
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody ban this unstable ? man