Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Koltrain wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but when has he said he doesn't want to play?

No one said he said that he didn't want to play. I said this in another topic and got a lot of Wack reactions for some reason even though its fact. When pro players in pretty much any sport are on the verge of being out of the league and they want to make a case for staying, they basically spend the whole off season working hard to make that case. They get personal coaches, train with other big name players, try to improve where people say they are lacking, make performance tapes to send to teams for consideration, etc... That's pretty much the expectation for players who are trying to stay in the league. Kaep really hasn't done that, and people who are in the business of deciding if teams are interested in certain players have noted that. I believe you can be a pro athlete and activist. It's been done before. But I also believe that commitment to one can impede commitment to the other. That's the case for anything. If some feel that Kaep should have been dedicating the off season to preparing for this season, they aren't out of line to question his commitment to football when he seems to basically have spent the entired off season doing activism and philanthropy.
    Bruh.

There's what 30, 32 teams? 3 QBs each

All 90+ of those QBs aint better than Kap, period. He doesnt have to do Extra ? to prove ? to anyone. Im pretty sure this offseason has been no different than previous ones training-wise.

Black QBs always have to do extra ? . Protests aside, we know that NFL has never been fair with black QBs, especially those who don't play the traditional game well. So it's just not true to say that Kaep didn't need to prove ? . People have been calling him out for years on his inability to play in the pocket, so at the very least, if he thought he was on the way out, he would have done something to promote the idea that he was working on that problem.

Again, I'm not suggesting anything above and beyond. If you were about to get fired from your job and you had performance assessments that constantly pointed at one negative. Wouldn't you try to prove that you fixed that? I don't know. I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I just don't think you can dismiss this line of reasoning.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Same dude who played with Vick fresh out of prison.. he never said Vick was a distraction

He explained the difference
    Vick is a great talent, worth the distraction.
    Kap is not.

Was Riley Cooper worth the distraction? Because he ain't lobby to get him off the team after he called that black woman a ?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Same dude who played with Vick fresh out of prison.. he never said Vick was a distraction

Kap is not.

Was Riley Cooper worth the distraction? Because he ain't lobby to get him off the team after he called that black woman a ?

To be fair, he did mention that he would no longer respect him as a man for that.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

Kap is not.

To be fair, he did mention that he would no longer respect him as a man for that.

Man gtfoh with he had a job though.. and got re-upped
  • blackrain
    Options

Kap is not.

But he didn't call him a distraction...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No one said he said that he didn't want to play. I said this in another topic and got a lot of Wack reactions for some reason even though its fact. When pro players in pretty much any sport are on the verge of being out of the league and they want to make a case for staying, they basically spend the whole off season working hard to make that case. They get personal coaches, train with other big name players, try to improve where people say they are lacking, make performance tapes to send to teams for consideration, etc... That's pretty much the expectation for players who are trying to stay in the league. Kaep really hasn't done that, and people who are in the business of deciding if teams are interested in certain players have noted that. I believe you can be a pro athlete and activist. It's been done before. But I also believe that commitment to one can impede commitment to the other. That's the case for anything. If some feel that Kaep should have been dedicating the off season to preparing for this season, they aren't out of line to question his commitment to football when he seems to basically have spent the entired off season doing activism and philanthropy.
    Bruh.

All 90+ of those QBs aint better than Kap, period. He doesnt have to do Extra ? to prove ? to anyone. Im pretty sure this offseason has been no different than previous ones training-wise.

Black QBs always have to do extra ? . Protests aside, we know that NFL has never been fair with black QBs, especially those who don't play the traditional game well. So it's just not true to say that Kaep didn't need to prove ? . People have been calling him out for years on his inability to play in the pocket, so at the very least, if he thought he was on the way out, he would have done something to promote the idea that he was working on that problem.

Again, I'm not suggesting anything above and beyond. If you were about to get fired from your job and you had performance assessments that constantly pointed at one negative. Wouldn't you try to prove that you fixed that? I don't know. I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I just don't think you can dismiss this line of reasoning.

People really lose sight of the fact that ALL he did was kneel and wear funny clothes.

Everything else has been the Worlds reaction.

He didn't do anything wrong, he shouldnt conform to anything Jay Culter wasn't subjected to to get another gig
  • Stew
    Options

Kap is not.

Man gtfoh with he had a job though.. and got re-upped

I ain't vouchin for the ? , just sayin
  • Stew
    Options

Kap is not.

I think that goes without saying if u say u don't respect your teammate to the world but yall got it.
  • blackrain
    Options

Bruh.

People really lose sight of the fact that ALL he did was kneel and wear funny clothes.

He didn't do anything wrong, he shouldnt conform to anything Jay Culter wasn't subjected to to get another gig

The only questionable thing was the Castro shirt and that's because Cubans, and rightfully so, take issue with him. They got Ozzie Guillen out the paint for that ? and he's far more loved in the baseball world than Kaep ever was a football player. They don't play that ? in Miami..but still even that ain't enough to get black balled for out of a job
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even the anonymous GM said it isn't about skill
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kap is not.

players and coaches who were part the 49ers last year have stated that kap's protest wasn't a distraction

colin said he didn't plan on kneeling this season, so how will his team be distracted again?

The media attention and possible fan backlash(which is wack) is what they call a "distraction" because whomever signs him, the media will give zero ? bout the actual team its gonna be all bout kap from then on out regardless of if hes even playing, not defending mcoy or anything but thats pretty what the distraction would be, more so a ? ton of extra attention some good some bad
  • blackrain
    Options

Kap is not.

I think that goes without saying if u say u don't respect your teammate to the world but yall got it.

