What is the backstory behind some of your favorite songs?

Options

Comments

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atomic Dog was created by mistake when the reel / tape was put on backwards. They kept it going and recorded to it.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not one of my favorite songs...but the story goes that DMX was in a studio session in the same building as niko and went to buy weed off NIKO from Dru hill and he had the beat to "what they want" playing in the background and X ended up getting more than just bud from the ? , but also one of his biggest crossover hits.
    That story is mad hip hop
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    The Notorious Thugs story might be one of my favorite ones though. ? really woke up ? , laid his first and went back to sleep. What makes the story great is that them bone ? don't really have a easy rhyme pattern or style. Is not some ABC ? that can be mailed in lol
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Notorious Thugs story might be one of my favorite ones though. ? really woke up ? , laid his first and went back to sleep. What makes the story great is that them bone ? don't really have a easy rhyme pattern or style. Is not some ABC ? that can be mailed in lol

Thats not how BIG's verse happened though

The Thug Luv story is way better, the OG was just Pac, Bizzy, and Sylk E Fyne...they did 3 tracks in that session
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its easy when it's your style imo
  • professor x
    professor x Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas ft. Qu'an - Moment Of Silence.. remember the ending to their music video sparked a beef between some of the "7 cities" of Virginia and 50 Cent/G-Unit.
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Thats not how BIG's verse happened though

The Thug Luv story is way better, the OG was just Pac, Bizzy, and Sylk E Fyne...they did 3 tracks in that session

Not big..one of them bone dudes was ? n sleeping in the truck
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    'hit em up' 2pac

A NY hip hop legend Eric b is y makaveli rode on the whole bad boy staff & record label & if ya down wit bad boy ? u 2! Eric told pac he had to b specific on what ny rappers he had a problem with & take they heads off but stop saying ? NY...
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    'hit em up' 2pac

A NY hip hop legend Eric b is y makaveli rode on the whole bad boy staff & record label & if ya down wit bad boy ? u 2! Eric told pac he had to b specific on what ny rappers he had a problem with & take they heads off but stop saying ? NY...

Has Eric b eva acknowledged big? Now that you mention that
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    UGK One Day & Murder

Was originally a Mr 3-2 ft ? C track but he didnt think it was good enough for his album (lol)

? took his throwaway for Riding ? . Bun didnt want to do it because he didnt want to rap about vunerable/sensitive subjects but ? convinced him. Lil Keke was lined up to lay a verse if Bun wasnt down.

In return for Bun agreeing he wanted ? to make an uptempo track he could rap his ass off to to showoff his skills. So ? made "Murder" and Bun recorded his verse in one take.

Also, the day Lil keke and ? were to drop their verses for "One day", ? , Keke and DJ Screw went to a convenience store to get cigars and drinks n ? . While Keke was in the store, the Police pulled up and arrested ? and Screw for marijuana possession for sitting in Screw's car smoking. All' the while Keke hid in the bathroom of the store because He was afraid of being arrested because He had a warrant for his arrest from a sell charge. The whole make up of the song would be different today if not for that moment.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man ya'll tripping

P verse on 4,3,2,1 was hard af

"cut my mic on, its time to get rowdy,
    got homies from da NO to da NY bout it bout it"

i know for a fact thats the only reason i was checking for that song at that time.
  • gee757
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nas ft. Qu'an - Moment Of Silence.. remember the ending to their music video sparked a beef between some of the "7 cities" of Virginia and 50 Cent/G-Unit.

Huh??? The only time bad newz ? wanted to ? woodface was over ski mask way....that is news to me especially when Quan said he was gonna be a gggg-uflop toy soldier if bang em smurf never had chased woodface outta ny 2 Cali n 04 & he needed a check & nas cutted that ill will while woodface was getting chased out his hood/queens..

https://youtu.be/znOseCmzQno
    'hit em up' 2pac

Eric b couldnt have cared too much for big especially when he was aligning himself wit the label deathrow that was gonna destroy bad boy starting with they own former artist Craig mack on deathrow east..
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    One More Chance remix supposed to have Nas on it but Nas got too high smoking with Big and passed out and didn't do the song.

Lil Cease spoke on it on Drink Champs

Oh yeah? That would've been a good look for Nas at the time.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    One More Chance remix supposed to have Nas on it but Nas got too high smoking with Big and passed out and didn't do the song.

Lil Cease spoke on it on Drink Champs

Oh yeah? That would've been a good look for Nas at the time.

