Options
KamPushMe
KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's discuss them.

Comments

• $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anthropology .... what the ? do they do?
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    everybody i know that got a communications degree had to go back for a masters in something else
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ISDS or any 4 year IT degree. Get some certs now
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    everybody i know that got a communications degree had to go back for a masters in something else

Wasting their time and money
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all degrees can be considered worthless if u get a degree without an actual education

or if the way u paid for ur degree puts u in a financial bind that u can't get out of without assistance

u can get a STEM degree from a great school and still struggle to get a job because u didn't really learn how to extract the true value out of your degree

or u can get a law degree and have already spent $180K to get it, and then end up with a $30K job afterwards

it happens :(

That's obvious my mulatto
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    I sadly possess a liberal arts degree. Ready for the mockery

Why bruh lol
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gender and Women's studies

Art history

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    IceManKam wrote: »

This is true and false.

Can you get into IT without a degree? Yes, you can self teach yourself how to program, test, design databases etc..

But more than likely you will be jumping contract to contract because most companies wont hire a permanent worker without a degree.

Can you make a lot of money without a degree? Yes. 70-100k after a few years of experience.

But will you make as much as people with degrees? No.

Can you move up to management roles without a degree? Very rarely.

So in conclusion, for those who are interested, you should self teach and get certs to get your start in the tech field, and as soon as your in, go for a Computer Science degree. In this way you can live comfortably while going to school, and pay school out of pocket and never have student loans, and once your done you dont have the disadvantage of not having a degree.

Best of both worlds.

Co-sign the entire post. Some companies will pay for you to go to school as well.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    I sadly possess a liberal arts degree. Ready for the mockery

Why bruh lol

Lol i actually went for a communications degree with some dream of becoming a sports broadcaster but I didn't take school as serious as I should have and was lazy when I interned at a radio statio. They don't make much starting off and my grades were too low so I changed my major. Got a minor in communications though, that counts as something right??
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I majored in political science with minors in sociology and communication studies
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sociology, psychology, anthropology, criminal justice were some of my fav classes. All worthless.
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Useful 4 year degrees:

1. Business / Business Administation: BY FAR the most useful four year degree there is. You can parlay this into any job: sales, management, investment, etc

2. Foreign Languages: every single large organization in the country right now...be It healthcare / hospitals, corporations, the federal government...needs translators and interpreters. Get some education classes under your belt and you can teach too.

3. Computer sciences: it's a no brainer. Computers are everywhere in our society now and having formal education in programming, software design, digital security etc will almost guarantee employment.

4. Engineering. This is another no brainer. There are no unemployed engineers, whether they be electrical, computer, Civil or mechanical.

Caveat: they're often not 4 year programs. May need an extra year in. But worth it.

Somewhat Useful 4 year Degrees:

1. All the STEM degrees. Don't get me wrong. Sciences are hot and you can make a career from them. But pretty much ALL of them require more education beyond a Bachelor's if you want to be competitive. Physics, biology, chemistry, biochem...if all you have is a BS then all you're gonna get are high school teaching jobs or lab assistant jobs.

Go for the Ph Ds tho and you're golden.

2. Sociology / Social Work. You can get jobs with these but the jobs pay ? , are grueling and there's very little room for upward mobility. Only follow if it's a passion

Useless 4 Year degrees:

1. ALL Art degrees. Sorry. If you got talent you got talent and you don't need a diploma to prove it to buyers. Your product would sell itself. This goes for Art History too.

2. Philosophy. You can get exactly ONE job with a philosophy degree: teaching philosophy in college to other ? .

3. Communications: I have no idea what this Degree gets you. Everyone I know in radio, broadcasting and TV / Movie production has degrees in other ? .

Somewhat Useless 4 Year Degrees:

1. History / Anthropology / Psychology / Education, etc. These degrees are "somewhat" useless because they're employable but very very limited in their scope. You usually can get one type of job with it and that's it.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're in tech and u don't plan on owning your own business seemingly "? " degrees are not too valuable in the short term but highly valuable in the long run.
    Any degree. Even something totally unrelated.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Anthropology .... what the ? do they do?

That's good money on that field
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Criminal Justice seems to be pointless from what I see.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 year degree in Crimnology from Florida State.. useless. but it was the only thing i enjoyed learning. oh well.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    riddlerap wrote: »
    4 year degree in Crimnology from Florida State.. useless. but it was the only thing i enjoyed learning. oh well.

Do y'all not know to use those degrees?

http://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com/high-paying-criminal-justice-jobs/
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    riddlerap wrote: »

Do y'all not know to use those degrees?

http://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com/high-paying-criminal-justice-jobs/

? I don't got one.....

I just know quite a few people who letting it sit around collect dust. I'm gonna do this HVAC ? . I get a certificate in 3 months.

bv0d2qb2kxr2.gif

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get it how you live. ? doing all types of ? ? to be in a frat just to graduate with connections and make crumbs compared to the sacrifice and nihgas hustling day to day making more money than a scholar but tricking it off which means they earning minimum wage.

Doesn't really matter how much money you make, it's what you do with it that counts.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @ the femalwme on here with a worthless degree n lives with 18 haiti refugees
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IceManKam wrote: »

4 year IT degrees can get you in the door in ways certs can't. The defense company I worked for would have made you an engineer building ? alongside EE's, SE's, and ME's with a 4 year IT degree. With certs you end up working in the IT department doing IT ? . Not necessarily a bad thing if you're looking to work in the IT department anyways, but there's clearly two different paths depending on what's on your resume.