He's the one who chose those words not me. Ain't like Riley Cooper was an all pro. He wasn't advocating for him not to be resigned...
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20434294/hank-aaron-says-colin-kaepernick-getting-raw-deal-naacp-seeks-roger-goodell-meeting-qb
    HenryAaron says Colin Kaepernick 'getting a raw deal'; NAACP seeks Goodell meeting over QB

Baseball legend Henry Aaron and the NAACP have weighed in on the fate of unsigned quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Aaron, in an online video published Wednesday by AllThatTV, said he thinks Kaepernick is "getting a raw deal" and called on an NFL team to give the outspoken quarterback "a chance to do his thing."

Later Wednesday, the NAACP said that it is seeking a meeting with Roger Goodell to discuss Kaepernick, writing in a letter to the NFL commissioner that it is "no sheer coincidence" that the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback remains unsigned.

Derrick Johnson -- the NAACP's interim president and CEO -- says "no player should be victimized and discriminated against because of his exercise of free speech."

Kaepernick became a controversial figure last year after he refused to stand for the national anthem in what he called a protest against oppression of people of color. He opted out of his contract in March and became a free agent.

The Baltimore Ravens and Seattle Seahawks both have looked into signing Kaepernick this offseason.

Aaron, who faced racial prejudice when he broke Babe Ruth's all-time home run record in 1974, specifically mentioned the Ravens -- his favorite team -- and general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"[Kaepernick] has gone to all these camps, I suppose, and nobody seems to think he stands a chance to be a No. 1 [quarterback]," Aaron told interviewer Roland S. Martin. "Here's a man, a young player, that almost carried a team to a championship, to a Super Bowl. I think somebody needs to give this man a chance."

giphy.gif

Meeting with Goodell is a waste of time
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Bruh.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're losing sight of the fact that even before he started kneeling, he was already being criticized for his football playing ability. ? has gone down hill for him after that Superbowl and after Harbaugh left. Keep in mind, when he started kneeling, he wasn't even starting. He was a back-up. So people acting like he's some kinda elite QB that's being treated like trash because he kneeled are exaggerating. He was a QB that still had some talent, but needed the right system and some work before he kneeled. Now he's a QB that still needs to be in the right system and still needs some work on top of being unfairly treated because he took a stand.

And I don't like Jay Cutler, but he's demonstrated better pocket passing than Kaep over a longer period of time. You can't just say that Kaep deserves a spot over him. Cutler's career numbers are better than Kaep's and he can probably be more easily integrated into a lot of these systems out there.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

Bruh.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're losing sight of the fact that even before he started kneeling, he was already being criticized for his football playing ability. ? has gone down hill for him after that Superbowl and after Harbaugh left. Keep in mind, when he started kneeling, he wasn't even starting. He was a back-up. So people acting like he's some kinda elite QB that's being treated like trash because he kneeled are exaggerating. He was a QB that still had some talent, but needed the right system and some work before he kneeled. Now he's a QB that still needs to be in the right system and still needs some work on top of being unfairly treated because he took a stand.

And I don't like Jay Cutler, but he's demonstrated better pocket passing than Kaep over a longer period of time. You can't just say that Kaep deserves a spot over him. Cutler's career numbers are better than Kaep's and he can probably be more easily integrated into a lot of these systems out there.

You've already admitted that you are UNINFORMED yet you keep posting about ? you UNINFORMED
    about.

Just read the whole article in the link provided!!

"You have to design an offense to fit Kaepernick, which is why he wouldn't make for a good backup."
    You know, most of the people who say this can never answer if you ask them to explain what they mean. Besides the fact that many, many teams have incorporated a lot of the college spread concepts that some folks think are the only things that Kaepernick can do well, there is also the fact that the overwhelming majority of passes that Kap threw last year came from the pocket.

No, seriously.

I had a former GM tweet to me that Kaepernick was basically a quarterback who only excelled at throwing on the move. I wonder how that squares with the fact that Kap only ran 38 bootleg/half roll/waggle plays in 11 games.

Or the fact that of those 38 plays, only 30 of them resulted in a pass attempt.

Or that of those 30 pass attempts, he completed only 16 ? for a 53 percent completion percentage, well below his overall completion rate of 59.2 percent for the season.

Mind you, Kaepernick attempted 331 passes last season.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/14/16058454/colin-kaepernick-film-breakdown-free-agency
  • blackrain
    Options

Bruh.

Kaep was also playing injured when his decline started. Then the team he came back to was nowhere near as good as the one that made the SB run. ? they have used everything from the protest to him being a vegan as "evidence" he doesn't want to play. They using anything they can and you just mirroring their talking points.
  • blackrain
    Options

I knew it was only a matter of time til someone brought up the fact that Jim Brown beat women ? up. ? done used up that pass people gave him
  • Moore7s
    Moore7s Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wait. Brown really said kap is desecrating the flag and national anthem?

I let the trump thing slide.. But he might really be lost

hhmr6l5b9tey.jpg

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Kaep was also playing injured when his decline started. Then the team he came back to was nowhere near as good as the one that made the SB run. ? they have used everything from the protest to him being a vegan as "evidence" he doesn't want to play. They using anything they can and you just mirroring their talking points.

The ? had some bad seasons period. I'm not mirroring anything. I'm just stating facts. People are making it seem like Kaep was a MVP contender before this all started. He wasn't. A lot of teams weren't checking for him then, so I'm not sure why you guys are acting like every team now wants him, but is refusing to take him because of blackballing. If you think Kaep is being blackballed, fine. I say the same thing. But why are ? acting like I'm saying something crazy just by suggesting that some of the teams that aren't picking him up are doing so for football reasons and not as a punishment?