Does Method Man have any "Classic" albums?

Options

Comments

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? doesnt have an ear for beats, i figure. His solos fall flat because of that. Nothing else bad to say about his work.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got 1
    qawshun wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Tical is Classic. Not because it's the most musically together piece of work. But because, ? was huge and Tical was one of the most anticipated Albums of that Era. It then helped to usher in and cement Wu as a musical force as well as other artists to come in the game without a gimmick. Just crazy beats and grimy top notch MCing.

That's the same era, in fact the same year Illmatic and Ready to die came out. Redman destroyed his album on the month of the man with Dare is a Darkside. Tical wasn't even better than Keith Murray first album The most beautiful thing. But he did kick off the Wu solo acts.

How is Blackout one and 2 included? You might as well include the album with Rea and Ghost then too. And Blackout was a classic. But ? as a solo artist have 0 classic albums. But 4:21 was his best.

you buggin, keith murry didn't not have a better Lp than tical

To me it was. Tical was a disappointment to me. I had a argument with some BK ? about who was going have the better album Red or ? in 94. I was repping NJ hard. They called me crazy. About a month later one of those BK cats apologized to me and admitted Red ? on ? . But as for Keith Murray. It had better production, better lyrics and was super solid. It wasn't a classic back then. But had more of a positive review than Tical. ? was saying Tical was the weakest album from the Clan for the the first 5-6 years and then Tical 2000 came out and took it place.

Its true. I remember when Redman and Method Man's albums both dropped. I remember being over one of my homies cribs and he was saying that Redman's album had better beats.

Remember the hype that 50 Cent had before GRODT? Method Man had the same kinda hype but Tical didn't live up to expectations. Imagine GRODT without In Da Club, Wanksta and Many Men.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got 1
    Also from what I understand Tical had to be revamped because of the flood that destroyed RZA's computers. He lost parts of Tical and I think all of Decks debut.

Worst tragedy in hip hop history

Word I didn't realize Deck had an album slated for 1995. I'm sure it would've been a certified classic if dropped in that era (classic wu tang joints back and forth)
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    Only Rae n ghost got single classics out they camp
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope

Imma have to give props to GZA Liquid Swords
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Imma have to give props to GZA Liquid Swords

Imma have to admit I neva heard that album
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    qawshun wrote: »
    Tical is Classic. Not because it's the most musically together piece of work. But because, ? was huge and Tical was one of the most anticipated Albums of that Era. It then helped to usher in and cement Wu as a musical force as well as other artists to come in the game without a gimmick. Just crazy beats and grimy top notch MCing.

That's the same era, in fact the same year Illmatic and Ready to die came out. Redman destroyed his album on the month of the man with Dare is a Darkside. Tical wasn't even better than Keith Murray first album The most beautiful thing. But he did kick off the Wu solo acts.

How is Blackout one and 2 included? You might as well include the album with Rea and Ghost then too. And Blackout was a classic. But ? as a solo artist have 0 classic albums. But 4:21 was his best.

you buggin, keith murry didn't not have a better Lp than tical

To me it was. Tical was a disappointment to me. I had a argument with some BK ? about who was going have the better album Red or ? in 94. I was repping NJ hard. They called me crazy. About a month later one of those BK cats apologized to me and admitted Red ? on ? . But as for Keith Murray. It had better production, better lyrics and was super solid. It wasn't a classic back then. But had more of a positive review than Tical. ? was saying Tical was the weakest album from the Clan for the the first 5-6 years and then Tical 2000 came out and took it place.

Imo ? could've kept tical 2000, out of the 1st few wu solos yeah it prolly was the weakest. Lol it took me years realize red was better. I thought ? was the end all be all at one point. After the riddler song i felt different that song was the fall off for me. But i feel funny voting no classics tho. Much as i liked tical i rarely listen to it but i would check for a ? feature dude still nice
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "YOU'RE ALL I NEED" W; MJB IS HIS ONLY CLASSIC ANYTHING
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    BRING THE PAIN, RELEADE YO DELF, SANDMAN & PLO STYLE ARE CLASSICS TOO.

TICAL HAS CLASSIC MATERIAL, IT'S JUST NOT A CLASSIC ALBUM.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got 1

Why are you quoting me when I clearly said "Tical is Classic. Not because it's the most musically together piece of work." there were certainly more cohesive pieces of work at the time. Bottom line though is Red, Murray, and even Nas wasn't as big as ? . ? was so popular he was the only feature on RTD.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    Derrick Coleman of rap. smh
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    He got 1
    THE_R_ wrote: »

Stimulation
    Tical
    Mef vs Chef
    OG All I Need
    What The Bloodclot
    Sub Crazy
    Biscuits

Yo the whole album bangs. That straight raw ? . Classic. Ya ? buggin.