I couldnt see Nas on the album version of that track
  • trendsetta1030
    Options

Huh??? The only time bad newz ? wanted to ? woodface was over ski mask way....that is news to me especially when Quan said he was gonna be a gggg-uflop toy soldier if bang em smurf never had chased woodface outta ny 2 Cali n 04 & he needed a check & nas cutted that ill will while woodface was getting chased out his hood/queens..

'hit em up' 2pac

Eric b couldnt have cared too much for big especially when he was aligning himself wit the label deathrow that was gonna destroy bad boy starting with they own former artist Craig mack on deathrow east..

Yea now that I think I neva heard Eric say big was tha goat or king of ny I've heard him cosign nas but neva Big this explains dam @gee757 this was you goat post eva
  • gee757
    edited September 2017
    Options

'hit em up' 2pac

Yea now that I think I neva heard Eric say big was tha goat or king of ny I've heard him cosign nas but neva Big this explains dam @gee757 this was you goat post eva

Eric b was the real reason y Nas & makaveli squashed the beef n ny.......

https://youtu.be/2Cs5IDn0PNU
  • gee757
    Options
    'i got my mind made up' 2pac

https://youtu.be/F21g7YQzCUU

Lol@ that trak sparking the beef between pac & Dre..

• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    Killah Priest told a story that he had sampled Al Green, but Al denied him sample clearance, probably cause Al is an ordained church minister and he wasnt bout to give sample clearance to a guy named "? -a-Priest"

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?124837-Killah-Priest-interview-The-making-of-Heavy-Mental

Killah Priest.........

* Blessed Are Those (? . by Y-Kim) *

"There’s a big story behind this one. That was an incredible time right there. This wasn’t an original beat. They had to go in there and do it again. Al Green wouldn’t clear the sample. I called up Al Green and got on the phone with him. I called him Al Green. Al Green was fronting because of my name "Killah Priest", because he’s supposed to be a preacher and everything. Me and him ended up having words with each other. That’s a highlight of my career. They wouldn’t clear it, so we ended up having to redo it. I still have the original beat. Were going to leak that one out there too."

"This also got the Rhyme of the Month in The Source. I didn’t even think this was that strong. We ended up doing this track towards the end of recording for the album and we just put it in the right place."

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?124837-Killah-Priest-interview-The-making-of-Heavy-Mental
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    man ya'll tripping

P verse on 4,3,2,1 was hard af

"cut my mic on, its time to get rowdy,
    got homies from da NO to da NY bout it bout it"

i know for a fact thats the only reason i was checking for that song at that time.

Lyrical excellence
  • trendsetta1030
    Options

'hit em up' 2pac

Eric b was the real reason y Nas & makaveli squashed the beef n ny.......

https://youtu.be/2Cs5IDn0PNU

Good ? I neva rocked wit big
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao crushing bad boy using Craig mack lmfao, if they lived and that label played out bad boy would've been just fine
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keith Murrays-Call My Name..from his album Enigma was a full track directed at Prodigy

In fact, outside of maybe 3 tracks on that album, the whole album he was obsessed wit P

Give it a listen again, with that in mind
  • gee757
    edited September 2017
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Lmao crushing bad boy using Craig mack lmfao, if they lived and that label played out bad boy would've been just fine

Yes crushing bad boy......bad boy was child's play compared to deathrow n 96 suge was gonna take puff x artist & use him against bad boy.........bad boy didn't have the money or power to start a bad boy west with a x deathrow artist n 96 plus that westcoast artist that fuked wit bad boy would get the Sam Sneed treatment like snoop was about to get B4 Tupac died for that stunt he pulled n ny @ the mtv musik awards....Gene bad boys x bodyguardsaid when puffy got word about how suge was n ny wit some serious ny Kat's n the club partying n 96 puffy was on the phone asking the other guy who was running deathrow east n ny wit Eric b y r y'all embarrassing us(bad boy) like that? & Dude hung the phone up on puff.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options

Yes crushing bad boy......bad boy was child's play compared to deathrow n 96 suge was gonna take puff x artist & use him against bad boy.........bad boy didn't have the money or power to start a bad boy west with a x deathrow artist n 96 plus that westcoast artist that fuked wit bad boy would get the Sam Sneed treatment like snoop was about to get B4 Tupac died for that stunt he pulled n ny @ the mtv musik awards....Gene bad boys x bodyguardsaid when puffy got word about how suge was n ny wit some serious ny Kat's n the club partying n 96 puffy was on the phone asking the other guy who was running deathrow east n ny wit Eric b y r y'all embarrassing us(bad boy) like that? & Dude hung the phone up on puff.

Makes sense
  • gee757
    Options

Makes sense

Gene speaks about that @20:10
    https://youtu.be/ptCMraXOxhs