Be Honest..........TDE Is Overrated And They've Under-performed As A Label

Options
JJ_Evans
JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in The Reason
This much-talked about label has been in existence since 2004 and has been spearheaded by arguably the industry's top hip hop artist, Kendrick Lamar. The roster includes the following highly praised names........

-Kendrick Lamar
-Schoolboy Q
-Ab Soul
-Jay Rock
-SZA
-Isaiah Rider
-Lance Skiiiwalker
-Punch

While riding the publicity and accolades attached to Kendrick Lamar, this label has put out a total of 17 studio albums, in which only 5 of those albums have been certified either gold or platinum, while the other 12 have not sold well.

Other labels have had no problem riding the publicity wave of their top star to create success for the rest of their label. Ruthless, Ruff Ryder, Rocafella, No Limit, Death Row, Bad Boy, Aftermath, Shady Records, Cash Money/Young Money, and even MMG. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others.

Even if you're a stan of Kendrick Lamar, you have to admit that TDE has dropped the ball.

Comments

• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are they overrated?

• JJ_Evans
    Options
    How are they overrated?

It's laid out in the OP.

Jay Rock, Ab Soul, and Schoolboy Q should be household names by now. TDE dropped the ball.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Odd Future got more talent as a collective
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    90 % of those types labels are dissapointment
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think KDot anywhere near as good a rapper as a lotta people so. From that perspective I may agree, but Kendrick, SZA and Q all make dope dope dope music and that's the most important thing.

Meh I dunno.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    They definitely dropped the ball with the Black Hippy project.

Ab Soul is basically in Rap Purgatory.

Jay Rock has more potential at this point than Ab Soul, but doesn't have that Star Factor, just a hood ? that can Spit. Too ducked off from social media and the world until he drops a project

Isiah Rashad puts out solid projects, just needed more label push and press runs and singles.

SZA has her own Cult Fanbase, she'll do fine whether she's on TDE or Not. She has her own unique lane on the Label

Nobody even knows who Lance Skiiwalker is...or even Cares lol

Sir is on the label too, but they don't push him at all, he's basically a Secret Character in a Video Game at this Point but has his own lil Fan Base

So yeah, imo they have underperformed as a Label.

They needed more Artist Development and to Guide their Artists more. At times it just seems like besides Kendrick's album they just provided the rest with some Nice Beats, Ali to Mix that ? and told them to put whatever the ? out.

No ? way should they have let Ab Soul ass put out "These Days" & "Do Wilt Thou WHATEVER THE ? ITS CALLED" after Long Term 2 and Control System.
    You ? forget Jay Rock exists 6 months after he drops an album.

Props for the breakdown.

This is the type of hip hop discussion that I was looking for when I made the thread.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My girl hates SZA

Ab Soul trash
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    easily overrated but Kdot is successful
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick and J Rock are tight. Sza good for the women,..Schoolboys 1st album was nice.... all the rest are overrated because they get boosted up due to association.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Who the ? is Lance skiiwalker & sir???

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

SiR has a nice set of EPs and wrote for Jill Scott, collabs with Paak, and other good names.

https://youtu.be/BaYATSpDtHA

Lance has one album that's kinda all over place. Good production on it though.

https://youtu.be/pk4ZhTtdpC8
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Kendrick and J Rock are tight. Sza good for the women,..Schoolboys 1st album was nice.... all the rest are overrated because they get boosted up due to association.

Why u look like akedemics cuzn?
    n5ID7UEOAEJPK.jpgclq78s77rqkg.jpeg

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TDE has more classic albums than MMG and young money put together and thsts from just 1 artist so theyve been passed them

Plus ? album sales....schoolboy got 2 albums that are fire, jay rocks last album was solid and some ppl think control system is the best TDE release to date

• JJ_Evans
    Options
    I think the word you're looking for is under-achieved. The skills and great music is there. There's nothing overrated about them.

Nah, I wanted "overrated" because I believe that they are. People on this and other sites held them to a very high standard.

That word "under-achieved" is basically the same as the word "under-performed" that I used.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    This is what happens when you try to be new and fresh all the time you run out of places to go

you can only be new and fresh so many times before you just new and not fresh ...
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That "Sir" joint is tight
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    TDE has more classic albums than MMG and young money put together and thsts from just 1 artist so theyve been passed them

Plus ? album sales....schoolboy got 2 albums that are fire, jay rocks last album was solid and some ppl think control system is the best TDE release to date

Nah bro.

Cash Money/Young Money spawned multiple hit albums by Lil Wayne, Drake, and Nicki Minaj.

I would say that MMG (Ross, Meek, Wale) has produced more household names than TDE. Yea, Kendrick is a beast, but he's basically the only household name on the label. That's one of the ways that TDE has dropped the ball.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SZA has her own Cult Fanbase, she'll do fine whether she's on TDE or Not. She has her own unique lane on the Label

Cosign. Great artist. I love that ?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need a Black Hippy album for 2018