And Tical 2000 had fire. Just too many tracks.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, Tical and blackout
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got 1

Stimulation
    Tical
    Mef vs Chef
    OG All I Need
    What The Bloodclot
    Sub Crazy
    Biscuits

Yo the whole album bangs. That straight raw ? . Classic. Ya ? buggin.

And Tical 2000 had fire. Just too many tracks.

One of my favorite songs off this album. The story behind this song is pretty dope. I think biscuits is the only song that I skip.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope

Why are you quoting me when I clearly said "Tical is Classic. Not because it's the most musically together piece of work." there were certainly more cohesive pieces of work at the time. Bottom line though is Red, Murray, and even Nas wasn't as big as ? . ? was so popular he was the only feature on RTD.

Impact and anticipation without the music is not a classic. If you can take pick 10 of the best albums from 94,would Tical be on the list? Tical was good album. Period. An album can't be classic because of the hype.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope

Impact and anticipation without the music is not a classic. If you can take pick 10 of the best albums from 94,would Tical be on the list? Tical was good album. Period. An album can't be classic because of the hype.

But people were like, really really looking forward to the album tho.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got 1

Yes I would. More importantly I never said, the album didn't have good or even great music. Which, I thought it did. I just didn't think it was as cohesive as other pieces of work from that time. You need to read my post again, where did I say the album is classic because, of hype? I clearly stated other factors in addition to the music. Which, is an obvious criterion for a which, an album can be deemed classic. A more modern example would be GRODT. That album isn't the most lyrical or musically put together piece of work either. But 50's impact shifted how other artists made music in addition to how big of an artists he became. If you factor in all things that album is considered classic by many.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    kzzl wrote: »
    ? doesnt have an ear for beats, i figure. His solos fall flat because of that. Nothing else bad to say about his work.

This has always been my main issue w/ his albums. ? 's beat selection is trash. You can't say enough about having a good ear for beats. A rapper can be super dope lyrically w/ a body of work that is garbage because of the subpar beats.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 classics
    Tical & Blackout are classics
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    He got 1
    Albums in 94

1. Illmatic
    2. Hard To Earn
    3. The Sun Rises In The East
    4. Southernplayalisticadillacmusik
    5. Ready To Die
    6. Resurrection
    7. Blowout Comb
    8. The Diary
    9. Word Life
    10. Super Tight
    11. Regulate...G Funk Era
    12. Dare Iz A Darkside
    13. Ill Communication
    14. Thug Life
    15. The Main Ingredient
    16. On The Outside Looking In
    17. We Come Strapped
    18. Everything Is Everything
    19. Amerikkkas Nightmare
    20. Thug Life

? , Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers all came out in November 93 and got played all the way into

Also, Doo ? had a tape called Spring One that got circulated around town.

I'm not saying that all of these albums were better than Tical, but there was a lot of competition in 1994. Tical might have been a top 10 album in 94, but I wouldn't call it a top 3 album. I wouldn't even call it a top 5 album.

Having said that, every album on my list can't be a "classic".

Or can they? Is it possible that 20 albums came out in 94 and they were all classics?
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope
    S/O TO
    THE GRAVEDIGGAZ: 6 FEET DEEP
    ORGANIZED KONFUSION: STRESS - THE EXTINCTION AGENDA

• 5 Grand
    Options
    He got 1
    S/O TO
    THE GRAVEDIGGAZ: 6 FEET DEEP
    ORGANIZED KONFUSION: STRESS - THE EXTINCTION AGENDA

Cosign

So the question remains; how many of those albums are "classics"?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Nope
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Albums in 94

1. Illmatic
    2. Hard To Earn
    5. Ready To Die
    6. Resurrection

7. Blowout Comb
    8. The Diary
    9. Word Life
    10. Super Tight
    12. Dare Iz A Darkside
    13. Ill Communication
    14. Thug Life
    15. The Main Ingredient
    17. We Come Strapped
    19. Amerikkkas Nightmare
    20. Thug Life

? , Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers
    all came out in November 93 and got played all the way into

I'm not saying that all of these albums were better than Tical, but there was a lot of competition in 1994. Tical might have been a top 10 album in 94, but I wouldn't call it a top 3 album. I wouldn't even call it a top 5 album.

Or can they? Is it possible that 20 albums came out in 94 and they were all classics?

All of those albums are easily better than Tical then and today.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Albums in 94

1. Illmatic
    2. Hard To Earn
    5. Ready To Die
    6. Resurrection

7. Blowout Comb
    8. The Diary
    9. Word Life
    10. Super Tight
    12. Dare Iz A Darkside
    13. Ill Communication
    14. Thug Life
    15. The Main Ingredient
    17. We Come Strapped
    19. Amerikkkas Nightmare
    20. Thug Life

? , Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers
    all came out in November 93 and got played all the way into

All of those albums are easily better than Tical then and today.

You missed number all of them